“Wonderful, relaxing break...”

Alhambra Thalasso Hotel
Ranked #30 of 119 Hotels in Hammamet
Reviewed 9 August 2014

A friend and I booked a very last minute deal with Thomson to stay here in July and it was amazing! Upon arrival at the hotel, we were suitably impressed by the decor and cleanliness of the building (the ceiling in the seating area is amazing!) The room was lovely and clean, spacious and our balcony looked over the indoor pool so was very quiet (I wouldn't have fancied a balcony over the main pool) as others have said and after speaking to people in the hotel who had asked to move it would have been very loud.

Despite a slightly cold welcome to the hotel from reception staff, absolutely every other member of staff in the hotel were potentially the friendliest and most helpful people I have ever met. The waiters and waitresses couldn't do enough for you (Especially Memories) and the animation team didn't ever seem to stop! They were always up for a good laugh, trying to get you in on the activities they were running, getting something for you or ready to help out with any culture/location questions we had. I have to give special mention to Wassim (Aladdin!), Adnen, Siam, Karim and Bilel here - a really great group of guys who without a doubt made our holiday even more memorable (Cherouk and Jiji were also fab!) The entertainment each evening was good and suited this quiet natured hotel, it would maybe have been nice to have a little more variety though.

The spa facilities were great also (we received a free hammam on arrival which was lovely!) and the beach is gorgeous. The food was beautiful and seriously there is something for everyone - different every night and some traditional dishes to try also. There is a great little shop in the hotel also where you can pick up anything you might have forgotten - he is SUPER helpful!

The hotel is in a very quiet area with not much around it but for a very short taxi ride you can get straight into Yasmin Hammamet and explore the lovely Marina. If you do want things to do they are there (waterspouts. shopping, exploring) but just be prepared to get a taxi (these can be cheap if you are prepared to barter a little bit!) I also recommend the Nabeul Market which is a great experience (we took up the excursion with Thomson which we thought was a really great deal!)

I would certainly recommend this holiday to couples, friends, solo visitors - it is definitely NOT a huge resort with loads of stuff going on all of the time which was perfect for us as we just wanted a relaxing break away and that was exactly what it was. Would love to go again!

Room Tip: I wouldn't pick a room over looking the outdoor pool if you aren't prepared to stay up late!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Amy W

Reviewed 8 August 2014

'5 stars', which they invented themselves. Poorly maintained hotel, quality of cuisine is very disappointing. Live music at night is terrible noisy and of poor quality. Staff at the reception is uninterested and not customer friendly.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank CornelisJJ
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Just returned from a 7 nights stay in this hotel. We booked our holiday with Thomsons: transfer from airport to hotel was good only 40 mins, a fully air conditioned coach was used.
Hotel very nice especially in communal areas although it could be slightly cleaner. Room very large and we were provided a proper single bed for my adult daughter, however the mattress was terribly hard. I learnt on my leaving day from Nabil, the Front Desk Manager, that they do have some kind of mattress topper that could have been used (the first one provided was a sun lounger cushion which I quickly removed as it made the bed even more uncomfortable! After that I did not bother). The room was pool view and BE WARE... the music/noise goes on until midnight and you can hear it in the room with the balcony door closed. Food excellent for b/fast and dinner. However, I would not go ever again end of July and August as it was full of Tunisian and "locals" and the staff seemed to cater/care very much for their own! Despite all this, all staff was helpful and very nice. Nabil in particular was excellent! The pool and beach restaurant bar need to change their menus to accommodate better Europeans who may just wish to have a sandwich or panino basically something light instead of main courses! The hotel has an indoor pool which is fab and also an outside one which is also lovely. The beach is 5 min walk but there is also a free Tuk Tuk if you don't want to walk. the beach was also great and reasonably clean. We also had a lovely experience in the hotel Spa with massages and facial greatly enjoyed. I would suggest not to go on excursions as these are a waste of money! However I enjoyed the catamaran Sunset cruise. The Thomsons rep was excellent and even brought me sore throat lozanges to the hotel! Be careful when you change the money at the hotel some cashiers are excellent and count every dinar (and the other 1000th bits of a dinar!) whilst some other male cashier will give you a little less... All in all a great holiday and would recommend the hotel but I will not go again in Jul/Aug.

Room Tip: The main entertainement seems to happen around the pool area so DO NOT have a pool view room if you...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

If youre looking for a week of relaxation, swimming, sunbathing & spa treatments then Alhambra Thalasso is the place for you. It is a fabulous hotel, spotlessly clean with an air of opulence about it...if youre familiar with Carton house- thats what it reminded us of! Our room was upgraded to a suite which was like an apartment! The food was fresh& of excellent quality- the green macaroons were particularly delicious!
The entertainment team who provide aqua aerobic classes, music etc are such lovely warm, welcoming people- smiley Karim, the model Bilel, lovely jubley Adnen, kind Siam, quick-footed Joasim- great bunch of people& a fantastic asset to the hotel..as are the barmen!
We will highly recommend your hotel to all our family & friends.
Thanks for everything :)

Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 29 July 2014

We stayed in this hotel for five nights; so we only had four full days. This was perfect to quickly 'recharge our battery', as this hotel is great if you want to relax. However we regret we didn't book a couple of days more, as we really enjoyed our stay.
The hotel is elegantly designed; the rooms are nice and spacious, with some typical architectural elements that make it more than just your average fantasyless hotel room you find anywhere you go.
We really liked the meals, and especially the traditional Tunisian cuisine, but there is more than enough choice to please everyone's taste. (Eggplant was undercooked a couple of times though.)
The restaurant staff is very friendly and helpful. One waiter was so nice to us -sadly don't know his name-; when we mentioned it was our last evening there, our table promptly got sprinkled with bougainville flowers.
We stayed in the hotel after dinner, and the animation team usually made our evening. (It helps when you like dancing!) Animation team is very nice; the guys are great at sports and dancing, and the girls are very nice to talk to and make sure you feel welcome at a personal level. Chorouk is a very sweet and smart girl, but in general everyone is very charming.
What we could't really appreciate was the welcome by the reception staff; it was very unpersonal and they gave a somewhat annoyed, disinterested and even grumpy vibe. We thought maybe the Ramadan was the cause of this, but then again, working in the beautiful and cool lobby seems a lot less hard than doing physically demanding jobs outside all day. Surely the animation team, or the waiters and especially the lifeguard - who is an extraordinarily friendly man - were not grumpy. The front office is the business card of a hotel, especially for a five star hotel, so this is really something the management should spend some attention on in my opinion.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 July 2014

I only had one week here & wish I had more. The hotel is beautiful, traditional, clean, tidy and the food is delicious. Traditional cuisine every evening, and such a wide range of choice. The pool, beach and spa facilities were perfect with a free hammam on arrival (Turkish steam room), and the use of the jacuzzi spa. I have never known such lovely people and the staff so welcoming! I went by myself, my first holiday alone & made some beautiful friends with the animation team. They were all so warm & friendly & made everyday and evening fun & exciting. They also taught me a lot about nice places to visit & Tunisian culture. I particularly enjoyed the company of Memories the waitress, she was so lovely. Also Siam, Karim, Adnen, Jiji and not to forget the lovely Wassim & Bilel who really took care of me & made my holiday so special & unforgettable. I loved it so much that I am returning the end of Aug! Can't wait to go back & see the lovely people & enjoy the fantastic weather! :). Definitely recommend this a lovely place to visit. Tunisian people are beautiful! (Hannah King)

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

The after taste is very pleasant. Hotel itself is clean and both the interior and exterior are well-designed. The design really delights the eye and helps u feel the atmosphere of the charming Arabic Africa.
This place is very relaxing. But one can choose him/herself if a more active or a totally relaxing holiday is more preferable, or maybe both.
The service is excellent. Staff is most agreeable.
Food delicious and various.
Talking about spa can speak only for massage, which was pretty good.
About animation. The animation team in the hotel is great. Everyone in the team has special charm, but I would like to specially mention Chourouk (hope I am not mistaken in the spelling), Siam, Karim & Bilel. Chourouk is a very intelligent girl and a perfect conversation partner. Siam is the greatest dancer I have ever met. I think this guy can dance anything as well as do any sport. Karim and Bilel are very nice and funny guys who won't let you get bored. All the three are smart, polite and are quite gentlemen. But the most important is that all the members of the animation are nice people to whom I am thankful for making my holiday perfect.
Also I should say that the beach is also very good. And it is absoulutely comfortable to walk there no more than 5 minutes or take a tuk-tuk, which is for the laziest.
Never hesitate coming in Ramadan. It doesn't have any unpleasant influence on tourists.
Give this hotel a try it is worth of it!)

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family