“Great vacation, August 2012.”

Caribbean World Mahdia
Ranked #9 of 18 Hotels in Mahdia
Reviewed 26 August 2012

Just came back from vacation in the Caribbean World and we had a lovely time. The resort was beautiful, a happy place with many colours. There were four swimmingpools; a big swimmingpool with a bar in the water, an indoor swimmingpool, a relax swimmingpool and an aquapark with several slides. All very nice, with good supervision. The beach was only a 50 meter walk with a great sea. For a small price you could also do several watersports and for example fly with a parachute (I did it, and it's really recommendable!) . Of course there were people walking around the beach, trying to sell you stuff, but they weren't permitted to walk to the tourists. The hotel also provided security on the beach, and warned tourists for rip offs.
The food from the buffet was okay-ish. There was enough variety and a lot of choice, both healthy as fast food. There was a salad bar, a special Tunesian and Italian corner, a diet corner, BBQ, desserts and fruit and warm dishes (fries, rice, meat, vegetables, etc, etc). Also, there was a snackbar and a sandwich cafe (for lunch). There were many bars and you could get drinks everywhere, also take bottles of water "home". We only once ate in one of the four restaurants; you had to eat from a fixed menu and the food wasn't better than from the buffet. In my opinion, the buffet was better. If you do want to eat in one of the restaurants, be sure to make a reservation a few days ahead! Most of us did get sick though, possibly from the food or from the water. Fortunately, this was only during the first days (we stayed two weeks). Just be carefull with everything you drink/eat. It might have been just one dish that got us all sick!
The animation team was great, there were many activities for kids but also for adults. They offered a wide range of sports; yoga in the morning, aquarobics, volleyball, football, waterpolo, etc, etc. There were also tennis courses, but I didn't check them out. The shows at night were either hilarious or very poorly, but at least they tried. The nightclub was small and never very crowded, but looked good and had a decent DJ. The rooms were average, not very luxorious but okay. You got clean towels everyday (also for the swimmingpool!) and the cleaning wass good. The televisions offered channels in almost every language; a lot of German channels, BBC, a dutch channel, Russian (or something alike) channels and Arabic channels. The spa was great, unfortunately one of the staff members almost stole my golden bracelett during the massage. All other staff members were really nice. The prices were very reasonable in the spa. The hotel has Wi-Fi in the lobby, which worked fine when there weren't too many people. The hotel is situated in quit an empty area. There is one big shop, a bank and a restaurant nearby (10 minute walk). The nearest city is a ten minute drive with the taxi, but the city and its market wasn't really special. Overall, me and my family had a great time. I'm very pleased with the services at the hotel, and would certainly come back! One tip; give a generous tip to one of the waiters at the dinner buffet. You'll get the best tables and the drinks and so on will be served to you!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank Rebekah J

Reviewed 26 August 2012

I booked 2 rooms for me and my kids, thought are communicating rooms but at arrival we found no the hotel don't have communicating rooms. Since the hotel was busy, we have been given 2 rooms far away from each other!!! that was a bad start. The rooms are very basic, reminds me of a 2 start hotels in EU. AC barely working and the rooms smell humidity. The food was very average and lines are long for some of it. It seems the hotel was booked over the capacity which made the quality below average.
The positive side is the swimming pool with the slides and the Mahdia beach which was great.
I don't recommend this hotel which does not keep high standard even during peak season.

Room Tip: Select rooms that are in the main building
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
8  Thank Sissou1
Reviewed 2 August 2012

Caribbian World Mahdia is the best hotel in Mahdia. We come in this hotel five years and certanly coming again, becouse here working the very nice people. Thank you very match Caribbian for best holiday. We love you.

Room Tip: first floor room is better
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank Elena F
Reviewed 22 July 2012

There are these people who walk around the pool area promoting the spa and signing up people to get spa treatments. I fell for it and signed up for a spa package. While at the spa, while I was getting the mud treatment, the lady indicated that she would remove my necklace, so she took it off and set it aside. I go through the whole treatment and left. The next morning, I went back to the spa and asked for my necklace. After a while, they said they could not find it. That it probably got washed down a drain. We went to go see the hotel manager and he said that they would ask the jeweler at the hotel to get another necklace. It was a necklace which my husband bought for me for 600 Euro after the birth of my son when I nearly died! The guy at the jewelry shop said that he hired someone to make the necklace for me as a replacement. After days of waiting, a necklace arrive which looked NOTHING like my old one. I asked specifically if they were real diamonds and real gold. He said yes. My husband was skeptical so he took it into the city of Mahdia searching for an expert appraiser. After going to 3 other Jewelers, he found an expert who verified that the "diamonds" were cubic zirconia and the chain was gold plated silver. It had a street value of about 10 Euro, NOT 600 Euro. My husband got the certification and showed the hotel manager. All he could say was that he was not an expert. When we confronted the salesperson at the little hotel jewelry shop, he said the hotel manager called him after we had all met and told him to find something cheap as a replacement. Then the next few days, the hotel manager kept saying that he was trying to contact one of the owners of the spa, a doctor. He never showed up to meet with us. Finally, on the last day, everyone was trying to avoid us exept for the cheating jewelry sales person who was trying to get us to buy leather jackets. We don't know who to believe or whether they are all lying.
Needless to say, it was the first vacation when we were happy when we had to leave. Being hounded by the lying jewelry shop guy, the inept hotel manager, and countless other people who made the experience a nightmare. Equally, we had our son's birthday present and a swimming ring taken. ARGH!!!!!
As to the hotel, the pictures I uploaded tell the story. It was old, dirty and unsanitary. I took the pictures only after they cleaned and after we gave the cleaning lady HUGE tips of 10 Euros to hopefully get it a bit cleaner.
The pool area was so dirty. There were cigarette butts everywhere, trash and the edge of the pool had mildew and slime.
The food was ok but the lines were outrageous. You have to wait in a 20 person line for WATERMELON! Oh, and my husband got food poisoning so he was laid up for two days and the doctor came and prescribed him some nice and powerful medicine. That was probably the best part of our trip. The good doctor who didn't seem to try to get money out of us.
At the end, we just took a taxi into the city and ate at a nice restaurant.
So in the end, DON'T STAY AT THE CARIBBEAN WORLD!!!!!! Spend your hard earned money elsewhere because they think that tourists pick their money off trees and it is just fine for them to try to get you to part with as much as possible.
Oh, one positive, the service is good, IF YOU TIP well. If not, expect to be ignored and have the tables "reserved" for the tippers.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank sheyingermany
Reviewed 27 June 2012

