“Quite big”

Ranked #7 of 117 Hotels in Hammamet
UK
“Quite big”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

One thing that sets this hotel apart is the abundance of space and how well it's filled. There is no centre were everyone congregates in the evening, there are 10-odd places - all of which had enough people to be interesting without being crowded or bar queues. The same during the day - you could spend the whole morning at the pool with slides, or the beach, or the main pool and feel at a completely different place. And that's ignoring the multitude of non-pool places you can go.
Kids club is good - our 6yo will remember the banana boat and treasure hunt but missed the archery. The main disappointment for him was the lack of English children but that was because it was a German holiday week rather than a UK one.
Food was as good as you can get on a buffet... put it this way, we never bothered with the other restaurants - the buffet just seemed to have too many good things. I particularly looked forward to their seared fish but always tried as much as I could. Even the lunch buffet kept on surprising. The 'Welcome Night' (sunday?) is definitely the one to miss though - try another place on that night.
The entertainment staff were top-notch without being pushy. My favourite part was the mountain biking - I've never seen that on holiday before and I ended up doing it 3 times.
The cleaner we had always smiled and we returned to our room with "sheet origami" decorated with flowers everyday.
Excellent wifi in the room - important as I thought I needed it to watch England Rugby but Sky was on the room telly.
In all - large grounds full of stuff to do, excellent food... I'm really struggling to find a bad point. Ah, I remember - after breakfast and before lunch we were literally without food for half an hour, I'm not sure how we struggled through that bleak period everyday. Top Tip - take a watch.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank Intruder2009

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Northumberland National Park, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Returned a week ago. Stayed for one week 22nd - 29th June with my husband and two teenage boys (16 and 19). An excellent all inclusive hotel, in my opinion, and exactly as it appears on the website. The staff in the hotel are polite and very helpful, the maid who cleaned our rooms every day was excellent and believe me she will have had her work cut out in the boys room! The food was very good lots of choice. This hotel has something for everyone, so much to do, but if you don't want to do very much you can just relax. The entertainment staff are brilliant but not at all pushy or in your face, they all work extremely hard from early morning till late at night with a day off on a Tuesday, a special mention for Lucy, the only Brit on the team, a lovely young lady who is very mature and extremely professional. I would definitely return to this hotel and we never go back to the same place twice! Very good value for money, a week wasn't long enough, none of us wanted to leave we were having such a good time.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank Mitchelson
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 July 2014

This is such a good resort!
Stayed with my family of 4 and loved every minute, all inclusive enabled us to relax and enjoy our holiday to the full.

Helpful, friendly staff throughout.

So many pools and choices!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank jojoneses
Reviewed 2 July 2014

My boyfriend and I travelled to Tunisia first time this summer. We stayed at the club magic life Africana imperial 19-25th June. Before we went we heard loads of different opinions about Tunisia, so we didn't really know what to expect so we went with an open mind.
We arrived late night(23:00). We were greeted with cocktails, music and smile. First impression great. Check in was quick and easy. We were in our room in the next 10 minutes.

Our room was always nice and clean minibar restocked when needed.
Service is the best I have ever received. I really don't understand what people are complaining about this place. The staff just can't do enough for you!!!!! Managers, bar staff, waiters, cleaners, anyone you bump into on your way would help you if you needed any help and always say hello or good morning, afternoon. On your welcome meeting you have one manager of the hotel, the head chef and your rep(ours was Claire), they are there to ensure you if you need any help or you have any problem talk to them so they can help you!! So in my opinion if you complaining when you got back from holiday that's your own fault, because they would of helped you.
All the waiters are really helpful and keen to give you the best service.if you try to sit at the same place by the second time they will know your drinks... The guys at the bar are great as well.

Food is the best I have ever had on all inclusive. Different theme every nights in the restaurant. Head chef is really taking pride in his job! Again if you have any issues, talk to him!!!! He is very friendly and approachable.

Omg the entertainment team is amazing!!!!!!! Thanks for the great shows and all the great stuff you were doing during the day!!!!! Archery, the pool game, all the Zumba classes, shuffleboard, darts etc.
Kids club is great apparently, I spoke to people from the hotel who we're staying with kids.
I read reviews that English kids didn't like the kids club because it was in German. I hard to believe this as most of entertainment staff was speaking at least 2-3 languages and everything was said in 3 languages at all times. ( English,German, French mainly)
On the top of all this free waterspouts on the beach, gym and slides.

We had a great time and we would definitely go back!!!!

I would really recommend this hotel to anyone. All ages can enjoy them self.thanks for the great holiday for all the people at club magic life Africana imperial!!!!

Before you go familiarise yourself with Tunisia, how much people get paid and their culture.

6 Thank Missferrari666
Warrington
Reviewed 1 July 2014

This hotel was honestly amazing!
Arrived late on the Sunday night to a welcoming party and cocktails in the reception area.
Service:
The service was outstanding - the staff at the Africana couldn't do enough to help! Drinks were never empty, rooms were never a mess and nobody was ever unhappy!
Pools:
All four pools at this hotel were great for all ages - the activity pool was great for those who like a large pool and a lot of fun and games, the relax pool was fab for those who just wanted to laze around and sunbathe, the newly built children's pool looked like good fun! There weren't many children there when we stayed so all the adults had a go on the water slides and the indoor pool was nice for those (rare) days when it rained
Food:
The food here was good, mainly aimed at Europeans, my partner was very disappointed there were no english choices for breakfast other than cereal and toast! Lunch was a bit better, with a wider choice available and dinner was incredible! There was a different theme every night and the staff really went all out with the food and decorations.
A la Cartes:
Personally, unlike many others, our favourite a la carte was the tunisian, the food was outstanding (and portions were huge!) and the service was incredible. We tried the Thai restaurant after this and I was impressed with the food but the deserts came to us still frozen! Very disappointing! Last we tried the Italian restaurant which held up expectations. You could tell that the majority of guests who went to a la cartes ate at the italian/thai (they were connected) as the waiters expected a lot of praise and tips as apposed to the tunisian restaurant where they were just happy for you to be there! The best part of the thai/italian was the pianist!
Excursions:
We only went on one excursion, which was the half-day trip to Friguia park - this was incredibly good value for money and one of the most amazing experiences of my life!
Hammemet:
The town itself isn't very old, (less than 20 years) and the locals are lovely! Joys is good for hassle-free shopping apparently, but when we went, the lady at the till gave our change in notes that were no longer in circulation, so every time we went shopping from then on, we stayed away from Joys! The beach is good, and there are two english bars on the promenade. Slight warning - the town does have a smell of sewage once you leave the resorts. If you're going to pay for transport in the town - don't go for anything but the Disco Tuk-Tuk! Cheap and fun way to travel.
All in all, amazing stay at the Africana and I wish I could go back!

Room Tip: Room 158 - smoke alarm running out of battery (June/July 2014) - if any other rooms are like this...
3 Thank Cjg1701
Oxford
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I stayed here the second week of June with my husband. What we wanted was a cheap week away in the sun and on that basis, it was a perfect fit. The weather was good (only really had one afternoon of rain) and there is a lot of choice in the restaurant at lunch and in the evening. We found breakfast a bit of a disappointment because the food was generally cold by the time we got there at 9am and the guy doing the omlettes looked like he had lost the will to live. The beer was good and so were some of the spirits. We asked the cocktails that weren't on the list and the guys behind the bar made them for us. I don't understand the people complaining about the spirits being 'watered down'. a) we never had any experience of this, our drinks were always quite strong and b) THEY'RE FREE!!! just go and get another one!

The beach is nice and they have guards stopping the local sales guys from harassing you, which is much better than what we have experienced in similar hotels.

The rooms really need updating. The bathrooms are very tired and we had an issue with the air conditioning not working and our terrace door did not lock. We reported to reception and they sent someone to fix the air conditioning (it still wasn't great) but they did not fix the door. It's a good job the room had a safe to put our belongings in.

I would ideally like to give the hotel 3.5 (this should be an option trip advisor) because we found the service behind reception terrible, with most of the staff being quite rude (we had problems with sorting out a late checkout) and the rooms are dated, however, as 3.5 isn't an option, I feel the hotel is closer to 4 than 3.

If you want a cheap week away with no hassle, then this is the hotel for you.

1 Thank RachelM087
Surrey, Canada
Reviewed 28 June 2014

After contacting the hotel 18 days prior to our arrival with an issue, Naoufel Essafi front officer manager very approachable and helpful to our needs. looking forward to a well earnt break. have a very positive feeling that our holiday will be great. please note had to fill in travel date but it does not allow you the option not travelled yet.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends