“Excellent hotel and location” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Laico Hammamet

Hotel Laico Hammamet
Ranked #24 of 123 Hotels in Hammamet
London, United Kingdom
“Excellent hotel and location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2013

I have just returned from a 2 week stay at Hotel Laico Hammamet and couldn’t be happier.

The staff were exceptional – friendly and helpful. The concierge and reception did an excellent job arranging excursions for my girlfriend and I, more difficult as it was fairly quiet. For a 2 day Sahara trip, they phoned 9 different tour companies until they found us a spot :) They also arranged for a private driver and guide for 2 different days to visit Tunis, Carthage and Dougga – all at a very reasonable rate.

The bar staff were first rate, very friendly, very attentive and always ready with a smile and a joke. Whilst not every drink is included in the all-inclusive, there is a good selection including wines by the bottle, 2 cocktails, soft drinks and beer (drink menu picture attached)

The pool bar was equally friendly and good – it served afternoon snacks between 4 and 5.

The pool is very nice too and there was always room for sun loungers where you wanted them – they have an indoor pool too if the water is a little too cold for you :)

The private beach was nice, but a little windy at the end of May, with cool water. A bit more hassle here as there are many vendors trying to sell sweets, drink, nic nacs and camel / horse rides – but a polite ‘non merci’ usually takes care of it.

Of course, there are many vendors in town too, with a favoured tactic telling you that they are the cook from your hotel and you said hello this morning – their brother / mother / pet has a new shop and it would be an honour if you came … LOL

The restaurant is buffet style but plenty of choice and always 3 or 4 fresh cooked dishes to choose from. The cakes were especially good.

The location is great too – very central, on the main esplanade with many bars and restaurants, and a lovely marina nearby. Also just a couple of minutes walk is the Medina (not many shops) but it also house a few small theme parks, such as Carthage land. A ticket for all the parks for the day is good value at 45 dinar, and of course less for fewer parks.

The excursion options are great and I recommend the Sahara trip, a lot of road time, but worth it. Tunis, Carthage and Dougga are very good too – as is the theme park with the laser show outside of town.

The in-house spa was reportedly very good (my girlfriend indulged, I sat at the bar! )

With reasonable prices – a ‘Cleopatra’ package of 3 treatments for around 2 hours was priced at 150 dinar, but these could be split into individual treatments. There is a hairdresser by appointment too and a full hair mask treatment was 45 dinar.

All in all, we both very much enjoyed the holiday and the hotel was a large part of that enjoyment.

Room Tip: The pool view is very nice, but WiFi is patchy or non-existent. If WiFi is important to you, get a r...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
9 Thank Paul H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2013

Stayed here in early Feb on business. Its out of season so the hotel was very quiet, and I had no pre-conceived ideas as to what to expect as it was booked by a colleague.

Staff were all friendly and helpful, and some spoke good English, and most spoke enough to be able to make most requests. French was widely spoken as you would expect in Tunisia.

The room I had was large for a double, and pretty clean (although not spotless) there was some fresh fruit left in the room and a mini bar which was very cheap.

Restaurant was OK on the one night I used it, but we ate at the nearby restaurants the rest of the time. Buffet style breakfast had most bases covered and was plentiful - the made to order crepes were really good.

The bar service was good and reasonable - around a couple of quid for a beer which always came withe some nibbles.

Cant really comment on the rest of the facilities as I didn't use them.

They call this a 5* hotel, but by European standards its a 3.5 - 4 in my opinion.

Cant really comment too much on the area as I was there on business and it was Feb, but most things were shut and it did look a tad run down. I suspect that the area may have been hit by political events over the last couple of years, but it may look very different in July.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the harbour
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Mikeyplus6
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2012

We did not have certain expectations apart from the photos we had seen before going there. the hotel turned out to be very nice, close to 5 stars (it is 5 stars but we had been warned that in the Arabic world stars standards are actually off a bit, meaning a 5 star hotel in Tunisia would correspond to a 4+ star hotel in Europe). The staff are helpful, not all know English though, everybody speaks French since it is the second language and most speak Russian. It has its own beach, great sand, but there were some black seaweed in the sea in the beginning of September, which was not very nice. The pool is fine. The rooms have a balcony. You can smoke practically everywhere.

Room Tip: Rooms with double beds are normally larger.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank kpopova
Grasse, France
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2012

Stayed in first week of March 2012. Had a nice break and enjoyed our stay. I will agree with many other contributors here that 5 star is fairly generous in the case of the Laico. First impressions are great and We had good service, an excellent room and view and were relaxed throughout our stay.
The negatives are the restaurant (Phenicien) is in no way a 5 star hotel restaurant. All the food is fine, but is very samey, overcooked and I was dissapointed there seemed little authentic Tunisien food (the kids enjoyed it though), I must say Shalam was a fantastic waiter, always smiling and very helpful.
I agree we went well out of season, but the facilities left something to be desired, although the indoor pool was good, warm and never crowded, there was little else to do, the kids club was good but my 5 year old got bored as she was the only one there.
The main thing to consider though is that it is 5 star at a very competitive price.

The main negative for me though and I am not sure whether to give it the benefit of the doubt or not is Yasmine Hammamet. Once again we were there well out of season and I agree it may be the reason and perhaps works are scheduled to update for the forthcoming summer season, but you just get the feeling the place was built fifteen years ago and has had no money spent since? As I said I am a little reluctant to be too hard as it was March but lots of things are shut, lots of empty shop and restaurant units, the pavements are starting to get really quite potholed and whilst I know it is the way in Northern Africa, the street vendors were really over the top, when you are walking with two young children and tell them you dont want cigarettes as you dont smoke, you dont expect to be followed for another 500 metres with them trying to persuade you to start smoking!!! Again this may all be to do with the fact it was very quiet.

In summary, I enjoyed my holiday and break and so did my family, but I dont think I would rush back.

Room Tip: The rooms overlooking the sea and marina were great and teh twin pation doors seemed to keep any tra...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank TimCBR
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2012

We went along in September '11,the weather was absolutely gorgeous...I didn't even need to use sun cream even if I have a very light skin.We have been greeted by the receptionist , the process was very quick but than I asked if he has a leaflet of the hotel facilities or maybe something to explain us what is actually included,he handed me an A4 printed paper but did not bother to explain anything.Probably he had difficulty speaking english,as afterwards he was more eager to explain everything in franch.
The Room
-was very nice, clean and had a nice view to the seaside/Marina. It had everything you expect to have in a 5*star,the only issue we had was with the sink that was blocked and we reported it numerously but nothing has been done about it,so we just didn't bother to keep insisting on it. On the other side Housekeeping was consistent daily ,the room was cleaned and when we returned once we had a heart made of towels and some nice flower petals around it, lovely gesture.
The Food
-we had an inclusive package,but the food was regretfully the same every day,it got very boring so we didn't even know what to eat the last few days.There was a nice selection of desserts, the fruits though were really old,horribly looking and not even a nice choice,just apples,grapes and pears.You would obviously expect much more from a 5*star hotel.Even if you had an inclusive package the only alcoholic drinks you could have were : beer,wine, martini and a gin cocktail , any other drink/cocktail you had to pay on top.And of course be careful , Minibar items not included,you have to pay everything you use. But if you want to have some water for the room don't waste your money in the shop,just ask at the bar and they will give you still/sparkling water to take it to the room.
The Beach
-when I go on holidays i really enjoy the sea water to the swimming pool,but there was something very wrong with the water on the hotel beach, it was full of some black stuff and you couldn't go into the water, only after the 2nd day the hotel management came to inspect the shore and it got cleaned,as someone complained badly about it.There was a bar by the beach that was closed, so you couldn't even have some water,when we asked the management they said that it's not the touristic season so there is no point to have it open.Hello!!! we are here, as there were many other people. You could have drinks by the swimming pool and they had some nice afternoon barbeque there,so you could choice what you would like to eat if you did not enjoy the lunch.
Gym/ fitness
-i can't even call it a gym it just has a few weights, a cross- trainer and a machine with weights for men.But is never in use,for the reasons mentioned so it's perfect if you want to have a quiet work out.And the female fitness instructor is lovely ,she always offered her help and explained everything.The hotel has a tennis court but you have to pay extra per hour and as well as for the tennis racket.If you want something for free they have a ping-pong table by the gym:)
Area
-the area is very nice for walks, and there were lots of shops around if you have the extra money,but make sure you bargain they will usually meet you half way or agree with your price so you can buy stuff much cheeper than the tag price. For the kids I would advise Aqua Land Carthage that is situated 10/15mins walk from the hotel,brilliant and entertaining,the tickets are very reasonable.
Staff
-I found the food&beverage staff very welcoming and polite,always eager to help but the reception staff are just a disaster, and a big minus to this hotel.

Room Tip: -Rooms on the seaside/Marina are very noise because of the music from the bars -Minibar items not i...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
london
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2011

We went along in early November...the weather was perfect..not too hot or cold...however the hotel rooms were still hot and you will be inclined to switch on the a.c...don't bother...it will work but there is no a.c cool air ...the noise and the machine motor will just make you hotter....I asked at reception and they said that they turn off all a.c from sept til march!!!!..

