“Travel with confidence, this is a good hotel.”
Review of Eden Star Zarzis

Eden Star Zarzis
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Zarzis
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Travel with confidence, this is a good hotel.”
Reviewed 19 October 2013

I have re-read some of the very negative reviews on this hotel and I am beginning to wonder what some people want out of a holiday. I don't have an axe to grind nor do I have a vested interest in giving this hotel a good review and I will be absolutely honest. I believe it is the end of the season for British travellers but if you are thinking of booking for next year do so with confidence. If you go with the right attitude you will have an excellent holiday. As did we. We arrived with some trepidation in view of the less than flattering reviews we had read pre departure. Reception were helpful and friendly at all times. 0ur room was absolutely fine, it was a fair size with a double bed, flat screen TV it had had a recent coat of paint and we had a new bathroom. The hairdryer was efficient, the towels changed every other day, the room cleaned to a high degree of cleanliness, sheets changed every day. The staff in the bars and in the restaurant were efficient and friendly. I am dumbfounded by some of the comments about the surly staff. Didn't encounter it once. Perhaps the staff respond in the same way they are spoken to. As for one traveller stating the staff only took notice of them towards the end of the holiday when they wanted tips. For goodness sake, isn't it good practice to give tips (no matter the size) throughout the holiday? Do you know how little the staff are paid and the long hours they work?

We were served our drinks every night in glasses, we were not once served in a plastic cup, however, we preferred to sit on the mezzanin level on the terrace, perhaps if people drank at the pool bar then for reasons of safety drinks were served in plastic cups.

I am going to describe our last full day in the hotel and then you decide if this is a hotel you will like to stay at.
Breakfast, 4 grill chefs on duty. 0ne making omelettes to order or fried eggs. Another making fresh pancakes with a constant supply on a heated dish. Another making fresh "donuts" again with a constant supply on a heated dish. Another making the most amazing and tasty fresh local "naans". with a constant supply on a heated dish. A variety of cold cuts, lots of different types of bread, and in fact the grill chefs used to toast french loaves on the grill. Lots of grilled tomatoes, boiled eggs, sausages and a grill to cook your own bacon on. I have never seen bacon before served in a Muslim country.
Lunch. 3 grill chefs on duty. 0ne making fresh stirfries with fresh meat and fresh vegetables. Fantastic. Three other chefs making fresh pasta dishes and fresh pizzas with a variety of toppings. There was an abundnance of salads, soup and fish every day, a selection of meat dishes and a selection of local dishes.
Evening meal. I ate fresh prawns (you could take as many as you wanted) straight from the grill, I then had tuna steaks and stir fried vegetables.
Dessert. Help yourself ice cream followed by a Choux Pastry confection. I had to pass on the offering of grapes, plums and pears. There was a live band playing in the dining room, and diners were dancing and the animation team were dancing with guests.

We had spent the day reading on the very clean and well cared for beach, security was obvious, no "outsiders" bothered us, we watched the Volley Ball and then went for archery. Cold fresh bottles of water both still and sparkling were available as were a full range of drinks all day every day.

Evening. After our meal we saw an excellent show and had drinks served quickly, efficiently, politely and with good humour. We never once felt second class citizens or that the French were served before us. The vast majority of holidaymakers are French, the ones we spoke to were pleasant and friendly. Not enough British holidaymakers know about Djerba and so don't tend to travel there, and frankly the problem isn't helped by the negative and often misleading reviews.
Yes there were flies in the restaurant - particularly at lunchtime -and this does want addressing by the Manager, but there were electronic fly traps (clearly not enough). This is my only negative point. The food was absolutely fine and the beach wonderful and plenty of beds, pads, parasols and very clean. The animation were excellent. Try this hotel, you'll love it if you are the average fair-minded traveller. I take many and regular holidays I know a decent hotel when I see one, and this hotel is absolutely fine. We had a smashing holiday, and yes we would book again, and yes I would recommend this to friends and family.
I do think the manager should engage more (if at all) with his guests. I had an idea who the manager was as I saw him in the dining room, but he didn't speak to anyone other than his dining companions. As we were waiting to leave he walked past us without a word. I have been to other hotels where the managers have thanked us for staying with them and asked us if there are any suggestions that would have improved their service. Frankly, as long as he is ignoring the negative reviews without answering back (as other managers often do) then he will suffer from less bookings.
Happy to answer to any emails of enquiry. Book this holiday and enjoy!

Room Tip: We were given a room with a sea view but to the side of the hotel. We didn't book or pay for a...
4 Thank janethendrixlover

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Polish first
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 October 2013

Flies in Restaurant.
Sadly this hotel falls well short of hygiene standards. In the restaurant the food was not covered so the the flies had a field day, the glasses on numerous occasions were chipped and cracked. We and many guests suffered from upset stomachs.
The bedrooms are very basis but they were kept clean, there are no fridges in the rooms either.
How this hotel is classed as 4star + is beyond me. One good side was that the
Pool area is very good with plenty of sun beds

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Alan F
Reviewed 6 October 2013

We're a young couple travelling without children.
We booked the holiday quite far in advance before researching too much about the place and it wasn't until 2 weeks before we were due to leave we read these trip advisor reviews, needless to say we were more than worried.
Well what can we say, what a load of moany old picky pleople!!!
From the moment we got off the coach and step foot into the hotel for check in we were made to feel welcome by a highly energetic animation team, admittedly check in was slow due to the volume of guests however we were kept thoroughly entertained.
Room was very large & clean, although we had to push 2 single beds together & view wasn't great but if you wanna have a good holiday & make the most of what the complex offers how oftern are you gunna be in your room?!
It's true that not much English is spoken, majority was French & Dutch but effort was still made & we were constantly still involved.
Being there for 2 weeks, food was nice but quite samey, it was quite authentic Tunisian food so if you are into trying different things like us you'll love it if not & you only stick to English varieties, food could be limited.
Even though there was not much to see or do outside the holiday complex unless trips were booked & paid for the hotel does have so much to keep you entertained eg. 3 restaurants, 2 bars, shisha lounge, disco, swimming pools, private beach, shops, hair salon, spa, mini golf, archery, aqua gym & much more.
We did also do some great trips, feeding at a crocodile park, pirate boat, camel ride, jet skiing, paragliding & water sports.
In the evenings, entertainment was varied, the animation team were full of life & always encouraging guests to get involved although nothing stops you sitting back, watching & having a giggle.
To some the place, great value for money, what you put in, you get more out, a holiday is what you make it!!!
Highly recommend, don't believe these grumpy reviews!!!

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank CoupleSusNick
Northampton
Reviewed 6 October 2013 via mobile

After reading several bad reviews before we went away we were a little worried about visiting the hotel... We didn't read the reviews until after booking as we wanted a cheap week in the sun (we paid £430 each for a week all-inclusive) but I must admit after reading the reviews shortly after booking I was a little scared of going!
We booked with Thomas Cook and out flights and transfers were all fine. The transfer was longer than the stated time from Thomas Cook - it is an hour and a half from Djerba airport.

I was expecting all sorts of negative things during the holiday but to be completely honest there was nothing that we would have complained about. The hotel was nice and the staff are very friendly. We had read so,e awful reviews about the staff being rude to English people but we didn't find this at all - everyone was lovely and always trying to please everyone.

The pool was lovely and the beach was great - perfect facilities for a week in the sun. We never had a problem getting a sun bed at either, and the food and drink facilities were near both.

The room we had overlooked the pool which was great, and the size was good enough for a week. We had a reasonable size bathroom and toilet and these were always cleaned nicely every day by the cleaner lady.

We would recommend asking for a room away from the entertainment stage.... The stage was near a big section of rooms and the entertainment was loud until 11-12ish midnight and we would have not liked to have had a room near the stage... Worth requesting to be away from it!

The entertainment was extremely.....basic.... The guys really try hard but it isn't great.... But if you have been to Tunisia before you kind of know what to expect!

The drinks and food were good enough for a week, but to be honest we would have been bored if we were there for two weeks. The fresh tuna steak and fish was amazing.

All in all the hotel is great if you are just wanting a week in the sun. The people were lovely and the facilities were good. The weather is incredible, it was around 35 degrees in July. The 4 star rating is perhaps a little high for the hotel although all the Tunisian and Egyptian hotels seem to have their own star ratings...!

Positive points;

-weather
-pool
-cheap!
-fresh fish food

Negative points;

-not much facilities outside of the hotel
-flies...
-small drink cups - but it's unlimited to just get more exercise going to the bar :)

All in all a great holiday, basic facilities but nice room, nice people, nice food and drink and lovely if you want a chilled week to sun yourself and relax :)

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 September 2013

I began this review hoping to keep it brief and to the point, however it hasn’t turned out that way, although I hope that it would help in getting an honest picture of the Eden Star. Myself and my partner have just returned from a week's stay at this hotel. We had a fantastic holiday, however it wasn't without its problems in the hotel. I am not a complainer and certainly don't pick holes. I will give an honest opinion on this place good and bad points.

Before booking the holiday I had a look at the reviews on here, although some were negative I was still willing to give it a chance. We found a good deal and thought it would still be worth a try.

We stayed from 14 – 21 September 2013. We had arranged a separate transfer rather than paying for the Thomas Cook transfers so we arrived before the coach load which made checking in a lot easier. We arrived at around 1am on the Sunday. There were three couples and we were the third lot to check in, straightforward and we were escorted by the concierge to our room. I say escorted, we had to run after him past the pool through the sunbeds, up and down stairs and ramps. We arrived at our room C232, the concierge was mopping his brow and puffing as he opened the door and showed us the room, then it came, the loitering, we explained we had no money to give him a tip and would find him the next day, he asked us for a £10 note!!! We made excuses and said we would find him. We were glad we didn't give a £10 tip the next morning when we left the room to discover he had actually taken us on a scenic route to the room and was obviously playing us.

The room was a nice size, comfortable and clean. It had a sea view, although overlooked the area where horses and a camel are kept so was a little smelly when the veranda door was opened but was no bother to us. There are safes in the rooms, these are key operated but we were not offered a key on check in. It took us two days to sort a key out as each time we tried to get one we were told there were none available. We had to carry our passports and valuables with us all of the time so we knew they were safe until we finally got a safe key on the Monday, we couldn't understand why they do not have a key for every room. The safe keys are chargeable at 2 1/2 Dinar per day which was fine (about £1 per day).

The cleaners did an okay job of cleaning the rooms but I think they could have done better, however we think they didn't do as good a job as they could have done due to our lack of tipping. We didn't tip because one of the cleaners, on our first day had the cheek to use a generous amount of my brand new unused bottle of designer perfume purchased on my way out there, I classed this as her tip and from then on locked the perfume away!!

With regards to food. We had read some reviews previously about the food being left uncovered. We didn't appreciate how bad it was until we were actually there. The chilled food i.e. salad, cheese, cold meats, bread, cereals, deserts, are all sat on open chillers. They are not covered up by any means and there are a LOT of flies around crawling on the food. This restricted us on what we were willing to eat and made me feel like a fussy eater which I am not by any means. What food we did eat was nice though and without the fly problem there would have been plenty of choice. The dining area does lack atmosphere though. Each meal time, breakfast or dinner it felt a little like a school canteen, if you are not early for breakfast or dinner, it is a struggle to find a table which is made up with cutlery, a struggle to find cups, glasses etc. and we often found ourselves wandering aimlessly. Lunch times, we didn’t bother with the main dining room. The best meal time we had in the main dining room was on the last evening, they pulled out all the stops, there was candle light on every table, extra tables of food and much more to choose from. There was a live band playing on the dining terrace and lots more live cooking stations. The atmosphere was wonderful and felt very romantic. I commented to my partner that it should have been like this every night!! As well as the main dining room, there is a snack bar by the pool area which serves pizza and chips which was fresh enough not to have had flies crawling everywhere so we stuck to the snack bar for lunch.

As previous reviews have mentioned, the drinks are served in small glasses or plastic cups. With this in mind we took thermos cups with us, ordered two drinks each at a time and poured them into our thermos cups, kept them nice and chilled and lasted that little bit longer between trips to the bar. There was a problem with shortage of glasses at the bar as well and quite a lot of glasses were chipped or had great big cracks in them. My partner took one back to the bar and complained that there was a crack and the bar man took it off him and rinsed it through and put it back with the glasses for serving!!! The next one we had with a chip went in the bin by us because it was sharp. We had no problems with service from the bar staff they were very friendly and polite although on occasion some looked like they didn’t want to be there but they never favoured French over us. They served in order of people arriving at the bar which was fair. However one problem was that they rinse glasses under cold water and don’t actually wash them properly.

My partner ended up with a very upset stomach towards the end of the week and I also had stomach complaints towards the end of the week. We were very careful ourselves only brushing our teeth with bottled water and drinking bottled water so we suspect that this may have been to do with the food preparation/storage conditions and possibly the fly situation.

The animation team work hard and are there from early in the morning to late at night from entertaining by the pool and taking archery and exercise classes to night time entertainment which is a little shabby but bearing in mind they work such long hours I think this can be forgiven. They don’t mither too much, will always ask if you want to join in any games but when we said no they left us alone.

The pools seemed nice and clean although a little tired in places where there were broken tiles. We only actually saw someone cleaning the pool in the middle of the day after a storm however they didn’t do a very good job as there were still tree debris floating around afterwards.

The beach was nice, a lot of seaweed around which you expect in the sea! But if you don’t like it it’s a little tricky getting in and out. The water is beautiful though like a warm bath and there is a nice breeze if the still hot air around the pool is too much.

There are three A La Carte restaurants which we decided not to bother with so cannot comment on those. There never seemed to be anyone at the entrance to the main restaurant to book anything! We did try the Tunisian café though, first attempt we waited around and asked for a chicha, after ten minutes of waiting were brought Tunisian Tea! We waited a while longer and couldn’t find anyone to check up with so left. Second attempt waited around and were eventually seen to by a gentleman in hotel uniform who charged us 6 ½ dinar for a chicha and offered us some spare when we ran out. Third night we were greeted by a man in Tunisian clothing, after much waiting around he waved to us to be seated and later brought a chicha which nearly choked us! He took 20 dinar from my partner and didn’t return with any change, he popped in and out laughing and joking with everyone and my partner asked for change, he brought us 10 dinar change! When we were leaving he earned his tip by getting us in all sorts of silly positions and wearing silly hats whilst he took photos on our camera, all the time sounding like Mr Bean!.

Although there are a lot of little problems we did enjoy our stay, if you want a relaxing holiday with guaranteed sun this is a good place to go for a cheap holiday. I personally would not go back there again though. They gave us feedback forms on our last day and asked for suggestions for improvements which we filled in, although I did receive a dressing down from a member of the kitchen staff who read over my shoulder and began telling me that English standards are too high and that high standards cannot be expected from all inclusive, if high standards are expected you shouldn’t do all inclusive. It was quite embarrassing as we were sat by the pool when this man decided to have his rant. Needless to say he made a big mistake shouting at me whilst I was filling a feedback form out and this was added to the feedback. I just hope they take on board suggestions that customers make, it could be a very nice hotel if they made a few adjustments.

1 Thank LeaLea80
blackpool
Reviewed 23 September 2013

A friend and I stayed at the Eden Star from the 7th to the 21st of September. Without a doubt although there are good and bad points to be made about this hotel we did have a lovely holiday.
Check In and Reception
Check In was slow due to the amount of people arriving at the same time. You had to get your own cases off the coach and bring them into the hotel yourself. The reception staff and some of the animation team did their best to get everyone checked in but it was a slow process. The reception staff were pleasant throughout the holiday we found them to be helpful when needed although I speak French and some Arabic and this went a long way with the staff members on the reception and elsewhere who did not speak English.
I did try to find private transfer to avoid the queues but due to the lateness of our arrival I was unable to do so.
We were not given an information sheet by the reception staff but picked one up the next day. We got to our room at 3.25am after a take off in Manchester at 8.15 pm. The welcome meeting was 9.30am the same morning and we were unable to make this so had to figure everything out for ourselves. This is a problem with Thomas Cook rather than the hotel tho.
The Room
We had a ground floor room with a garden view (hmmmm!) which suited us well and was cool and quiet. The room had a king size bed and a bunk bed in it not really what we would have expected for 2 ladies of a certain age but I slept in the bunk bed and it was comfortable. The room was cleaned daily and well by a really nice woman. Anything we needed she sorted out for us. The room is a bit basic but was fine for us. The bathroom was clean and the shower was a good one. Towels were changed every day and the sheets were changed once a week. There are no small toiletries in the bathroom as you would have expected in a four star hotel but there was a dispenser on the wall over the bath with jasmine scented shower gel which came in handy for washing the swimwear through. The balcony was small and had a small washing line unit on it which was useful.
Beach
The beach is close to the pools and the hotel and is very pleasant to sit on with a lovely breeze coming off the sea. The sand is white and powdery and the sea was very warm. There are ample sun beds and parasols for everyone. The sea was very shallow and there is a lot of eel grass choking the sea and it washed up on the beach. This seaweed is collected up every day by a digger/tractor and dumped at either end of the beach in huge heaps which decompose and smell dreadful. There is no clarity in the water due the powdery sand but it was very pleasant to swim through although you do have to swim out quite far to get out of your depth.
There are a few sellers on the beach both from the hotel and casual sellers passing by but no hassle. There is a chap turns up everyday selling beautiful sarongs. Most sellers are selling trips. We used Mustapha on the beach to hire a car and driver to take us around the island and to visit the sights. He was much cheaper than the hotel for the same car hire and trip.
You need to collect towels from Fares (a lovely man, really helpful). The towel booth is attached to the pool bar and you take your towels down to the beach with you. There is a deposit of £10 per towel. You organise this at the reception then take the cards they give you to Fares and he exchanges them for towels each day.
There is a variety of motorised and non motorised boats on the beach. The non motorised ones are included in your AI. The motorised ones have to be paid for. There are boat trips of a couple of hours available and leave from the beach to visit a nearby island.
The beach bar only has water and soft drinks available.
Pool
The pools are nice and cool compared to the sea. We enjoyed the pool scene and due to the cheerful hard work of the animation team it is great fun. The main pool goes from shallow to deep and you walk straight into it from the shallow end so very easy access for non swimmers or children.
The pools were not cleaned early enough or indeed often enough. The pool guys worked during the day with hoses etc in the water whilst people were in the pools. A child was sick and had the runs in the main pool and the sick was not cleaned up for 3 days. The poo was removed by his father rather than pool cleaners.
The smaller of the 2 main pools was used for all the fun and games so this left the bigger pool free if you didn’t want to join in. There is also a small kiddie pool.
Pool Bar
The Pool Bar serves a full selection of the AI drinks including cocktails. You don’t choose your cocktail tho, you just have what they give you. We liked the cocktails tho so no problem for us. The drinks are served in plastic glasses if you are taking them to the beach and in smallish glasses if you are staying near the pool. We took thermal mugs with us and they were happy to fill these for us with whatever. We were much happier with these as the hygiene on the glasses was pretty dreadful. Glasses were rinsed out under a tap and then reused. Cleanliness is not good at this hotel.
The staff were a bit of a mixture. The daytime mostly seemed to be hardworking but pleasant enough. On finding I could speak French and Arabic were very jokey and kind with us. However the guy that came on after 4 o’clock for the night time shift - a smallish young man with curly hair was really rude. I have never had a staff member in Tunisia actually shouting at me before. I objected to him ignoring me and serving other nationalities coming up to bar after me. He shouted at me that ‘‘You British you always want to be first’. I replied that ‘No, I didn’t, I just wanted my turn’. He just sneered at me chucked a couple of drinks at me and laughed at me as I walked away. I spoke to his manager who took the details but I doubt he spoke to him as I had to put up with the barman sneering at me for the rest of the holiday and he would not serve me. Therefore we didn’t use the pool bar at night which was a shame as this was used to service the entertainment area at night so we did not go to any of the entertainment because of this.
Reception Bar
The main bar upstairs is large and comfortable with an inside and outside seating area. It is adjacent to the Tunisian coffee bar and is busy at night. We tended to use this area in the evening and found the staff mainly pleasant. Cocktails in this bar were also a bit hit and miss.
Restaurants.
The Main Restaurant
Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner were taken in the main restaurant. There is seating outside and inside and outside was always cooler than inside. We enjoyed the food and felt it was well prepared and varied. There is an outside flame grilled area most nights with a good selection of food on it in addition to the show cooking going on in the restaurant itself. We did enjoy the food, especially the fresh tuna, however the ever present flies clustered around any standing food in the restaurant service areas was very off putting, it really limited your choices, and food was not covered. Lack of cleanliness was very evident in the restaurant with glasses and china having to be closely examined to find clean ones. Glasses particularly were dirty with lipstick stains etc on them. The waiters were a bit of a mixture with a couple of really helpful ones but in the main, they were rude and dismissive. We never did discover why some people were able to reserve tables which then had flowers, water and wine on waiting for them and others had to hang around hoping for a free table. We presumed it was tipping but having given a few tips out we were still none the wiser. It was easier to go and get your own bottle of water/salt and pepper etc than to try to attract a waiter to help you.
The BBQ Restaurant
This is situated next to the pool and was used as an alternative to using the main restaurant at lunch time. It served chicken burgers (which certainly are not burgers!) fresh cooked pizzas and french fries with fruit and cakes for dessert. You could also have the al a carte menu there once a week which made a nice change. We really liked this restaurant and strange as it seems so close to the beach there were less flies here than in the main restaurant.
The ‘Al a Carte’ Restaurants
There are three Al a Carte Restaurants which you can eat in once a week as part of your AI. The BBQ as above and also a Tunisian restaurant. There was another Al a Carte restaurant but it was closed whilst we were there. With the BBQ restaurant you do choose your main course however with the Tunisian one it is a set menu rather than a true Al a Carte. You have to book both of these restaurants with the Maitre De of the main restaurant who has a lectern near the entrance/exit near the shops and pool tables although you may need to look for him as he sets tables etc. My friend found him to be a grumpy and unpleasant man but when I came along and spoke in French he couldn’t have been more helpful. French does go a long way here so it is worth taking a phrase book and giving it a go if you do not speak French, it will be appreciated by the staff.
Animation Team
What a nice bunch of lads they are, they never stop working and having fun with the guests. If you wanted to join in you could but if you did not there was no hassle to do so. It is a big animation team and they do try hard to entertain. The evening entertainment was much the same as elsewhere in Tunisia but from what we could see from the upper balcony bar it looked fun.
To sum up, we had a good holiday and the hotel is a nice one. However the flies and the lack of general cleanliness coupled with the unfriendly attitude from some of the staff would stop us recommending the Eden Star or indeed staying there again.
We used a private transfer to return to the airport. This was organised by Aladin who organises trips and can be found near the pool area. It was a lot easier and quicker than the coach. Make sure you haggle the price if you go on any trips with locals like Aladin.

Room Tip: Rooms facing away from the sea and pool have poor views but are quieter.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank makoshr
swindon
Reviewed 23 September 2013

I have never written a review on trip advisor before but feel that people really need to know what a awful hotel this really is. First check in is a nightmare arrived about midnight to find one person to check everybody in. which took nearly an hour. The rooms very basic we were lucky that we had a good maid who changed the towels everyday and kept our room clean. The reception staff are very rude and unhelpful we could not use the safe in our room because somebody had lost the key and they did not have a spare key, we were offered a different room which was worse than ours so ended up locking everything into our suitcase. The food in the hotel is cheap and nasty and covered in flies have not seen so many flies before, if you do find something to eat you are then constantly having to swat the flies because they keep flying round you. The plates are chipped and so are some of the glasses there is no enough cutlery so you have to go and find it yourself no teaspoons only plastic ones we did not bother with the al carte restaurants and people we spoke to said the food was no better. I do not know how Thomas cook can rate this as a four star hotel at a push I would say a basic three star. Needless to say my Husband and I have no arrived home with bad stomachs. One tip I would recommend is to do the Sahara desert trip it takes you away from the hotel for two days. We will be writing a letter of complaint to Thomas Cook. We Thomas Cooked it but won't again.

Room Tip: Don't bother going go somewhere else
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Zarzis
Hotel & Club Lella Meriam
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,636 reviews
Djerba Plaza Hotel & Spa
Odyssee Resort & Thalasso
Safira Palms Hotel & Spa

Been to Eden Star Zarzis? Share your experiences!