“Impressed!”

Ranked #12 of 117 Hotels in Hammamet
Fareham, United Kingdom
“Impressed!”
Reviewed 2 September 2012

We stayed here with two other families for 12 nights in August 2012 and travelled independently, flying Tunisair to Tunis and booking with Hotels.com. We've been to Hammamet many times, usually staying at the Phenicia, so this was our first visit to the Solaria. We were generally very impressed!

The rooms were lovely (we had sea view 3054) and they didn't feel cramped with 3 beds. The beds were firm but that suits me perfectly and we all slept very well. Our room was cleaned to a high standard every day.

The food in the restaurant was EXCELLENT, with lots of choice and the was service second to none. We were very well looked after by supervisor 'Mohammed Ali' and our waiter Mounir on a day to day basis and we appreciated nice touches like the table decorations (see photos) and a big fuss on our friend's birthday.

Service elsewhere, such as the lobby bar, pool bar, the snack bar and the themed restaurant was also very attentive and prompt. Moez, the Bellman at Reception was an absolute star, nothing was too much trouble. Although the hotel was full, there were no queues at the bar. The readymix cocktails are best avoided, but the beer is good, the spirits are local (strong!) brands. Coke and Fanta are much sweeter in Tunisia - it's not fake, that's just how it is there.

My kids (15 and 13) loved the pool, with its water slide, cave and bridges and also got involved in the daily water polo games. I enjoyed it for cooling off! I found the pool area a bit cramped and claustrophobic and I could have done without the loud music. Who actually wants it THAT loud when you're there to relax? As a natural early riser, I didn't have any problems getting sunbeds. I often saw the pool being cleaned and the water being tested. I didn't have too much to do with the Animation Team but they were friendly without being intrusive and they seemed to enjoy their jobs. Hamdi in particular was our family's favourite.

The hotel's private area of beach is across a road and has its own bar with good service. The beach itself was a disappointment. There was a lot of seaweed in the water and where it had washed up and been in the sun it didn't smell too good either. Not a pleasant experience. If you want a lovely beach with crystal clear water, then head to the Phenicia. We spend most of our time at the pool anyway so the Solaria's beach didn't spoil anything for us. We did enjoy jetskiing off the Solaria beach, and the provider seemed very safety conscious which is good.

Other guests were a good mix with no one nationality dominating as far as I could make out. We were excited to meet a Russian Weightlifting Olympic 2012 Silver Medalist. There were also plenty of Tunisian families and I've read other reviews for some hotels that have complained about their behaviour, but in our experience they were absolutely charming, friendly and polite.

Room safes are available. You pay a 20 Dinar returnable deposit and 3.5 Dinars per night. One dinar is approx 40p at the moment. They are secure - each has it's own security key - the electronic code is the same for everyone. You can also hire beach/pool towels with a 10 Dinar returnable deposit for each one. You can change them as often as you like, but they are small.

My major gripe about the Solaria is the wifi. It's not free (5 dinars per hour), which it should be in a high standard international hotel chain. You need to logout if you want the clock to stop ticking, but they don't tell you this (put 1.1.1.1 in your browser and wait for logout confirmation). Also the system sometimes randomly disconnects you which is very frustrating. Unfortunately some people (like me!) need to access work email even on holiday.

Overall we had a fantastic time. To recap; the food, the rooms, cleanliness, the service, the bars, the pool, the kids' experience - all the big things - were just as they should be. I've not given 5 stars because of the minor negatives, but we were very pleased with our choice of hotel and the other guests we spoke to thought the same. If there's something I've not covered, I'm happy to answer any questions about the hotel as honestly as I can.

1 Thank RebeccaUK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (236)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 31 August 2012

We stayed Me and my mother, at the Hotel Solaria in August 5, 2012 ,
The impression is very good. The food is excellent, many fruits, And Good Situation. Good Service, luxury architecture.
attentive staff, specially at reception, alot of information, but no welcome drink, (Rami) is very helpful, smiling and very nice.
the Cuisine is great, very rich buffet, the food is good, many fruits, Specially Tunisian Menu, and a lovely chef (Chef Anis).
Restaurant very smiling and very helpful.
in the Bar, i like all drinks specially "Martin Bianca" nice, the Barman at night is good, but no smile all times.
And about the rooms, equipped well, except the old TV, Minibar is Hot, But spacious room, and always clean, Big thanks for the housekeeping.
Proximity to the situation allows people to visit alot of places (marina, medina ...).
Beach dirty (water), but equiped with loungers and guardlifes.
Pool, extra ordinary, very amazing.
Animation not good, No programme for russian guests, but (hamdi) Politely and Good.
generally, with the lack of Russian language all the staff, except a little in the reception,
but I recommend all Russian customers to visit this hotel.
We had a beautiful room (2052) and a view of the sea, but in general a lot! Eight days to come here we do not have).
P.S: noisy shops, on the sea view.

I recommend it!

Room Tip: Sea View Noisy
2 Thank MariaSukhorukova
Worcestershire
Reviewed 25 August 2012

Firstly, I'd like to point out that this not a "sour grapes" review, it is an honest and accurate account of our "holiday" experience in Iberostar's Solaria hotel in Yasmine Hammamet.

I'll start with the one good point..
The Hotel Spa was impressive!
The spa staff were all superb and very professional, and you weren't hurried between the different treatments.
The treatment day finished with the most fantastic massage!
The masseuse was both shocked and very grateful for her well earned 10 Dinar tip..

Now for the bad points..

Upon arrival I was given a password and key for the room safe, to later find out that everyone was given the same password!

The Solaria is the only hotel in the whole Iberostar chain where you have to pay for wifi, most unusual for an "All Inclusive Five Star" hotel?

Arrogant reception staff..
Particularly Rami, who when I asked why should we pay for wifi (when we're all inclusive) told me with his smug grin.. "Because this is the finest hotel in all of Tunisia!"
I paid 5 dinar for one hour of wifi, of which I only used 10 mins of, but when we tried to log back in later in the day a message came up saying "credit used up!"
We complained to Rami on reception but he pretty much refused to assist and just did his standard smug grin!
You can use the hotel next door (the far superior) Vincci Lella Beya's free wifi, if you sit by the top part of the Solaria swimming pool..

I requested an iron for three days in a row before being given the hotels only iron, which had a flex which was less than a foot long!

Cocktails were from a dispenser and watered down.
You are given evil looks and muttered to in Arabic or French if you dare to order a drink anytime after 23:40!
The lights are turned out at midnight, regardless of the fact guests are still sat with their drinks!

The hotels "private beach" was littered in camel excrement, and you actually had to wade through black seaweed before you even made it into the sea..

There was pigeon excrement on our hotel room balcony on a daily basis..

Limited sunbeds by the poolside, which are mostly reserved for guests who choose to pay the pool staff around 10 dinar per week to also look after their hotel beach towel.
Kicking out time of the pool is at 18:30??
The jacuzzi sections of the 2 pools are only on from 10am till 12:30.
When we asked one of the pool attendants why were they only on for such a short time he shrugged his shoulders and said.. "Ask the boss!"

The "dine around" experience within the other hotels in the Tunisian Iberostar chain was equally unprofessional, it was difficult to book up as they only allowed 10 guests from each hotel per night, the closest you could only book up for was two or three nights time, totally pointless if you're only staying for a week.

The Solaria restaurant itself served a disappointing choice of repetitious dishes, a poor breakfast choice, (..why was bacon not available..?)
Some of the previous nights evening meal dishes were also being served for breakfast on a daily basis, it was also the same selection for both lunch and evening meals..

We were so disappointed and felt physically unwell with the whole experience that we decided to book the first flight back home just 6 days into a 14 night holiday.
When I asked the reception staff for the final phone bill (for arranging a return flight) they tried to bill me again for wifi that I had already paid for in advance!! They offered no apology, just a look on their faces that said "Woops! We've been caught out!"

Both myself and my girlfriend have each had upset stomachs since first arriving at the Solaria (and still have even now, despite being back at home for six days..)

To say we are disappointed is an understatement.

• Stayed August 2012
6 Thank RionaWorcestershire
IberostarHoteles, Online Reputation Manager at Medina Solaria & Thalasso, responded to this review, 5 September 2012
Dear Riona,

We would like to thank you for having so carefully explained your experience. Your opinion is highly valuable and helps us improve our services. It is always our goal to accomplish maximum customer satisfaction and the best way to achieve this is taking in consideration the opinion of our guests.

Regarding our service we would like to apologize for not having met your expectations. We passed your comments to the departments involved and we are revising the procedures to guarantee an excellent service from each and every staff member. We lay high value on our employees being guest orientated, as we understand that this is a prime factor to achieve maximum client satisfaction and therefore all staff members are chosen according to a specific profile and additionally they are given appropriate training. This is why we can confirm that they aim to provide the personalized and communicative service that Iberostar is famous for.

In additions we took good note of your remarks related to our culinary offer and we feel sad about your disappointed. The gastronomy is one of the pillars of our chain and we can assure you that it is essential for us that our customers enjoy our cuisine. For this reason, Iberostar is reinvented year after year, improving facilities and innovating our hotels with themed restaurants, special effects for the buffet, Show Cooking, etc. We have passed your constructive critics to the head of the department and we are checking the protocols in order to guarantee the compliance of our demanding quality standards. Even so, we would like to mention that currently we only work with professional chefs of great recognition that use only top quality products.

Further we would like to point out that we understand your incomprehension regarding the password used for the safe. It is correct that all guests are given the same code however each key fits only to one safe and is completely different from any other key. Therefore we can guarantee that nobody can open a safe with a non fitting key. Only the manager has a master key for emergencies. We find it very important that our clients can enjoy their holiday without any kind of worries and therefore we are happy to provide this safety measure that is completely reliable.

In relation to the cleanliness of the private beach that is one of our main attractions, we do a great effort to keep it as clean as it can possibly be. Therefore we use men and machines. Nevertheless and due to nature sometimes some sea weed arrives at different times throughout a few days and although we do our utmost on exceptional occasions it is impossible to keep it spotless.

Finally we hope that by now you are completely recovered and that you had a nice journey back home. We do appreciate your comments as they can help us to improve and we hope to see you again in the near future and to have the opportunity to offer you a very enjoyable experience leaving a good and lasting impression.

Yours sincerely,

Online Reputation Manager
Iberostar Hotels & Resorts
Oakham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 August 2012

A really nice hotel, rooms were large, modern and very clean. The pool was great, the daytime entertainers were hardworking and kept us all entertained, the drinks flowed all day with very courteous and caring satff and the food was plentiful and varied.

On the down side, they could vary the dining by having an outside barbeque or something like that just to break up the tedium of eating in the same restaurant every night. And the evening entertainment is a bit sparse to say the least, take a good book or pack of cards!

Overall though would definitely recommend it as a family holiday resort.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Martin B
Kiev, Ukraine
Reviewed 17 August 2012

Just came back from Tunisia where stayed with my parents in Iberostar Solaria.Nothing to say but AWESOME!!!All members of stuff are very friendly,polite and efficient.Always going an extra mile for any of your needs.
It's not the biggest hotel I've stayed in but very comfy and easy to get around.In the dining room there was always great choise of dishes,more than enough.Waiters at the restaurant and bars new our preferences so we had our drinks waiting for us before we sat down at the table.With this kind of service you want to tip people from your heart not because it has to be like that.Our maid was a sweatheart ,room was immaculate exactly what you expect staying in a 5 star hotel.
Everything was up to 5 *hotel service:dining room,pool service,bars.
We found very interesting a la carte restaurants because they are all located in different hotels of Iberostar chain so we could compare view of hotels and service ourselves.
One thing there is no night club in Solaria,bars are closing at midnight but Iberostar Saphir has night club where all the guest of Iberostar hotels are wellcome and drinks are half price
To cut the long story short just want to say that any great hotel is just a great hotel unless there is a good annimation stuff working in it!!!Deffinately any vac is about people you deal with.Haythem,Hamdy,Anwer,Amissa,Mohamed and Sofiene deserve all the 5 stars of this hotel!!!They are the one who made it pleasant ,active and fun.Doesn't matter which age you are or what language you speak.like my parents spoke only Russian and I was there for them to be as interpreter but these guys could make a short conversation even in this language to make my parents smile.And that made them feel really comfortable!!!Besides that most of them speak fluently Spanish,German,Italian..not to mention native languages.They were around everyone,chatting and mingling throughout the day.Seem they could feel everybody's moods and not to disturb you if you just want to rest.Lots of activities for any taste,great evening performances.
You can not be bored there unless you really work on it!!!:)
Thank you guys!!!That's all about YOU.
Thalasso-SPA is amazing!!!Thanks to Diana and Kristina for helping to choose program for me.Best massage I've ever had in my life!
We are looking forward of coming back there.
Yulia,Ukraine

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank Yulia T
Aberystwyth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 August 2012

Just spent a week at the Solaria this is our 6th visit to tunisia our 3rd to yasmin hammamat and it is the best hotel we have had so far.
On arrival there were huge queues for passport control but once cleared we arrived at the hotel at abot 12.30 pm easy check in and taken to our room 4065 overlooking the sea. A big ranging hotel with long corridors with a number of lifts not all serving all floors. Rooms were big with big bathrooms and tv with bbc world news and a small fridge. Really nice pool area 3 different pools and a slide we had no problem finding sun beds but as the week got busier it got harder to get sunbeds and there is not a large area for everyone to fit in. if you want pole position by the pool you need to be there by 0730-0800 to reserve. Nice pool bar plastic cups no snacks eaten by the pool which was good as no wasps or flies. Out of the 450 guests staying about 60 were british which was fine by us. animation team were always trying to get you to do archery etc. and they were great. bar men were good as well as the cleaners. Non british on the whole were fine allthough we did witness a sunbed rage from a pair of italians who had reserved beds early and who came back late afternoon to expect them still to be reserved got a bit heated for a while the vast majority of them were fine.We didnt do the entertainment bit if your big on shows and late night entertainment then this is not the place for you. the food was the best we have experienced in Tunisian hotels hot and varied but the breakfasts are something to be experienced rice pudding and peas and carrots for example but there are always fried egs and omlettes cooked to order pancakes and doughnuts. Waiters were great and if they are they deserve a tip. Thomas cook rep was nice and we didnt need his services at all. Plenty of sofas to sit on with a drink in the evening and wifi 5D per hour. We had an early flight 0655 pick up and we had early breakfast before going. we did venture out to the shops not hastled to much and stayed to the fixed price shops. if you are staying in sea view rooms be aware the resteraunts on the beach play very loud music until about midnight. Nice beach area allthough lot of seaweed but if you moved down the beach 100 m its fine but beware of the camels.
If you have never been to Tunisia before it is different to other countries everything is done in Tunisian time.
Would recommend this hotel to you if you
Dont mind sharing hotel with germans french italians and russians
Not going for the entertainment
dont want full english breakfast
Dont mind being hasstled by the locals outside the hotel
Evans family

Room Tip: room 4065 end of corridor facing sea no noise outside in corridor but some music noise from beach
1 Thank steve e
Nevele, Belgium
Reviewed 12 August 2012

Me, my partner and her daughter stayed at the Solaria all inclusive from 1th -10th August.
Our room was sea facing and was cleaned daily and always kept immaculate with fresh towels and linen. The room is airconditioning which was always very welcoming on our return from the pool.
Really good service. The service by the pool was also great. Nice staff. The animation team worked hard to make sure that everyone knew what was going on but didn't hassle you.
The food is high standard for Tunisia, plenty for everyone.Restaurant staff where excellent especially our waiter Heni Adel. He made the stay special, making animals out of napkins and decorating our table. He has always a nice table for us.
We would definately visit Solaria again in the future!

Stayed August 2012, travelled with family