Mahdia Palace Thalasso
US$51
US$119
US$116
  • Breakfast included
El Borj Hotel(Mahdia)(Great Value!)
US$30
Hotels.com
  • Beachfront
US$48
  • Breakfast included
Topkapi Beach Mahdia(Mahdia)(Great Value!)
US$45
US$54
Orbitz.com
TripAdvisor
1,027 results
All reviewsanimation teamnice hotelenjoyment teammichel jacksonsuper hotelnice animationbig swimming poolsuper animationgreat holidaystayed daysnice seaaqua gymchoose this hotelvisit tunisiawhite sandnice roombig thanks
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Beginning with my arrival at the Enfidha International Airport had a great time, very professional authorities who didn’t freak out when I presented my US pass and were very amiable. The airport itself is new, modern and well keep. Very easy to oversee and find your way around for newcomers. The transfer to the airport was well organized in a clean, air-conditioned bus. The entire way to destination I noticed a solid police presence, well armed and kept, ensuring a proper traffic control and tourists security.
Upon arrival at the hotel we were welcomed by the receptionists, all very helpful and friendly during my entire stay, who ordered for us a welcoming refreshment. The baggage was properly delivered to the room where I was pleasantly surprised by the cleanliness of my room. Basically the entire hotel and compound were very clean during my visit. I was able to change immediately euros at the reception. The teller-machine belonging to Banque de Tunisie located in the hotel’s hallway was of no use to most of us witnessing a few other visitors having problems withdrawing money from there. The reception saved the situation again directing me across the street to BIAT bank where I was able to withdraw money with no restrictions.
The positive experiences continued with a clean and professionally lead restaurant where the entire personnel were very friendly and polite, always in move, preparing the tables for the next customers… The food variety is impressive, abundant, very well prepared and clean. The restaurant manger is not shay to make adjustments and serve himself the customers, always with a friendly smile on his face. This was happening twice a day (was half-board) and never regretted my decision. Impressive service and quality, highly recommendable to 5* hotels in Spain…
The pool and adjacent area is very clean with two lifeguards permanently on duty, towel issue point permanently manned by two very supportive gentleman. Sun-lounger reservations are not permitted and their number suffices for all hotel guests even if the beach is unattended…
The beach, pure and simple exceptional. About 40 meters deep, a few kilometers long, clean, well kept and maintained by maintenance workers, raked at least once a day. The beach can accommodate easily 360 guests. The beach is endowed with approximately 180 straw sunshades, sun-loungers with matrasses, plenty of ceramic garbage disposal urns, permanently four to five lifeguards and at least eight security guards, very watchful and professional, who are denying access to any vendors or intruders. They are patrolling the entire day and are actively monitoring guests wellbeing and their propriety integrity. Beverage and food orders are covered by the pool restaurant. Prices are affordable, a pizza Margarita starts at € 4,5… I witnessed lifeguards and security policing immediately plastic garbage washed out by the see. Other than that the water is very clean, getting gradually deeper, reaching 1,8 meters after approximately 50 meters. At the end of the northern side of the hotel’s beach there is a beach volleyball ground with organized activity between 16 and 17 hours. The animation and security employees are over-watching all sportive activities maintaining the general sense of safety and security. Sudden changes in water condition are monitored by lifeguards informing the guests about any safety issues. Overall excellent conditions.
During the day there is a permanent animation program, very entertaining for all age groups, various and tailored for different fitness levels. The nightlife is governed by the same animation team, includes dance, animation, karaoke, competition, discotheque, etc. The music is well chosen and entertaining.
Additionally Tunisian folk music shows are performed every night, outdoors, in-between the pool area and beach access gate. Hotel guests are serving here a traditional tee, coffee or are smoking shisha.
Tips are welcome as every country in development where most of the income is acquired during the pic months. I would recommend around one-two dinars per service, concierge two, room keeping one-two per day, waiters, one-two, towels same, reception 10 to 20…
My personal hotel assessment, very good, five stars at European standard, which I highly recommend to Germans, British, French, Italian and US visitors. Great prices for excellent services. As a final plus note for the hotel, the general manager is present everywhere, closely monitoring developments and promoting an excellent customer care in a very discrete manner with very positive effects.
For transportation to Mahdia one can use taxi, the prices varying from three to five dinars. I never paid more than four for one way and I always asked before getting into one.
The hotel itself has two vendors’ shops for immediate or late purchases where the prices are considerably higher than at other shops located off compound, across the street. There are two shops located to the left as one exits the hotel’s front gate, which I would highly recommend due to personnel friendliness and approachability. On the contrary, I do not recommend The Jasmin shopping center where the ladies working there are having a good time in letting free their personal frustrations on foreign customers. Although all spoke French and some of them English and German, sales woman were more concerned in projecting some personal importance rather than interested in customer support. The uncomfortable feeling you get when you have to be grateful for being served and when someone is not making fun of you in Arabic… Definitely not tourist friendly. Knowing several languages helps sometimes…
The only liability in the hotel area are the extern outdoor activities providers located off hotel compound, who are interested more in financial gain and personal ego contests then customer safety… These services include paragliding, jet-ski, quad and horse riding. An acquaintance of mine, two ladies and one Italian gentleman, a few Russian tourists and I had unpleasant experiences. In my and my acquaintance’s case the outdoor activities providers were more concerned of emphasizing their masculinity rather than ensuring that we are seated correctly after parachute lift up… Therefore, both of us had to sustain ourselves with our arms until landing for over five minutes. For someone who would panic could end with a free fall from over 50 meters after flipping forward in the cords. The Italian gentleman wasn’t briefed about safety procedures and had to be transported to the hospital after flipping over with the jet-ski. The two ladies, one German one French were harassed by the company employees making direct proposals… Russian tourists almost refused to get back on the “flying dragon” after were catapulted 20 meters in the water. Overall very arrogant, unprofessional and inappropriate attitudes for this kind of business.

Room Tip: Highly recommend this hotel. Give proper tips, be courteous and you will get the same response. Hotel personnel is very professional and friendly. You are safe on the hotel compound, Mahdia is a small city with friendly inhabitants however never forget, it is your personal time not the time of the vendors in the old city center. Some are pretty daring and are ready to set your priorities. Be the also daring and say a categorical no to invitation you don’t want to follow. Politeness is often taken as weakness.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Adrians_Quests
Reviewed 20 May 2014

From 4 to 11 May 2014 we decided to go on holiday in Tunisia. Chose this hotel "Mahdia Palace Thalasso" on the recommendations of our friends and do not regret it. All our expectations were met.
This is a wonderful place to stay. The hotel is very beautiful, clean, spacious, comfortable and most importantly safe. Delicious and varied food, helpful staff and perfect location on the beach. The hotel grounds are green and well appointed. Large pool with fountains that evening illuminated in different colors. This is a fairy tale!!!
According to truly relax and forget about all the problems, but also to improve your health will help Thalasso centre, which is located directly at the hotel. Recommend to everyone. This is paradise!!!
Animation hotel was struck by its attentive, caring, unobtrusive. I especially want to note animator Abdou, a man who knows his business well, smart, fun, sporty, give positive emotions and will not be bored during your entire stay.
I want to thank all the staff for their hospitality and diligence in work.
Place in which you want to return again and again.
Would advise all friends .
Thank you for an enjoyable stay !!!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
11  Thank Iriska_v2014
Reviewed 12 April 2014

I have stayed at another excellent hotel in Mahdia, so was a little apprehensive about deciding to change venue. I shouldn't have worried.
Visually, a beautiful hotel with a traditional Tunisian foyer with a wide marble staircases sweeping down to the lower floors - traditional Arab carved balustrades and mazzanine - awesome! Very friendly and welcoming staff greeted us on arrival at reception with a fresh fruit drink. On reception level there was a large lounge with huge comfy settees and chairs. Several bars and a Night Club. Also on that lever, the entrance to the Thalasso.
A large shop selling a wide range of items was located on the second floor . On the bottom floor were several games rooms, TV lounge and a library. (What a pity the guests who 'borrowed' the books failed to return them!) and the entrance to the indoor pool. There was also a small lounge serving the traditional mint teas etc.
We used 2 dining rooms during our stay - both excellent not crowded. The food was a major problem for me, as it was simply excellent with a buffet offering a good range of salads and horse- d'oeuvre, and continental breads, salamis, cheeses etc, 2 very popular soups a superb choices of both Tunisian Cuisine and European style food.with a range of freshly grilled foods and my downfall, a beautiful and extensive range of mouthwatering desserts. Always fresh fruits and usually a range of ice cream - and after the first 2 weeks, I had to limit my visits to the evening meal as i found it very difficult to resist the temptations offered by the brilliant chef and his team. Also, very quick and professional service from the waiters and maítre d's.
Our room was well proportioned with separate bathroom and toilet/bidet and situated to include a sea and pool view from the large balcony. Flat screen TV, mini fridge and coffee table and chairs. The Housekeeping service was more than excellent with tireless friendly service from the housekeeper and her team. Such hardworking personnel!
A sculptured outdoor pool with fountains and a small toddler's pool - and a pool bar with waiter service for those sunbathing around the pools and gardens. Beach towels were available for a small refundable deposit. One step out of the well maintained garden and you are literally on the best beach in Tunisia.
Any problems during our stay? It would be impossible to find the smallest thing to complain about and we have every intention of returning in November for another elongated stay.
We would both like to thank all the staff involved with our stay!!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
7  Thank jennyfrank
Reviewed 24 January 2014

Hi,
we stayed in this hotel between 30 june - 09 august 2013. We was 8 person, splitted into two families. I booked All Inclusive, because it is more better for my family. I chose this location because a few friends told me it is ok, nice and super Beach, and it is something different from Monastir, I refer here to the beach. And in this regard I have not cheated at all.
Are generally satisfied with this holiday and will recommend this hotel to anyone known for the same things that I've been attracted to him: the locvation andthe Beach.
But, to be short, I emphasize fast and elegant what was good, and what is not.

HOTEL: very nice and elegant, huge, coolest than outside(verily), clean.

GARDEN: tended garden, gree and not dry like other gardens in other hotels in the area. very very nice

BEACH: very fine sand , almost white, with many beautiful shells, the water is warm and crystal clear blue. I have not seen aquatic fauna, a few (2-3) small white fishes. No dolphins, no jellyfish, good. Underwater see nothing, just sand.
Overall, the location is excellent.

MAIN RESTAURANT: clean, but need some ”update”.You will not always find clean plates or glasses or soup bowls, forks, spoons, etc.
The food, the vegetables, the fruits, the cakes, cookies, the salads, the bread, soft drinks or alcoholic Beverages, wine, beer or anything else: IS VERY VERY GOOD quality and in enough quantity. Always will fiind something good to eat, even are you a vegetarian, or a carnivore.

AMERICAN BAR: Good, nice...so ”amerkan”. Is the only place from where you can get bottled water to the Beach or in hotel room for free, if you have AI, if not you will pay ~3 USD for 900 ml.

The ”ON THE BEACH RESTAURANT” actually is not on the Beach - clean, but you will not enjoy anything here, in a Word: horror. The snacks, inexistent or a few pizza slice (two fingers) disgusting, no taste. You have, hovewer, cookies. The soft drinks with taste of drugs., The alcoholic drinks were the worst kind, inacceptable, whisky - paracetamol taste, buhka - horrible, gin, i shall be sick. the beer was acceptable, the only one what you can drink!
Coffee sucked, I never drink coffee sucks so alive.
Not gave coffee spoons. If however you receive one, the waiter told me to lick the spoon and blend afterwards in the other cups. I felt humiliated. I never expected such a humiliating response, not in a 5* (???) hotel, not even in a pub.
My brother in law is German, and he received the same treatment
If you want something bottled drinks (soft drinks, fanta, Boga, Coke) pay for it: ~3 USDs, for a bottled beer (0.33 ml) ~5 USDs even if you have All Inclusive.

ROOM CLEANING: good job
SLEEP QUALITY: very good
WAITERS: were deplorable, ALL (they are ALL, 7* ha-ha)

Inacceptable:
At dinner in the main restaurant, I saw a disgusting thing, waiters after emptying the table, and there remained half water bottles, they emptied the contents into another bottle by making one full. If you asked for a bottle of plain water, then they get one with the label changed and of course other 2-3 bottles filled, no matter what type of water was (gas or simple).

In the same restaurant, i was investigated by waiters if i have or not the All Inclusive ticket. I had to climb into the room and get my ticket to me, because I was refused to be served. Sucks, does not happen when I just arrived at the hotel, but after a few good days

ANIMATION: ?????
Where was the animation team, very very weak. Zero absolut!

What would change in this hotel?
Staff, waiters, receptionists, otherwise leave `it goes so.

And finally a few recomandations:
- put a little soft drinks machine on the Beach, please. The only one bar from outside of American bar is the Beach bar, and ...it is not actually on the Beach
- increase the quality of alcoholic beverages, soft drinks. Even in the cheapest, stinking and ordinary pub serving drinks in the world so bad

Thats it!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank Richard B
Reviewed 31 December 2013

I had to leave my wife and my kids in the car at the parking lot and i had to walk about 300 m to the reception because the ignorence of the door man.Very raciste service at the hotel restaurant.The waiter does not even looking at you if you are a tunisian perhaps he applies 5 star services to the foreigners.He does not even poor coffee to you or pick up empty plates or glases from your table.It was the first time in my life that I could not wait to check out from a 5 stars hotel and to get the hell out.What a desepointment in my own town .I shorted my stay from 5 nights to one.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family