“1st June - 8th June”

Ranked #3 of 44 Hotels in Monastir
St Austell, United Kingdom
“1st June - 8th June”
Reviewed 11 June 2014

I seriously cannot fault this hotel at all! I stayed here for a week with one of my friends and we loved every second of it. So clean, food was great (huge variety) staff are so friendly, hotel is a decent size, close to the beach where there are a variety of things that can be done. Would recommend this hotel to any family or couples who would want to visit Tunisia. I would love to come back to this hotel, weather was great and I believe this hotel should be a 4* at least!! The staff would always make sure you were okay and they would always chat to you. I am already looking at coming back next year it was really that amazing!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jade M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Salisbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 June 2014

We stayed at the tropicana from the 21st May till the 28th and we had a couple of days of unsettled weather which we were told is usual for their spring but after that the weather was fantastic. There were five in our party ranging from early 50s to 13 years old and we all thought that the place was fantastic. We were a little worried because it was a last-minute booking and as it was only a three star we were not expecting too much but what a lovely surprise . walking into the reception area which was spotlessly clean which was the same throughout the hotel. The staff were over and above helpful without being pushy, the food was fantastic something for everybody I couldn't fault it everybody in our party enjoyed it and look forward to mealtimes. My 13 year old son loved the animation team,from football to volleyball, Pool games,card games round the table and shows in the evening he had a fantastic time. There was never a problem with sunbeds there always seem to be plenty. you do need to take your own beach towels although the hotel do supply them for seven dina a week with a 20 dinar deposit which works out to about 3 pound a week which is good value. We loved this hotel and can't wait until we can return again next year.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Karen Z
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 June 2014

MY GOD...Where do I start?

I suppose my reviews title should be explained first!

I would never ever give my daughter permission to come here with her friends. Women were viewed as pieces of meat. One of the hosts whom my friend and I nicknamed "Sleazy McSleazerson" was hitting on all the young girls...It was shameless. Some were interested, some weren't, but in my mind he was extremely unprofessional.

The waiting staff in general are reluctant to do anything if they don't think there is any prospect of a few Dinars (local currency) in it for them, and again, the male members of staff (not all of them but the majority) were sleazy and just generally had an awful attitude toward women.

Moving away from this. The drinks were awful, horrible inconsistent beer on tap (only one choice of beer). Spirits of which looked like knock-offs, I didn't touch them for fear of going blind.

The only decent booze was in the late bar downstairs and you had to pay for these (handsomely too, dearer than UK prices). Even after a few "genuine" drinks in this late bar, they try to switch it with the cheap stuff they have, I approached them twice about this and both times the barman admitted what he had done.

Food was disgusting. Poorly labelled and poorly cooked. I gagged throughout most of my meals but knew I had to eat something, I ended up eating 1/2 a meal a day just to survive. In regard to the dessert selection, I have no qualms. Same can be said for the fruit selection also, the fruit selection really saved the days for me as it was something I could eat without fear of being ill.

Rooms were basic and fairly clean but I expected this, so didn't mind. The bathroom was clean but old and grimy. My friend wouldn't shower without flip flops on!!!

There is also a running smell wafting through the corridors, it smells like sulphur, kind of a 'sewery' smell.

And finally. The constant barrage of people trying to sell you things like massages and quad bike rides was exhausting.

FIN!

Room Tip: Just stay away in general, especially if youre female!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank lunchcritic1
Ross-on-Wye
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Returned back from Tropicana on Monday morning and I already miss it. This hotel is incredibly good value for money as well as being clean and the staff being fantastic. I really do struggle to fault this place. All of the food is fresh and homecooked (including proper chips!) with something for everyone and always plenty of choice. Room was very clean and we were given clean towels and had the room serviced on a daily basis.
We chose to tip some of our waiters and the cleaner and received some superb service from them (we went with 10 Tunisian Dinar every few days which is approx £4). I would highly recommend going to see Danny in the restaurant, he really went over and above for us on a daily basis to look after our needs - he even offered to go and get our little boy nappies in his local town for us because we mentioned that we were running low!
We had a couple of massages in the spa whilst we were there and they were also great but I would definitely recommend bartering with the sales man on the front desk - we were getting 50 minutes massages for the 30 minute price.
We took along our 2 year old son and he was also well catered for in terms of food choices and was made a fuss over by the animation team. With regard to them, I wouldn't say they were boring, this hotel is a very relaxed one and the animation team are not a group of people who will be in your face all of the time. They are friendly and will do anything they can to make your holiday enjoyable.
If there is anything slightly negative to say it is that there is now no kids club at the hotel. There is a small park but for whatever reason the kids club itself no longer exists. This really didn't matter to us as our little boy was more than happy in the kids pool playing with the other children (nothing wrong with making their own fun!). The animation team though, in fairness, listened to the request of the parents there and arranged with the hotel management to put on a kids disco every evening before the main entertainment.
We're already getting prices to go back!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank Littlemisssunshine44
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Overall my partner and I happy stayed at the hotel in mid May 2014 (rain, windy and cool but it's nice enough). It's 3 stars and we paid just a bit over £300 each which we can see it almost twice the price now. We didn't have a sea-view room but the room was great as you would expect the hotel studio-room would be, large bathroom though.

You may need to bring the beach towel as the hotel charge 7 dinar to hire, I hope they will change this when the price are high for the packet. Pool side beds never enough and you would be few inches away from each other if you ever get one. The beach was good for us so no bother. Clean, white sandy beach and lovely swimming in the sea on good day. The hotel keep beach sellers out of the sunbeds area. Staffs will look after you when you have to deal with the outsider.

We don't tip until we see they give a little for what they do. We realised we were a big tipper at the end of the trip but we are happy anyway. £1/2.60 dinar - we've been giving 10 dinar for tip = the price for a taxi to Monastir included tip. The hotel is about 10 miles from Monastir, The Noddy train from the hotel cost £8/PP - if you like walking like us then it possible, we did it. Promise you will enjoy the view and you may not see others tourist but the Tunis tourist. Please bring a bottle of water with you. Later you will be able to find a small shop later, 6 dinar for a bag full of shopping = the price of a packet of crisp at the airport. Cheap and hope it stay cheap for years to come!

Beware of the Tunis who would greet you "I know you from the hotel"! I can't believe 14 years (my 1st trip) it still using this line to catch you. It didn't work on me before/now but surprisingly many British tourist got trapped on that. British politeness can get you around the carpet shop, perfume factory and so on!

Enjoy your holiday!

Room Tip: For Glasgow late flight 50 dinar to keep the room until 23.00 Go higher floor for less noise
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank suwicha s
Ross-on-Wye, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I booked this hotel without reading the reviews beforehand then after booking was disappointed to read the negative comments but I must say I and my family have had a great relaxing week here and would go back.
Pros - fantastic food, great service (once we had tipped a small amount) lovely pool, great beach, nice clean room overlooking the pool and sea
Cons - air con in room is pre set and was sometimes not cool enough for me especially with a duvet on bed, newish looking shower was not built properly and leaked water, corridor outside room was very tatty carpet not cleaned and very dated, had to reserve a sunbed by pool early I.e. 6 o'clock sometimes as we needed them by kiddies pool. No kids entertainment we had to request a mini disco which they did then informed us on our last evening that they were going to be doing them nightly so I suppose that's not an issue but no kids club despite being advertised. Being ignored by one particular waiter as we had not tipped him and our waiter was off the for day.

So there you have it all in all for what you pay it was a great hotel yes it could do with some adjustments and staff training but maybe that's how they do things in Tunisia not of the cons would deter me from spending another holiday here something I don't do normally.

If you are looking to book and have any questions I am more than happy to advise you.

Room Tip: If you don't like your room they will change it for you no problem
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank jacquinewman
Mid Wales
Reviewed 9 June 2014

This hotel is far from being 3 star, much more like 4 star. The hotel is large but not huge and impersonal. The rooms are clean with duvets on the beds. We had a lovely walk in shower as well and a sea view. The food is very good quality and we could always find something to eat. Plenty for children as well. Beautiful bread. Traditional Tunisian food right up to freshly made pizzas, copious chips and fried eggs. Beautiful cakes and pastries. Nice outdoor and indoor pools. A shop, Tunisian cafe , spa and beauty facilities as well. The staff are lovely. Very helpful, polite and always smiling. Our waiter and chamber maid went well above the standards. A amphitheatre is where the evening entertainment takes place, which was ok, but needs some new ideas. The drinks where good especially the shorts, but the cocktails and wines are watered down. Snacks, cakes and abundance of drinks are available all day till 11pm.. Towels for the pool and beach can be changed every day for clean ones after a small deposit. We had a safe for our room as well which had a small fee. The beach is at the end of the hotel path. Absolutely amazing golden sand with safe Mediterranean bathing. Water sports by the side of the hotel. Bar by the beach which the waiters sweated onto bringing drinks for us whilst we were lying on the free loungers. The security was discreet and helpful. All in all a very good holiday, we will be returning.

Room Tip: Away from the next hotel called Safari .
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple