“Great budget family hotel”
Review of Samira Club

Samira Club
Ranked #66 of 119 Hotels in Hammamet
Reviewed 20 October 2012

We have just returned from 16 days at the Samira Club and we all had a great time. we were a family of 5 I travelled with my husband and 3 children aged 15,14 and 11.
Check in was quick efficient and friendly even though we arrived after midnight, all inclusive was over so we were given bottles of water until the following day. We were shown to our room which was at the back in the green block nice and quiet although a little dark a bit more lighting on the paths would be useful.
The complex consisted of little blocked bungalows, there was a yellow block, blue, orange and green, if you have any walking difficulties I recommend asking for the yellow as it is closer to all the amenities.
The rooms were basic but clean and gave a very authentic feel with a small area outside with patio furniture. The bathrooms consisted of a bath, shower, sink and toilet clean towels and complimentary soap and shampoo.
The restaurant was very spacious and clean, waiters were not miserable it was just their lack of understanding english which made them a little hesitant. The food was good, breakfast consisted of your usual breads, sweet pastries, cereal, toast, cooked meats, doughnuts, boiled eggs and sometimes fried eggs and fruit, sorry no omelettes. Drinks tea, coffee, hot chocolate and fruit juices. Lunch and dinner had a variety of fish, beef, turkey, lamb and mutton dishes with a wide selection of vegetables and bread, desserts were also very nice tirimisu, fruit and chocolate mousse to name a few.
Snack bar was open from 10am til midnight, fries, pizzas, rice potatoes, bread, pastries and salads on a rotation basis as well as unlimited icelollies from the all inclusive fridge, the one with the lock on is with charge.
Every day around 4 til 5 outside the snack bar there was doughnuts freshly prepared.
Pool area, was cleaned every morning, we always got 5 sunbeds together but then we were there before 8 am, my advice is to get up a little earlier for breakfast to avoid and rush.The entertainment was good with archery, water polo,aqua aerobics, boccia and stretching all done on a morning, music and dancing was limited at the pool which was disappointing but when the did the atmosphere was great, The animation team was really good our kids got on really well a special mention to Mario and Baganda who were great. The beach looked clean and tidy although the only time we used it was for a parachute ride which I really recommend at only 30 dinar, book with super Mario on the beach.
The afternoon entertainment varied, there was a tournament every day of either football, volley ball, ping pong or archery as well as arabic lessons, step classes etc. The kids club had a play area as well as free games consoles etc.
The bar was great, the waiters are fab once you show them a little respect which sadly lacks with the clientèle of this hotel, when they know what your drink is, they have it ready for you whether you tip or not.
The evening entertainment is poor unless you like cheesy drawn out dancing and bingo followed by an ok show which starts around 10.15pm
There was an onsite night club but cannot comment as I didn't use it,
On the whole this hotel was great here are a few negatives
There was a bit of a wasp problem around due to people leaving ice lolly wrappers, uneaten food, half full drinks, they could address the issue with maybe some traps of some description, sadly I was stung but it did not ruin my holiday.
The lighting around the complex could be better as it does get very dark.
All in all a fantastic hotel which I would definitely return.

Room Tip: if you have disabilities ask for a yellow room as it is closer to all amenities of the hotel, the or...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank tina1973

Reviewed 7 October 2012

I enjoyed my stay at the Samira because it ticked two on my list for a break, sunshine and peace as I was travelling on my own. Once I understand the 'rules' in securing a lounger, I was good to go!

My room was very clean and well maintained. I can't thank the ladies that cleaned my room enough. They were charming and caring. The smell of fresh jasmine flowers in my room made me feel special and welcomed

Although none of the staff were rude, some staff were defenitely more pleasant then others. The younger bar staff (male) were a bit too moody for my liking. A smile goes along way and is a quick win with your customers.

The food was the only let down. I expected more fresh fruit, local cuisine etc.
A.I. should not be an excuse for lower standards. Toasting bread was a mission every morning.
Quick win, go back to basics but do it well. Cut down on the choices and make sure what you offer is the best quality.

The entertainment, yes it was cheesy but that was part of its charm. I chuckled to myself everytime I heard the music and watch them go through their routines. Part of going on holiday is to experience new things, so cheesy a la Tunisian style is one for my memories.

Overall, it was good to very good mainly because of the price and beauty of the Tunisia. To be excellent, a little bit of TLC to some of buildings (especially the beach bar) better food and a smile would make such a big leap. Especially in a A.I. package were you would spend a majority of your time within the hotel.

