“Don't think we'll return for a second visit” 2 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Houda Golf and Beach Club
Ranked #9 of 45 Hotels in Monastir
Newcastle-upon-Tyne, United Kingdom
“Don't think we'll return for a second visit”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2012

We were here from 20th May for 2 weeks and I wish I had only booked for a week. We are early risers and went down for breakfast at 7am every morning thinking there wouldn't be a queue for eggs, how wrong were we. The queues are so slow because of the hot plate the chef was cooking on and the fact he wasnt in any hurry so I jst opted to queue for toast as I really couldn't face yorkshire puddin, cabbage and what looked like cottage pie that early in the morning (wish that was your choice at lunch time). As an earlier review stated there is something for everyone to eat and thats why for 2 weeks I ate chips and salad as nothing else appealed to me, my husband tried everything and said it all tasted the same but was a different colour. The pools were great but you have to be up early to get a sun bed. The bar on a night time is terriblle, you have to queue for your drinks and are only allowed 2 small plastic cups each so my tip for anyone going here is to take large plastic cups and the barman will fill them for you so your not having to queue as much. The entertainment was focused on children of which there were absolutely loads, so anyone going here with children your kids will definitely make new friends. The rooms were very basic but clean, as long as I have clean beding that does me. I would not return to this hotel due to the queueing factor as you have to do this far too much for my liking, also the air con does not come on till 14th June and my room was like an oven, I left the window open 1 night and got bit of the mozzies so ended up having very little sleep coz of the heat. Finally if you have any problems and your with Thomsons don't hesitate to go to your rep Stacey she is excellent at getin things sorted for you and is really helpful and friendly

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank NANAJOAN57

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (472)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Maidstone, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2012

Positives....Staff are amazing and cant do enough to help you. Swimming pools are fab, kids were in them pretty much all day every day! But thats it for the positives! Negatives....No air con until middle of June as the hotel don't deem it hot enough yet!! It was in the late 20's to early 30's while we were there! At night you can't open your bedroom windows because of the mosquitos, so room was like a sweat box. Also had a massive cockroach in our bathroom, didnt once see any kind of pest control spraying going on. Rooms are shabby and out dated, but the maids do a fantastic job of keeping them clean. We arrived at 2am due to Thomas cook flight delays, no dinner had been saved for us and we had to beg at check in for some water! We paid extra for a sea view..if you stuck your head out of the window you could just see it in the distance. Food was awful, I lived on pasta and chicken. Breakfast is not even worth going down for. Ice creams are not included in all inclusive! Alcohol choice was poor...Vodka tasted nothing like vodka we are used to at home. If you want a sunbed by the pool you have to be up at 5am at the latest to save your beds or you have no chance! Thomas cook flight also delayed by 2hrs coming home due to airbus breaking down...AGAIN! We tried to make the best of our hol as we paid nearly £5000 for 8 of us to go, but unfortunately you could not pay me to stay there ever again!

• 3 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Monastir hotels

liverpool
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2012

just arrived back today , we where very worried on how we would find the hotel as we had , had mixed reviews on this hotel before we came from trip adviser, we decided to go open minded and make the most of our yearly holiday.
On arrival we had to wait over 2 hrs as check in was not till 2pm, bearing in mind we had been up since 2am with 2 kids and where tired and just wanted to settle in, reception staff quite rude and not intersted.taken to our room overlooking mini golf and bit of the sea, very basic , pain comin off windows, bathroom smelling musty as shower curtain old and too small for the bath/ shower,shower broke which was fixed next day.only 2 towels small and bath for family of 4 so had to share.
NO AIR CONDITIONING AT ALL IN HOTEL!! as doesnt go on till mid june unless heat of 40, one day was 39, heat in room of night was unbearable some nights, couldnt open windows for fear of mozzies as most people covered in bites !!
food in snack bar AVOID AS COVERED IN FLIES, PANINIS WHERE SERVED FROM OPEN CONTAINERS HALF COVERED WITH CLING FILM AND FLIES IN AND OUT OF THE CONTAINER , WE NEVER WENT BACK , SAME WITH PIZZA AND CHIPS FROM SNACK BAR
Restaurant, your allocated your own table for lunch and evening meal, with a waiter who will clear your plates (thats all , will expect tip )they give you a choice early or lates, early 12.30.130 lunch tea 630 , 730 or 1.30 230 tea 745 till 9. early is bedlam large ques waiting for everything to be filled again , germans walking to front of que, omlettes and pasta expect ques time of at least 30 minutes minimum, and ask for your omlettes well done as yesterday was still runny . food very similar day in day out , rice, chips , chicken , beef in sauce, lots of leftovewrs from the al a carte. we ended up most days eating chips and salad and crusty bread , soup was ok now and again.
al la carte tunisian and italian actually best meal of holiday , we left big tip in itralian and where invited back again next day , thanks god lol save goin restaurant
bars and alchohol. only 1 or 2 people serving in the one bar in main area , one tap for lager fella stood pouring out their all day , 2 per person small plastic cups sometimes glasses , tastes bitter, they ran out of wine twice whilst we where their.the bar by the outside entertainment (water slides) doesnt open till 9pm one man serving only lager ! and there is a fizzy drinks machine on all day for kids to help themselves , cheap lemo and fizzy orange not what it says fanta and coke. sometimes took ages to fill cup up .NO WATER IS SERVED AT THIS BAR OR HATCH ONLY BOTTLES FROM MAIN BAR BY RECEPTION, WE HARDLY DRANK AS COULD NOT BE BOTHERED QUING OR WALKING BACKWARD AND FORWARDS TO OTHER BAR. THIS IS WHAT HOTEL WANTS TO SAVE THEM MONEY.
ENTERTAINMENT CRAP! APPARENTLY LAST ANNIMATION TEAM SACKED 7 WEEKS BEFORE. THEY DID TRY THEIR BEST BUT IF YOU LIKE WATCHING PEOPLE DANCING TO DIFFERENT SONGS MOST NIGHTS , CRAP QUIZ SHOW , CRAP KAREOKE MOSTLY FOREIGN SINGING , APPALING COMEDY NIGHT WHERE MOST PEOPLE LAUGHED AS SO SHOCKING! KIDS DISCO 40 MIN WAS OK KIDS ENJOYED IT 830 TILL 915 ISH
IVE BEEN AS HONEST AS I CAN , WE ARE NOT FUSSY EATERS AND ALWAYS MAKE THE MOST OF OUR HOLIDAY , THE BEST PART WAS THE AQUA PARK WHICH WAS THE QUIETEST PART OF POOL, BE UP EARLY 5AM TO GET A BED WITH UMBRELLA AS ONLY ABOUT 8 AND WAYCH OUT FOR THE WASPS AND FLIES !
WE WILL NOT BE GOING BACK !

Room Tip: ask for room at beach end as quieter, bring mozzie spray keep windows closed of evening, book al la...
4 Thank tangonic
Doncaster, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2012

Arrived at the hotel on May 27th 2012 at around 11am, found out you can't check in until 2 pm which begs the question why have rediculas flight times ? finaly got the keys to our room at nearly gone 3pm bearing in mind me and my family had been up since 2am,,the room was basic but you don't live in your hotal room,,although no fridge in the room to keep your sun cream and aftersun or any medication cool, evening meal at the buffett resturant was ok, and then it went down hill alarmingly,, There is only 1 bar open at night which will only alow you 2 glasses of beer / wine or spirits and because of this at times it could take you 15-20 mins to get served,, the buffett breakfast was in a word rank,, who in the right mind would eat Cabbage // Pasta for breakfast ? they were constantly running out of cold milk for cereals plates and other breakfast foods,,so again you had to wait while they were replenished, went to the evening disco which was out of the main hotel door and accross an unlight car park with a drain ditch running straight accross it which I'd be amazed nobody broke any bones stummbling in it, the disco room had a smell of wet dog in there which turned my stomach,, if you only wanted beer/wine or soft drinks you were fine if you wanted spirits you had to go back upstairs to the main bar and wait another 15-20 mins to get served.
The pool area's the 1st wk wasn't to bad always plenty of sun beds to go around but the 2nd wk was awfull as there was to many guests and not enough sun beds and people were reserving these at daft o'clock as me and my wife went to the pool just after 8 am to be told by the life guard that all the beds were taken,, we found out towards the end of the holiday that the life guard was on the take, if you slipped him a few dinnars you was sorted.
I simply don't agree that this hotel is a 3 star place,, I would give it 1 * + and that is being generous, also we found out that the hotel dosen't switch the air conditioning on unitl the middle of June,, I wish we had paid that litle bit more and got to a 4 star hotel, and to think we paid nearly £ 1300 for this, never again

Room Tip: Don't go to this hotel
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank craig c
Blackpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2012

I though after returning from our holiday 27.05.12 - 04.06.12 I should write a review due to the terrible reviews I had read.
Rooms - basic but clean, had no problems with bugs but I did pack bug spray as I was expecting them given where we were travelling too. Cleaning ladies were lovely and helpful.
Food - as expected mostly due to where we were going, the food was basic and lacked variety but we all managed, none of us starved, none of us got sick and the pool side snack bar was always a treat if needed.
Location - a few local shops, good enough for forgotten essential items, UK chocolate and souvenirs, plus a nice pub.
Service - the waiters in the dining rooms were amazing and such sweethearts, our waiter did our table really nice for the little lad's birthday and made him a cake and all the waiters brought it to him and sang happy birthday - a real treat for him and something he will never forget.
General - I broke my wrist on the 4th day of this holiday - the in-hotel medics were wonderful and all the hotel staff were very helpful and continuously asked if I was okay and checked on the children whilst I went for medical treatment, our Thomson's rep Stacey was also amazing and very helpful even on her day's off!
Although we have lot's of places we would like to visit, we would definitely love to come back to Tunisia and this hotel.
Thank you for the wonderful experiences - quad biking, El Jem, Sousse, Monastir etc.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank tezziebur
Somerset, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2012

Cosmetically, the hotel was wonderful. The pool area was stunning (though the pool could have been cleaned more frequently) and the rooms were very pleasant (minus the military of mosquitoes, but that's not their fault!). The weather was HOT except for one night where a brief but biblical downpour of torrential rain and thunder/lighting fell, which was actually quite an experience. There are wild cats roaming free around the grounds of the hotel which are fun to spot. Especially when a several week old kitten tries to claw the face off a small child. I laughed.

However, it came with it's downsides. We arrived at 11am and we couldn't check in until 2pm. We also couldn't eat lunch until 1:30pm. The organisation was chaotic, and nobody really knew what was going on. So we were stuck in a very hot limbo for hours, where we were dying to shower and change into more appropriate clothing after travelling from a very cold Scotland!

The food - Christ! I've read reviews by people stating it as the best part of the hotel - I dread to think what they eat at home. Repetitive, unappetising and mostly inedible. The smell coming from the buffet made my stomach turn, and unless you're fine with living on Pizza and Chips all week, you might want to bring extra money to eat out, though even then, your options are limited in Skanes unless you fancy getting a bus or taxi into Sousse. You get ice cream for dessert at lunchtime in a very generous portion of a plastic cup resembling the size of Shot Glass! If you want an actual ice cream, you have to pay - Not included in the all-inclusive strangely. There's also a snack bar which serves paninis, though your choices of fillings are salty and hard shavings of cheese, chilli sauce, stale salad and two or three "mystery meats". You get two tokens for one 3 course meal at each of the Italian and Tunisian a la carte restaurants. We didn't do the Tunisian one, based on what was served in the buffet. However, despite the food being cooked by the same hotel, the Italian food in the a la carte restaurant was lovely, head and shoulders above the bilge tossed into the buffet! I can't even walk past a dodgy takeaway back home now without thinking of those tubs full of "mystery meat" at the buffet. Yuck.

During the day, you have plenty of outlets for drinks as there are 3 or 4 bars open, but in the evening, you are restricted to just the lobby bar. You will queue for a long time to get two beakers of very very watered down spirits and warm mixers, or a small glass of beer that is bland enough to make Fosters taste like craft ale. Perhaps take advantage of Duty Free on your way in, though it does sort of make the whole point of all-inclusive a little redundant.

Prepare yourself for saying "no thankyou" over and over. You will be pressured into buying things at any opportunity, from flowers, to horse rides, to a man in the shadows with a Falcon who will put it on your head for you to take pictures of, then demand 10TND for him and 10TND for his bird. As soon as you step out of baggage claim, you will probably have your cases snatched out of your hands and taken to your bus before you even get chance to say "no thankyou". Don't worry though, they will happily take your English money as payment if you have no Dinars yet... Also, for anyone travelling from Scotland - make sure you take English sterling with you to change into Tunisian Dinars. The hotel WILL NOT change Scottish notes.

Apart from the stomach-churning food and the watered down and small measures of drinks, I had a good time. It's what you make it to be, and if a break in the sun by the pool or on the beach is what you're after, then you'll be okay in good company. Just don't expect fine wine and exquisite cuisine. Pack plenty of immodium and insect repellent. If you've got room in your suitcase for a desk fan, bring five. We had no air conditioning, it felt cooler outside than in the room, but I got by with 4 cold showers a day.

In summary, I certainly wouldn't go back.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Joe C
Derry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2012

just returned from our hols (june 3rd - 10th) and had an amazing time. Glorious weather, plenty of food and drink, great entertainment and adequate accomodation......... The entertainment staff went out of their way to make you feel welcome and really made great effort with our teenage children!! If i was to pick any faults with the hotel it would be that maybe the reception staff should take some social skills from the entertainment staff! Having read some of the previous reviews concerning stomach upsets and ear infections i can catergorically say that we have suffered neither of these complaints and i can pick no fault with the food, other than the usual all inclusive gripe of it being a bit samey. An amazing holiday which we returned from only 6 hours ago and we are already sitting glued to the laptop looking for prices for our return trip hopefully later on in the year!!!

7 Thank sarah c