“Not for us”

Houda Golf and Beach Club
Ranked #14 of 43 Hotels in Monastir
Reviewed 28 August 2014

We've just arrived home from here after 10 days and we are all not sad to be home! The main problem with this hotel is that it is too busy by far...the restaurant is just awful, the food, the seating plan, the mix of nationalities, the queues. Our 5 year old daughter was knocked clean off her feet one evening and smashed a plate- I dreaded it so much we ate out every other evening. The rooms are very basic and not very clean- but I don't blame the cleaners, they have so many rooms to clean every day and there appeared to be so few of them they are rushing. The main pool is horrendous we didn't sit there once. If you like being packed in like a sardine, your ears blasted by terrible music and terrible poolside activities you will though fit right in!! The pool by the slides is much quieter and you could usually get a sun bed without being nose to nose/ toe to toe with a complete stranger!!! My advice before booking this would be can you find an extra couple of hundred pounds and go somewhere better.

3  Thank Freddie305

Reviewed 28 August 2014 via mobile

I was there with family and We don't want to go back home, loving the swimming pools the food is very good the entertainment is amazing and the service is great, the rooms are very basic. They have an amazing pool and beach party, the slides are really fun and billy and minlo are so lovely and friendly.

• Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank Harleigh S
Reviewed 28 August 2014

Got back today. Travelled with my partner and 5 year old boy. We all enjoyed the holiday. We did have slight tummy ache on some days but I'd say most holidays cause a little of this. The food was good, but probably not stored or reheated in the same way that is in the developed world. Nobody died and there was always pasta, salad, chips, rice, vegetables, chicken, meat and fish dishes available. If you are a fussy eater you may struggle more but I could have eaten there for another week. The pool area serves fruit around 11am then pizza, chips and paninis available virtually all day even offering midnight pizza which I've never known on an all inclusive before. The weather was amazing, hot from first thing in the morning. Sun beds well I've been out between half 5 and 7am to reserve them, after that you'd probably struggle so set an alarm ;) Music, games, water aerobics and dancing round the pool every day just join in it will make your holiday more fun. There were often queues for drinks and they are small cup sizes so ask for 2 at a time which solves the problem. Red, white and rose wines all decent and the spirits available are vodka, gin, brandy and whiskey. Beer also served at most bars. We did the camel ride and a boat trip. Watch out for prices though as you can haggle the organisers right down. Camel trip we paid 30 dinars for the 3 of us and the boat trip at the marina only 40 dinars and it included a lovely meal and we even saw some dolphins! Always agree tuk tuk / taxi prices ahead of the trip as the drivers can be quite inventive with the prices if you don't. Tipping is expected in Tunisia. If you get a load of 5 dinar coins which is about £1.60 and tip bar staff and taxi drivers they will treat you better for it. We don't really like tipping but the staff don't earn much and are really over worked as the hotel is so busy, it is nice if you can tip some of them. There are loads of flies around the complex which is annoying but it will be because of the food and sweet drinks constantly being consumed. Take mosquito repellent for the evenings. The pool area is perfect for kids and the slide pool is like having your own mini water park. Not having to pay extra to go to one is great. The beach is full of seaweed and looks dirty because of it, I don't think it's a great beach tbh but there are others available if you go to Monastir etc. Ask at reception for good places to visit and also ask them price of a taxi so you are one step ahead of the drivers. Oh finally the rooms.. They are very basic. Ours had air con and beds were made up daily, floors mopped etc. There was no hair drier in ours, but I know some rooms did have them. We had twin beds and bunk beds all in the same room. Bathroom had a shower over the bath all worked fine, but could do with a bit of an update on tiles etc. Toilet always seems to smell and there was no fan to remove steam after a shower. For the amount of time you spend in your room, it shouldn't spoil your holiday, but don't expect luxury. I'm glad we went and I enjoyed every minute so don't worry about the bad reviews - they are written by uptight weirdos.

6  Thank Carla M
Reviewed 26 August 2014 via mobile

The comment/complaint posted by vickrumj is shockingly unbelievable and I would totally disagree with. I have just spent 2 weeks in this fabulous place and am already thinking about going back to begin? First of all, everyone needs to be warned that you will return home feeling like you have been release December. I had the most wonderful holiday and so did all my family.

The daily activities were fabulous and well organised. Each animator is very talented and professional. I have never came across people who can speak more than 7 languages very fluently except these guys. Each night there is a different show to entertain the guests e.g fakir, beach party, welcome night etc

Like anywhere in the world there are sellers trying offer you day trips/excursions. The sellers don't pressure you into something you don't want to do, they are very understanding and accommodating.

All the staff are very friendly and very welcoming, they will go out their way to make sure that you are content and fully satisfied. I often gave the staff tips willingly for their great customer experience.

There are people from all over the world visiting this amazing hotel, English, Irish, Italian, German, French, American, Polish, Russian, Algerian, Libyan, Spanish, Ukrainian, Indian, Chinese ... The list is never ending. I enjoyed socialising with all walks of people.

The food was very delicious and appetising. There was a huge range of cuisines from Tunisian to Italian. I often found myself going up for 3nd helpings. I was surprised as there were no queues as in past restaurants I found myself waiting for upto 10mins. The omelettes are nice and freshly made in front of you with your choice of ingredients. I helped myself to one each day as I couldn't resist it.

I loved sunbathing by the pool, it was very relaxing and soothing. At times I even joined in with the daily activities. The beach was amazing, golden sand, blue sea and water sports for those more daring. Not me! The sunbeds have umbrellas too so I would often hide under the shade when I was too warm. There are some jelly fish in the sea so be careful. Never the less this is expected in all seas.

In the evenings the entertainment was outstanding. The Tunisian people are very talented and passionate about their jobs.The staff do their best to involve everybody and provide a variety of entertainment. The animation team do try their best and everyone seems to have a good time. My favourite was billy (chief animation) and bboy meziana (beautiful). Without them the holiday wouldn't have been the same. Well done boys

The rooms are clean and if you tip regularly not just to the maids but around the hotel you will get a good service. The bar staff, receptionist, waiters are really accommodating.
There are many kind and friendly staff in the hotel the list is never ending. I have never seen such a fun and enthusiastic bunch. I had great respect for the Tunisian people and staff, they are hard working,

There are 2 bars, night club, shopping centre all within walking distance. On a few of the nights we took a taxi and ventured of to the neighbouring cities, monastir, sousse, port el kantoui.

All in all, we all thoroughly enjoyed our 2 weeks here and we were sad to leave this amazing hotel. This is a 3 star hotel however I would rate it 4 stars ****

The kids throughly enjoyed themselves. The animation team was very child friendly, they knew how to keep the kids busy and most important of all they were always happy and smiling. There were a few snots and tears as our coach pulled away from the hotel.

Once again, thank you to everyone who made this an amazing holiday and will cherish all the great memories.

Shukhran (thank you)

• Stayed: August 2014
7  Thank Debs12345678
Reviewed 26 August 2014

First may I just say that the people who say this place is "Great" and "Fantastic" must be either one of following:

1. Have got the holiday for free.
2. A teenage girl who just gets the attention from the Tunisian men.
3. Live in squaller themselves back home.
4. Have not been abroad before to a decent Hotel.
5. Persuaded to put good reviews on here by the staff

We went here for 10 nights and the place is a hell hole, in fact I think it was just a Tunisian prison and it should be shut down or Thomson should take it of their books. Its disgusting that hard working people pay nearly £2000 to go and stay in a place like like this and I will be sending a huge complaint to Thomson asking for a full refund.

Hotel - Unclean with cockroaches everywhere. Nice sewage smell on most days when it started to get really hot. Pubes everywhere in the bathroom and what looked like skid marks on the sheets.

Food - That's not food. Simple as. I actually LOST weight its that bad. 3 Days in I got food poisoning and had to have an injection I was that bad.

Drink - Same as above. only good thing was the beer & bottled water. Kids terrified of the 100's of bees swarming them when they went for a drink.

Pools - OK I suppose, main pool was chaos and noisy all day but water slides were quite good (but sometimes dangerous as no health and safety)

Staff - Mainly OK but only if you tip them. Some are rude, if you have Teenage girls going with you watch them at all time, the animation team are sex pests. Kids club are a joke and actually LOST a little boy who was under their supervision 1 day.

We really should of listened to the bad reviews on here and not gone. But we were taken in by the good reviews stating none of it was true and people were just moaning. Shame on you for tricking people into booking here. Next year we are spending a little more and not going with Thomson/First Choice...

To sum it up ??? Think Fawlty Towers + Stalag 17 in the searing heat with sewage & lots of lots of flies...

17  Thank SilverServer1974
Reviewed 25 August 2014 via mobile

Where to begin? First of all, everyone needs to be warned that you will return home feeling like you have been released from a foreign prison. I felt institutionalised after visiting the Houda, the same routine day in day out for ten days.
I read previous reviews and did not expect much from this hotel, I always try to make the best of holidays but this place made it tough at times.

On arrival our hotel room wasn't ready so we waited outside by the main pool. Immediately a string of Tunisian sellers are bombarding us with trips to go on including camel rides, boats, Jetskis and paragliding. There were a group of ten of us with a young baby and they seemed to think it was a perfectly sound idea to strap the baby to a camel if needed or to include them on a speedboat experience! Honestly, health and safety is a distant dream and the sellers will try anything to get hold of your money.

Can hardly blame the staff expecting tips or extra cash...some work 16 hour days for seven days a week on very little money. Slave labour is not something I like to see on a supposedly relaxing holiday and we regularly gave pizza and drinks secretly to hungry staff. It was quite difficult to see at times.

Anyway, back to our wait for the room. It was an hour late and they don't tell you when it's ready. You have to go and search for it on a board and after a long journey it's the last thing you want to do. It was stressful as soon as we walked through the doors...thousands of people walking in all directions, many of them with no manners at all. If only i knew this was just the beginning...this place turned me from a reasonably patient and polite individual to an angry, bitter and empty shell of my former self.

1st incident of anger- the food area/school canteen. After a long journey I was looking forward to filling my stomach but unfortunately the only thing it did was churn. The food was horrible, half the time they just regurgitated the same foods from the day before and mixed it with something else. To be fair, you can find a way to sustain yourself if you pick the right foods e.g. for breakfast ( the worst meal of the day here) I went all ' Jamie Oliver' and made own toasted sandwiches using sliced sausage (if you can call it a sausage) and grilled tomatoes. Pleasingly, they do a nice cup of tea in the morning too which made me less likely to punch a tourist in the face. Let me clear up the sudden latter harsh statement...the queues are horrendous and it will bring out the worst in everyone. Apparently the omelettes are quite nice but I never had it in me to stand in line for ten minutes waiting everyday. Many other tourists are not partial to waiting either and love to push in front of you or shove you out of the way to get what they want. This is a daily cycle and you will probably shout or argue with at least one other tourist during your stay. On the plus side, you get to eat pure carbs guilt free due to lack of choice such as: pasta, chips, pasta, more chips, abit of pasta on the side and a few more chips. The paninis at lunch are nice though, just wait until about 2pm to go as queues seem to be lower at that time.

2nd incident of anger( i will get to the good points don't worry)- sunbeds. Don't expect to sleep in if you want to sunbathe and get a tan. Unfortunately there are many saddos that thrive on getting by the pool at about 5am so you have set an alarm early. May i suggest going to the waterslide pool if you don't want your ears to bleed from the constant maximum vol. music they play all day by the main swimming area. It's much quieter and if you have kids they can have fun on the slides there where the lifeguards are very good. We reserved our beds at about 6.30 which was fine.

3rd incident of anger- the beach. I'm sure in the Thompson brochure they don't mention the fact that the sea is pumped full of radioactive sewage from the power plant a stone throw away from the shore. The water is terrible and full of jellyfish hence another point of disappointment/anger. The sand however is lovely and sunbeds have umbrellas too so worth a short visit.

4th point of anger- The flies. The evil and determined flies. They are like the devil's spawn, constantly landing on you as you sunbathe, purposely trying to drain the last of your holiday spirit. Clearly though, this is not the hotel's fault, just another bit of bad luck for all.

5th point of anger- the evenings. In all honesty, the staff try their best to involve everybody and provide a variety of entertainment. Problem is, it's not entertaining and if your British you will not want to get involved. It is geared to other nationalities and you'll find yourself sat at the same table every night, drinking the same watered down 'alcoholic' drinks, listening to the same cd of 90's dance songs on full blast. I mean for crying out loud, playing 'Candle in the Wind' by Elton John at one point just about nearly ended me. It's worth trying the candyfloss or pancakes just to give you something to do for 5 minutes but they cost 2 dinar each. Oh yeah, forgot to mention that anything worth having will cost you more money whilst in the hotel.

The animation team do try their best though and many others seemed to be enjoying themselves so perhaps it just wasn't for us.

Points of good/happiness- rooms are clean and if you tip regularly not just to the maids but around the hotel you will get a better service. We managed to eat twice in the Tunisian Al a'Carte and the waiters are really accommodating- I even got a cake with sparklers to celebrate my birthday which was lovely.

There are many kind and friendly staff in the hotel ( some are miserable as sin and let the place down e.g receptionist with glasses refused us bottled water before our early morning transfer- what a gent!) If anything i had great respect for the Tunisian people/staff...they are hard working, enthusiastic and made of strong stuff- the culture will open your eyes as to how lucky we are back home. It is hard to actually spend your money as everything is so cheap yet there are locals who will do anything for some extra cash to feed their families. Advice- be generous, tip those that deserve it and remember that ten dinar is about equal to 3 pound. A days wages for some of the staff in the hotel.

After luring you into a false sense of security, here are a few more downers for you-

Noise- I've had quieter night's in San Antonio, Ibiza when I was 18. Our balcony faced in to the main pool and beach where there is constant music. They love to play 'Gangnam Style' too which added insult to injury. The only time i actually heard the sound of the waves was at 4am when i was packing my suitcase to go home. The walls in the room are paper thin, to put it into perspective you could quite easily hear a fart from along the corridor if you were so inclined.

Area- there is nowhere to go outside of the hotel apart from two bars ( which also sell bad food and overcharge)and a small shopping centre. This is what makes you feel trapped, me and my boyfriend love to wander around to find new bars, restaurants etc. but there is nothing to do at all. That is unless you want to get a taxi which leads me to...

Taxis- dangerous driving. I was actually scared of flying before I got on the roads here. Now i'm scared of cars. The roads are unsafe and we made the mistake of taking three young children to Monastir for an evening out. I was lost in sheer panic on my way there and back, not advisable to anyone. Monastir is quite a daunting place too, dress down or you will stick out like a sore thumb. Avoid mankinis and G strings especially (joke) No seriously, culture is very different to ours and you have to stay on your guard.

All in all, our group of ten tried to make the best of what we could. This isn't a 3 star hotel by British standards but they try hard to keep guests happy where they can. The kids seemed to enjoy themselves ( there is plenty for younger ones)but i'd suggest going somewhere else if you are a couple or just want a relaxing holiday, good food and drink, a nice beach, variety in the evenings, no hassle...basically my advice is to go somewhere else. Seriously, trust me...go somewhere else.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
11  Thank Vickrumj
Reviewed 24 August 2014

Amazing holiday,highly recommends,shall be returning in the near future! Great staff,great food one thing that could be improved is a different range of entertainment instead of the same thing all the time.

• Stayed: July 2014