“could do so much better!!”

Miramar Petit Palais
Ranked #21 of 47 Hotels in Midoun
Reviewed 31 July 2014

On arrival to Djerba airport it looked lovely, very nice and clean however the bus journey to the hotel opened our eyes! there was rubbish everywhere and I mean everywhere! bags of rubbish and plastic bottles lying around with no bins insight. On arrival into the hotel we were told to put our bags to the side and to take a seat then people, don't know who they were, came and put a band on us all, felt like I was in a cattle auction! we were then taken to our room which was a fair distance away from everything. the room was hot and dark and the bathroom was dirty and smelly. the room had a set of stairs which lead up to a separate bedroom, the stairs were very unsafe and my 5 year old could not manage them very well. I had images of him falling down the gaps between them on to the hard tiled floor. we returned to the reception to ask if we could change rooms we were told that they were the only family rooms and the families were put into a separate part of the hotel. I stated that I was not happy with the stairs and that we would have any other room without stairs. he then said that he could give us a room but it was not a family room. he showed us the room and he said he could put an extra bed in for us we said this was fine, we had to write a letter stating this was our choice to change rooms. I have to say the beds were big and the room was much nicer and cleaner, however there were a few issues with the room such as the shower head holder did not stay up so we had to hold the shower head when we showered, the plug in the sink was stuck down so we could not use the sink and the telephone, which looked like a phone from the arc was broken it did not work possible due to the wires hanging out the back of it. all issues were reported but were not seen to during our stay. The food was not really catered towards British people in fact the hotel on a whole did not cater for British people! the food was cold and repetitive and the all inclusive drinks you would not give to your worse enemy! the buffet outside was shared with the flies so not very appetising! however we tried our best with food until I had vomiting and diarrhoea on the Monday night and ended up in bed ill all day on Tuesday and Tuesday night. then my husband and daughter had diarrhoea on the Wednesday. We needed to get to a chemist sharp so we waited for the Thomas cook rep who was meant to be in hotel at 9 but did not appear until 9.50! we advised him of our illnesses and he promptly told us they did not have chemist it was a pharmacy!! he then told us that it was a 20 min taxi drive away which neither me or my husband could make! he shrugged his shoulders and told us he could not do anything for us! fortutatly a kind couple offered to go for us and turns out it was only 5 mins in the taxi! thomas cook rep did not have local knowledge like he is meant to have! anyway the rest of the week was lying by the pool catching some sun and being in the pool which was very very slippy around the edge! the entertainment team did their best with the small entertaining space they had but no songs in the mini disco were in English and to be honest the entertainment was very strange!(want to say thankyou to Sonia who made my sons holiday, she was great and very hard working). did not feel safe going out of the hotel and to be honest when we did go out of the front there was nothing only a very bad smell bad the reports we had from other guess about the local beach being just as dirty with raw sewage pipes, camel and horse poo everywhere we did not fancy that! I know the hotel is 3 star but we work and save hard all year to get away on holidays but we were all very disappointed in this one!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank clare t

Reviewed 29 July 2014

Just returned after spending a week at this hotel with my husband, on arrival we all had to wait half an hour for our rooms to be finished, was given what supposed to be a cocktail disgusting, was shown to our room the door opened the smell of cigarette smoke hit us straight away must have been a chain smoker stay there we complained and was given another room. The meals were ok nothing to exciting,the drinks from the outside bar were discusting ok if you like warm flat pop and the lager was the same, there was a bar inside but you had to pay for all the drinks now to me that's not all inclusive, the pool had no filtration system the water was murky with hairs floating sand in the bottom and sunscream floating on top of the water,the beach wasn't that much better either.the photos of the hotel look much better than the place itself once you see it ,we don't think it's worth the money and would not be going back .

2  Thank lynne h
Reviewed 29 July 2014

I'm going to make this a brief and short review...... Room cleaned every day, food and staff in restaurant very nice and friendly. The omelette man at breakfast was an older man and lovely, made super omelettes! So can't fault the food. Also room cleaned every day, maids happy and friendly. Entertainment was aimed at French people, they did try in the evenings but to say I'm a little fed up with the Macarena! Not sure about daytime entertainment as didn't stay round the pool and went to the "private" beach.....not what we expected, you had to pay 6 dinars for sunbeds and parasol- only a few quid but we were told it was with hotel, also water in the beach bar and food you had to pay for. It was only our last few days when the beach man started to rake the sand and put ashtrays by the beds,probably because they had a few moans. Lots of rubbish on side of roads on way down but the dustmen were on strike, ignored it after few days.Bar staff in all inclusive bar were very friendly but got some stick from a few holiday makers on occasions. Lack of seats by the bar but manager got some more after a few words, English weren't made to feel very welcome at times, big signs saying "please close the doors" appeared nearing our second week, I approached the reception staff and said I felt a bit offended as they singled out the English people, they said it was an international language and basically laughed at me and my husband. Other than a few minor points which would have made it better,we met some great people, had a lovely relaxing time and lovely hot weather. They are obviously not used to british people in djerba and we were the Guinea pigs,so may go back in a few years!

Room Tip: Our room was on 1st flor over looking road and we had no complaints
2  Thank Queenie197435
Moez_Borgi, Sales Manager Assistant at Miramar Petit Palais, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

Dear Guest;

thank you very much sharing your detailed feedback after your stay with us at the
Hotel Le Petit Palais. We are really pleased learning we could exceed your expectations during your holiday - your kind comments are highly appreciated and will be shared with our team.

We will be more than happy welcoming you back to your next holiday.

Best regards;

Reviewed 26 July 2014

Where do I start? With the positives I suppose. Will skip the pointless 6 hour delay on the flight.
Our room was spotless when we arrived and was cleaned every day to a very good standard. Food was very good, a bit repetitive but didn't have a problem with it. Restaurant staff polite, attentive and seemed to know what they were doing. The 2 guys at the all inclusive bar were brilliant, polite, wanted to help and were really the main reason for our holiday being more enjoyable than it could have been-That's the positives over!
This is not an all inclusive holiday, if Thomas Cook say it is, they are sadly, deluded. We have never been on an all inclusive holiday before, so only had friends descriptions of what we should expect, this definitely didn't match those expectations. This was a new hotel to Thomas Cook so we were the guinea pigs(thanks Thomas Cook, what a pointless experience this was) Rep (Ben)gave us so much inaccurate information that we had to check it all ourselves(meal times wrong), general information pretty crap. Told us that the beach was private( complete crap, anyone could use it, and did) We were also told that we could get free water at the beach(this was also wrong, water had to be paid for) So called "private beach" pretty awful, the guy who took our money each day seemed to do nothing apart from that, and sleep. The mattresses for the sunbeds had obviously seen better days(thin, frayed and at risk of falling apart). We make a point of collecting our rubbish, cigarette ends at the end of the day, other people don't. This, so called "private beach", is littered with the same crap as the previous day, there is no effort to clean it. Back to the hotel- The first week we were there was very busy, After having dinner we struggled to find somewhere to sit to have drinks. On the Wednesday after we arrived, it became apparent that no-one really cared. I asked to see the manager(what a waste of space this man was) I asked him how many guests were in the hotel at the time, the answer was approximately 300, I then asked how many chairs they had, this solicited a response of "I don't know" I advised( I'm not sure if this was probably a good idea)that they needed an adequate amount of chairs to ensure that their guests are comfortable, but this was pretty much a waste of time, we still had to pull sunbeds up from the pool area to sit on. There are so many negatives about this hotel that I could probably write a book but I will try to keep the rest of it short. Entertainment brilliant, if you are French(no effort to include the English people) You should definitely learn the words to Macarena and Casper Slide(they play this every night). A special mention should go to Sonia(not sure if this spelt correct) This woman is the most miserable, rude individual it has ever been my misfortune to meet. Any kind of criticism(completely justified) is met with a look of disdain and a view that you are a kind of second class person for voicing your opinion. I could go on for a lot longer but I am happy with the fact that I am now home and will never have to visit this hotel again. As an aside to this, We met some really nice people during our holiday(now friends on Facebook) and would love to see them all again, but in a different hotel.

Room Tip: My only tip is, if you can go somewhere else, do so!
4  Thank Leon H

Dear Guest;

Thank you very much sharing your detailed feedback after your stay with us at the

We will be more than happy welcoming you back to your next holiday.

Best regards;

Reviewed 22 July 2014

I stayed in petit palais for a week with 2 of my friends, all 3 of us had a lovely time,this review however is only my opinion of the holiday as I spent most of it with other guest who were also staying in the hotel.
As soon as we arrived at the hotel we were greeted by friend staff who directed us into the restaurant where we were able to get some food and a drink before getting our room key. We were given out all inclusive wrist bands then were able to receive our room keys. We were shown to our room by a member of staff who helped carry our suitcases up the stairs.
Throughout our stay we didn't have any problems with our rooms, it was a lovely room which was cleaned on a daily basis. The room was provided with clean towels every day. The room also had very useful and powerful air con which was not always needed as it made out room cool enough for us, this was great as most hotels I have previously stayed in haven't had working air con!
The staff in the hotel were all lovely and friendly throughout our stay especially the hotel manager and the animation team! They all made sure we were having a lovely holiday! The entertainment which was provided by the animation team was amazing! They staff team tried to get everyone involved with the activities that took place during the day such as water polo, aqua gymnastics, and learning Arabic. The night entertainment was also great, for both children and adults. Each night had a different theme, and different entertainment each night, this would start with a mini disco for the children followed by the main entertainment.
Next to the hotel was a shop which sold pretty much everything you needed and was fairly cheap!
I would like to say a big thank you to Badis and Sonia for helping me and taking care of me when I got really badly sunburnt and sun stroke while being out there, so thank you both, love you!
I would definitely recommend this hotel if you are looking for a nice chilled out holiday. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank AVBakerrrr
Moez_Borgi, Sales Manager Assistant at Miramar Petit Palais, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your time in sharing such a positive review of your holiday with us in Petit Palais on TripAdvisor. we are very pleased to read how much you enjoyed your stay and that you were impressed by the quality of our hotel and the service that was provided.
Your kind compliments referring to our team are highly appreciated .we feel truly awarded. Thank you.
we are delighted to know that you would like to stay with us again in the future. We certainly look forward to welcoming you on your return.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 15 July 2014

Overall my stay at Petit Palais was good! To be honest their was a couple downfalls that made me wish the days would go faster so I could just go home! I stayed at Petit Palais from the 27th june - 4th July I don't know if we chose the wrong time to go, but their was a lot of couples and families with children so it seemed to me more of a family and couples resort. In all fairness, if you just want to chill out for a week I would recommend you going there! However, chilling for a week could get a bit boring. I recommend you take part in the trips organised by the agency yo flew with for example I flew with Thomas Cook and I went on a boat trip to a private beach one day and it was really fun and only 60 TND it was worth every penny and the animation team on the boat was very entertaining! On the private beach you can ride quads, horses and camels for all very reasonable prices ranging from 10-20 TND.

The beach that is a 2-5 minute walk away from Petit Palais is quite nice when walking to the beach it smells horrid but when you are there it does not. Be careful where you step as there is camel and horse dropping on the sand. The beach is nice as it is just a change of scenery rather than being on the resort all the time. At the beach you can ride camels and horses you can also take part in many water sport activities such as paragliding, jet-skiing, wind surfing and banana boats! The prices all vary but nine times out of ten you can bargain with them and get come to a reasonable price! To ride camels and horses at first they will try and give you a high price just to get more money off you but I only paid 10 TND for a camel ride when I went on the boat trip so I roughly knew how much they charge. When you ask how much at first they will tell you something like 20-30 TND for one person so its good to try and bargain with them hey its worth a try you got nothing to loose!

Every morning after breakfast the animation team would play some type of game in the water such as volleyball or water polo and sometimes water aerobics. The games normally last a good 1hr30 - 2hrs up to lunch time.
Every night the animation team on the resort would put together a dance, comedy sketch or some other type of entertainment so there is always something to do at night. If you are planning on bringing children along it is a good idea because at 20:30pm they have a mini disco for all the kids so they can have a bit of fun as well then after that the main disco and other entertainment starts.

I had an all inclusive package. I must say this all inclusive was very different to any other all inclusive hotel that I've been too. Breakfast was served up until 10am then lunch was served at 12:30pm - 2pm then dinner was at 7-9pm. As far as I know all inclusive means you can get food whenever you want and that was not the case here. All drinks were bottomless and you could go to the outdoor bar as much as you wanted you could get alcohol but the only alcohol that was all inclusive was their local drinks but if you wanted proper drinks such as coca cola, fanta, absolut vodka etc you would have to pay for it in the indoor bar. There was a shop literally right outside the hotel where you could drink (coke, fanta, pepsi) , sweets (haribos, chuppachups), chocolates(m&ms, kinda buenos, snickers), crisps (pringles) and souvenirs all reasonably priced. There is a couple more mini supermarkets when you come out of the hotel if you turn right and follow the road right up you will see them all they also have snacks, souvenirs, bags, purses etc. All food served in hotel is very basic and not very appetising if I do say so myself but apparently Petit Palais hotel has the best food out of all the hotels in Djerba. I just stacked up on the croissants at breakfast and chips at lunch other than that everything else was not to my taste. With all due respect it was ramadan when we went so they could not taste the food they were cooking so maybe that explained why the food was very bland and flavourless.

On my last night at Petit palais the water tan out there was literally no water to do anything such as wash your hands, flush the toilet or have a shower ... the pool showers wasn't working fresh water wasnt even flowing throug the pool. Was told that it would be fixed then that same night but the next morning there was still none! Apparently the whole of Sjerba was out of water but that was a lie because someone that works in the hotel said that they never had water in the night but in the morning there water came back. Also when I was at the airport I asked around asking whether others staying in Djerba had the water problem and they said no. I mean there was no need to lie the hotel could have been more professional and just said basically we haven't paid the water bill! (Lol) With all due respect by 12:00pm the next morning the water was back on it was just a bit annoying as it then delayed everything considering as it was my last day they wanted everyone to be checked out the room by 12:00pm bearing in mind that is when the water came back on and the maids had no consideration they still knocked on our door saying we basically had to get out! So had to quickly rush and shower make sure everything was packed then brought all luggage downstairs. When I got downstairs the reception staff then said they would let us back in to another room at around 5pm to shower etc! I was very annoyed as I was not told that and I rushed around trying to shower and everything before the maid came back to rush us out a second time to find out they would let us shower in another room later on in the evening before our late flight.

I LOVED THE ANIMATION TEAM!! Especially Badis & Mari !!
The restaurant staff were very welcoming and friendly at times a bit too friendly to the point where I felt very uncomfortable.
The reception staff was very kind and helpful.. the hotel staff were very nice especially the lady in the salon ... such a lovely woman!!

Don't feel too at home always ensure to lock valuables after in the safety deposit box in the reception and lock suitcase if you have anything in there that you would not want to loose!

FYI... the spa is not included in the all inclusive package however when you go in the spa there is an indoor pool and you can use that for free but other than that you have to pay for any treatment you want in the spa. The spa is what I was looking forward to the most to find out I had to pay for it I was gutted because the way it was stated seemed as if it was included. I did have a spa treatment which cost 50TND it was lovely very relaxing!

When going Petit Palais you can't expect a lot as it is only 3 star and a rather cheap holiday so you get your moneys worth I guess.

Room Tip: Not all rooms have ants so if you room does then move! Both rooms I was in had ants but the room ups...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Shae01
Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

Holidayed at this hotel with my boyfriend for two weeks and can't say it was great.

I better start with the good points, as there aren't many! The animation team are very friendly! Also, the manager is always around asking how your holiday is and telling you that if you have any problems to talk to him. This was nice as usually the manager is not around very often! Our room was also lovely, the bed was massive but the shower did fall off of the wall.

Now, where to start with the bad points! We had many issues in the first week with one particular waiter at the all inclusive bar. He was rude and stroppy when we went to the bar for more than 2 drinks (there were 10 of us in total so had large orders). We complained to the manager after him slamming a full glass down onto our table. The manager had words with him and he wasn't as bad the rest of the holiday but he was still not pleasant.
The hotel is not set out correctly either. The fact that there is an all inclusive bar and one that you have to pay for was very confusing on arrival. The all inclusive bar was outside, completely out of the way of where the entertainment was held.
Do not trust the maids, on our 3rd/4th day one English woman had her watch stolen by her maid. Safe to say that we did not have our room cleaned after that day. Even though we had the "do not disturb" sign on the rest of the holiday, the maid took it off one day and cleaned our room which we were not happy about at all.
On arrival, most nationalities were greater with cocktails but none of the English people we had spoken to received one. English guests are treated completely differently to other nationalities and it's very obvious! The hotel is mostly occupied by the French and they were very rude. Also, when we arrived we had our bags taken off us by strangers (later found out that they were the animation team but they did not introduce themselves) and we were ushered into the dining room to eat something which looked like it had been out for hours.
Probably the worst part of the holiday was the fact that we did not have any water from taps for 24 hours! This meant no showering, no flushing the toilet and no washing hands. We were not well informed at all. We were told that it would turn back on in an hour but it did not return until midday the following day.
In our second week the hotel was full. That was not nice. There were far too many rooms for the space they had at the hotel! The entertainment was held in an extremely small space with a lack of seating. There were only enough sunbeds around the pool for, at most, 3/4 of the guests.
The edges of the pool were extremely slippy, it is not designed well at all! Towards the end of our first week a man had injured his foot by the baby pool, on the day we left the bloody was still on the floor, it had not been cleaned and it was very off putting.
The beach was supposed to be all inclusive yet you had to pay for the sunbeds, food and drink. The walk down to the beach was also horrendous, there was rubbish everywhere (as we later found out that the binmen had been on strike for a few weeks) and it smelt awful.
On to the food, it was bad. A lot of reviews say that the food was really good but it was awful. There was no normal salad, turkey (in 2 varieties) every single night, most nights the meat was raw. There was no variety, it was the same for breakfast every morning and there was no toaster which was a surprise.

I am fully aware it was only a 3* hotel but after reading the reviews I was expecting a high standard. On return it seems as if we did not stay at the same hotel.
I would not recommend any English people to stay at this hotel! My experience has put me and my boyfriend ever returning to Tunisia.

Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank chloewright95
Also consider these accommodations in or near Midoun
Les jardins de Toumana
0 mi away
Al Baraka Hotel
Al Baraka Hotel
#9 of 10 in Houmt Souk

Been to Miramar Petit Palais? Share your experiences!