booked this hotel with on the beach ..got all reference numbers.. booked 5 rooms for 10 guests from young to old ..only to be told when arrived no rooms booked ... had all the proof all the required paperwork... and still told nothing booked.... the man on reception was getting very annoyed... he was very unhelpful ... he just did not want to know .. finally we was threw out on to the street with all are luggage .. this was the end result after we all stayed carm... i would not like to see what they would have done if we caused a seen.. if you have booked this hotel with on the beach you are likely to be on the street to.... this hotel will not help you in any way shape or form i would rate it 0 out 10 be aware

Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
9  Thank dbrwatts
Reviewed 1 February 2012

I travelled in the last week of May last year with my friend and her 3 year old boy and we all had a fantastic time! As a cheap, last minute getaway we had no complaints - very clean and well kept. Baring in mind the hotel was approximately only 20% full, there was always things going on and the staff were very helpful and friendly, going out of their way to ensure we had a good holiday.

ACCOMMODATION:- Rooms were basic but clean. We paid for a family room which was 2 large adjoining rooms - very spacious. As it wasn't very hot at this time of year we didn't use our air con so cannot comment.

POOL/BEACH AREA:- The main pool was large with a swim up bar, we only got in the pool a couple of times as the water was freezing - should imagine it would be quite refreshing at the height of summer when the weather gets hot. There were plenty of sunbeds around, fairly comfortable. They do play music at various points throughout the day and can be quite loud with activities going on around the main pool - this didn't bother us, but for those who prefer peace and quiet, there was a quiet pool on the resort. We didn't get chance to use the slides as the season wasn't really underway, but I can say that yes, they are a bit out of the way with no bar or toilets nearby. The beach was absolutely beautiful!!!! It was extremely clean and I would advise a swim in the clear blue waters - I have never been a lover of the see but here I was in it everyday!

FOOD/DRINK:- Food wasn't the best i've ever had at an all inclusive hotel - but by no means the worst. We only had the option to eat in the main restaurant because the hotel was quiet, which was a shame as it would've been nice to try the other restaurants. Even the poolside grille/bar was closed during our stay but we can appreciate that it wasn't high season. There was enough variety and we tried something new everyday - no stomach problems! There was a wide enough selection of drinks (mainly local produce) - not watered down like some places! Although there was a charge for imported brands, and they stopped serving at 11pm Drinks served in large enough plastic glasses by the pool.

ENTERTAINMENT/ANIMATION:- The animation team were brilliant! Very good with my friends little boy, very child friendly. Even though the hotel was quiet they put so much effort into providing activities throughout the day and regular evening shows. Not broadway standard but when are they ever?! Some shows are quite cheesy but that doesn't bother me - it's a bit of fun in the evenings. The entertainment goes on until around 11pm but there is a nightclub in a central location of the resort, however this isn't included in the a/i - we did witness Russian holidaymakers taking their own vodka in so I would suggest doing that!

KIDS CLUB:- There was a lot for kids to do at this resort the kids club hut was by the main pool so we were able to relax while my friends boy went off to play with his new friends. He was constantly asking when he could go to the kids club - the staff were great with the children and had a variety of activities for them to join in if they wanted to. Kids disco every night before the main show, same songs over and over but the kids looked like they were having fun!

We got this holiday for an extremely cheap price so we went with open minds and a 'you get what you pay for attitude.' But we can honestly say it exceeded our expectations and we had an extremely enjoyable week - staff were so friendly, resort was clean and well kept, and catered for all. We would definitely return! We would probably return in high season as there would be more going on and more facilities available.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank Hammy_33
Reviewed 29 September 2011

Had a lovely time here, 2 hour transfer from new airport which was modern and clean. Hotel room was good size with balcony, no air con which would have been good. AI was excellent with drinks 12 hours a day with good selection. Food also good, pancakes, omlettes, fried eggs all cooked to order. Lunch and dinner had good selection, always fish, pasta, various meats and of course chips. There is also 4 speciality restaurants including Mexican, Indian, Tunisian and Italian which have to be booked the day before but thoroughly recommended. Snack bar had panninis if you just wanted a snack. Hotel is quite remote but good supermarket close by. Animation team fun to watch around pool, but not so good in evenings. Pool fantastic, with a lovely beach behind hotel. A very enjoyable holiday.

Room Tip: Don't go over reception because the buses drop off there in the night so it is noisy
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple