“The water slides are a health and safety nightmare”

Sahara Beach Aquapark Resort
Ranked #4 of 43 Hotels in Monastir
Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

My husband, 4 year old son and I went for 1 week at the beginning of August. The beach made our holiday. I put our towels out there at 7 but I could have left it later and still got a place. The pool areas were totally overcrowded and we avoided them.

My biggest warning - the water slides. I went down the plug hole slide, flipped over, was badly disorientated and cracked my elbow and knee. My elbow is still in pain 2 weeks on. I am still waiting for a reply to my email of complaint. I saw water leaking from the joint of another water slide. The staff on the slides might as well not be there as they did not regulate them. I heard stories of toddlers in arms bands going down the plug hole slide, people going down when there was no running water, a teenage boy I spoke to cracked his head at the bottom and many others I spoke to were bruised. My 9 and 11 year old were on holiday in the UK - I'm glad they didn't come as i would have banned them from the slides and they would have been miserable. Thomas Cook and the large German, French and Russian tour operators have low if not no health and safety standards for these slides. A quick Google search will show you how often these types of companies are sued.

Pirates and Galleons trip - I loved El Jem colosseum but hated the cheesy pirate boat ride. As for tipping - just get on with it and tip, see it as part of the cost of the holiday. The highlight of our holiday was befriending a Tunisia family who showed us genuine hospitality and friendship.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank NicolaClareDean
Write a ReviewReviews (4,072)

Hotel
Pools excellent, drinks fine, rooms clean if small, basic, everyone gets a sea view. Food sometimes ok sometimes a bit iffy - you can live on it. Smokers corridoor on approach to dining room stinks. Watersports, jetski and paragliding absolute bargain prices. We found beach a bit grim, loads of seaweed and jellyfish and rubbish. Beach at monastir is better its the one the locals use but there are tourists there.

Staff - many rude, arrogant, shifty and dishonest whilst others kind and friendly. They generally become more friendly the more you tip them. Do not entertain booking a holiday here without allocating at least £15 per person per fortnight for tipping. Build this into your holiday costings or take it from me you WILL have a miserable time. Staff clearly know you are in a no win situation with complaints and will push their luck especially with women - trick is be firm the first time with any touchy feely behavior because give them an inch and they will take a mile.

Lifeguards - just assume there are none. they are useless and will spend more time chatting up your young daughters and getting your teenage lads to jump from the rocks than they will doing their job.

Best staff unsurprisingly are the ones most likely to get tipped ie restaurants, bars, and your cleaner. Worst are lifeguards, reception staff and the permanently miserable gits who staff the telegraph bar at the high pool.

Thomas cook - The thomas cook excursions are generally a rip off. Its so cheap to get taxis you can just go by yourselves. Get the hotel to call you a cab, dont get in it till you agree a price with the driver and get them to write it down they will probably try to con you. The cabs are stupid cheap. 4 people to monastir should be about 3 quid. Same to port el kantoui about 7 quid one way. Reps answer questions in a ive been asked that 5 million times today manner. - think Kenneth from Benidorm. Word of warning. Sahleen is the nearest village to the hotel and there is a free trip there. NOTHING is free in Tunisia. You will be taken to an air conditioned gift shop where the prices are about 3 times what they are everywhere else.

Outside your hotel. - Be brave - sahleen up the road is dead cheap and a locals area. Go see how they live and you may understand the tipping. It is not threataning in any way, indeed people are more polite in general than the hotel staff. Port el kantoui - tourist trap but clean and still cheap enough nice for a day out. Monastir - Smaller version of Sousse. You will get hassled from the minute you get there. Again be firm and keep walking if you dont want to go into the shops. Golden rule dont go in to, or put anything on, or let anyone put anything on you you dont want to buy. If you try something take it off before you start to barter. If you want to scare yourself go to the meat market outside the city walls. Your beef stew wont be the same again.

Sea is not clean anywhere we went. Cataman trip promised dolphins - we saw plastic bags and bottles.

Top Tip - Go to monastir first for an outing. There is a big shop calld the Yasmina centre in the town which is a fixed price shop. Here not only is there the bonus of a clean toilet, but you can also see the prices of goods to give you a point of reference for your bartering later.

So to sum up hotel is 3 star, dont expect more. animation ok, evening entertainment poor.
staff ok (just) food ok (just), pools fab. Outside cheap, barren, dirty, fun, entertaining, interesting, different.

Would we go back - maybe depends on the cost which i guess is why so many go in the first place.

N.B the only real trouble we experienced was as usual caused by drunk English chavs. This was only on the first 2 nights however and was pretty minor and coincidentally diddnt happen again once the world cup finished.

Once youve been you will understand the title.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank tompychomp
Reviewed 17 August 2014

We have just come back from a lovely weeks holiday at Sahara Beach and I would recomend it to anyone. Its a very family-orientated hotel and there are loads of great facilities. The food was great and so much choice and our waiter Ahmed was absolutley fab and we did tip him 20 dinar at the end of the week as all the waiters deserve tips as they work so hard for so little. The aqua park was great although very slippery floors and we saw about 10 people throughout the aftertoon slipping and banging their heads. The pools were clean and lovely, and you could always get a sunbed. The rooms were nice, a bit dated but it doesn't matter as we only got ready and slept in it. The beds were also really comfy. Spare blankets and pillows in the wardrobe although when I unravelled my blanket a pair of someones knickers fell out which were not mine so that obvioulsy wasnt spotted but I chucked them away so it was all ok! Cleaners were good, instead of tipping them everyday we bought them up fruit and coffee which they were very grateful for. Staff do like to be tipped but you don't have to. The transfer took 5 mins from Monastir airport! Overall it was a great holiday and we would definatley go again! Thank you Sahara beach for a lovely week :)

5  Thank Charlotte C
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

Just returned from sahara beach and we had a brilliant time. We were a family of 5 and my kids enjoyed this resort very much. They spent most of the time in the aqua park which was really good for both children and adults. The pools were very big and clean. Went to all of them but preferred the waterfall pool as my kids loved that one. The annimation pool was good but a bit loud for our liking. The relaxation pool is nice with the pool bar right next to it. Do try the horse riding and beach sports we did and it was amazing. The rooms are cleanned every day and are very basic and knew this before booking. We only slept in our room or changed clothes for eveining dinner, if you like spending time in your room when on holiday book else where . The food was not great but you never went hungry always found something to eat.The restaurant isn't a restaurant it's a big canteen. The waiters do a good job cause the amount of people there are too much for the waiters to handle. Our waiter was good every night got a Bottle of milk for our little one. The weather was brilliant for our week hitting 50c one day. The complex is huge and offers loads for everyone but the question is would I return? NO. I would return to Tunisia but not to sahara beach.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
7  Thank Shaz187
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Just got back after 2 weeks at Sahara beach ( 3rd visit) with my husband and daughter. Great facilities and staff; always a friendly and helpful atmosphere. Fantastic value for money and wonderful times haggling in the Medinas. This hotel caters for all. A special thank you to Khaled, our waiter, who works so hard and always has a smile on his face. Also to Ali for recommending some wonderful treatments in the Spa and for his daily friendly greetings. Also to Maissa and Marwa, on reception, for taking care of us at the wedding and for being so kind and caring. We hope to visit again soon. Missing it all already.

Room Tip: Ask for pool or sea view
3  Thank C L

Just returned from Sahara Beach,
All the reviews i had read were correct.
Rooms not ready on arrival, Rooms basic, Only one plug in room. Have to be up early to reserve sunbeds.basic evening entertainment
BUT,....
Lots of positives too,
Swimming pools lovely and clean
water park excellent for on site
Having your own table and waiter in dining hall all week
variety of food on offer- BBQ, soup, pancakes,ice cream, desserts chips,pizza ...the list goes on
staff friendly and a few dinars will make them happier and really look after you.
beach immaculate- sea crystal clear
cheap water sports
lots of daytime activities - darts-pool-table tennis-football-archery-volley ball and more

We have had a lovely time with temperatures hitting 52 degrees!!
We feel the rooms really do need a bit of TLC.but they were always clean. bed made ,clean towels etc.Air con is good and very qiuet.
Evening we really couldn`t sit and watch the entertainment but there are plenty of bars to go to.
Most bars did only serve in plastic ..... but a few do glass, You just need to learn as you go along,
I`m quiet fussy and would normally go 4 star but due to circumstances we had to down grade this year. It really is only 3 star but there only down to a few points that i`ve mentioned.
The place is big with it`s own shops bars, restuarants, 4 pools, beach, aqua park .......great holiday for children.

Room Tip: We had a end room which has a larger balcony and you get panaramic views of beach and pool. all othe...
2  Thank Smurfy1976
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Hi me and my girlfriend stayed in may from start to finish it was brilliant. All the staff was really kind and the respectful and took pride in what that they did. The hotel is massive the water park is really good too even the my girlfriend nearly drowned on the fish bowl lol her own fault. Food was really good you had your own table for your hole holiday and your own waiter who was brilliant bringing you your drinks. To all the people who complained on here most of you would not eat as good at home I paid £720 for two adults for one week we are going back next year in June and can't wait all you who have moaned please don't go again to a place like Tunisia as you just embarrass your country with your pathetic complaints in a country that so poor you make me so angry.

• Stayed: May 2014