“Professionally run excellent hotel”

Mahdia Palace Thalasso
Ranked #2 of 18 Hotels in Mahdia
Reviewed 12 April 2014

I have stayed at another excellent hotel in Mahdia, so was a little apprehensive about deciding to change venue. I shouldn't have worried.
Visually, a beautiful hotel with a traditional Tunisian foyer with a wide marble staircases sweeping down to the lower floors - traditional Arab carved balustrades and mazzanine - awesome! Very friendly and welcoming staff greeted us on arrival at reception with a fresh fruit drink. On reception level there was a large lounge with huge comfy settees and chairs. Several bars and a Night Club. Also on that lever, the entrance to the Thalasso.
A large shop selling a wide range of items was located on the second floor . On the bottom floor were several games rooms, TV lounge and a library. (What a pity the guests who 'borrowed' the books failed to return them!) and the entrance to the indoor pool. There was also a small lounge serving the traditional mint teas etc.
We used 2 dining rooms during our stay - both excellent not crowded. The food was a major problem for me, as it was simply excellent with a buffet offering a good range of salads and horse- d'oeuvre, and continental breads, salamis, cheeses etc, 2 very popular soups a superb choices of both Tunisian Cuisine and European style food.with a range of freshly grilled foods and my downfall, a beautiful and extensive range of mouthwatering desserts. Always fresh fruits and usually a range of ice cream - and after the first 2 weeks, I had to limit my visits to the evening meal as i found it very difficult to resist the temptations offered by the brilliant chef and his team. Also, very quick and professional service from the waiters and maítre d's.
Our room was well proportioned with separate bathroom and toilet/bidet and situated to include a sea and pool view from the large balcony. Flat screen TV, mini fridge and coffee table and chairs. The Housekeeping service was more than excellent with tireless friendly service from the housekeeper and her team. Such hardworking personnel!
A sculptured outdoor pool with fountains and a small toddler's pool - and a pool bar with waiter service for those sunbathing around the pools and gardens. Beach towels were available for a small refundable deposit. One step out of the well maintained garden and you are literally on the best beach in Tunisia.
Any problems during our stay? It would be impossible to find the smallest thing to complain about and we have every intention of returning in November for another elongated stay.
We would both like to thank all the staff involved with our stay!!

7  Thank jennyfrank
There are newer reviews for Mahdia Palace Thalasso

Reviewed 24 January 2014

Hi,
we stayed in this hotel between 30 june - 09 august 2013. We was 8 person, splitted into two families. I booked All Inclusive, because it is more better for my family. I chose this location because a few friends told me it is ok, nice and super Beach, and it is something different from Monastir, I refer here to the beach. And in this regard I have not cheated at all.
Are generally satisfied with this holiday and will recommend this hotel to anyone known for the same things that I've been attracted to him: the locvation andthe Beach.
But, to be short, I emphasize fast and elegant what was good, and what is not.

HOTEL: very nice and elegant, huge, coolest than outside(verily), clean.

GARDEN: tended garden, gree and not dry like other gardens in other hotels in the area. very very nice

BEACH: very fine sand , almost white, with many beautiful shells, the water is warm and crystal clear blue. I have not seen aquatic fauna, a few (2-3) small white fishes. No dolphins, no jellyfish, good. Underwater see nothing, just sand.
Overall, the location is excellent.

MAIN RESTAURANT: clean, but need some ”update”.You will not always find clean plates or glasses or soup bowls, forks, spoons, etc.
The food, the vegetables, the fruits, the cakes, cookies, the salads, the bread, soft drinks or alcoholic Beverages, wine, beer or anything else: IS VERY VERY GOOD quality and in enough quantity. Always will fiind something good to eat, even are you a vegetarian, or a carnivore.

AMERICAN BAR: Good, nice...so ”amerkan”. Is the only place from where you can get bottled water to the Beach or in hotel room for free, if you have AI, if not you will pay ~3 USD for 900 ml.

The ”ON THE BEACH RESTAURANT” actually is not on the Beach - clean, but you will not enjoy anything here, in a Word: horror. The snacks, inexistent or a few pizza slice (two fingers) disgusting, no taste. You have, hovewer, cookies. The soft drinks with taste of drugs., The alcoholic drinks were the worst kind, inacceptable, whisky - paracetamol taste, buhka - horrible, gin, i shall be sick. the beer was acceptable, the only one what you can drink!
Coffee sucked, I never drink coffee sucks so alive.
Not gave coffee spoons. If however you receive one, the waiter told me to lick the spoon and blend afterwards in the other cups. I felt humiliated. I never expected such a humiliating response, not in a 5* (???) hotel, not even in a pub.
My brother in law is German, and he received the same treatment
If you want something bottled drinks (soft drinks, fanta, Boga, Coke) pay for it: ~3 USDs, for a bottled beer (0.33 ml) ~5 USDs even if you have All Inclusive.

ROOM CLEANING: good job
SLEEP QUALITY: very good
WAITERS: were deplorable, ALL (they are ALL, 7* ha-ha)

Inacceptable:
At dinner in the main restaurant, I saw a disgusting thing, waiters after emptying the table, and there remained half water bottles, they emptied the contents into another bottle by making one full. If you asked for a bottle of plain water, then they get one with the label changed and of course other 2-3 bottles filled, no matter what type of water was (gas or simple).

In the same restaurant, i was investigated by waiters if i have or not the All Inclusive ticket. I had to climb into the room and get my ticket to me, because I was refused to be served. Sucks, does not happen when I just arrived at the hotel, but after a few good days

ANIMATION: ?????
Where was the animation team, very very weak. Zero absolut!

What would change in this hotel?
Staff, waiters, receptionists, otherwise leave `it goes so.

And finally a few recomandations:
- put a little soft drinks machine on the Beach, please. The only one bar from outside of American bar is the Beach bar, and ...it is not actually on the Beach
- increase the quality of alcoholic beverages, soft drinks. Even in the cheapest, stinking and ordinary pub serving drinks in the world so bad

Thats it!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank Richard B
Reviewed 31 December 2013

I had to leave my wife and my kids in the car at the parking lot and i had to walk about 300 m to the reception because the ignorence of the door man.Very raciste service at the hotel restaurant.The waiter does not even looking at you if you are a tunisian perhaps he applies 5 star services to the foreigners.He does not even poor coffee to you or pick up empty plates or glases from your table.It was the first time in my life that I could not wait to check out from a 5 stars hotel and to get the hell out.What a desepointment in my own town .I shorted my stay from 5 nights to one.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank mohabsl
Reviewed 27 December 2013

We stayed in this wonderful hotel in the end of November and were charmed with it.
The weather was good, sunny and warm; some people sunbathed and even swam in the sea but walks along the beach were the most pleasant moments of bliss.
The hotel is very clean and cozy, decorated in traditional Arabic style; staff is very polite and helpful.
Cuisine is very good, there was a choice of specialties Tunisian as well as dishes European.
Thalasso centre in the hotel is beyond praise.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Olga043
Reviewed 11 September 2013

So, there was a wide variety of food, the very nice room and charming azure sea, though the beach wasn't so incredibly large as last year in another nice hotel in Hammamet.

At the same time it's Tunisia. So here 5 stars do not mean extra high level of service, but the size of the hotel complex and really huge amount of people. We've stayed there the last week of August and the 1st week in September, it was always overcrowded during lunch and dinner. It is really better to go to Tunisia in October, as we did the last year.

Among the disadvantages - there was no bar right at the beach and the beach equipment was quite old. And no windsurfing among water sports, though there was often windy. Somebody was doing kite-surfing, the sea is not deep and it was windy every day, the place is good for this sport ...and, by the way, forget about wifi, it was extra paid and not available on the beach. In the end, you come to relax to the sea, so enjoy it - its wonderful!

1  Thank _muri_muri_muri_
Reviewed 7 September 2013

Arrived at the Golden Tulip Mahdia Palace Resort and Thalasso in the early hours of Saturday 31 August 2013 after a very long transfer of 2 hours from Enfidha airport. On arrival the man on Reception didn't really understand us, he then couldn't find our second room, anyway we then asked him whether room service would be available as we'd had a very long journey and were very hungry - he said that there was no room service in the hotel, we then asked if there was some sort of food available to us, he wasn't being very helpful at all and said there wasn't, we then advised him that we were on halfboard and were entitled to our evening meal, he said that dinner had finished which was understandable at 2am in the morning, however with being on halfboard we expected some sort of refreshment/food. After a lot of standing in Reception, he then said I will get a bit of food for you and pointed down some stairs, we then proceeded to walk downstairs and eventually found the restaurant, there were a few waiters around and they brought us some very hard bread and some yoghurts after about 20 mins of waiting, we then asked if we could have some water and bearing in mind you're not allowed to bring Tunisian currency from outside of the country we had no money on us, the waiter brought the bottle of water and expected us to pay for it - we refused, they then gave us some very tepid water from a machine. Whilst eating we were surrounded by flies and the table cloths were dirty and stained and I even found a hair on the table!!! After eating, it was then 3am in the morning, we then were taken to our rooms by the concierge man, the rooms were a nightmare to get to, we were up and down numerous flights of stairs and when we did get to the rooms they were miles apart and the corridors were very hot and dark and the carpet was thread bare and ruckling up in places causing a trip hazard. Anyway we got in the rooms and weren't happy with how far apart they were - we stopped and looked at them for a while and whilst doing this the concierge man was just stood in the room wanting his tip!!! We went back to Reception and asked for some more rooms, the original man that we saw was a little more friendly and helpful and then put us in some other rooms over the other side of the hotel, a little closer together but on the ground floor which was a bit scary for females travelling alone! Anyway by this time it was 4am and we were shattered so we slept for four hours and went back to Reception the following day to get moved again into interconnecting rooms (which we'd requested) a really nice lady was on Reception called Afef with excellent English and she showed us a few rooms but these were on -2 and were submerged into the ground so we didn't have a view and the smell was terrible. She said that she would have some beautiful interconnecting rooms available for us the next day and to come back - the following day we came back and she said they were available - we then moved all our belongings into the new rooms and were much happier and these rooms overlooked the golf course (not much of a golf course if I say so myself!) The rooms in the hotel are spacious but very tired and dirty in places - definitely not 5*. The only English channel on the television was BBC World News and this always had signalling issues and cut out and there was a constant bleeping on the television for the duration of watching it. My tv remote wasn't working when I moved into the new room so I phoned Reception asking for batteries, the batteries I was told would arrive in 10 mins, they arrived 24 hours later. There's also no mini bar in the room.

The pools at the hotel are dirty with thick scum marks round the top of the tiles of the pool, the sunbeds are old and tired and ripped in places. You also have to pay a deposit of 10 dinar per towel for the sunbeds and then you have to queue up at the pool hut to get the towel and they have to search for your room number each day in this book - it's a ridiculous system and not what you should be met with in a so-called 5* hotel. There was also broken glass round the pool bar and when my mum mentioned this to the pool bar waiter he just giggled in her face and found it hilarious that someone would cut themselves on it. We went to the spa and thought this was all part of the hotel however you had to pay. One day when it was stormy we went to use the indoor swimming pool but this was locked and we were unable to use it. There was also no information about the hotel in the rooms and the wifi isn't free like it is in hotels and we were told it would work in the room but it didn't! I was very disappointed. There was also no iron available, when we asked about the iron at Reception the man, Hassan said that the ironing service was done off site and takes 48 hours and you have to pay - this was a joke for a 5* hotel when you travel such a long way and are bound to have creased clothes - we found him to be very rude, unhelpful and he shouted at us.

In terms of the food - there was a lot of choice however the waiters were unprofessional, dirty, rude, had very poor communication skills and didn't understand a word of English which made breakfast and dinner times rather unpleasant. Also, being asked for coffee every day and being leered at whilst getting and eating my food was an awful experience, you expect this type of behaviour on the street not in the hotel! The waiters need to be spoken to and pulled up about this - it made me feel most uncomfortable! The lady cooking the eggs in the morning looked very unhappy and never smiled and made us feel welcome, she was late for work one morning and we had to queue up 20 mins until she arrived - it was terrible! We went to the restaurant by the beach which was part of the hotel and had a wonderful meal the first day - we went back the following day and waited an hour after ordering our food - it turns out they'd forgotten our order!!!!!!!!! We walked out as we were sick and tired of waiting and felt like we'd been ignored after everyone else had came in later and had already had their food.

The beach of the hotel was nice but full of litter. The lifeguard was very friendly and always willing to go the extra mile for us.

The entertainment was limited, the animation man was very friendly however I found myself back at my room at 9pm watching BBC World News. Outside of the hotel, you are a good few miles from Mahdia so you are kind of stuck in the hotel all week which can get boring!

In summary, I would never in a million years return to this hotel ever again, it needs a full refurbishment and whilst a few staff (the good ones) are very professional like the pool guys, the lady Afef on Reception, the waiters really need pulling into line, they could all do with a bar of soap and a hosepipe and then they need a course in professional etiquette. This is more like a 3* hotel and the hotel needs to address this immediately!!!!

Room Tip: The rooms overlooking the gold course on the -1 floor are good - the corridors are the best on this...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Wardy10
Reviewed 3 September 2013

We`ve been there 3 times, last one was different from last two. When hotel included All Inclusive - it get worst, Waiters all the time want to cheat you - when you choose HB they for example selling you Cetradine in exchange of Thibarine - (Cetradine is for free in All Incl version,) Thibarine costs some Dinars :) .
But the hotel is still nice, without -2 level which is TRAGIC, smell is intorelable,
Pool and the ambient is ok, beach is great.
Very nice people taking care of the room - especially 2nd floor rooms 454-482 - well done. They are very kind and now how to make you fell happy with the clean and fresh rooms :) .
Animation program could be better - especially by the evening ......

Room Tip: not in a -2 level ..... it is a punishment when you have to spend vacation on that level
2  Thank Artur W