“Avoid this hotel”

Ranked #100 of 118 Hotels in Hammamet
Calgary
“Avoid this hotel”
Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

This hotel is definitely the worst I visited over the last few years. Booked a suite and got a quadruple room with not even a desk and a chair. Staff too rude especially the front desk. Bad service. Food below average some lunch items were served at dinner and then next morning for the breakfast. Seems hotel was never maintained since it was built. Stains on carpets, dirty mattresses and pillows. We regularly visit hotels on all continents. This was a horrible experience. Might be rated as a 4stars but it is just a creepy 3 stars. Ruined our family time ! Avoid being disappointed !

Stayed August 2014
5 Thank YYC_DPD

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Huntingdon, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2014

After a disastrous start to our holiday, we were transferred to Marina Palace, what a difference. The staff were exceptional, especially Sabri (barman) and Hedi the pool boy, am only not mentioning the others as dont know there names. We were treated very well, we were only english there, but made friends with Polish, Spanish and a group of fun loving Russian girls.
The food was fantastic, the rooms were spotless. The reception staff were very helpfull. Only one complaint, the fact it was Ramadan so only couple nights entertainment, also the whole area of Hammamet was very quiet, but in some ways that was a plus. The staff deserve a very hard pat on the back for the way they have to put up with very rude guests. All in all I give this hotel 10/10.

Room Tip: Not a good idea to choose pool facing if you go to bed early as the entertainment is held there, alt...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Karen B
Malta
Reviewed 18 June 2014

It is claimed to be a four star lodging but three would already be a heavy overstatement. Some of the reception staff was rather crude and only spoke Arabic, French and some words in Italian - luckily we managed. Having said this the lady at the reception desk, as well as most staff at the bar were very nice, friendly and helpful.

Rooms are in dire need to renovate; carpets are filthy, bathroom floor gummed with stale urine around the toilet bowl, paintwork on ceiling falling off, faucets in bathroom broken, towels and bed linen stained and worn, furniture dated, empty mini-bar, old television CRT set with very few international channels and a/c non functional (blows out warm air only). Due to the latter I had to sleep with open windows only to end up attacked by mosquitoes (unless they weren't bed bugs!!).

Breakfast was awful, with a limited choice of unidentified soggy propositions, leftovers from previous dinner, bread rolls cheese and meats and powdered drinks. Dinner was slightly better, albeit always the same but still light years behind of the decent basics one would expect from a 4 star hotel. Drinks are expensive compared to what you generally pay in Tunisia, and the hotel won’t let you introduce anything bought from outside the hotel. Service at the restaurant is rough and not particularly friendly.

The lobby bar and outdoor pool seem to be the only factors that pass the test here, with the latter having actually a beautiful setting.

Tunisia needs to work very hard for it to maintain a steady inflow of western tourists coming, which makes up a big chunk of their economy. Infrastructural maintenance and the progressive upkeep of hospitality structures need serious consideration. I have recently stayed in other hotels in Tunisia, which were new and perfectly fine. Perhaps this is what the Marina Palace was some 15-20 years ago – but today is almost in shambles.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank GOH77

Travellers are raving about these Hammamet hotels

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 March 2014

i love this hotel, i stayed with my wife, the weather was very nice in october, the hotel is nice and clean, friendly staff. i would like to give a special thank you to the barman "SABRI" who was very friendly and very helpful.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mansoor b
Neath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 January 2014

it does still have a few people local trying to sell roses or dates for a few penny s ,,some people seemed to get annoyed at this , but remember u only have 2 walk down any high street in uk and dates become big issue and roses become someone playing a musical instrument for a few penny's ... just take a chill pill and enjoy X
i recommend it ...........

Room Tip: if it not already alargated , a south facing room to get the morning sun is fab
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank 271martin1908
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 October 2013

This hotel was one of the worst I've stayed in (and I've been backpacking in some very remote places). When I arrived I was told my room could only be used for one night and I would have to change on the second day. They told me I would be upgraded as a result of the inconvience. When I got to the room however there was a large mold patch, blood on the walls, and a hole in the wall. I was unable to move rooms that night as the hotel was 'busy'. The next day I was able to move rooms but my patio door did not lock, the bathroom light did not work, and the worst, sewage was coming up my loo. I went back to complain at reception and they came and repaired the light but not the loo. I complained again and this must have upset someone as when I went back to my room the 'do not disturb sign' had been placed on the door and the room not cleaned. I complained again and was told someone would come and clean it. They never did. Two days in, for no explicable reason, they told me I should be leaving the room as I was staying for two nights (the booking was for four nights) after a lot of receipt waiving, I was allowed to stay the remaining nights and they stoped trying to charge me extra (I had already paid for four nights). I also faced a lot of problems from the hotel security, they were not keen on my eating out and would challenge me upon my return, preventing me access to the hotel on at least two occassions. Luckily I can speak a bit of French so I was allowed back in. At one point I was told I should be 'eating at the hotel'. I know Tunisia has fallen on hard times, but this place was little better than a prison. Don't put yourself through it......

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank 1cosmo
uk
Reviewed 4 May 2013

This hotel is well situated in Hammamet jasmine Staff very pleasant.Rooms a bit dated and could do with an upgrade but they were adequate and comfortable.Meals were more geared to Tunisian than european but there was a reasonable choice of food so no problems.
The Hotel was two minutes walk from the marina and all the cafes and shops.

Room Tip: Ask for pool facing.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank parker_rg
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hammamet
Houda Yasmine Hammamet
#49 of 118 in Hammamet
Hotel Emira
Hotel Emira
#102 of 118 in Hammamet

Been to Marina Palace? Share your experiences!