“Miramar Second to None”
Review of Hotel Movie Gate

Hotel Movie Gate
Ranked #60 of 119 Hotels in Hammamet
Reviewed 5 April 2010

After reading other reveiws i was slightly sceptical about this hotel That soon changed when myself and my wife arrived at 1030 at night .When we reached reception the man there took our passports from us filled in all our details whilst we were showen to our room and then taken for dinner where a chef and waiter were waiting for us and we received a three course dinner.We could not change our money at that time.so any drinks we had we were told just to sign for them and pay at reception inthe morning.During our stay we found the food to be first class as iam achef itend to look at this.The rooms are very comfortable and clean,always pleanty to do if you want to or just relax its up to you.Some reveiws say the staff are ignorant,we we found the staff very helpful and courtious.Idid not find a diferance between the treatmentof all inclusive and half board.What i did find was the treatment of the staff from guests who thought them selfs better than the staff i.e. other parts of the european community.On a whole this was one of the best holiday ive been on based only on the MIRAMAR HOTEL [FANTASTIC] May i also add any one with children need not worry they are catered for by a superb animation team,that realy impresed me.
CAN WAIT TILL THE NEXT ONE.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,209)

Reviewed 2 April 2010

I visited this hotel in February. At first all staff seemed friendly and helpful. Alas, once we were settled into our room things quickly changed. The staff were very friendly towards me until they saw me with a Tunisian friend, then the attitude changed. I was scowled at and treated with disrespect, yet I was intergrating with their own people.
The security guard on the front door took a dislike to my friend-he thought she was Tunisian and treated her with utter contempt and disrespect. When we complained to the manager , he was apologetic and assured us the situation would be addressed. This never happened and the atmosphere went from bad to worse, so much so that my friend was insulted by the guard and had an argument which staff and visitors witnessed. The manager was more concerned with himself and preening himself to impress the younger women.
The food left much to be desired, as did the waiters. Any drinks ordered arrived when the meal was almost finished. The waiters were sexist and rude to females. The manager was an overseer in the restaurant and was also obnoxious and tried to belittle the female guests.
The reception staff were mostly pleasant, with the exception of two older men, who were very rude.
The 'ENTERTAINMENT' was practically non-existent. Apart from 'transvestite night', which was on at least twice during our stay. I believed this to be totally inappropriate in a muslim country. (I am not a muslim but I respect other cultures and religions)
I would not recommend to travel with Thomas Cook, as the rep was unhelpful and dis interested.
All in all it was a poor two weeks in a beautiful country, with many wonderful people-unfortunately none of whom worked in the miramar!!!!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 April 2010

I visited this hotel for a holiday in February....for somereason the man on the door thought I was tunisian...he gave me hell everytimeI went in or out of the hotel...I complained to the director who said he would do something...never did. The situation got worse till I was having verbal arguements with this man on a daily basis. I complained to the Thomascook rep who actually saw one incident and still nothing happened.

The lady who cleaned the room asked us for everything she saw...frommy phone ot my shoes telling us that she had five kids to feed...when i would not give her things she did not clean room properly and only swept floor once in two weeks...The staff on reception were nice buthe director preferred to swan round impressing young girls with his status.

The only entertainment was drag nights which wore thin veryquck as the staff from the entertainment team seemd too happy to walk around the hotel dressed in thier gear and eat in the dinning room...got to the point where itwas past entertainment more like thier preference..which is fine except that it is a muslim country...to top it all one rep was walking round slapping the backsides of male members of staff who could not complain about it. Not something I would wish to repeat, If you are muslim this hotel needs to be avoided. The male staff in resturant were very sexist and the wine always came after the food had been eaten.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 March 2010

My husband and I are just back from a week at this hotel. Like others before us we were worried after reading some of the reviews, so were very happy when we saw where we were staying.We arrived just before midnight and our evening meal was ready for us as soon as our cases were put in the huge room for us. The staff were very friendly though we did feel those on all inclusive were pampered more, we were half board. The cleaners were out every morning sweeping and washing all the outdoor areas. The food was very varied every day with plenty to choose from. We were given advice on the best way to go sight seeing and tips on haggling when buying goods. The only thing I would warn future visitors about is the men who are not employed by the Miramar but tout their tours inside the hotel. DON`T GO!!!! You will be ripped off big time!!!! I wish someone had warned us about them. We are going back later this year and hopefully the weather will be as good as it was last week, roasting.

1  Thank oscet10
Reviewed 26 March 2010

Earlier this month my partner and I spent a very enjoyable week-long break at the Miramar in Hammamet. Before we left we noticed some of the other reviews on Trip Advisor and did wonder what we might make of it, as not all of the reviews were that good, however, we really needn't have worried.
The Miramar is a slightly older premises (if you want brand new one book a hotel in Hammamet Yasmine) which is currently undergoing a bit of development, certainly in the grounds, which are quite extensive. The gardens are beautifully kept and there seem to be blocks of accommodation all over the place, mostly with verandas or balconies. There are three swimming pools on site. Two outside (one is, we understand, a deep sea water pool, but this was under-going cleaning whilst we were there) and an indoor heated hydrotherapy pool (great if it's cold and raining outside - which, sadly, it was, for the most part of our break!)
Our room was in the block where the hydrotherapy pool and spa facilities are located (very convenient), I was thrilled to find that our room looked exactly like the pictures on line (with the very ornate wrought-iron head-board). The beds were firm but very comfortable - we slept for nearly ten hours one night! The ensuite bathroom actually had a bath rather than just a shower, the shower itself was very copious and efficient -loads of really hot water - we had clean white towels left every day, and complimentary toiletries. there was also a decently powerful hairdryer also, I normally pack my own little turbo-charged dryer but really needn't have bothered. There is a TV in the room, but don't expect to keep-up with the action in Albert Square whist you are away as I'm afraid the only English speaking channel available was BBC World News. There were several German channels and I believe that the hotel is mostly geared-up for German guests who may come to spend long periods there during the winter to escape the Berlin snow!
We did expect to find a fridge in the room, but there wasn't, this wasn't a particular issue for us as it was cool outside, but it would be important in the summer.
We were able to spend a few hours here and there on the beach, accessed through a gate at the end of the garden, which was kept spotless by the attendants. The beach is patrolled regularly by the mounted police. There is a lovely high sun-trap terrace overlooking the beach which later in the season looks like it has a bar and cafe open.
We booked half-board for meals and were very pleased. Meals are served in a restaurant block and I think the catering team do an excellent job. Salad and vegetables are available at all meal times, including breakfast, which may not to be to many peoples' choice, but they are available. I must recommend the omelettes with onion, parsley and green pepper for breakfast, along with the fresh orange juice, which you do have to pay a bit extra for but so worth it.. in fact if local oranges are available at mealtimes do have them for dessert, they are lovely. All the usual things are available for breakfast, cereals, yoghourt, eggs, sausage (frankfurter type) cheese and cooked meats and loads of very nice rolls, bread and pastries. Dinner always offered soups and salads, various rice, cous-cous and pasta dishes, grilled or baked meats and fish. The vegetables deserve a mention all to themselves. I am not a vegetarian but am particular about veggies. There were cooked and presented beautifully, the hot 'sauerkraut' (not sharp at all) was delicious and the braised fennel and pumpkin to die for. Puddings were a bit hit and miss, but the best evening was the traditional Tunisian theme night (when all the staff had to - a little reuctantly perhaps - dress-up with little hats with tassels) when we were served little pastries and lemon and rose flavoured sorbet.
The spa was excellent. As it was quiet discount deals were done and I sampled being steamed and scrubbed and rubbed all over with menthol and seaweed in a hammam experience followed by a 50 minute massage. I just managed to crawl back to my room to instantly fall asleep for two hours!
The staff were all delightful and helpful, many were working their way through university and love to practise their languages.
Hammamet centre is easily reached by taxi (there is a taxi office opposite the Miramar) however you could also catch one of the little Noddy Trains with race along outside, one of these Noddy Trains also goes to Nabeul, if you want the Friday market, which may be cheaper than getting a taxi.
We were very pleased with our little break, we booked through a last-minute webite and paid just £250 each for the complete holiday. I would definitely recommend any holiday to the Miramar.

1  Thank BozzasBird
Reviewed 18 March 2010

We found the Miramar Hotel lovely and clean and the staff very friend, But somethime the food was only luke warm. Often the vegetables served at dinner were served again for breakfast.
On the last day there I started with the diarrhoea in the morning. We had a terrible flight home due to both of us feeling ill. We have spent the last 5 days in the house with the worse diarrhoea I have every known. We have never felt so ill, feeling very hot, cold, shivering, headaches.

We will be writing to Thomas Cook once I get my strength back. We found Tunisia outside the hotels very dirty. Special the beach. There are cats everywhere even in the resturants and hotel dinning rooms. We would never go again.

Reviewed 17 March 2010

we stayed for 2 weeks , had a great time staff were brilliant ,room cleaned every day ,animation team even teach you basic phrases . we will be going back late summer.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple