“Fun hotel, lots of laughs...you get what you pay for!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Menara

Hotel Menara
Ranked #45 of 118 Hotels in Hammamet
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Fun hotel, lots of laughs...you get what you pay for!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2013

Lots of people are moaning about this hotel but it's one of the cheapest on the Thomson website, if you want 5 star then you've got to pay for it. The hotel itself is fairly basic but it is clean and the maids do a great job. We had our towels made into swans and love hearts and flowers on the bed! The staff are friendly and honestly couldn't do enough for us, yes the choice of all inclusive drinks is limited but the beer and wine is OK and if you do pay for drinks they are pretty cheap anyway. Food wasn't amazing but it wasn't awful, it was a bit hit and miss but you won't starve. Eating out in Hammamet is cheap so you can always get a taxi for around £2-3 and go to a restaurant to break up the repetitive all-inclusive food. The pool and sun-lounger area is great and we never struggled to get a lounger (having said that we went in September so it's probably busier in peak season). Lastly, the animation team are amazing! Zizo, Mimo, Sousou and Biba made our holiday so much fun and they are always up for a laugh. Be willing to get involved and leave your inhibitions at home and you will have a great time! Equally, if you don't want to get involved in all the activities they won't force you.

Room Tip: The rooms on the first and second floors are the more modernised ones. Take insect repellent as late...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Arabic first
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2013 via mobile

This Hotel has changed it's name to Menara. Having read the previous reviews I can understand why. Don't be fooled, it has not improved much if at all. Loose live wires, no water for guests arriving late, noise pollution are some of the areas that need improving. Thompson sell this as all inclusive. Beer, wine, local spirits and soft drinks. You have to pay for all spirits. False advertising. You can't write a review on the Thompson website which it asks you to do as the Lilas or Menara are not listed but then all the reviews would be poor and they would not be able to sell this. I don't like this place and hate Thompson.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Baggiemc
Workington, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2013

We were transferred to Hotel Lilas by our rep after originally booking into Hammamet Garden Resort and Spa ( - which was DISGUSTING!!) but we found Hotel Lilas fantastic.

Staff were friendly and approachable - most spoke basic English; anything we requested was done for us. Cleaners were in the rooms every day with clean towels. Waiters were great - offered us a permanent table (we were all inclusive) and laying out clean napkins and flowers at each meal.

The food was well cooked and filling (if not always red hot) - always a choice of 7 main courses including fish and vegetarian options at lunch and dinner, a varied salad bar and desserts. My vegetarian step-daughter said the vegetarian food was wonderful and the chef was always happy to explain what the ingredients were.

Only downside - the range of drinks for all inclusive was limited - only one local spirit - but most guests are half board so they have a wider choice. Beer was served in pint glasses - which makes a pleasant change.

The entertainment staff (especially Mimo, Zizo and Olga) were great. Offering sporting activities during the day (archery, mini golf, petanque, water polo) and a different show each night - even if Tunisian humour revolves around hitting Mimo with various objects. They wandered around talking to the guests during the day but weren't pushy - if you said you didn't want to take part they were fine.

The air conditioning wasn't the best in the rooms but the rooms were quiet - all entertainment and noise finished by 23:30 so sleep wasn't a problem. The pool was cleaned and monitored every day. - We honestly found none of the problems other reviewers have complained of.

There were 2 local shops literally 5 minutes walk away so where a reviewer got 'a 2km taxi ride' from makes me think they never even stayed there!!!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Doc218
uk
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2013

1st day : air conditioning leaking and not cooling down
2nd day : toilet blocked for 2 days and the room was overflowed with feces lol
3rd : another room another nightmare , this room was full of ants and insects millions of them
hotter , an oven was cooler than the air conditioning in the whole hotel .
entertainment ? what entertainment ? a funeral was happier and more interesting than the day and night entertainment , the staff seems to have a mission to seduce all the women in the hotel and have all your belongings and money no matter what . the pizza waiter was rude since the 1st day imposing and forcing you to buy the most expensive wine in the menu , the fat boy from the bar was so ignorant and the only thing he was worried about , it was his glasses and he counted them cos he just had less than 10 to serve large beer pathetic !!!!! you couldn't take a drink from the bar to the restaurant cos the glasses were monitored by the fat man from the bar ,
breakfast : one day boiled egg and croissants and the next day omelet and croissants or 2 days on the road with boiled egg on salt full of flies , the fruit was not fresh and the bread dried so does the croissants ,
lunch : saggy chips and the fruit left overs from breakfast or the previous meals of the day before ,
if you don't speak French don't go !!!!!! all the people in general are lack of manners and most of them ( entertainment team ) are interested in sex and money .

never ever left anything in the pool area you wont see it again !!!!!
they man from the pizza place even asked me for the I pod (

they were asking for everything you can imagine like beggars on the street !

shopping ? I prefer to get mugged in the UK with knives instead of going shopping to all the cheap stores and places !!!!!

this hotel is just for mickey mouse so poor
my friend forgot his gold chain and he never saw it again and it was in the hotel safe ( they know the codes to open them )

from 1 to 10 I will give this a crap hotel a : - 5

3 stars ? where ? who gave them this rating ?

Carlos El patron

Room Tip: avoid this place at all cost
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank carlitosway69
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2013

I booked this holiday as my partner had been away with work for 4 and half months. After looking at the pictures at Thomson travel agents I was amazed by how lovely this hotel looked for the price (how wrong i was)! After arriving at 23:00, we drove upto the hotel and straight away felt disappointed. Upon check in it became apparent that the staff speak no English, we got handed our room key and entered the room to come across a dirty, holes in walls, plaster hanging off in bathroom & air conditioning not working. I rang Thomson to which they said they couldnt do anything as it was too late. Breakfast consisted of pastries & hard boiled eggs & fruit to which flies were constantly landing on. The waitering staff spoke no English either! We met our rep Lorraine at the evening to who we could not fault, she tried to get us in another hotel but all occupancy was full. We paid for All Inclusive yet the lunch time was a set menu, cucumber salad, followed by a local dish & a poor desert. Drinks were either sangria or local beer. The snacks were non existant & we had to pay for ice creams! The evening meal was again a poor selection buffet, luckily they had french stick otherwise I wouldnt have eaten for the whole week. The cleaning standards are poor, the cleaning staff clean the reception area by water from the fountain area & then by mopping it back into the fountain. The toilets smelt of sewage & had no soap & no toilet rolls. The pool area was again cleaned by the water in the pool. We left our towels on the sun beds to which were caught being taken by the maids to which a conversation with the hotel manager (who was extremely rude) denied everything although another English couple saw the maids take them!! The beach was atleast a 10 minute walk to get too then another 15 minute walk to get to the hotels area, which was covered in camel poo & dirty nappies! The entertainment was all in French & the animation team spoke in French too with no English translation. STAY AWAY!!!!

• Stayed July 2013
3 Thank Salty1989
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2013

Arrived at 3am via Thomson transfer, I was the only guest checking in at that time, rep hastily handed me over. The place was in total darkness, so was hard to judge the place immediately. Got my room key, and headed to my accommodation. The lift had a tatty bit of carpet off cut on the floor, dumped my bag and went back to reception to get some water. At reception I was told I should take a 2km taxi ride to the nearest shop!! The hotel was unable to provide me with any drink of any sort! Never mind Thomsons.
Nevertheless, next day I take a look round the 'complex' breakfast is basic and totally catering for the lower class French! Stale pastries, one type of on the turn fruit, and a silver platter of hard boiled eggs! Considering I bought what I thought was a 3*plus. The waiters didn't speak any English, only one did. I had to resort to ordering at reception.
Anyway turned out my room, although the sheets were clean was filthy, there was a used razor in my bathroom, the paper was peeling off the bathroom wall as was the paint on the door frame. There was a clump of hair behind my bathroom door and the floor was unwashed! I was unable to lock the balcony door and my main door jammed when I tried to lock it before bed!! The final straw for me was the first evening I spent there I was told by a member of the animation team that women can't go out at night alone, he wouldn't say why, just it was dangerous.
Hated it there, can't believe Thomson are sending British tourists there. The rooms are nothing like the pictures on Thomson website, they offer the facility to leave a review online but there is a drop down menu without the hotel menara on it so you are unable to leave a review, I suggest that is a purpose mistake!!

• Stayed July 2013