“Beautiful Hotel but Good and Bad Points”
Review of Lella Baya

Lella Baya
Ranked #36 of 117 Hotels in Hammamet
London
“Beautiful Hotel but Good and Bad Points”
Reviewed 16 November 2013

Firstly I must say that this hotel is beautiful in appearance, our room was lovely and big with a beautiful sea view (4th Floor). Obviously because of the time of year it was very quiet with no activities during the day or evening entertainment except 2 evenings which was a bit of a shame. Check in was easy and shown straight to our room. You can change money at the reception and also pay 20 dinar for two beach towels.

Room
The room was cleaned every day and decorations in the room but I am unsure that the sheets and towels got changed, I got make up all over one of the towels and was never changed. Also there is a label to put on the bed to have the sheets changed but ours went missing after two days and never got replaced. On the first day the chamber maid came and introduced herself which I thought was nice but then everyday when we returned to our room after lunch within 5 mins she would knock of the door to do something she had missed in the room, then the last day came to our room asking if we like to give her something, I always leave a tip for the chambermaid and we had given her a tip half way through the holiday but to be asked I thought was a little cheeky.

Restaurant
There is a variety of food available but as I am a very fussy eater struggled on some occasions to find something to eat. It doesn't really cater for English people, now I know most people would say if you want English food go to Spain, but I did try alot of the dishes but the problem for me was knowing what was in half of them so had to keep asking so I am sure the chef got fed up with me but was always happy to tell me what everything was. The one thing which we found a little bit annoying was having to ask everyday for butter, it is out at breakfast but then not at lunch or dinner, the waiters in the restaurant were very good at remembering and usually brought it to us when we arrived unless our usual waiter wasn't there, also the one of the head waiters (didn't catch his name, little guy with a tash) was amazing! even fetching us chips from the other bar outside, and slices of cheese. It was my birthday whilst we were there and they made a beautiful cake for me and decorated the table.

Bar
The bar is big but not like your typical bar, it is more like an extension of reception, the drinks were awful, the wine was like paint stripper and the vodka was certainly not vodka, it was definately mixed with something, unless you got a drink when they first opened the bottle, one of the bar staff is incredibly moody and very rarely smiled, yet two of the younger bar staff staff were always smiling and welcoming, especially the photographers younger brother (again sorry didn't catch names). On 3 occassions we were told that the wine/vodka was finished, now when you have paid to be all inclusive you don't really expect that, I spoke with the quality manager who is always around the hotel who sorted it out.

Pool
Obviously the outside pool was freezing so wanted to use the indoor pool, we were told you had to pay 20 dinar each (£10) to use it as it was a Thalasso pool, again the quality manager sorted us out a free swim but we didn't use it as the day before we had booked some treatments which allowed you free use of the pool but it was very cold which we didn't expect.

All in all it was a very quiet but relaxing holiday but let down a little by the drinks and food. I would recommend this hotel at this time of year if you want piece and quiet but personally wouldn't return.

Thank you to the quality manager, the waiters and a couple of the bar staff for making our holiday as pleasant as it could be.

Room Tip: Although we got a sea view room if you get a pool view you can see the sea anyway so best of both.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ann S
JamesB39981, Quality Manager at Lella Baya, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Dear guest,

In the name of the entire team of the Vincci Lella Baya, I would like to thank you for your confidence in our hotel. Your loyalty is greatly appreciated and we feel honored you have enjoyed your holidays with us .

Your friendly words regarding our excellent team of staff are highly appreciates and a great source of motivation to continue with the pursuit of the highest level of quality service and customer satisfaction for our guests. We will ensure that your compliments regarding the attentive and excellent service provided will be shared with the entire team.

Once again we would like to thank you for sharing your wonderful experience with us here on Tripadvisor. It would be a great pleasure to welcome you in the future again at our Hotel Vincci Lella Baya.

Kind regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Julianadorp, Noord-Holland, Netherlands
Reviewed 9 November 2013

In October we went here for one week and it was amazing. A beautiful hotel with beautiful people. The rooms were big but cozy, the staff was amazing and very kind and the animation was wonderfull. We aspecially want a big applause for the animation team. They had great dance shows, always had things the do during the day and always came and chat a bit. We had an amazing Holiday

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank AnitaV8937LU
JamesB39981, Quality Manager at Lella Baya, responded to this review, 10 November 2013

Tunis, Tunisia
Reviewed 4 November 2013

Old rooms and furniture so expect things to malfunction.
No adequate bed covers, pillows.
Worst food ever.

We did choose this hotel because of the its reputation as one of the good hotels in Hammamat but unfortunately was not the case. the rooms were quit old and the furniture too. bath tab, fridge, and balcony door was not working. they did fixed after.

The bar, the restaurants had the worst cocktails and food eve along the day, no exceptions at all. tonight we had the worst dinner ever. even a 1 star hotel serves a better dinner that what we had.
the bar and restaurant staff were good guys helpful when you need them. but as a whole the service was not good.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Bechir S
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for choosing our Vincci Lella Baya hotel for your holidays in Hammamet and for taking the time to share your personal impressions on your stay so we can take your vision into account to improve in our daily work and guarantee great holidays to all our guests which ultimately is the goal of Vincci Hoteles.

We deeply lament reading that our gastronomy did not meet with your expectation. we read your comment on our cuisine very carefully as the gastronomy is one of the prime pillars of our company; although we are very sorry to hear that you didn’t appreciate this aspect of your stay with us, we would like to point out that our buffet restaurant has a 15 days rotation menus and our chefs do their utmost to prepare a wide variety of typical local and international delights to please all palates, we lament reading that we couldn’t conquer yours.

Once again, we apologize for not meeting your holidays’ expectations on this occasion and commit to do our utmost to improve.

Kind Regards,

Travellers are raving about these Hammamet hotels

Hitchin, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 October 2013

I have stayed at this hotel twice, both with amazing rates from Thomas Cook working out as about £250 all inclusive for a week. We had a beautiful room, looking out over the pool and gardens towards the sea. It was wonderfully quiet despite the number of people staying. Both times I went, the majority of guests were Tunisian and the families were very predominantly lovely with their children and made the atmosphere warm and welcoming. The maid who took care of the room would arrange new towels on the bed beautifully with rose petals and other fresh decorations. Maids also wet the floor with rose water after really careful sweeping in the mornings so the whole reception area smelt gorgeous. The room was always kept extremely clean and was very spacious. The restaurant food was varied and fantastic for anyone who enjoys salads and a wide variety of vegetables as well as supplying meat and fish eaters with a range each night. Chefs would decorate and arrange the food to make it even more appealing. There is also a really voluptuous hamman and spa (with a wide variety of treatments) as well as the hot water indoor pool which is therapeutic. I really can't fault the place and would thoroughly recommend that Thomas Cook make it available to its customers year round.

Room Tip: Ask for one with a view of the pool.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sue2013333
Dear guest,

In the name of the entire team of the Vincci Lella Baya I would like to thank you for sharing your wonderful words regarding our hotel and your experience here on Tripadvisor.

I would like to thank you for your praising words towards our excellent team of staff. With great devotion for hospitality and dedication to customer satisfaction we work together to ensure our guests enjoy the unique experience we offer with the exclusive services of the Vincci Hoteles. I will make sure that they receive your kind words on the excellent service they have provided you with during your stay.

We very much appreciate it that you rate our All Inclusive formula as “value for money”. The extensive All Inclusive package that we offer our guests is a great way to enjoy the exquisite gastronomy and excellent cuisine of our hotel to the fullest

Once again I would like to thank you for sharing your wonderful words with us here on Tripadvisor. The entire team of the Vincci Lella Baya is already looking forward to your next visit to our hotel.

IJmuiden, Noord-Holland, Netherlands
Reviewed 26 October 2013

I went for a week to Tunisia with my parents and sister and it was a week we will never forget. Everybody was so nice and everything was perfectly arranged.
The animation team was great. 3 young boys full of life and always with a smile. They had volleybal, waterpolo, aerobics, table tennis and lots more.
Even when we were playing cards, Coco of the entertainment team joined us and played along. We danced and laughed en they made our holiday one we will never forget.
I will definetly come back just to see all of them again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank NicolevD22
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for your wonderful review here on Tripadvisor and for having chosen our Vincci Lella Baya for your visit to Hammamet . It is a pleasure hear how much you have enjoyed your stay among us and that you even have rated your stay ¨. It is a very encouraging compliment to hear that we have been able to fulfill your expectations with the unique services and excusive facilities we offer with our Vincci Hoteles concept.

Once again, on behalf of the entire team of Vincci Lella Baya, we would like to thank you for your friendly words and compliments here regarding our exclusive services and unique facilities. It would be a great pleasure to welcome you again at our establishment.

Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 October 2013

Please read this fully to gain a great understanding of this hotel, the service & area. To start off, this is an all inclusive hotel, if you are one of these brits that moans if a foreign hotel doesn't offer nuggets, fishfingers and chips every day, then please go to search & type in "Benidorm" or "Butlins"

~ The Hotel

Most of these type of all inc. hotels are fairly samey, large buildings, big square buildings and rooms. This is what attracted us to the Vincci lella baya, and it didnt dissapoint. The whole place has lots of character & the way it has been designed is superb, see my photos for a better idea. When we pulled up on our transfer everyone else on the bus was saying "wowww"

~ The Staff

You arrive at reception, there are many nationalities at this hotel & all the staff speak minimum basic level of all of them which I find brilliant. Reception are always polite & helpful. In the restaurant the waiters are great, we often used the same small waiter that covered one corner of the restaurant, he was always helpful & attentive & for that reason we often left small tips. Not one member of staff EVER gestured or looked like they were asking for a tip which I found good too. The chefs were great too, I often went to the grill & the young lad there once saw me walk up see there was none cooked so I left and sat down. 5 minutes later he came over with a player of grilled chicken & chorizo for me. Again, little attentive things like this leave a great taste in your mouth (No pun intended)

The BEST are the 3 animators, Coco, Carlos and Pawlo. These three young guys work tirelessly throughout the day and night to keep everyone happy and entertained. If you dont want them to bother you they just let you relax, otherwise they get games like table tennis, volleyball, water polo, anything, we even had a game of Uno with them! Theyre very competitive and often wind each other up during team games which is so funny! But they are always up in the morning, they talk many languages and make everyone feel welcome. They also provide the entertainment at night which can be great, often very funny also. Theyre great with young ones too with a kiddies disco before the main entertainment every night. one friday we wanted to go to nebeul market, it was Coco's day off. So he offered to take us, it was superb, he was like a private guide! He showed us how Tunisians get around which was interesting too. He even bought us gifts to remember the holiday by which was a lovely touch. So we bought him one in return. Again things like this make the whole holiday a great memory. we will definitely be visiting these 3 guys again soon!

~ The Food.
The food was always a good variety and always had some authentic tunisian food on offer. I enjoyed trying all sorts, and I enjoy meat, to which there was always plenty available. Always veg, potato, bread, fresh salad, soup...LOTS of different fruit and deserts. If you cannot find anything to fill you up then you have issues!

~The Room
Our room was nice and spacious, decent bed, great view of the sea and ALWAYS kept clean.

~Facilities. Free WIFI which most hotels dont offer, Also Safety boxes were only 3 dinar a day or something, so for a week it would cost you about £10. So much cheaper than in greece and spain where it can often be 30-40Euro.

A special note also to the photographer Tatyano. He is a very nice person and friendly, we played Uno with him too! We had private photos done on the beach and he was BRILLIANT. He even did edited some for us, and we were over the moon, superb quality and great value.

The pool area was always clean, never saw anything bad in the pool. Private beach was nice with bar too.

Over all, I would visit again and again. we would often walk along yasmine looking at other hotels thinking "thank god were at this one" Another great touch was a by a gentleman called hedi (I think) I started chatting to him after he changed some money for me. In the end he asked my room number and when we got upstair that evening he had left a HUGE bowl of fresh fruit. Again, personal touches like this really make you feel welcome.

bad Points (Trivial)
~ The only real sour taste was the barman at pool bar. he was SO slow. he would often be wiping something, and just casually carry on as lots of people waited. He just didnt care and rarely smiled. he also accused me of getting all inclusive drinks for non all inclusive guest to which angered me and left me feeling uncomfortable around him for the days afterwards.
~ Tennis - they have tennis courts, the first day we went to play we were given rackets and balls free. The next day we were told it cost 7.5Dinar. Now I wouldnt mind, but the rackets had no grips and the balls hardly bounced. If you are going to charge then the equipment should be adequate in my opinion. Now many wont mind, but I was looking forward to playing as I play back in England so it was a shame.

All in all, unless you are paying lots of money for a top of the range 5 star hotel, you wont find better than this. The value for money is the best, great staff, great service, great hotel. A holiday we will always remember

Room Tip: Pool view rooms are the best!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Thierry R
JamesB39981, Quality Manager at Lella Baya, responded to this review, 12 November 2013
Dear Guest,

Our main goal being to offer a dream holiday to our guests we sincerely appreciate your encouraging comments and are glad to read that you had a lovely holiday at the Vincci Lella Baya.

We also want to thank you for your nice comments towards our animation staff, their enthusiasm is contagious and they strive to offer a wide variety of leisure and sport activities throughout the day as well as entertaining evening shows for the amusement of our guests.

Moreover, the passion for gastronomy is one of the prime pillars of our company and we greatly appreciate your praising comments on our buffet offer

Once again, thank you for your visit, we hope that you had a pleasant journey back home and to have the pleasure of welcoming you again in our hotel at your earliest convenience.

Warmest Regards,
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed 18 October 2013

We booked this hotel for 1 week in Sept 2013, and we had a great stay. The staff was very friendly and always tried to have a conversation with you. Also the animation team was organising nice activieties such as volleyball and football on the beach, waterpolo, aerobics, pingpong, etc.
The hotel is definitely the most beautiful one in the area. The hotel is clean and the rooms are very spacious.
My husband and I celebrated our wedding ceremony there on their private beach, as the hotel offers a very nice package for this. We had 33 guests all staying in this hotel, and all we were satisfied.
The only thing that could improve a bit is the food. It was certainly okay, but not much more than that. There was variety and there were days that I liked almost everything, and days that I didn't like it much, but it was not something bothering me a lot.
Overall, I really recommend this hotel!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Dear ,

We greatly appreciate the time you spent to share your recent holiday experience at our Vincci Lella Baya hotel and we thank you for your strong recommendation to Tripadvisor’s readers, we are always glad to read that our guests bring back home some beautiful memories of their holiday among us.

Once again, thank you for your praising review; we hope that you had a pleasant journey back home and to have the pleasure of welcoming you again in our Vincci hotels in the most beautiful destinations worldwide.

Warmest Regards,