“Rivven Meadows London”

El Mouradi Djerba Menzel
Ranked #16 of 46 Hotels in Midoun
Reviewed 4 August 2014

El Mouradi is the best hotel I have ever visited. It is the only hotel I have visited in Djerba but would never go to another. It is the best experience I have had and I absolutely love the place. I went last year and as I arrived this year waiters remembered me and had the biggest smile on their face as they love the English. Some reviews explain how the staff are rude but I can only assume this is in retaliation as every staff always says how much they love the English. The animation team really made my holiday much more enjoyable as they always know how to make your days better. Especially Zied, Slim, Hassen, Momo and Lepo. I visited during Ramadan so expected most people working in the hotel to be worn out, although none of them seemed to show it and still made my holiday excellent. I cry to think I'm home and really miss the hotel only being home for 2 days! I would definitely visit again and had such a great time.

Room Tip: Menzels are great but a long walk from reception. I would stay in a room inside the hotel.
4  Thank rivvenmeadows

Reviewed 4 August 2014

this was my second trip to the resort in the last two years and our decision to go again was influenced by our excellent first visit. However there were good points and bad points this year and the standards have definitely slipped. On the plus sides first the weather was fantastic and the complex is large and family orientated. Our room was in the main building and is excellent and very spacious. I got the impression that the older appartments and mensels were not quite as good but adequate. The staff are brilliant and work really hard and the entertainment team are great and put on good night shows.The beer and wine are also very good. Now for the downsides. Because it was in peak time this year a half past five get up was necessary for sunbeds. The food was ok and certainly edible but was the same for lunch and dinner and we soon got fed up of seeing the same stuff. On the last night they actually put chips on and it felt like a rugby maul. The pool was also not great this year and had black mouldy bits floating in it. The surrounding areas were also dirty and it just felt that a good morning clean would have sufficed. I think the problem was that it was understaffed for the quantity of guests. To sum up it is a 3 star hotel advertising as a 4 star. I certainly would not put people going because it is great in so many ways but just be aware of the downsides. I also felt that towards the end of our stay that the complex were upping their game so go and enjoy and make the most of it

Room Tip: ask for the main part of the building.
2  Thank tony s
Reviewed 4 August 2014

This was our 2nd visit to this hotel since 2011.How things have changed.Thier are some good points but basics are sadly missing. On arrival 6 hours late.as normal given something to eat.Then given our room which had not been made from previous holiday maker,dirty pants on floor old bathroom soap etc left behind.Staff did change room but after some arguing ..

Informed Thomas cook rep Jemil who stated he would get us upgrade room next day. Given room on 3rd floor and guess what,, another unmade room really bad..Hotel main building really nice as well as drinking areas outside.
Staff are not rude who serve drinks in this area just rushed off their feet as not enough of them.

Weather is great and location but pool area tiles have not been cleaned in years dirty floors. Early morning ( 6,20hrs ) floating scum on water..Always washed down in 2011..yes their are broken tiles but nothing to dangerous.
There are 4 pools but all get very crowded but agin the hotel needs to stop people placing towels on sun beds early hours for them not to use them until midday.

There is one bar to each pool so easy to get a drink but only served in very small plastic cups..

Not enough sun beds unless you want to get up at 5am honest.some people lying on hard floor around pool.
The beach area are very good and clean but it is normal for this area to suffer from seaweed on the beach so the hotel has to get a jcb to clean it up so depends when you arrive you might see a lovely white beach, but by the end of the week th beach has gone under 3 feet of seaweed.

The bed on the left is a good beach ..on the left is a small shelve beach with about 6 sets of sun beds.. another small fresh water pool quiet area and bar and agin to the right are small coves with sun beds that no one knows about.

Now for the bad bit.. What the hell MAIN Buffett in the week we where their we could only get to eat 3 times because it is a cattle market No Plates No Clean Tables Pushing Shoving people out the way.. Very long sues..really unacceptable.. The staff do their best but not enough of them..The floor area is unhygienic food area.. We eat outside early morning main buffet area food still on floor from night before,, Broken glass just left by staff who know its there,, agin floor never washed down as they did in 2011.. if you got small children god help you.

In general im not a fussy traveller and we liked the hotel in 2011 but the basics of keeping everything clean around pools and buffet is unacceptable…Not enough is being done.. I 2011 we went in May I think the hotel has cut back on staff and the height of season the hotel cannot cope..How people can say this is an amazing hotel is beyond me,, don't get me wrong some areas are good but would i go back never never never.. If you pay more than £450pw then your being done..Im not saying don't go but don't expect 5 star..

People did seem to enjoy the animation tema who work all day long.. The bbq set menu at dinner the by the round pool id very good.. get Mohammed to be your waiter( only man to wear and orange top ) he is very very good, but beware of the obnoxious manager he will talk to you then walk away halve through..

Beware at dinner time in the buffet men will fight over plates…
Djerba airport will take an hour to get through 5 security points

Room Tip: Ask for room in main hotel room starting with 2 or 3 Take a drinks flask with you.bar staff happy t...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GMO1966
Reviewed 3 August 2014

I was dreading my trip to the el mouradi based on the negative reviews. The hotel is huge with rooms in the main hotel and menzel bungalows around the site, we stayed in the s block. Our room was clean and had a tv ( channel 31 is English films) a small fridge, hairdryer and free digital safe. The air conditioning worked well and kept the room at a lovely cool temperature. Tip the maids and they make swans from the towels and give you extra shampoos etc. Some places in the hotel are a bit dirty, but the staff try their best, especially when people drop litter and leave a mess about. Their is plenty of food. Eggs, cereals, pastries, yoghurt are just a few things you could choose for breakfast. You can have pizzas, pinninis or pancakes during the day if you don't mind queuing and some people are greedy and get more than they can eat then leave it. The pool near the kids club is the best and overlooks the sea. The others are salt water and not very clean. I always managed to get a Sun bed but did go down at 6.30, which was lovely and peaceful. I don't like staying in my room so that suited me fine. The day time entertainment is ok if you are willing to join in. They have archery, mini golf, pool games, boules. The evening is ok but mainly aimed at the French. Drinks are too small, I suggest you take a large plastic cup with you for use around the pool. You can get large bottles of free water after 8 There is a shop just outside the hotel which is reasonable. We did the boat trip, quad bikes and visited the crocodile park which is just up the road. I would not go back to this hotel but had a good holiday. A holiday is what you make it

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Where do we start – we have travelled all over the world in all inclusive hotels of varying standards but this is the first time we have ever had to complain or feel the need to write a report on Trip Advisor!! This hotel is vastly different to the one described in the Thomas Cook brochure and under no circumstances is it a 3*+. We were a party of 7 and had booked 3 rooms - but in the end we were shown 21 (twenty one) different rooms before we found 3 which appeared anywhere near suitable. As soon as we arrived we knew something was wrong - the rooms were not ready and we had to wait 2 hours in the clothes we travelled in before we were shown to our rooms. Nothing could prepare us for what we were about to see. We had booked 3 menzels (beach front bungalows) but the setting was more like a concentration camp - they were mouldy, smelly and run down with cracked tiles, broken electric sockets, dirty linen etc. need I go on. Each menzel was adjoining (which was fine for two of the rooms) but the third – we found to our horror was connected to a completely different party - an unsuspecting German family who we had never seen before!! The door between the two menzels had no way of locking giving access to our room/possessions/privacy – totally unacceptable!! During the evening meal in the restaurant, which was more like a prison canteen, a fight broke out between a holiday maker and a member of staff which probably gives you an idea of the clientelle. The bar staff, when you could actually get to the bar were rude and ignorant. They had a ‘policy’ of only serving 2 drinks at a time in white plastic party cups – which meant trying to order 7 drinks an absolute nightmare. The Thomas Cook rep, Jemal (a local Tunisian) was the most insincere and patronising person I have ever met - to his credit he defended the hotel to the hilt, but how he could sleep at night I am not sure. The brochure stated water sports were available on the beach, there was no beach it was a 12 foot stretch of sand full of camel poo and seaweed. The only water sports were about half a mile down the beach and nothing to do with the hotel. The beach towels (supposedly free as per the brochure) were only available after paying a deposit - this also applied to the remote control in the room (who on earth would want to steal a remote control for goodness sake)!!! The pool area was dirty and in places was dangerous with cracked tiles and patched up concrete. This was indicative of the rest of the complex - run down and filthy. The garden areas and pathways were unkempt and poorly lit. We complained to Jamel on the same evening we arrived and asked to be moved to another hotel. He asked us to return the following morning after the welcome meeting and he would ‘sort everything out’ – he didn’t – WE DID – despite him saying there wasn’t a hotel on the island that could accommodate us. Without going into too much detail we ended up on the phone back to Thomas Cook in the UK (at our own expense – not cheap!!!) and insisted they work with the local tour rep to move us to another hotel which matched the description in the brochure. Thankfully – with the help of one particular Thomas Cooke employee (Denver) – we managed to get moved. PLEASE BE WARNED!!!! We are not just trying to scare monger – do not spend your hard earned cash on this hotel and do not travel to anything less than 4* in Djerba and in particular the el Mouradi.

6  Thank jo t
Reviewed 3 August 2014

I have just seen two reviews (don't know if they are from the same person/party) with an 'excellent' rating and that has made me write on trip advisor for the first time. I do this to save you from visiting the worst hotel you could imagine. I have travelled for over 30 years and let me say I have stopped in good and bad, but nothing as disgusting as this place. Where to start ? We saw 21 rooms and everyone was infested with mould and everyone of them stank of damp. We were forced to spend our first night in one of the rooms and dirty water came up through the bath plug hole and sewage came up through the sink - fancy showering or brushing your teeth in that !! If you have children then you have problems there are light fitting and plug sockets hanging off in most of the rooms with bare wires showing. Now let's get onto the staff, they are the most ignorant bunch of people you could have the misfortune of meeting, everyone one of them especially the bar and canteen staff ( thee is no way it can be described as a restaurant) see the English as rubbish and treat you like this, thinking we will put up with it. The all inclusive is a total joke, they rarely have any drink other than lager or whisky, so if you like anything else you will be thirsty. You have to pay deposits for the towels and they have so little trust in the English that you even have to pay for the tv remote. There are no water sports at all as promised byThomas Cook and the beach is covered in camel excrement and if you manage to avoid that don't worry because you can't miss the enormous pile of rotting seaweed that stinks all day. The canteen serves what looks like tripe and if you don't get there early enough you won't get a place and the staff refuse to reset the tables. The most entertaining part of the first night was a mass fight at meal time which the staff just stood there laughing at ! For the first time ever we moved after a day and a half so we didn't have to put up with ignorant and disgusting staff and before we caught something from the rooms, food or sewage. If you go with Thomas Cook don't expect any assistance from the reps at the resort as they are as ignorant as the rest and will do everything they can to get lie and get rid of you.

Room Tip: Do not book to go to this hotel
4  Thank Joanne B
Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

I just spent 2 weeks at el mouradi and it was my 3rd trip.
This place is so amazing and all the staff go out of there way to help you. The animation team are fantastic especially Lipo mido imed and Miriam they made us feel like royalty and I truly have made life long friends. The bar staff and waiters are great tarek is a great waiter and it's wonderful at his job also manwan is a great amazing guy.
El mouradi really is a fantastic place to go and there is so much for you to do and you can never get bored. I would go back here all the time I love this place so much I would pack up and live there.
If you want a great value for money then I would highly recommended this resort as it's absolutely fantastic.
I have been back in England for 24 hours and I have already booked and paid to go back in September woohoooo can't wait.
Everyone must go at least once to el mouradi djerba menzel as it really is paradise and u will be made to feel so special from the time you arrive to the time you leave.

Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Shanelle C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Midoun
Vincci Helios Beach
SunConnect Djerba Aqua Resort
Hotel Palm Azur
Hotel Palm Azur
#22 of 104 in Djerba Island

Been to El Mouradi Djerba Menzel? Share your experiences!