As for me, I loved every minute during my first ever solo trip abroad. Thank You!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Ellbee2012
Reviewed 23 September 2012

Oh my goodness, where do I begin?? This was my 6th visit to Tunisia, a country where I have never had a complaint with a hotel, 3 or 4 star. When we arrived, we were taken to a room which itself was basic but acceptable, until we went in the bathroom - the shower was dirty and the towels?? There were 3 mismatched towels that looked like cleaning rags: one brown, one black and one cream, with a big brown stain on it! I was nearly in tears but we decided to sleep there for that night as it was about 4am and then ask to be moved the next day to another room. We were, and to a better room, well, better in appearance but there was a gap in the door which meant that we felt the other guests were actually IN our rooms with us; noisy was not the word! The rooms are little bungalows which are quite cute in a rustic sort of way but you cannot hang anything outside on the 'balcony' area for fear of it being stolen. Mt partner's towel was stolen too by the way, but from the restaurant where he left it on the seat; he enquired about it after but was told very abruptly by on eof the plethora of rude, miserable waiters that no, he hadn't seen it. This brings me on to the next topic, the waiters: ok, in an all inclusive resort you don't expect to be treated like a superstar but a smile maybe? Not having your glass slammed down in front of you when you are polite at all times? I went to the main bar for a drink during the day and asked for a fizzy water in French but got the word for fizzy slightly wrong. What???!!!! The very young waiter screwed his face up and then ignored me. 'Perhaps if you actually looked at me when I was speaking to you you'd understand?' I said. The other waiter had understood as he quickly passed me the water. At the beach bar, my husband, who is Tunisian, heard the waiters slagging off the guests and moaning in Arabic, while they were serving as well. Another waiter at breakfast made an eating motion with his hand on the dot of 10am ( breakfast was 7-10am)to my husband and said: 'Monsieur, Monsieur!' asking him t eat and go immediately! I told him he would have to wait and then a minute later he did the same thing! The manager, to is credit, did apologise, but really! And finally, the food..........Spam lasagne anyone? Tough, unrecognisable meat? 'Fish' dried out beyond recognition? Fried donuts every day with never an omelette or fried egg? Luke warm soup, pizza like uncooked dough with a scrape of tomato puree?? The worst food I've ever eaten in a hotel anywhere! Thank God, I ate with Tunisian fmaily a lot and went out to a few restarurants as there is no way my stomach could have physically stood this rubbish for 2 weeks!

The plus points? Well, it's on the beach, the sea of which is lovely, the pool area is big ( but the pool dirty...) and the location is great for nightlife. But there are many superior hotels nearby. I would never ever stay here again; look around; there are 4 stars for the same price. And as for the people who have rated this place 'excellent', they were either bound and gagged for their stay or they have been paid to say so....Sorry, I'm not fussy but this was ridiculous! Bring back Basil Fawlty!!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank BallaPerdida
Reviewed 20 September 2012

Hotel:

The actual hotel grounds appear to be big when you arrive. Maybe more so for my partner and I as we arrived late evening once it was already dark. But the following day, we discovered that it wasn’t as big as we initially thought. You have different coloured blocks of ground floor apartments separated on the grounds. There is a large outdoor pool but sadly enough, we did not even have a swim in here because it was always too crowded so we preferred to go to the beach. And the complex also includes a shop to purchase souvenirs and a Bureau de Change facility by the reception which is open at specified times so you will need to check the board. Looks nice from the outside, nothing too fancy nor did it look too budget!

Rooms:

We stayed in a room located close by to the reception. In the yellow block. We were told by the receptionist that this was a ‘good room’. Would like to have seen what they considered the ‘bad room’. Anyway it was a clean room, very basic. En suite toilet and shower. No TV unless you request at reception (at a charge of course, but very cheap). There is a space outside each room, like an extra mini terrace area if you want to call it that, where you can hang any wet clothes or even sit down and have a drink.
I regret to say that both mine and my partner’s towel were STOLEN from outside our room. Still can’t believe the cheek of it when I think about it now. I have travelled all over the world to poorer areas than Tunisia and have not had anything taken from me. Disgraceful. Went straight to the the reception to speak to the duty manager who expressed his apologies but just said ‘were they nice towels’? to which we replied 'yes' and he replies ‘well yes, then they were stolen’ as if it’s NORMAL for this to happen!?! Negative point: 2 twin beds rather than a double and easy access for THIEFS to grab your belongings. Having spoken to another 2 families who were staying there, they too had items stolen from outside their rooms so it appears to be a regular occurance at this hotel.

Food:

Well well well.. probably the worse aspect of this hotel. So okay, it’s a 3 star so expectations should not be the greatest, however, it was just shocking what they put on offer. From afar the food looks okay, then once you get up close and see it for what it really is, it’s not so attractive. Very plain, simple and not appealing food on offer. Drinks are watered down. Even getting a fresh fruit proved hard for this hotel. Dry dry dry. Worst breakfast i have been offered. Poor service. You are lucky if the ‘grill’ is on and you can choose various meats to be cooked fresh for you, although the system for this is poor as you have to queue up for literally 30mins or more to wait for your meat to be cooked. This should really be reviewed by management.

