“Good value holiday”

Hotel Club Tropicana & Spa
Ranked #16 of 43 Hotels in Monastir
Reviewed 9 August 2014

This was our first all inclusive holiday and was booked fairly late so we were limited to the choices we had in the time available, Club Tropicana looked to be excellent value for money.

Arrived late on a Sunday evening to a warm welcome by the hotel reception staff. We had a second floor room towards the end of the corridor so well away from the noisy lifts though there if sitting on the balcony there was the noise of the restaurant air con fans to contend with. We were happy with our sea view room and for the majority of our 10 day holiday it was extremely quiet at night and we were not disturbed. Our maid was lovely, rooms were cleaned and beds made everyday with fresh towels daily. Having stayed in a variety of different 3* accommodation abroad this was by far the best.

Staff were excellent on reception, at the bars and in the restaurant during the day. Evening waiters were a bit hit and miss, some giving excellent service others not so. Waiter that served us at breakfast and lunch was excellent, very attentive and hard working. Tipping bar staff ensures you get drinks brought to you both at the beach and at the pool bar.

The pool area was very busy and sunbeds seemed to be being reserved very early in the morning despite numerous signs saying that 'towels would be removed before 9am' if used to reserve beds. The sun lounger areas were quite claustrophobic and therefore we chose to go the beach where there is a lot more space and you get the benefit of the sea breeze. Whilst we were there the sun lounger area around the pool was being extended in to some of the garden areas which may help reduce the crowding.

Food was very varied and you could always find something you liked to eat. Restaurant is much quieter later in the evening after 8ish which means you don't really have to queue for anything. However, by the end of the holiday we had had enough of the food as much of it was variations on a theme. OK for 10 days if we'd been there for 14 days I think we would have got fed up of it.

The Tropicana was in a quiet area so if you're looking for the hustle, bustle and shops of a resort this isn't for you but it is exactly what we like.

We went on 2 Thompson trips, lights and lasers which is an evening meal and show that details the history of Tunisia. The second was a day trip '3 cities' which we really enjoyed. Lots of culture and history and the guide was exceptionally knowledgable, seeing the coliseum in El Jem was probably the highlight. A good value trip that I would recommend.

Pros: great value, excellent service, lovely beach, clean and tidy rooms

Cons: pool very crowded and busy, only local drinks available at the bars (we would have paid extra for branded drinks)

Overall a really enjoyable holiday that I would recommend to others.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Caramont

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Me and my boyfriend came here for a week in July and honestly there is not a bad word I can say. When we arrived it was just after midnight and they asked us to leave our luggage and go for something to eat. After we had something we went to reception, filled out a few forms and then went to our room. Our room was perfect. It was on the first floor and overlooking the pool. The first day we went to the pool and we found two sun loungers and that was fine. Although if u want a good sun lounger I would say get up early. The food in the Hotel was great and there was always something to eat. After reading some other reviews on this we looked for a man named ali baba to book excursions. We ended up booking up to go on a pirate ship. On the ship you get to see dolphins they play different games with you and you have food. Also if you want you can jump off the boat into the see. The only bad thing is that it was really warm because you where out in the sea but there's nothing you can do about that. One of the other days we went out to one of the shopping malls. The taxi cost us 10 dinar each way. When going to the shopping mall I would say definitely go in and have a look around and then go to the markets because we went into the mall and bought a Michael kors watch for 25 dinar where as out on the market they where trying to charge 100 pound. Personally we really enjoyed the hotel entertainment. There would have been more and they should defiantly have something different and not the suneo people singing as that was pretty dull. The African acrobats where amazing and definitely one you have to go see. The pool during the day was always pretty busy but there was always room. On the whole holiday I saw one bug and that was a cockroach just at the pool bar at 2am one morning so bugs are nothing to worry about. I can't stress enough how good this holiday was! Every one was so friendly. At the markets they will try and push you to buy stuff but just say no and walk away and they will leave you alone. If u have any doubts honestly this hotel was amazing and I don't think it should only be a 3 star!

• Stayed: July 2014
14  Thank Erinmclaughlinx
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

Myself & my 2 sons aged 13 & 12 arrived on July 20th & stayed until August 3rd - i was quite worried being a single mum abroad in a country I had never been to b4 & during Ramadan & a bit sceptical after some previous reviews but I can honestly say me & my boys had a fantastic holiday -Donna the Thompson rep met us at the airport & she was fantastic from start to finish -the entertainment staff (animation) were a bit stretched with just 3 at the beginning but they ended up 5 staff by the time we left -they were brilliant with my boys & I could not fault them -the restaurant was amazing with a very wide range of foods which exceeded my expectations - we sat in the same area for 2 weeks & our waiter Jamel was a perfect gentleman to both myself & my boys - we really were looked after -my boys also enjoyed trying new things & it is sometimes easy to please kids but they loved it which made me very happy - the outside bar staff day & night were hard working & friendly & it was spotless there -they cleaned the table every time they brought us drinks -every evening we tried the shisha pipe which was fun & very reasonable -the outside snack bar had the usual pizza burger & chips etc but the restaurant was also superb at lunchtime as well as the evening -our room was spotless & overlooked the pool & beach -we stayed in room 712 & our maid was a little sweetie -everyone W's very friendly -we booked with Thompson for the pirate ship because I got fed up of the Alibaba guy nagging every day -my boys also did the paragliding & they said it was awesome - very reasonably priced too -the sunbed situation was fine -1st come 1st served so if u want a good place then get up early -we visited the beach twice & it was lovely -my holiday cost just under £3000 & I can't complain about anything - absolutely fabulous -gutted to leave & we had a very emotional leaving party when all the boys new friends chased the bus crying for the boys not to leave - thank u to everyone including the lovely people we met for making our holiday perfect

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
10  Thank Alison T
Reviewed 5 August 2014

we came back on sunday 3/8/14 after a weeks holiday, the hotel was fantastic, We had no mither from any of the hotel workers for tips ( unlike last time we visited Tunisia and stayed at the Sahara Beach) it was completely our choice and we did tip towards the end.
Food was excellent quality and always plenty to choose from. room was great and cleaned daily.
Beach security got us liloe mattresses as soon as we arrived each morning, and the boys at the beach bar were fantastic give them a small tip and they bring you drinks all day :) but this is optional we did but was our choice.
Aircon was fantastic and there was a about 3 English tv channels.

Donna and Steph the Thompson reps are brilliant and very helpful. We are considering going back in October we liked it so much.
Visit sahara beach hotel next door for shops and be prepared to haggle you can get some good bargains as the Tropicana only has 2 small shops.
Only downside is the hour transfer from airport as Monistir airport is no longer used. Also if youre in the middle building theres no lift so 2 flights of stairs.

Room Tip: lights and laser show was worth a visit it showed the full history of Tunisia
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank maxine40
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Just recently got back (30th July) from a fortnight at the Suneo Club Tropicana, Monastir, Tunisia. I must say I did not really fancy this one but my wife insisted and boy am I glad I listened to her. We had a wonderful restful fortnight with excellent food and a great room. When we arrived we were immediately put in the furthest room away from the dining hall and bars with the most stairs to negotiate thus confirming my long held view that most hotels want the old wrinklies tucked away out of sight, also the room had obviously recently hosted the All Tunisia Chain Smoking Marathon, the smell of cigarette smoke was unbearable. The view was the air conditioning units, garden rubbish etc. However we went straight back to reception and with only a minimal sucking of teeth from the desk person we were immediately given a great room with a lovely view and no smell. This was done with good humour and no extra charge. The reception area and the Piano Bar are extremely comfortable and nicely air-conditioned, as are all the rooms. The room cleaners and hotel staff are excellent and all do their jobs very efficiently maintaining a standard of cleanliness which really impressed us. We found the food excellent with almost every type of meal available including grilled fish of all types and even bacon at breakfast on one occasion, with lots of (some very spicy) local dishes including rabbit on several days. Comments in other reviews about the swimming pool being crowded etc., are all true and apart from never being able to get a sunbed we found the poolside area very claustrophobic with the beds being too close together and in fact the pool itself is not very big for this size of hotel. We preferred the beach anyway and a big tip (accidental) on the first day ensured we got a sunshade and beds with mattresses near the sea every day. The beach bar was great and a few small tips ensured drinks being delivered to your sunbeds on a regular basis. The entertainment is a bit hit and miss with the "animation" team really struggling, although there was a quiz around the pool bar every day. The Jetski, Paragliding and Banana Boat etc., on the beach are very cheap compared with Turkey and Egypt. We went on a few organised trips including a full day one to Carthage and various other places which was excellent with a brilliant and very knowledgeable guide who in spite of it being Ramadan and no drinks of water at all to moisten his lips managed to speak continuously for about ten hours, by which time he was croaking a bit. A taxi ride into Monastir at night is a bit of an adventure with all the shoe shops and bars and treacherous moped riders and holes in the pavements. All in all and considering the price we paid (late booking) we thought this to be one of our most successful and restful holidays.

Room Tip: If you are not happy with your room go back to reception. They are charming and helpful. We had a ro...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Potty42
Reviewed 5 August 2014

My husband and I booked here for a week child free and to celebrate my birthday. It really did not disappoint. The food was amazing, great choice. We found everyone so friendly and the staff made me feel very special on my birthday. Saleb in the pool bar was very friendly and looked after us both. Our waiters in the restaurant gave super service. The beach was lovely, we had heard about and seen a few jelly fish stings on people which made us both weary of going into the sea but the pool was so lovely and refreshing that was fine for us. The daytime entertainment was ok, as was the evening however we were more than happy people watching and sipping our all inclusive drinks which again did not disappoint.
We cannot comment on any excersions as we didn't do anything but relax, however there was a good choice and reasonably priced.
We both have come back feeling refreshed and very happy of our choice of holiday.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank jennaHSomerset
Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

A female friend and I came here for a girly beach holiday and had a lovely time.
We arrived very late and were given a family room out of the main hotel, this was not as we booked and did not meet our needs (double bed and 2small singles) initially reception were not helpful but spoke with guest relations who supported us to move rooms, was then given a double room with a fab sea view but not appropriate. After another complaint we were allocated a twin room in the main hotel with a sea view which was lovely, overall room met our needs, there is a daily maid service, safe and air con (although ours was very loud).
Positives of holiday:
Lovely beach with security which stops beach sellers approaching u, they also carry sun beds fir you, plenty of sunbeds
Variety of food at mealtimes - lunch def use restaurant rather then pool bar as food is better quality
Friendly, helpful staff
Helpful reps and guest relations
Cheap well organised trips
Good weather
Beach front with water sports which are reasonable priced
Wifi in lounge area
Cheap to have late check out

Evening entertainment by the hotel reps is dire !thry are also specific as to who they engage with
Hotel is remote but there are taxis outside if u want them
Sunbeds by pool are limited unless u get up early to reserve one
Shop on site us expensive

When in Tunisia haggling is expected and you are told clearly to be careful, as 2 women we did get approached but not as hassled as we expected. Overall we got as we wanted a cheap, hot beach holiday with a decent hotel, food, trips and environment !!

We did the catamaran boat ( which is busy) and 3 city trips both cheap and worthwhile !

Stayed: July 2014