“Good value for money and friendly staff”

Medina Belisaire & Thalasso
Ranked #15 of 118 Hotels in Hammamet
norwich
“Good value for money and friendly staff”
Reviewed 18 November 2013

I have just returned from a trip to Tunisia and stayed at this hotel. This was a last minute break for us, and the price was really reasonable. Our room was spacious, and although in need of a little updating It was kept spotlessly clean throughout our stay. Most of the staff were extremely friendly (apart from a couple of bar staff) they went out of their way to be helpful. I thought the food was really good, and exceptional value for money with a choice of both hot and cold options. The choice of breakfast included both hot and cold options with a pancake and omelette station manned by a very friendly chef. We went on a couple of tours during our stay. The hotel staff arranged a day trip to Tunis, Carthage and surrounding areas with a car and driver. It was excellent and very reasonably priced. I did not find that tipping staff was a real issue. We tipped our waiter and barman small amounts throughout the week, and left a tip for the room cleaner but I did not feel pressured to do so. They did a great job at providing a friendly and efficient service and made our holiday special.

2 Thank jfb494

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (273)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Sudbury, Suffolk
Reviewed 18 November 2013

This hotel has the atmosphere and entertainment that really exceeded our expectations, always something different happening, all the staff are very friendly and helpful, at meal times they like you to sit in the same place, so the waiters remember your drinks, every time they are empty, they would come and refill, the food was excellent, always something to eat, even for the fussy eaters, ice cream and pizza & chips was always going down well with other guests, the animation team work very hard to keep you entertained, with activities throughout the day, to the entertainment at night, I would recommend getting straight in with the activities, as these are always fun. Rou, Ricardo, Lala, Drogba and Jimmy do more then their weight in gold, and should really be recommended. We had some other guests that moved hotels to this one and said there is a real difference in this hotel. I met some brilliant people while I stayed here and wish I could of stayed longer. Everything about Tunisia was a joy, to haggling and bantering with the locals. In my view, you get a lot for your money at this hotel, we went out of season, so summertime, is probably a lot better, but I thoroughly enjoyed my stay, another shout out though to the entertainment team, Rou, Lala, Drogba, Ricardo and Jimmy, in my opinion they make this hotel a great place to stay, without them, the hotel wouldn't be what it is, you would just be eating, sleeping and sunbathing, you got to do something to burn off at least breakfast right??

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the children's pool are really quiet as most people tend to choose the other s...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Devizes, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 November 2013