Entertainment:

Cheese, cheese, cheese. But isn’t that the deal when you come to these all inclusive hotels? Certainly was here. To be fair, everyone looked like they were having a great time, just not ourcup of tea at all. Catered mainly for the younger audience and when i say younger, i mean 10-15 years old.

Excursion:

So we did the camel ride excursion which was good. We booked with the guy at the hotel and of course we were lied to and told it was a big group we’d be going with, but in the end it turned out to be just one Dutch family of 3. Either way, we all had a good day. The beach ‘sofa’ water ride was fun as well.

Overall Conclusion:

Would definitely not return here any time soon.Tunisia as a country is lovely. The beach is clean and water gorgeous. The staff at this hotel tried their best to accommodate guests, however could still be improved. It has the potential to do well but they really need to take on board people's feedback and make the necessary improvements. The fact that items were stolen during our stay at Samira Club, was the cherry on the cake for us. Would return to Tunisia but NOT SAMIRA club.

Room Tip: Ask reception for a good room which i'm sure they consider ALL of their rooms to be good, so goo...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 September 2012

Arrived at this hotel 08/09. The reception area and bar are great. Very clean and plenty of seating. The public toilets are cleaned all the time, and the restaurant is clean.
After being taken to our rooms we were not as satisfied. All bungalow rooms on the ground floor and not private at all. We had booked a room with private balcony???? This was a small area looking directly into the room opposite and was at times intimidating when the people opposite sit and stare at you until you go back into your room. The rooms are very basic, but we did hire a fridge for 35 dinar for the week. If you shower after 6.30pm do not expect to have warm water!!!
The food was great at this hotel, lots of choice, salad bar was brilliant and everything clean. The drinks (when you get served) are ok. If you pay for you drinks you will be served quicker than waiting for your AI.
Never got to the pool as everyone is cramped round the small pool like sardines. The beach is still very busy but managed to get beds there everyday.
After staying in Tunisia for 10 times previous to this, I was shocked at the level of the animation team. They were not good at all. Can't even dance in time with each other at mini disco!! Hey do the same dance everyday for 6 months a year. How can they not know what they are doing??? The previous hotels I have stayed in have been far better with entertainment. The main show starts too late of an evening. No one is interested by the time it starts, and families are taking children to bed!! Bingo.... Every night in every language!!! OMG!!! Boring. Change this Samira pleeeaaassseee.
The real downfall is that they close the restaurant at 9pm. This is very early when on holiday and in the sun until 6. Having to shower etc 3 people and get down there is a rush. Then sitting around waiting for the show until after 10.30pm is a joke.
I personally would not return to this hotel. The food is great but everything else just let's the hotel down.

Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed 3 September 2012

This is a very good hotel, don't know why people are complaining about it, with a few tweaks it could become a 4 star. Our experience:

Food - Great variety, always available, can get a bit repetitive at times, but there always is something for everyone.

Staff - very helpful and polite

Rooms - Basic, but clean

Guests - Full of Germans and French, hardly any English people, but they are all very courteous and keep to themselves, a lot of local people do come to this hotel, but you soon get used to it.

Facilities - A good effort for a 3* no complaints except they only have one main pool which can get over crowded.

Overall this hotel is good value for money, we were very pleasantly surprised, and my whole family had a great time at Samira Club and would recommend it to anyone on a budget.

Room Tip: Family rooms are spacious, the green rooms block D are better as they are further away from the main...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank SalimDewji
Reviewed 17 July 2012

Okay first - I don't know if some people here paid 2000 euros for one week ('cause it really sounds like it, the way you complain!) But where I'm from - we paid much less. So the value for money is absolutely positive. We were so happy about this hotel. Mainly because it is so big, that if you want party and wild music you can go to the pool area and have a great time - so much life there at night. And if you want a silent night at your terrace, you can go there. Or at least we could, because we stayed further down the blocks. The food was really great thinking of the very resonable price you pay for all inclusive. Snack bars, lots of different to choose from in the buffét etc.
The staff was overall very nice and helpful - I guess there's always a weirdo no matter where you go. But we just tipped the nice one a little extra, and he was all ours the next 10 days :P I would so love to go back - but maybe not i june,july,august because of the heat. I thought it was a bit too much - especially if you have children with you (we didn't) that would be too hot. So I guess in may or something like that, it would be perfect! :D

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the pool. It's much better to go the extra distance to the pool, when y...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple