See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 6 July 2013 via mobile

Stayed for 10 days and booked the hotel via a online company ... Then I read the reviews so for about 2 months prior to arriving I kept looking for something a bit positive. However when we arrived I was plesantly suprised checkin was very smooth and reception decor was lovely African paintings and wicker furniture I was shown to the room which was on the 5 th floor but got a lovely sea view and pool view as I'd only booked bed and breakfast drinks were reasonably priced and there was a lunch menu you could purchase and if u wanted an evening meal there to you could pay to use the dining buffet we did order a few lunches and was suprised how nice they were as one of the things I read was the food all inclusive wasn't good. Rooms was cleaned daily with fresh towels everyday my only niggle with the cleanliness was the pool kids pool wasn't very clean always bits floating in it but the main pool was clean. Staff were helpful and friendly waiters by the pool if u needed something and animation team were good kept kids entertained with activities kids club or even just talking to them in all a nice relaxing holiday and I would visit this hotel again

• Stayed: June 2013
10  Thank beckoues
Reviewed 9 September 2012

What can i say terrible is not enough . Has been very hard . The list of the bad things is very long . aircondting not working . towels not been changed . food very poor service. staff inhelpfull ......

• Stayed: September 2012
9  Thank ChouchaneTN
Reviewed 28 August 2012

First of all, those who say they liked this hotel well they should stop lying about it. Maybe those people who are saying they enjoyed the holtel they are paid to say things like that.
You should make a difference between a good holiday and a good hotel. Your holiday could be still be fantastic even if your hotel is a mess.
I stayed in African Queen for a week and it wasn`t that nice. Just to mention some details when we didn`t give money to the cleaning ladies they stopped to clean our room !!! We didn`t have toilett paper or clean towels and the floor was dirty. Next, we wanted to BUY a bottle of water but we were sent away as we weren`t exclusive clients so we had no right to buy a single bottle of water !!! Nice.
The music was terribly loud, impossible to relax next to the pool. The food was just ok nothing special as I didn`t dare to eat I have no idea how was it. All day long there was a strange smell in the air, not nice.
This is definitly not a 4 stars hotel !!
Thanks God we went away for two days for a road trip and there I had the chance to see a real 4 stars hotel . It was amazing ! Clean, nice, pretty, very nice people and everything smelled jasmin. :) That was a ray of hope during my holiday.
So it is such a shame for everyone who sells this hotel or organizes trips to this hotel. Do not go there!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank rekettyee
Reviewed 22 July 2012

We have just returned home from Tunesia where we spend 14 days at Hotel African Queen
and we can recomend this hotel.
We had two big 3 beds rooms with seewiev. The food was local, variated and healthy. Fresh fish every day.
The service is good but we recomand that you inform the waiter - your requirements and wishes - be specific crisp and clear. We suggest that tip your waiter - it helps a lot on the service. If you are unhappy with something then say so and if it does not help, please contact the hotel manager.
The beach was fantastic with plenty of sun chairs and shadow "spots" for free.
The only bad thing is that - we - event though had bought all inclusive we still had to fight to get could water in big botteles instead of the small plastic cops they normal serve it in. It seems as if they were afraid of that we would steal their water or drink to much of it.!!
But all in all very good value for money.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank Bjarne W
Reviewed 3 July 2012

We have stayed at the African Queen a number of times and keep going back. I am not sure what people want for their money. Unfortunately some people go on holiday and expect it to be like England in the sun. A few years ago there was a bit of a language barrier but now I do not have a problem being understood. The rooms are spacious and cleaned every day. We had a lovely seaview. We found the beds very comfortable although as someone suggested, the pillows are lumpy. There is only one English speaking channel in the room so what we do is bring a DVD player with us, they are so small and slim nowadays so easy to put in your suitcase and a spool of DVDs (not that you are on holiday to watch DVDs but its nice to have a few home comforts). Don't forget to bring the connector cables, in my experience they tend to be the coloured cables and not a scart lead although I always pack both. I saw someone mention the owner of the hotel walking around with his cigar and making them feel uncomfortable. Mustapha is the owner of the hotel and yes he does walk around with his cigar. He is always very pleasant to us and speaks perfect English. Don't be put off by him, go and have a chat. We had no problems with changing money in the hotel. Breakfast consists of cereal, yoghurt, eggs, cheese, bread, crepes, rice pudding, tea, coffee, hot chocolate etc - something for everyone. There was a variety at dinner time. I think someone described it as "slops". This has never been the case in my experience. There is free WiFi in reception and the keycode is queen. The beach is a few minutes walk away and there are staff onhand to help you move the loungers etc. There is also a beach bar there. If you want to venture out in the evening for dinner, there is a restaurant called La Bella Marina which is a short taxi ride away. There is a variety of soft drinks at the hotel but remember this is a Muslim country and not Europe and you are not going to get a massive varitey of alcohol. Having said that, the local beer (Celtia) and wine is good. If you are looking for branded spirits, bring your own or expect to pay a lot of money for it. The taxis are very cheap, in fact much cheaper than last year. Nabeul is worth a visit (Friday is market day) as is Yasmine and Hammamet Centre. If you are looking for supermarkets, there is the Magasin General in Hammamet Centre and a Carrefour in Nabeul. There is a supermarket in Yasmine but it is not as good. Take a walk around the Marina in Yasmine and stop at one of the many restaurants and watch the world go by.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the pool and with sea views are the noisiest but the view is fantastic.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple