“Never again will holiday in Tunisia !”

Le Soleil Bella Vista Hotel
Ranked #30 of 43 Hotels in Monastir
Reviewed 16 July 2010

My Husband and I have just returned from a holiday staying at the Bella Vista Hotel Skanes Tunisia, this was our first and indeed will be the only visit in our lives to this country, we are not new to travel abroad and are not fussy people are well used to different hotels and varying standards , and appreciate that standards abroad are not the same as we are used to in this country. On arriving at the airport I went into the ladies toilet a cleaner opened the door for me, as soon as I came out she turned on the tap for me handed me a paper towel then promptly held her hand out for a tip !! And that seemed to be the case in Tunisia not particularly in this hotel ,but constant hassle to buy take you places to relatives shops etc and they change when you make it clear you dont want to !
The Bella Vista is just across the road from the airport about five mins walk so dont bother if you are booking this hotel paying for the transfer and waiting nearly an hour before the coach is ready to go for a two minute journey , check out time in this hotel is 1pm, and this meant for us nearly waiting three hours for our room as the hotel was fully booked , a really nice Tunisian lady called Mouna who is the customer relations person for this hotel warmly greeted us and showed us around , she is the best thing about this hotel working so very hard to try and help and please guests.
We were lucky to get one of the newer refurbished rooms of the hotel which was quite nice with sofa area etc, the rest of them look old and dated probably soon to be refurbished also. The amenities were fairly good especialy for children with waterslides play areas etc. Now the real complaint !!!
My husband and I as stated are not fussy used to repetative menus in hotels of this kind, we kind of expect it really and just get on with it, but this hotel well was really not good, we asked the Holiday Rep of our tour operator if anyone else was not happy and was told no other complaints, which we found out she was telling us lies as we soon met other English people who felt the same. After three days my husband was violently sick and rushing to the toilet with stomach pains , we also met others with similar symtoms , Our rep suggested too much sun maybe ?? My husband is still getting pains as I write this review it was definatly not the sun !!! One morning I went into the ladies toilet to find the SINK half full of thick vomit !!! Sorry to be so to the point but I am telling as it was, thats people not hotels fault I know , but the point is someone else had had course to empty the contents of their stomach during their stay !
The food was very often only just warm , and it was very evident the recycling of food from previous meals maybe of same day or day before, the meat was cheap cuts, chicken wings etc used , for the last three days we hardly dare eat any thing my husband still ill , and myself desparate to not be ill as we wanted to make that flight home, as its only on a Wednesday and a Sunday that the British tour operators fly here. The bar staff in the main bar fill empty water bottles from the soft drink dispensing machine and serve your coke fanta etc directly from these instead of cold from the machine, the beach bar we witnessed when they ran out of glasses we saw the staff collect swill with cold water only and the start using them again without even drying them !! I could go on !!
There is a train that is very close that will take you one direction to Monastir and the other to Sousse, some places of interest to see, but expect hassle from shop keepers to buy ! Rubbish on streets and quite smelly drains in places, but thats not my complaint its mainly the food at the Bella Vista it really is one of the worst we have ever experienced, they are however working hard to improve this situation and Mouna is trying so hard to please the guests, if you have booked for this hotel I do hope that things will have improved for you, maybe we were just unlucky ???
To cap all nothing to do with the hotel, on arriving back at Manchester airport on collecting luggage found my case combination lock was missing the luggage strap missing and the case zip open approx four inches, on opening found it had been tampered with vanity bag zip open etc and am missing a few things perfume and jewellery somewhere along the line there are some dishonest baggage handlers, we were the very first people to check in at Monastir airport for the flight ??? I think with this happening as well it has put me off Tunisia and will never return there ever !

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tonyjohno

Reviewed 12 July 2010

The Bella Vista was,nt in our mind and others, that this hotel was'nt really geared up for British tourists! We did'nt expect to find English food particularly,just edible food really. All the meat served there seemed to us scrag end cuts! We managed on the salads all week really.There was sometimes a language barrier, most staff were multilingual, but we could'nt always get the point across. The hotel p.r. there was constantly trying to find out from us Brits.what exactly we would have like to have seen, she was actually and genuinly interested in helping us. This hotel in our minds was only a 3 star, definately not a 4 star rated. Dont expect good entertainment, it is'nt, mostly their Reps doing almost every show themselves(Not the Thomson Reps) Disappointing!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
11  Thank cheshireJimpy
Reviewed 24 September 2008

We was there from 29th of Aug till 9th of Sep,It is really nice hotel....
So hotel has reception with sitting....one bar inside,one piano bar,tunisian restaurant and coffee,reastaurace a la carte,main restaurant and beach club,pool bar and bar for night show and bar in disco....and everything in price of All Inclusive....and nice rooms also,where is big balcony,beds,bathroom with hair dryer,toilette,wardrobe with safety box (and its better to use it,u know not only chambermate coming to ur room and its 35 TND per 12 days so its something abt 20 EUR per 12 days),tv/sat,small table and chair....
Cleanlines was perfect. Food is the same as always,the biggest one is main restaurant but if u dont want go from beach there u can eat in beach club,where they has pizza and hamburger and few foods from main restaurant.
Animation is also good,but sometimes wht had to be funny isnt funny and wht hadnt to be funny was funny,but its normal....but their Lord of the dance show was really good....but they doesnt know how to dance latino,so its funny......
But the location of hotel is really good 30 mins to Sousse by train (tunisian says metro) and 10 min to Monastir and 300m from the airport....and dont worry the planes are not disturbing you....
Beach is nice,especially for children....if u are 150m from the beach u still have sea till knees.....
So this is ideal for young pairs,old people,and family with children....Enjoy ur holidays guys....Im hatting you tht u r going there...and me not :-))))))

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled solo
1  Thank AliceGrade
Reviewed 23 July 2008

I believe this hotel's problem is that it heavily uses overbooking to compensate for people not showing up. So I'd recommend that in the high season you double-check that you get the room you really booked in that very hotel and not offered a place in some other. Don't know how to really do that though :-) ...

Otherwise, the hotel is good for parents with children.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 July 2008

A Lovely hotel from the outside, teh lobby is beautiful, the shops are the same as when you are out shopping the hassle you to buy something.

The food is..... well not the best, the waiters are very keen to please and very friendly.

I took ice in my drinks one night and was ill for all the following week and for the following 3 weeks after returning home, i got Disentry, and had to have a doctor in my home for a day due to my illness, so please do not have ice cubes, the rest of my party were ill as well to varing degrees, but not as bad as me.

the drinks are lame and really not worth drinking.

do not go shopping alone, as the men can man handle you and litterally pull you into the shops, it can be scary, it happend to my daughter and I.

The entertainment... is easily the WORST i have ever encountered, its dreadful.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 October 2007

Got a last minute deal for 2 weeks. Nice and clean hotel. Food and Entertainment really geared up for a weeks stay as towards the end it
did get a bit boring.

Could fault the pool area always got a sunbed no matter what time of day and the surrounding areas are very clean.

We stayed in the old part of the hotel (rooms have 3 numbers) and it was nice quite basis but very clean and had everything you needed. However speaking to other guest who stayed in the new part seemed to have bigger room with sofa etc (these rooms have 4 numbers eg 4021) so if you get a choice ask for a new room.

If you dont have kids dont go during the holidays as I imagine it will be manic, however I do not think kids would ever get bored, entertainment team very good with them.

Trips - Went on the camel ride and booked through Fritz based in the Lobby. It was enjoyable but felt sorry for the camels. Quad biking was excellent very cheap and you are out for a few hours.

Bad points - I went with my mate and I would never recommend for an all girl group to go on their own, although everyone is really friendly unfortunately a few of the entertainment and bar staff took it to the extreme and hassled us night and day. Stupidly I also left my key in the safety deposit box on the last day and had £150 stolen,
took the cleaner to the police but wasnt much they could do so make sure you are careful. Gym has nothing really in it.

Good Points - very clean, very efficient, very relaxing.

Oh also this hotel is across the road from the airport, however I would not give this a reason not to book here as you here the occasional plane and get used to it in the end.

I am really glad I booked my holiday here despite the negative points
as the good points outweighted the bad. However now I have done Tunisia wouldnt go back the world is a too bigger place.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 September 2007

Nice hotel, friendly staff, reasonably good food. Hotel is slightly old and run down, but well looked after with good cleaning staff. Animation team enthusiastic, but more for giving shows than organising interactive events. Had a very pleasant stay!

Stayed: September 2007