We have been used to all inclusive hotels where you just take what you want without any fear of unexpected bills...not here...first we got stung with a 14 d for just taking a couple of soft drinks from the mini bar...they said it wasn't included...also we were charged 24d for 2 cups of coffee ..considering you only get 2 dinars from £1 it wasn't funny..when I asked why they said I had a non inclusive person at our table..I told my husband to tell them to just charge for the extra person but they refused...I told them it was nonsense to charge us when we have already paid for an inclusive package...and they refunded our portion of the bill...not good...they shouldn't have refused...and ey shouldn't have charged in the first place...the problem is because the hotel is not exclusively all inclusive and have people just using the hotel as a cafe or board basis then you get stung if you step out of line beyond their strict itinerary ,,which they will give you in French ..insist on English if that's what you need. Don't be fooled by sea view rooms...go for the pool view as the sea view is just behind the pool...sea view only rooms are a looong walk from reception which means your wireless strength in the room is virtually non existent...the closer you are to reception the better the strength of signal...also look out for the routers in the hallway and try to get a room near one or you will have to sit with your laptop in reception to go online....we got our sea view room changed to a back view ..read no view..room as if had much better Internet signal...for the view we just wondered outside...there is a wonderful Marina just across the road.

The hotel is very well located...it used to be called karthago when it was owned by gadaffis son but now it's called laico. We wanted to visit the zoo wildlife park near enfidha airport. We asked at reception and they offered us a taxi there and back for 120 d £60... We declined...good job as the next day our rep came who arranged a taxi for 60d £30 ..and the cab driver wAits until you have finished and takes you back to the hotel....also the rep had some wonderful excursions ....we took the sound and light show...totally worth it...wonderful non stop entertainment ..wonderful people...great evening out...with horse show and meal included..the excursion to see Tunis etc wasn't all that good and the lunch was more than a joke...I don't know anyone who had more than a nibble of their whole meal.....I forgot to say the zoo was very nice...they had a free sea ion show and a very poor dolphin show for an extra fee...the entrance is cheap and the animals roam freely not in cages while we view from raised walkways.

Hotel
Try and get rooms closest to reception for better views and no more than the second floor for best Internet signal in your room ...you have a from entrance where the coaches come to pick you up for excursions...there is a back entrance from the pool area...there is a supermarket just next door and if you turn left there is a whole promenade of shops ...restaurants and Marina across the road and a kids play park...you must stroll down this Marina to appreciate the location of the hotel...it's wonderful...and you can see the pirate ships that do excursions without having to pay for the excursion...

The hotel is generally clean but for a five star the ladies shouldn't expect toiletries...take your own conditioner ladies as you only get shower gel and shampoo and bars of soap....you do get bathrobes..his and hers..but you have to ask for them as they forget to put them in all rooms...so ask.

The pools are nice and clean...the indoor pool is nice ..and mostly secluded for the time of year but it closes at 6 pm and the lockers in the changing areas don't have keys as the hotel lost them when it was changed from karthago to laico...not exactly 5 star attention...and the shower facilities are abysmal so take your robe and take the lift straight up to your room to shower and change.....don't worry...the pool is in the basement and you won't have to pass reception in your wet swimwear to go to your room
The restaurant was nice but the food was not great...the chef prepared the same chocolate sponge day after day and just coated with different flavoured creams...no variety...however on our last day there suddenly there was a big range of desserts ...when I asked why the change the waiter said they had new guests....charming...so having a crop of syrians come prompted 5 star standard but while us europeans were there we were fobbed off with basics...nice...the omelette chef...with a long face completely ignores you unless you insist on service...I gave up and avoided him most days....the waiters are nice..you can order drinks in your inclusive package so I would order 2 at once for myself to avoid having to wait for the waiter again...the glasses are small...so you will need to order more than one.

We booked transfers from hotels4u and it was very cheap...only £20 for a family of 3 return and the coach picks and drops from hotel...as were are in laico luckily you will be one of the first dropped off on arrival and last to be picked up for the journey back...so bonus.

Don't be afraid of using the yellow cabs anywhere as they are good standard and the prices are fixed and metered by law so no one will be ripped off....unless you go through the hotel reception...you pay an initial 0.45d tax and then it goes up in increments...the increments are more in the evening than the day so don't be surprised ..but you pay the same as the locals.

The outdoor pool was a little cold for the time of year...but we expected that...

Entertainment...in the hotel...very little...saxophonist..a belly dancer one night...karaoke one night mostly in Arabic songs as most guests were syrians or Arabs ....not much to do in the evenings

Have fun...but if you are all inclusive...don't touch the mini bar...buy same drinks outside for less than 25%......some great leather handbag shopping can be done and most guests left with additional leather trolleys and bags.,...but bargain by at least 50% to start off with.

Good luck.

Room Tip: Pool view near the reception for best Internet signal and view
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank ilm25
Krakow, Poland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2011

Very nice five star hotel, kind people, very good French like food. Only problem was the beach, where there was no beh at all. See pics. There was something black on the shore, you could not enter to water, management of hotel did not care. They said, PROBABLY it could be done in a few days. Well, if you stay for 12 days vacation, you want to enjoy beach, sea, sand, and not pool. Going to the beach you had to cross the street :(

Room Tip: You can go to neighbour hotel and stay on their beach for some bakshish :)
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family