“fantastic family holiday”

Ranked #23 of 44 Hotels in Monastir
Dublin, Ireland
“fantastic family holiday”
Reviewed 16 July 2013

Who could ask for more and how can we thank you all at the hotel Bella vista Monister Tunusia
for a great holiday. really we could not get better any where else .To begin with from start to finish we had a fantastic holiday .The hotel is located next to monister airport which is a huge plus if you have children or elderly parents ,only 3 minutes away ,and on arrival we were greeted with a very warm welcome .The hotel is big ,bright ,spotless clean ,with great atmosphere.and your own private beach.Entertainment for children is extremely good with all day activity ,its what parents want .There is a huge selection of food to cater for every one and under no circumstances will you go hungry on top of the beautiful desserts,all really excellent and very well presented ,no shortage of sun beds and umbrellas at pool or beach and a great big pool with bar and restaurant . we found the staff very helpful polite and friendly which is very very important on holiday. would recommend a holiday again in tunisa.

Room Tip: 1 avoid room near the pool as there is loud music playing during the day.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank sean h

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Slovak first
Olomouc, Czech Republic
Reviewed 15 October 2011

The location is perfect, it is just across the road from the airport if you land in Monastir! The planes do not disturb you during your stay, don't worry.

Food and beverages were good, a lot of things to choose from. The only problem were endless queues for afternoon pancakes or icecream. Umbrellas at the beach were for free as well as additional towels for the beach.

What I didn't like about the hotel were the receptionists - it may be in their nature but I really do not want hotel staff to look at my girlfriend with this "lover" look, touch her etc, you know what I mean if you've been to an Arabic country. They should be more professional in this. Plus, if you need something, they won't help you. We had problems with wifi in the lobby and we told them million times about it but they didn't do anything to fix it!

The hotel guests are mainly from Russia and they think they are the only ones there so expect some wird moments when a lady will start talking to you in Russian and you won't understand a thing :)

Animators at the pool were all young locals, they were too loud for me and the program was the same everyday!

All in all, if you can get a last-minute offer to this hotel, it is quite good but there are definitely better hotels I've seen.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank MCepek
England
Reviewed 25 August 2010

We stayed at the Bella Vista for 2 weeks....our children are 14,11 and 4....And I can't put my finger on what it was I liked about the whole holiday..or..what I didn't like.
The transfer was all of 1 minute, the airport noise isn't really a problem. The hotel is OK,a little dated in places. The food was very hit and miss, many times we ate bread and chips. They had such a miss-mash of food that just didn't go together, you can only eat pasta for so long.!! The waiters are sometimes too helpful and this really did get on our nerves. The pool are was great for the children, the youngest even flung himself with his new found courage (with armbands) down the big slides..The sunbeds were generally OK, however, you had to tip the men who worked around the pool area to get them to bring mattress covers for you..also I asked if I could have a parasol one day, one that wasn't fixed, and he said no and pointed me in the direction of a fixed one. On later observations, it seemed that the Dutch had favouritism and they got these parasols,for tips and cigarettes. The beach is 2 minutes away and is lovely, apart from the men harassing you to buy there goods, that was really annoying. The rooms were basic but clean. The hotel shops were pricey, so take all that you need and more, a bottle of suncream worked out at £23..!! We ventured out one day to the market in Monastir, we couldn't get back quick enough, it was smelly and nothing there..Open land with tons of rubbish. We didn't venture to the other resorts.
At night there is no where to walk to, so you are stuck with the hotel entertainment, which is OK..the mini - disco wasn't in English so my little boy soon got very bored. The beer was very tasteless and did get fed-up of drinking it..!! There were ladies who went topless but I didn't as I couldn't be doing with the attention from the lads who worked around the pool area. All in all it was a holiday with fantasic weather....

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank KeriEngland
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 August 2010

Had hoped for a nice realaxing break with my partner but this hotel is not worth the price. Rooms and the entire place are generally what i would call dirty, service in the main resteraunt can be an absolute nightmare, and at certain times you have to queue to get servced at all of the bars and snack bars. It is not set up to cater for UK tourists and I would not recommend anyone going here expecting the same standard as other European/Eastern & African destinations. We met some great people and all had a good time, mainly having a good old group moan. The entertainment team are nice people trying hard with no real budget or equipment.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Monastir hotels

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2010

Be prepared to queue for everything. There were never any clean cups at breakfast or tables. The waiter's idea of cleaning a table was to brush the food off the table and not change the table cloth, although if they changed the cloth that was dirty too. The main resturant was the filthiest place in the hotel! There was food all over the counter, dirty floors and walls and the waiter's were all filthy. Evening meals were awful, We are not fussy eaters however because everything was dirty it put you off eating anything. When we did try to eat something then we found all of the meat including the fish was processed. Lunchtimes were burgers, hotdogs or pizza and you had to queue for that. At 3pm they would do pancakes at the poolside and you had to queue for those too! You had to queue at the bar unless you tipped the bar staff. By 9pm they had run out of glasses so you would have either a plastic cup or odd glasses for the drinks order i.e beer in wine glasses, red wine in shot glasses etc. If you were luck enough to get a glass it was chipped or cracked.
We arrived at the airport in Tunisia and it took over 2 hours to get through immigration. When we finally got through and out the otherside we got onto the coach which then took us across the road to the Bella vista! We could have walked quicker and on the way home we did which was a good job as it took over an hour to get back through! If you really feel the need to go to this hotel then dont pay for the transfer as you can see the entrance to the hotel from the check in gate! The only consolation was the weather and the beach was great, the sea was clear and refreshing however this was not a 4 star hotel by any standards. The locals in the surrounding towns didnt make you feel welcome unless they knew you were english and they assume we have lots of money to spend. I would not recommend this hotel or Tunisia to anyone.

6 Thank Kelle80
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 July 2010

My partner, 11 year old daughter and I stayed at this hotel in July 2010 after a transfer from the Houda Golf and beach resort (as it was very very dirty),
The Bella Vista is straight across the road from the airport so you sit on the bus for 90 minuets then it takes 2mins to get to your hotel. We stayed in room 4014, which was much nicer than some of the rooms, our room had a separated bit for my daughter to sleep in, although the sofa she was meant to sleep on was brick hard.
The staff at the reception do not really speak good English and didn't explain much to us on our arrival or give us any information about the hotel or time tables for the meals etc.
The hotel is under staffed so there is always long que’s for everything, at night there is 1 bar that serves spirits with 2 bar men working so you can imagine how long the que’s are for a drink for 1600 people. Even when you do get to the front of the que, they never have enough glasses so you have to wait till the glasses are collected and washed before you get a drink, they often run out of cups so sometimes it's hard to even get a cup of coffee.
The hotel do quite a lot for young kids but only for under 5 year olds.
In the dining hall they only bring out 1 tray of chips at a time so the que gets massive and your dinner gets cold while waiting for more to be brought out, then you have to que for a drink, 1 person giving out the ice-cream so that is also another long wait.
If you want a bed next to the main swimming pool you'll have to be up at 6am, but some people were tipping the life guards to put bed out for them and also tipping the waiters to bring them there drinks, although this is not meant to happen.
In the afternoon, they have buffet style outside of pizza, pasta, burger and chips, We waited for over an hour for a pizza.
Not a lot of British in this hotel when we were there but loads of polish, russian, french, dutch, germans, Tunisians
My daughter wanted to use the internet but at 15dinar for an hour(approx £7) I thought that was expensive, however when she asked the reception staff they just said tomorrow, we went back the next day at 6.10pm and we again were told tomorrow and when I asked why they said the secretary goes home at 6pm with the code, so you can use it between 10-6pm, back the next day the same reception staff had the code and still could not get the internet to work so we gave up, however if you take your laptop I’m sure they have wireless connection in the lobby as we seen lots of youngsters on their laptops.
The entertainment staff work really hard and long hours, the entertainment manager Momo is very good and very approachable.
The hotel was 25 rooms over booked and found it impossible to keep our rooms for a late check out.
If this hotel employed more staff and had set times for lunch and dinner it would run a lot better.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank fraserbabe
York
Reviewed 16 July 2010

My Husband and I have just returned from a holiday staying at the Bella Vista Hotel Skanes Tunisia, this was our first and indeed will be the only visit in our lives to this country, we are not new to travel abroad and are not fussy people are well used to different hotels and varying standards , and appreciate that standards abroad are not the same as we are used to in this country. On arriving at the airport I went into the ladies toilet a cleaner opened the door for me, as soon as I came out she turned on the tap for me handed me a paper towel then promptly held her hand out for a tip !! And that seemed to be the case in Tunisia not particularly in this hotel ,but constant hassle to buy take you places to relatives shops etc and they change when you make it clear you dont want to !
The Bella Vista is just across the road from the airport about five mins walk so dont bother if you are booking this hotel paying for the transfer and waiting nearly an hour before the coach is ready to go for a two minute journey , check out time in this hotel is 1pm, and this meant for us nearly waiting three hours for our room as the hotel was fully booked , a really nice Tunisian lady called Mouna who is the customer relations person for this hotel warmly greeted us and showed us around , she is the best thing about this hotel working so very hard to try and help and please guests.
We were lucky to get one of the newer refurbished rooms of the hotel which was quite nice with sofa area etc, the rest of them look old and dated probably soon to be refurbished also. The amenities were fairly good especialy for children with waterslides play areas etc. Now the real complaint !!!
My husband and I as stated are not fussy used to repetative menus in hotels of this kind, we kind of expect it really and just get on with it, but this hotel well was really not good, we asked the Holiday Rep of our tour operator if anyone else was not happy and was told no other complaints, which we found out she was telling us lies as we soon met other English people who felt the same. After three days my husband was violently sick and rushing to the toilet with stomach pains , we also met others with similar symtoms , Our rep suggested too much sun maybe ?? My husband is still getting pains as I write this review it was definatly not the sun !!! One morning I went into the ladies toilet to find the SINK half full of thick vomit !!! Sorry to be so to the point but I am telling as it was, thats people not hotels fault I know , but the point is someone else had had course to empty the contents of their stomach during their stay !
The food was very often only just warm , and it was very evident the recycling of food from previous meals maybe of same day or day before, the meat was cheap cuts, chicken wings etc used , for the last three days we hardly dare eat any thing my husband still ill , and myself desparate to not be ill as we wanted to make that flight home, as its only on a Wednesday and a Sunday that the British tour operators fly here. The bar staff in the main bar fill empty water bottles from the soft drink dispensing machine and serve your coke fanta etc directly from these instead of cold from the machine, the beach bar we witnessed when they ran out of glasses we saw the staff collect swill with cold water only and the start using them again without even drying them !! I could go on !!
There is a train that is very close that will take you one direction to Monastir and the other to Sousse, some places of interest to see, but expect hassle from shop keepers to buy ! Rubbish on streets and quite smelly drains in places, but thats not my complaint its mainly the food at the Bella Vista it really is one of the worst we have ever experienced, they are however working hard to improve this situation and Mouna is trying so hard to please the guests, if you have booked for this hotel I do hope that things will have improved for you, maybe we were just unlucky ???
To cap all nothing to do with the hotel, on arriving back at Manchester airport on collecting luggage found my case combination lock was missing the luggage strap missing and the case zip open approx four inches, on opening found it had been tampered with vanity bag zip open etc and am missing a few things perfume and jewellery somewhere along the line there are some dishonest baggage handlers, we were the very first people to check in at Monastir airport for the flight ??? I think with this happening as well it has put me off Tunisia and will never return there ever !

1 Thank tonyjohno