“Not Brilliant, its OK”

Ranked #30 of 44 Hotels in Monastir
London
“Not Brilliant, its OK”
Reviewed 8 November 2013

Went on holiday in August 2013 with my wife and two daughters aged 11 & 8.
The hotel is generally ok - value for money - kids loved the pools and slides and the tunisian and italian restaurants were good.
However 3 main reasons I'd never go again:
- room is too small for 4 people (probably designed for 2), felt bit old but agree you shouldnt be spending much time in there.
- restaurant is a joke with too many people and not enough serving areas. After a few days it feels like the same things are being served up and not everything looks appetitising. That leads most folk to go just for the pizzas or chips rather than what should be good food for that night.
- flies - my god they are everywhere and we were all ill at some point during the holiday which I can only put down to the flies. What else could it be when we've travelled abroad every year and never sufferred like we did there.

Its ok for the money, but I'd rather go up or down the coast where they are no flies or stick to other countries.

Its a bit of a shame as they are so close to making this hotel a great resort.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Barry216

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 27 October 2013

These guys were amazing, momo, Tito, Rio, I personally thought Simo was a great rep and he took great care of his guests, we were there for ten days and each day Simo was on top form doing his job brilliantly. Good luck to him in the future he is a wonderful person.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank EllieAshton
Flint, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 October 2013

I decided to take myself & my two kids aged 10 & 8 away for a two week break in the sun wich would'nt cost the earth,so i booked the Houda as it looked wonderful in the brochure.The hotel was just as it looked in the photo's & i was'nt dissapointed with the location,right on the beach,great pools & the slides are fantastic,my two must have worn them out the amount of times we went down them!
You are allocated a table when you first arrive in the restaraunt & you stay at that table for your meals apart from breakfast where you can sit where you like,the queues for food was okay,only things like pancakes or ommlette's took time as they were being prepared as you wait,the thing is that some people think that queing is beneath them & try to push in but if you're anything like me, a polite tap on the shoulder usually did the trick but these rude people are'nt adverse to pushing infront of children,so just beware as my son got pushed right back which in my opinion is very sad for an adult to behave in such a way.
Entertainment is not the best by any means but it's a family hotel & they do have a different show every night aswell as a kids club & activities during the day by the main pool,the music can be loud there so if you prefer it a bit quiter stay around the slides it's far quieter.
This unfortunatly is my biggest complaint about the Houda,the evening entertainment is held around the pool where the slides are & people bring wine & beer glasses over there to watch the show.As you can imagine sometimes you get accidents or not as the case may be & smashing glass seems to be a national passtimes for some holiday makers.On several occasions i had to pick glass up from around the pool even after the cleaning team had been in in the morning,this was met with frank indifference from staff who just sort of shrugged it off.
I mean if someone threw a glass in the water or it got knocked in there you would'nt know until it was too late,which i found very disturbing.
Unfortunatly on our last day a small British boy slipped into the pool unnoticed & sadly lost his life,the lack of lifegaurds & the slow response from the emergency services really beggered belief,we will never know if this was a factor in wether he could have survived or not & my deepest sympathy lie with the family.So just be aware that the safety around the pool areas are poor at best,some of the so called life gaurds were sleeping at the top of the slides,which i found shocking.
Overall though it's a good place to go for a trip,the bar down the road has the football on & the food is reasonable if you want a change from the hotel,just remember that it's Africa & some things are'nt the same as mainland Europe & aviod the shellfish if you don't want a really upset tummy!

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony as i did'nt have one which meant i could'nt really relax on my own whaen m...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank nick h

Travellers are raving about these Monastir hotels

Scotland
Reviewed 9 September 2013

My boyfriend and i where excited for our first holiday away together, I'm 21 and he is 22. You would only remotely like this hotel if you where a child or middle aged woman because that seems to be the only people the staff bothered to be nice to. I feel bad for saying that because there where a handful of really nice staff but the rest looked unhappy to be there, where pushy when trying to get you to buy stuff and rude when you where being served your all inclusive drinks. The animation team only really spoke to young, single girls who where there without boyfriends or older, desperate woman,

The hotel was more geared towards the French also as the staff speak it as a second language they seemed to be having much more fun than we did anyway. The activities around the pool where annoying and they must have played 'Gangnam style' about 10 times a day from big, booming speakers. They also allowed people in to walk around the pool and try to sell you rubbish that you do not want, very annoying.

I had to get up around 7am everyday to secure decent, unbroken sunbeds for the day which wasn't a problem as i couldn't sleep the whole week we where away. I'm usually a deep sleeper but the beds where absolutely horrendous and noise of other peoples doors slamming all through the night was unacceptable, We where also awoken several times a night with the sounds of people shouting, arguing and slamming doors through the corridors. Staff never got involved or addressed this.

Food - The bread was the only decent quality item they had to offer so i ate bread for every single meal, we even tried to avoid the restaurant as much as we could because it was DISGUSTING, flies everywhere, gross food and literally 100's of people scrambling for plates of chips, there was no decent que system so you could be waiting up to 20 mins for a freshly made omelette which was horrible. The flies where gross but i could live with that as it wasn't the hotels fault. We named the restaurant 'the free for all' because it was horrible, rude people knocking you out the way for the sake of chips.

At dinner the staff where only helpful if you where tipping them, we would walk in for our dinner and preferential treatment to select guests was obvious. They would have fancy table decorations and drinks waiting on them on arrival, christ knows how much they where tipping for that!

The night time entertainment was beyond rubbish and i did not feel safe leaving the hotel so we had to put up with it, some nights i could feel myself having panic attacks because i felt i was stuck there looking at the same walls every night and fighting for seats, wifi is rubbish too so dont bother with laptops or tablets if you're going,

Overall I'm disappointed with thomsons selling me this hotel, i was so excited and it was a TOTAL letdown, Please don't go,

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 August 2013

i went with my brother and hubby the place was called houda palace when we went which was 7/7/10 to 21/7/10 we all really enjoyed the hotel staff were friendly and helpful the room we had looked onto to sea, it was clean and spacious and the air con was very refreshing especially as the temp was hitting the late 40's. i would recommend this to my family and friends as you get value for your money. would love to go back.

Room Tip: the rooms facing the sea are all spacious you don't get disturbed by any thing. even though the...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
Salford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2013

First of all I've travelled all over the place and this as got to be the worst place I've ever been in my lifetime the staff are overly rude no time for you unless your paying them dinar the restraunt is like a cattle market people running for food which was cold raw all the time now I don't expect 5star food but my god strangeways provide better meals in fact I wouldn't have fed my dog the stuff there serving the rooms are spacious but that's it cracked tiles mouldy ceilings wires everywhere and if u bang the door hard enough ur in the room I stayed was 666 3 floors up and down 3 doorways we were told by Thompson rep English who book through them are not allowed to stay in that block due to health an safety entertainment is dire all in all houda hell stay away

Room Tip: There is no good room everything about this place in fact skanes in particular is bad the food the p...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Sam G
Brno, Jihomoravsky Kraj, Czech Republic
Reviewed 9 August 2013

The best hotel I've visited. Great atmosphere, excellent service, friendly staff and by far the best animation team. Animation team should get their own TV show. :D There is plenty of afternoon and morning sports activities for both adults and children alike. And also there is really great evening program in which I had a great fun. ;)

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family