“Stunning hotel, fabulous holiday!”
Review of Lella Baya

Lella Baya
Ranked #36 of 117 Hotels in Hammamet
“Stunning hotel, fabulous holiday!”
Reviewed 18 August 2014

I have recently returned from a week at the Vincci Lella Baya with my son and friends family. On arrival we were quite blown away by the stunning appearance of the hotel, quite unlike any other.
We arrived at 1am on Sunday 10th august and one of our rooms only had 2 beds instead if the required 3, but all credit, the hotel arranged for an extra bed to be brought and it was, within half an hour.
The staff were very friendly and helpful (and we didn't tip until the end of our stay).
The beach was not great, as recently something had caused a lot if sea weed and sludge to be churned up and it was also quite littered, but as a public beach this is not a problem which could be solved by the hotel. Perhaps Thomas Cook should advise holiday makers that it is a public beach!
However this was easily compensated by the beautiful pool area at the Lella Baya.
The all inclusive was a little disappointing and did sometimes make us feel like second class citizens with separate limited menus at the pool bar for lunch, although the restaurant was also available. We chose not to eat in the restaurant at lunchtime as it was the same choice food as the evening meal. Also the ice cream and ice lolly freezer was not part of the all inclusive, which caused a few problems for the staff as there was no sign to tell guests such. I can definitely recommend the pool bar pizza though... Lovely !
Special praise must be given to the new animation team (who arrived on the Sunday that we did). Rico, Max, Jazz and Titto are fantastic, they really made our holiday a fabulous one. They were friendly and engaging and really got everyone involved so that all nationalities could enjoy being together and having fun. Both for the daytime activities and the evening. Thanks to animation we met some lovely guests, enjoyed our evening entertainment and have come home with some wonderful memories.
All I can say is that your holiday is what you make it, there are some issues for the hotel to iron out, but certainly nothing to stop me from recommending the Lella Baya.
I wish I was back there now :)

Heidi (Staffordshire)

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank HeidiJayneS
hannibalcarthag02000, General Manager at Lella Baya, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Dear Heidi,

The management team would like to thank you for the information about your stay in our hotel.

Your friendly words regarding our new animation team are highly appreciates and a great source of motivation to continue with the pursuit of the highest level of quality service and customer satisfaction.

Please accept, dear Heidi, the best expression of our feelings and we are looking to welcome you among our customers soon.

Vincci Lella Baya Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Carlisle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2014

I recently stayed here with my fiancee and we were really looking forward to it as it looked fantastic,when we arrived we thought it looked amazing then we got to reception and things started going down hill,the room wasnt ready which was fair enough as we arrived at 11 in morning
by this time we were starving having not eaten on the plane, so we asked about where to get something to eat which we were told we just missed breakfast and lunch wasnt until 12 and the snack bar opened at 1. We tried the pool bar which we got a plastic menu with a choice of burger and chips or pizza! laura had a burger which looked like a burnt tongue and it was frozen in the middle,mine was the same which i asked the waiter for a fresh one anyway 15 mins later the same burger i sent back came back burnt as the chef put the whole thing back in.
The main restaurant was a bit better but not alot of choice and nothing presented well, all i had all week was different types of potatoes, The hotel toilets were a mess i wouldnt even let a rat stay in them,the staff were ignorant apart from the odd one.
There were more than a few people complaining about other and the same things.
The beach was filthy litter everywhere. To get to the point we wasted a good amount of money to come home feeling like we never went on holiday, we will not be recomending it too anyone and if anyone is stupid enough to go at least dont go all inclusive then you might get treated like a human being

Room Tip: somewhere in the centre of the hotel is a bit quieter
3 Thank laura588333
hannibalcarthag02000, Manager at Lella Baya, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Dear Laura,

We apologize for the inconvenience you described and specially with your experience with your first Burger (in the couscous land).

The management team

Travellers are raving about these Hammamet hotels

Oxford
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

Stop please read this before you book at this hotel, I never wrote a review in my life, I have been however travelling in many different type of accommodation from youth hostels to 5 stars hotel.
This one was my worst experience.
Starting from the receptionist , most unhelpful to the waiter/ bartender rude and rude for all the 10 days my family and I spend in the most awful place on earth, for English people, the only way we got server was if we spoke another language like Italian, which then made us " my friend"
Our balcony door was broken room 100 by the way, we asked several time to be repair .. No chance, we asked to move rooms they were full they asked us another 400 dinars per week to move I'd already spent a fortune by the way, in the end I used my belt and manage to close and secure it. ( sea view) more than sea view was the noisiest and the horrid view with a dual carriage way between use and the beach Very loud music has been played from 12 pm until 1 am, all the shops underneath our window were making sure that we could not sleep until the earliest hours in the morning, then the local boys took it upon them selfs to use the strip as a drag strip in the early hours of the morning to do stunts and race for hours, unfortunately we had payed the all inclusive tariff so we could not afford to go anywhere else.
The food was bad, so bad that all the three of us fell ill for most of the 10 days, the only good point is I have lost 5 kg! Please please don't go there ever please be aware this hotel is so bad, they had to bring in all new entertainment staff and managers to try and put things right, you need to know the truth about this place DO NOT Go !

Stayed August 2014
4 Thank Dorothy I
hannibalcarthag02000, Manager at Lella Baya, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Dear guest,

We would like to thank you for publishing your feedback regarding your experience in our hotel, although we are sorry that your stay with us was not as we would have desired. We would like to inform you that we take note of each and every observation, complaint, suggest and comment made by guests, always with the aim of improving.

The hotel decription shows that the Hotel is right on the road and in summer time it can be a bit noisy till midnight.

In reference to the service of the restaurant, we inform you that we always try to maintain a good level of food quality and a varied menu trying to provide the best choice for our customers. For that reason we have a cycle of menu which changes every day. Of course national food in tunisia is not as spicy as indian food.

We would also like to repeat our most sincere apologies, should you have perceived at any time during your last stay a lack of due attention. This was never the intention of Vincci hotels, the Hotel Management or hotel staff.

Best regards,

Derby
Reviewed 13 August 2014

We stayed here for 2weeks from 26th July - 9th August.
When we first got there (about 1am) we was both amazed and wowed by how nice the hotel looked both from the outside and inside, the staff on reception were very welcoming although their English wasn't fantastic, it only took about five minutes to get checked in. When we got to our room we wasn't amazed by the standard of the finish as it was a little old looking....but it did blend in with the style of the hotel (a castle) the room was very spacious, with a very big balcony which had a fantastic sea view. The only downside was the window/door to the balcony wasn't very sound proof, so if you wanted a early night (pre 10.30ish) you could hear the cars,people, horse and carts on the road below. The pillows were a little on the thin side, I had to double mine up as they didn't have spare pillows anywhere.
The food was ok, breakfast was bit limited, croissant,omelette or pancakes, dinner time they had an AI menu and a paying guest menu, which you could order from but there was a charge for this, the AI menu consisted of either spaghetti, pasta,pizza or burger. The pizza was very nice and made to order, you could only choose either 4seasons or margarita but very good. The burgers were ok but very thin. The BBQ menu which you had to pay extra for looked very good but we didn't try that as was very happy with the pizza. The staff were very friendly as we'll, at busy times it sometimes took a few minutes for them to come to you but that was fine, they didn't bring drinks to you but this wasn't a issue as we got a drink before we sat down to the table and if needed another drink would just get up and take the 5steps to the bar, and get served fairly quickly. Our first drink of the morning at the pool bar was coke and the bar staff remember and would start pouring as you start walking up and have little joke about it with you. The evening food was nice but wasn't the best I've had, their was a lot of their style of food (to be expected) but some of it was very spicy, the beef, lamb dishes were very very good, and they had full pieces of chicken which was very nice and moist. They had full fish which was bit off putting as you had to de-bone it yourself. Deserts were good there was plenty of variety. Their was one waiter in particular who was very nice, always polite and seated us, who seemed to work around near the deserts section of tables, we didn't get his name as his name tag was very worn, but he use to get us drinks when requested, or if our glasses were empty he would offer to fill them again which was very nice, unlike some of the staff who don't even get you clean cutlery. We tipped the waiter between 1 and 5 dinars every couple nights as we thought it was well deserved. The reception bar was very nice, we didn't have to wait long for drinks, some British people were very rued and blunt to the bar staff, we found if your courteous and polite you get served and get a good response back from the staff, manners don't cost anything!!!
The pool was very nice the first week we was there their were no Brits mainly Russians and French and you could go out at 11am and be guaranteed a sun lounger, the second week there was loads of towels out at 7.30am and people leaving them empty until 11-12 o'clock..... Which was out of order, which meant others didn't have loungers! That's when we noticed lots of Brits had arrived and were being selfish taking up loungers and then going off on trips or going to the beach.
The hotel had its own section of private beach which was across the road, this had a bar to which was very good.
Be carful when paying for the safe which is 3 dinar per day, we paid in advance then when checking out they tried to charge us again, after explaining to one of the deputy managers who was behind reception at the time he said ok everything is fine, we just had to sign to say already paid. We sat down waiting for our transfer pickup to the airport, then another guy from behind reception (who was abit of a idiot, he had sort of ginger hair) made us go back to our room to get the receipt we got from when we paid for the safe, which we had ripped up, and out in bin, then when bought back down the manager we spoke to before said its fine and there's no issue. So I think this other guy was a bit if a jobs worth, so just be wary.

Overall would I stay here again??? YES is the answer, as we had a fantastic time here, and it's only a 3hour flight which is a added bonus.

If go out for food the steak house in the medina was very good and the rovers return which was on the sea front (near the view bar,opposite side of road) Which served English breakfast, and fillet steaks were very good from here, which cost about 26 dinar which was well worth the money.

Regards

Craig

2 Thank Craig_S8311
hannibalcarthag02000, General Manager at Lella Baya, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Dear Craig,

Your friendly words regarding our excellent team of staff are highly appreciates and a great source of motivation to continue with the pursuit of the highest level of quality service and customer satisfaction.

Please accept, dear Craig, the best expression of our feelings and we are looking to welcome you among our customers soon.

Bourne, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 August 2014

First off, I would definitely come here again but it has to be said there are a lot of issues to iron out here. I have just returned from a 1 week stay at this beautiful hotel and had a fabulous time with my children. This is down to our attitude of making the most of things and the fact that we made lots of friends and accepted "how things are".
By all accounts this is the first year the hotel has been all inclusive and as such the staff treated all inclusive like second class guests. I got the impression that they thought we were getting things for free rather than understanding we had already paid! Guests who paid cash (not all inclusive) got a much better service, better drinks and nicer meals and tables. Be prepared to tip every time in the restaurant and bar if you want good service. It wasn't until we started to tip in the restaurant daily that we were given separate cutlery for our deserts!!
During our stay the animation team were fired due to a theft (as far as rumour has it) and a new group brought in. This improved things greatly. The new animation team , Rico, Jazz, Max and Tito were fab and really got the place jumping. The leader of the previous crew made crude and sexual jokes to some 14 year old girls (including my daughter) and had he not been fired that day I would have complained bitterly as well as sorting him out myself!
The rooms are basic and from what I can make out, are allocated according to how much you have paid for your package. I was told that all I needed to take on my holiday was my passport, however, on arrival at the hotel, they needed to see the breakdown of what I had paid for my holiday!
So to the positives.. this is a stunning hotel with a private beach and plentiful sun beds by the pool and at the beach. The new animation team are fabulous, fun and friendly with great banter and a helpful attitude; you can join in as much or as little as you like. The food is superb and plentiful with lots of choice and if there is nothing you like, there is always a pasta and salad bar available. If you are a fuss pot with food and only like british fayre, I would suggest you holiday in Blackpool and not Tunisia:-) The rooms were cleaned daily and though basic, they had functioning air con and plenty of hot water for showers etc…
In a nutshell, your holiday is what you make it, if you look for issues you will find them. This is a stunning hotel with some problems on the customer service front. Tip daily, be polite, smile and have fun.
Special thanks to the photography team, the new animators and the great people we met.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank sampaps
Dear Customer,

The management team would like to thank you for your very fair review and the information about your stay in our hotel.

Your friendly words regarding our excellent team of staff and especially the new animation team are highly appreciated and a great source of motivation to continue with the pursuit of the highest level of quality service and customer satisfaction.

Please accept, the best expression of our feelings and we are looking to welcome you among our customers soon.

Birmingham, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2014

We spent 10 nights in Yasmine Hammamet at Hotel Vincci Lella Baya as a family holiday. They speak French, Spanish and Arabic. Only the staff at the hotel seemed to speak and understand English otherwise outside of the hotel it was quite tricky to communicate. The hotel staff were very welcoming upon arrival. We arrived around 10am and was allocated our rooms promptly. The lobby has an amazing layout, extremely spacious with everything you may need. An arcade upstairs, a small convenience store and a welcoming bar. The wi-fi however was quite tricky at times to connect but not a major issue. The lobby toilets and the toilets by the outdoor pool were not clean at all, no toilet roll and the cubicles were filthy. We had two twin bedrooms which were presented neatly, were very clean and well laid out. Fresh towels were provided everyday and beds were made. We were on the first floor room 157 and 159 which had the balcony view of the poolside of the hotel next door. Music playing until 2am but was not a huge disturbance. The entertainment team were amazing. Made us feel welcome and a part of the hotel the very same day. They held activities for all to participate in throughout the day and held different shows every night. Cabaret and Mr Tunisia being a personal favourite. The entertainers were full of energy and once again extremely pleasant. The hotel reps organise various activities like Camel/Horse riding, quad biking, boat trips, henna tattoos etc. at very reasonable prices. We went quad biking and Camel/Horse riding which was a great experience. Transfer taxis to the destinations were arranged there and back and lasted a few hours for each activity. The beach was at the back of the hotel where all he water sports were held. There was a stall near the Marina that had best prices for each of them. As we are all vegetarians the food was very limited. Pizza, Chips, Pasta and Paninis. It got quite repetitive after the 3rd day which kind of put us off the holiday, even at the restaurant they held a buffet each evening priced 80dinars each but was yet again very limited for vegetarians. So this is something that you should take into consideration if you don't eat meat. The breakfast had a wide range of choice and was nothing to put at fault. The Chocolat Chaud from the coffee machine was absolutely amazing. The weather was very warm reaching up to 43 degrees one of the afternoons. The pool was very clean and had no issues with out tourists. There is a theme park and water park at the Medina which is towards on the left of Lella Baya when leaving from the front entrance with many restaurants. A 10minute walk turning right from the back entrance of the hotel we found an English restaurant, The Return of the Rover's Inn. The owner was very kind and offered to make us a Jacket Potato even though it was not on the menu. They done a traditional full English restaurant which being English is a necessitate. The only place I found that had baked beans. Overall I thought that this was beautiful holiday, great city and friendly people. If you are Vegetarian make sure you look into possible options for food other than that I would recommend this holiday destination.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Dear Kam,

Your friendly words regarding our excellent team of staff are highly appreciated and a great source of motivation to continue with the pursuit of the highest level of quality service and customer satisfaction.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

Hotel Vincci Lella Baya . We arrived in the early hours of the morning to a stunning hotel which quite simply knocked our socks off !! End of positives. Rooms were ok, clean but dated and if you closed your eyes to the bird poo on the balcony you could cope with staying in them. We went on an all inclusive package which seemed to give the staff the right to treat you as second class citizens,as opposed to guests paying as they went. We were treated with absolute contempt and rudness time and time and time again. We had backs turned on us by bar staff who ignored you for as long as possible both at the pool bar and in the hotel bar. The poolside restaurant was no different offering a bbg !!! which for all inclusive guests like us meant we could eat a dry pizza or a beef burger, no drinks you had to go through the double wammy of being ignored twice by getting them yourself from the pool bar.To summersise this is the worst holiday I have ever had , complaining gained us a bowl of fruit and a voucher for one to have a wet treatment!!!!!! What we wanted was to be treated like every other nationality. The entertainment would have been great had I had the brain capacity of a 5 year old. Please don't go. we could not wait to get the hell out of there. Tunisia and Lella Baya wont be seeing us again

7 Thank Kim R
hannibalcarthag02000, Manager at Lella Baya, responded to this review, 10 August 2014
Dear Kim,

We apologize for the inconvenience you described. We take note and we will certainly address these shortcomings.

Please accept, dear Kim, the best expression of our feelings and we are looking to welcome you among our customers again.

The management team