“Was good could be great” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Shalimar

Hotel Shalimar
Ranked #98 of 123 Hotels in Hammamet
“Was good could be great”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2013 via mobile

Just back for 10 days their. We arrived in the middle of the night and asked for some water and the porter could not understand me. I was so in need of a drink of water but got none. It would have been nice to go to you room and find a bottle of water there.
The hotel is a little way out of hammametshalimartunisa itself but taxis are easy to get.
All the staff were great very pleasant. The animation team we GREAT lays looking after you and so funny.
The food was not the best and as the hotel caters for mainly French guest (there were only 4 British people there) all the food was in French which is good if you can read French I can't so was a bit of pot luck.
The hotel is all inclusive which is great but the all inclusive drinks are a bit scarce 3 cocktails, beer red white and rose wine and soft drinks. I have stayed in all inclusive before and had a bigger choice.
The rooms were clean and serviced daily. The maid was so nice.
The hotel says it is 4 star but it is in my eyes only 3 star.
The beach was good were not bothered at all by people looking to sell you things.
The hotel only has Internet in the lobby which is stunning. Would have been nice to have wifi in the rooms.
All in all was ok. Hope this helps.

Stayed July 2013
5 Thank Irish diner F

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Polish first
Barnsley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2013

I have recently stayed at this hotel with my tunisian husband. We got a good deal £200.94 all inclusive for the both of us. The hotel was very welcoming and catered for mainly couples and families, which was just what me and my husband wanted. Hotel staff were very kind and helpfull. The animation team were excellent and always ensured all the guests were entertained. The pool was amazing and very relaxing. The rooms were very clean and the maids did a fantastic job. Overall we enjoyed our time staying at the shalimar hotel in hammamet and would recommend anyone to stay there. Love Lynn & Chawki.x.x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Lynn A
oxford
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2012

We have recently stayed for a week at the Shalimar on an all inclusive which was bit of a joke. When we turned up at the hotel we were told that there were only 10 guests and we were the only English speaking of course this put a dampner on it straight away.

We arrived at the hotelat about 8.30 pm it was glum only a few lights on and the only food we were offered was a bit of french bread and cheese when I enquired if there was any other food available I was told that the restaurant had closed much to my annoyance. I went to the bar and asked for diet coke and was told that they don't have it which makes a mockery of the all inclusive.

Every day it felt like as if we were asking for a favour everytime we needed any food. I asked for mineral water for our room and they said you can drink it in the bar but if we wanted to take it in a bottle to our room then we had to pay for it.

The some of the staff were very friendly especially Salim (reception manager) Sami hotel manager and all of the waiters and bar staff.

The quality of the food was poor and it was always cold no matter what time of the day it was prepared.

I always like to try different foods hence enjoy buffet but because the hotel was empty that option was not available.

The rooms are clean and tidy but make sure you go in the peak season otherwise you will be disappointed

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank tazOxford
Versailles, France
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2012

Overall hotel not bad but could be better. Described as 4 stars but in the real life i would give 3. We changed 4 rooms and in every room there was something that was not working (TV, shower, light and ext). Condition of the rooms is bad, hotel needs some major repair. The food was good, fresh and good quality. The location is ok, 5 min in taxi from the major tourist attractions. The staff is very very nice they trying to do their best to make the guests feel happy. It was not expensive at all so in the end i was satisfied with my stay.

Room Tip: Bungalows are way better than regular room and cost the same.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank kapriz
Northampton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2011

My husband and I are not fussy eaters and never complain about holidays. However we have had to complain about this one.
We were the only english in the hotel with the bulk being Polish. The food was geared up for this clientelle and was the same every night. They cater for quantity and not quality. The wine in the restaurant was watered down as were the soft drinks in the bar and the liquers. I drink bacardi, but could not drink their local one. For the main part of our stay I drank coffee. I did attempt some of the spirits but more often left them on the table. On a up note the staff were very friendly. The hotel needs a little up dating but was still very clean. However the loungers really do need replacing. We did complain to the rep but didnt really manage to sort out satisfactorily.

Room Tip: Ask what the main clientelle of hotel is.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank Mandy-Anne R

Travellers are raving about these Hammamet hotels

bristol
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2009

On arrival to the last day we were made very welcome the staff made an effort to speak to us in English even though it was a French Hotel, On the first night the Manager Sami ben Mansour came up to us and he knew instantly what room we were in and we were here for the golf by the way was excellent. My idea of going somewhere where there is so many English people is not my idea of a holiday. it was noticeable that they did not peser you for money like some hotels we have been in. We did not stay in the Hotel but in a apartment yes it could do with a lick of paint but it was cleaned every day.The food was excellent so much choice and the puddings were out of this world. The only thing I will tell you not to do if you go to the shop in the Hotel make sure you do not book to see the lady making carpets you will never get out without buying something like me a carpet but that was my fault . The beach was very nice The bar area was excellent not short of a drink or 2.Entertainment at night was very good you did not need to speak french to understand what was going on and the entertainment staff were excellent Good Job well done. I would like to say my first time in Tunisia was an experience. I will go back to this Hotel any time.Thanks for a good holiday. PS if you play golf have a Caddie it is cheaper than a Buggie 20 Dinas £10.00 good value. Well done Le Shalamar

Patricia Grange

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank golf052
Alicante
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2008

I have just arrived back after spending a week in the Shalimar from 30th December 2007 to 6 January 2008 with my girlfriend and her family through Sol Africa. There were 6 of us including my girlfriend's brother and sister under 20 years old - all except for myself are French.
The hotel is very impressive and of a very high standard with plenty to do during the day as there are many organised trips to take part in and the hotel itself has many attractions - even for a winter holiday.
The hotel is mainly dominated by the French tour operator Framissima. This is due to the fact that years before, Thomson were the official operators and simply couldn't provide the hotel with visitors - nearly causing the hotel to close. The Fram reps speak a variety of languages including English, and from what I have read about the UK operators, will be the best people to speak to while there. The evening shows put on by the reps are introduced in both French and English, though you won't understand much of the rest. Even if you are with a different operator, you can also join in their day excursions.
Regarding the food, there is something for everyone but there is a lot of fish - the New Year's Eve party had a set menu including main dishes of fish only. Pizza, pasta, rice, cooked meats, fish, traditional Tunisian dishes, and salad dishes are all readily available in huge quantities. There are also snacks available in the early afternoon of crepes and popcorn for the children. Food is not a problem. There are two bars serving until 11PM, when one closes leaving the other open until 1 AM. There is only one type of beer, but we never saw a different type wherever we went. If you are 'all inclusive', drinks are free until 11PM, thereafter pay attention to the prices!
While away from the hotel, do not be afraid to haggle, and start off with the lowest amount. At the nearby Medina centre, we bought a ceramic wall decoration for 5 Dinar - the price he started at was 150 Dinar! You may find young kids coming up to you saying they recognise you from the hotel as they work there and offering to show you around - they are just hoping you will tip them and do not work in the hotel.

I hate to make any slamming remarks as the hotel and Tunisia in general is a fantastic place to visit and none of us had any complaints. The following is not really the fault of the hotel, but rather the young staff they employ (Fram not included, as they were impeccable).

Unfortunately, if you are a young couple or have female teenage children be careful. Upon arriving you will get the impression that the younger Tunisian male staff catering in the restaurant and the bar have never seen a female before. As a couple, we found that they are not afraid to comment while you are near and can be disrespectful. They are likely to attract around younger females like flies.
The night before we came back, we went to the 'Pub Churchill' to spend the last of our Dinars and enjoy the last night there. The younger sister needed to go to her room and used the stairs. On her way back one of the younger bar staff confronted her in the stairwell and refused to let her leave, pinning her against the wall demanding she kissed him. She did struggle and got away. After hearing what had happened, we reported him to the Fram reps who were also in the bar, they in turn put in a complaint immediately with the head barman. The young barman quickly vanished from the bar and the following morning we were told he had been fired. This is very likely a consolidated case but I would suggest being very careful.
It is sad that an otherwise enjoyable holiday was affected like this, but the hotel does seem to react to the positive and negative that is brought to their attention. I would not expect a repeat and urge you not to put this against booking.

• Liked — Food
  • Disliked — Staff
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled with family
      Check-in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank DrmrES