We booked this holiday last minute.We decided to try an all inclusive break for a week, in a large hotel for a change and I have to say its not something we would do again.This is off no reflection to the hotel,just that we really missed exploring the local area and finding trad restaurants tucked away from the crowd!We arrived 30 minutes earlier than expected,and as soon as we arrived,the staff suggested we head straight to the dining room to enjoy lunch!We really liked the setting of the dining room.Looks like little shops inside a medina,which is a nice touch!
The food was actually quite nice,although the salads seemed quite repetitive,as did the desserts,but there was plenty of food on offer.The coffee machines are only operational during breakfast time,not sure why this is.You can of course get tea's and coffee's at the adjoining bar area at any time,and take them with you into the dining room.The staff in the dining room were really fabulous and the service was prompt and polite.
Our initial room was nice,tidy and clean.However......mid way during the week we were disturbed during the night by people in the next room.As the floors of each room are tiled,we were woken up a few times by a lady walking continously around her room wearing,what sounded like platform heels!Very annoying!And very loud!!!They also had a small child,who was cryng during the night.Not their fault of course but the walls are thin so for lighter sleepers,this could be an issue.Would not like to experience this high season,we had no one on the other side of us,and had we of?Think we would of been suffering severe sleep deprivation!
Unfortunately midway through the holiday I acquired a stomach "bug"!I'm unsure what caused this actually so I'm not going to blame the food on this.However atleast 5 people I spoke to also had the same bug,so it could of been Noro virus or something similar which is airborne.We had to get a taxi to a nearby pharmacy and spent 30 dinar+on the taxi and medicine.Due to lack of sleep and my illness,my husband spoke to the manager of the hotel,and the manager got us moved asap to a suite!!!!Really loved this room,its spacious,with a sofa bed,lounge type area,dining set,double balcony,two tv's(not that we watched much tv)and a nice bathroom.The night before we left,we were disturbed,yet again by fellow guests.We were woken up at 4am by a couple out on their balcony talking!My hsuband went outside and asked them to keep the noise down!!! We havent stayed in a large complex for years and this reminded us why we had'nt!Too much noise,inconsiderate guests who don't seem to consider some people don't go out all night boozing,and that actually some people go on holiday to relax and feel refreshed????We would never again stay in a large hotel due to this reason.
Whilst we were away,(2nd week of Nov 2013)at the start of the week the sun was shining and it felt quite warm.However the pools were freezing!I braved them but my husband did'nt swim at all this holiday!The indoor pool might of been a good option had the opening times been abit more flexible!Only open from 12pm-3pm,any time before or after this has to be paid for.Most people head for lunch at that time,and I don't think many guests would swim on full stomachs!
On the whole,for what we paid,it was what we expected!(except the noise levels during the night of course!)The beach is ok.If you head right its better!Head for the left,and you hit the hotels and the sand is'nt as good.Infact we were up to our knees in it walking along that stretch of beach which was abit worrying!Its a shame about the rubbish on both sides of the beach as I think if it were cleared up regularly,this beach could be very very nice!
As we went all inclusive,it did include alcoholic drinks.We're not big drinkers,but I do have an issue with two members of staff.One in the "quiet"bar and the other in the larger bar by the dining room.I would say these two people were unfriendly,arrogant and did not make us feel welcome!Remember guys,we pay your wages so a smile would'nt go amiss!
The old medina in old Hammamet was worth a visit.Not so much for the shopping (we got hassled relentlessly and the sooner these people realise,us brits like to shop in peace,the sooner their sales will go up!!!!)but just for the architecture itself.Some nice homes,and small cafes which are worth a visit.Caught the bus to the large market in Nubeil(Unsure of spelling)and was disappointed actually.Do tourists really want to buy live tortoises???Or hashish?lol Got hassled so much we only spent 30 minutes there and decided to head back to the hotel.We have travelled all over the world,and I'm afraid we don't find the hassling amusing or charming.Its just downright annoying!
The hotel was kept very clean and tidy.Staff on the whole are hardworking and very nice.

Room Tip: Take a travel kettle,mugs and all in one coffee sachets.There are no hot drink facilities in the roo...
1 Thank LasttimeinTunisia
liverpool, england
Reviewed 16 November 2013

Stayed at the Belisaire a few days after they changed to Medina hotels rather than Iberostar, and although we wouldnt know any differences, people who we met there said the new owners seemed to be doing 'odd jobs' to update the place since they had taken over.

We arrived in the middle of the night, flight time being changed a week before departure and then an hours delay meaning we arrived later than we had hoped when we booked. The special assistance took a little sorting as, along with myself there was a young lady with her family that was also a full transfer and 2 other ladies that needed airport wheelchairs, but they sorted us out as soon as all the other passengers had disembarked and their were airbridges which made it easy; we ended up, because they took us to the front of the queues for immigration, in the middle of the crowd for our luggage however as we had booked a private transfer were looking forward to a quick get away and arriving at the hotel before the coaches did. Wrong.

Firstly, no sign of transfer agent (Tunisian Car Rental via Click transfers) then when we did locate him, by telephoning the emergency number on the confirmation and then accosting a kind Thomas Cook rep on transfer duty to translate for us! Then, once he was located, we were told that because of the delay in our flight, we would have to go along with another transfer first to drop off in Port El Kantaoui before taking us to our hotel, which although disappointing as we had booked a private transfer so we wouldnt have to share, seemed fair seeing as we were delayed - until we found out from the other couple during the transfer, they had actually come in on our flight and had only booked their holiday the previous day along with a shuttle transfer! Therefore the delay had nothing to do with the shared transfer at all!

Anyway, back to the hotel... we now arrived an hour after the coach, and the night staff checked us in friendly and swiftly and gave us bottles of water and some filled rolls - which we tried to decline as we just wanted to go to bed not eat but they insisted we take them - and then helped to our room.

Our room was on the ground floor level which actually worked out to be on the 1st floor in terms of level, and was an adapted room with a balcony which was wide enough for my chair to get onto, and a view over the quiet pool. The bathroom had a basin at correct level, a loo which was raised height and ultra wide (almost fell down it, lol), correctly angled mirror, hairdryer, grab rails, and a roll in shower with drop down seat. The seat looked a little 'flimsy', so I got hubby (who weigh more than me) to sit and bounce on it first, but it was actually very good - and more comfortable than many I have used, and I didnt feel that I was in danger of sliding off it either.

The hotel has ramps to most places, and the staff are very helpful in showing the way to ramps etc., in the restaurant, I was seated in a position that was easy to get into and where I would not be bashed by other guests, so this too was appreciated. What you read is true, with just a little tip, you will find your table awaiting you, a pleasant greeting and your favourite drink awaiting you. In terms of food, there is always a freshly grilled meat each day - usually turkey or lamb - and a pasta bar where your choice of ingredients are cooked fresh to your liking, and enveloped in a tomato or pesto flavoured sauce. There is also a pizza 'window' where fresh pizzas are constantly baked and another window with veg, some sort of potato (sometimes chips, sometimes sauted potatoes, once even mash) and other foods. Always something to eat and a huge improvement on our last visit to Tunisia, very pleasantly surprised - and on one evening, when we had planned (but not booked) an evening out to eat we decided to stay in as we were happy there. There is the 'dine around' a la carte options, which we had planned to use to visit the Italian restaurant at one of the other hotels but it was the one night where the weather was really bad, so we asked at reception could we stay in, and they were happy for us to do that. We did also book the a la carte in the hotel, however on the evening of the booking, having not yet located the a'la carte restaurant found that it was above the main restaurant, but that it was not accessed by a lift. Never fear, first of all the wait staff offered to carry me, in my wheelchair, up the stairs; I did not feel safe/comfortable with this option, so they next offered to serve the a'la carte menu in the main restaurant to us, and then gave us the option of being served in our room - which we took, we felt that being served a different menu in the main restaurant may give the wait staff too many questions from other guests as to why we were getting something different; even though it wasnt accessible cant fault them for their efforts to assist us and ensure we were still able to have the food, above and beyond many a place.

The pools looked nice, didnt go in either, so cant comment, but there were several toddlers in the main pool, so assume access would be possible. The main pool had a 'pumping' but fun vibe to it; the quiet pool was more difficult to access, across the gardens - as we didnt find another way to it - maybe there is, just didnt see it. The security guard did offer to help hubby push me over, but we managed although he tipped me onto my back 2 wheels for comfort.

The beach was a 2 and a 1/2 minute push from the hotel gate, and the beach was visible from the gate - approx 300m easy walk. I love beaches (not the easiest place to access in a wheelchair), and yes, there was a bit of rubble at the start of the beach but it was quite nice. The sand is quite course but very soft (especially for my wheels which sunk instantly - I needed dragging backwards a few meters at a time) and there are plenty of shells in the sand, the sea rolls in/out quite swift and is quite forceful. I enjoyed watching it but you wouldnt leave little ones paddling in it.
You do get beach pedallers - selling jewellery, fruit, water and cigarettes amongst other things - but a polite 'No thank you' did the trick for us, and one of the rebuffed men stayed chatting with us for a while, and then offered to help hubby drag me back over the sand.

The hotel is at the Southern end of the resort, but there are frequent taxis cruising up and down that you can easily hail should you need, there is also a mini train that stops at the rear of the hotel costing 5 Dinars return to the marina or 10 Dinars return to the medina in Old Hamammet; We went on the mini train to Old Hamammet - was well worth the cost, and the man was happy to store my wheelchair in another compartment and help me into the train.
For getting around the rest of the resort hubby just pushed me - all (well most) the paths were wide and smooth, there were many lowered kerbs, and traffic was happy to slow up to allow you to cross; we often walked on the road at the roundabouts and traffic was very obliging - much more-so than here, but that said, there was much less traffic than at home.

All in all we had a great trip, the weather was great - approx 27c in November, and only 1 bad day - plentiful food and drink, and a good hotel with excellent helpful staff who make you feel nothing is too much trouble. Cant wait to go back!

Room Tip: Higher rooms keep the sun longer in winter
1 Thank juejosh
stoke-on-trent
Reviewed 16 November 2013

Hi there this review is a mixed one good and bad and is of no reflection on Iberostar hotels at all as from 01/11/2013 2days after we arrived it was SOLD to another Tunisian hotel group and was told by staff it was going to be called THE MEDINA from the end of this year.So lets start the hotel its self is quiet well looked after the rooms were cleaned every day to a good standard as was all of the hotel inside and out in general. The drinks were as you would expect and food choice maybe a little better than expected we found that it was cooked well but sometimes was only warm and not hot breakfast you do get bacon but for us wasnt cooked enough at lunch times you had a good selection plus pizzas and spag bol made freshly were a fav with most and i must agree they were very nice and i dont really like any of them but they were both lovely and very morish evening meals anyone who booked before the take over had a choice you could use 4 different themed restraunts one visit per week at each pre bookable 24hrs before at different hotels in the group the med is at this hotel we used it and must say was very nice but not as you would think med is normally fish its a mixture you do get fish and beef but believe me you will want to go back for more the normal restraunt again in the evening is much the same as lunch but with the choice of chips typical choices of meats at lunch and evening are fish,chicken,beef,lamb,pork,liver,steak and steak and kidney thats about it for the good points now for the not so good
1 Tips from the second you land to the second you leave you will be expected to tip the airport first toilets you tip as you come out as you walk into the arrivals area a porter will run up to you and grab your bags take you to your rep and then to your bus then put his hand out for a tip dont give them anymore than a pound coin if you use them if you dont want to just say no in a prompt manor and not as i did grab hold of the back of his shirt and nearly rip it off his back ???? didnt go down too well the bus driver again £1 the porter at your hotel again £1 waiters and bar staff by this time tou will have changed some money 1dinare every time they serve or get a drink for you keeps them happy meal times about 1to2dinare at breakfast lunch and evenings about 5/6dinare themed restraunts 10dinare sunbeds in the garden areas 1/2dinare the security guard puts them out wipes the table and winds the sun shade up for you nice man though cleaners 2/3dinare a day it could work out very expensive in tips £100 or so in 2weeks
2 Room safes these are not fixed to a solid point anyone could just slide out and walk off with it since getting back checked and your insurance is void if they find this fact out if you did have to claim
3 we were both ill infact i still am this is the reason that i think we were and a number of others were too some of the waiters after someone left and didnt use all of the eating utensils just replaced what was used some cups dishes and plates smelt of bleach and were either wet or stained as were some of the glasses and plastic tumblers in the bar areas ?????? be very careful what you use to eat off and drink out of take some basic medicines with you in case as they are hard to obtain over there
4 This in my opinion is the most inportant one at the moment whilst you are inside your hotel ground it is safe you have guards all over looking after you as well as army and police at times around the outside it is safe to go out in the day time but stay in the tourist areas and be sensible and stay alert at night time most people took taxis to were they wanted to go and back as this is when most of the protests took place ect ect i myself am ex military some people would say i am going a bit over the the top but no i am not i just want you to have a good holiday and stay safe and enjoy your visit it is a nice area of Tunisia to see and dont let it put you off common sence is all thats needed
5 There are trip sellers in the hotel we didnt go on any but talked to many people who did wish we went on a couple now as everbody gave good feedback for all but was told the quad bikes were the best thats about all i hope this is of some use to you as an over all opinion the good points out do the bad were are very happy we have been and seen for ourselves as you should

( please feel free to ask if i havent covered something)
many thanks Mal.

Room Tip: choose a pool view room high floor garden view rooms are nice though and save some money for the tip...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank madmal100
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 November 2013

My partner and I booked 2 weeks at the iberostar belisaire, and thought we had arrived at BUTLINS. Having told the travel agent we wanted a quiet hol with more of an adult theme we nearly died on arrival. It was a family hotel not what we asked for.
The quiet pool can be at times, until you are woken with someone shouting bowls and tickling your feet and waking you up, this went on all day. The beach is filthy and you are constantly harassed by people trying to sell you things, we didn't go back!
We paid extra for a pool view but got a road view until we changed rooms. The entertainment was terrible and just cringe ive never had so many early nights.
On our 6th day we watched the local stray cat, which is fair as you always get them, jump up on the outdoor bbq area, take a burger, the chef shouted at it, it dropped it then the chef picked it up and popped it back on the bbq. This finished our holiday and we went to see our rep and got moved to a beautiful hotel with friendly staff, beautiful food and lovely and clean and not a white plastic chair in sight!!!!
It will prob suit families but for couples be warned.

Room Tip: we had 2 rooms both small
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 November 2013

We have just returned from a holiday at this resort, our first time to Tunisia, it was a lovely holiday, the interconnecting rooms were great for us meaning our teenage daughters had a room to themselves. The food was good, the rooms clean, and the staff at the hotel were very helpful and nothing was too much trouble. The entertainment staff were excellent always cheerful and resourceful with the entertainment even when we had a thunderstorm bringing the entertainment inside for the afternoon. You will not be disappointed if you go to this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a pool view
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family