“What can you say about Kuriat Palace that has not been said before?”
Review of Kuriat Palace

Kuriat Palace
Ranked #43 of 44 Hotels in Monastir
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“What can you say about Kuriat Palace that has not been said before?”
Reviewed 14 December 2010

I went to Tunisia with my wife and booked this hotel mainly due to how close it was to the airport and train station but also because of the price. We paid £60 for the two of us including breakfast for 7 days, which you can say is a bargain. The hotel itself is not amazing and nowhere near a 4 star but it is value for money. We went to Tunisia in December and were very fortunate that it was very quite, hence we had the swimming pool and Jacuzzi to ourselves for the entire stay, The water was nice and warm but please take a pair of goggles with you because they do seem to put in alot of chlorine in the water. The big problem I had with this hotel and Tunisia in a whole is the lack of English they spoke, they speak Arabic and French but alot of the workers could not understand us. Another tip is to take French or Arabic dictionary with you because they don’t even understand what a train or a taxi is, i had to actually draw a train to one taxi driver to show him where I wanted to go. Back to the hotel, the first day we had breakfast, it was awful, the eggs were roar and food was cold, luckily for me the next few days my wife took over and instructed to the chef exactly how she wanted the eggs, she would get the raw onions and tomatoes and show him how an omelette should be made, breakfast was worth the money, as the hotel, if i had paid a bit more money, then I would not have been happy, but for such less money, it was accountable.

The rooms are spacious but the beds are uncomfy, the first cleaner accused us of staling towels so we went and complained to the man at reception but he didn’t even understand what we said. That guy never once smiled, but fortunate for us , we were given two new housemaid who were lovely (could not speak English) but would clean our room very nicely. Btw, we wanted a double bed but were given two single beds put together. The room had a very small tv which was useless as everything was in French. The room had a lovely sea view with a balcony. Another tip, book the family room if you are a couple as its more spacious then the double rooms and is more or less the same price. The bar was very nice, there was also a sheesha place in the basement, which was very nice and cosy, the worker there was a gentleman and allowed us too heat some of our food that we got from outside in his kitchen.

As previously mentioned, the hotel is right next to the airports so don’t pay more then 4 dinars, otherwise walk. The taxi drivers will say £10 or 20 dinars but say no to them, and when going back to the airport, it would be better to walk as its only a 15 min walk. As we were close to the train station (right next to the airport) we would commute this way, you can go to Monastir and Souuse via the train and will only pay 1 dinar. Very cheap this way, recommend not to take taxis as they will rip you off. To go to port el kontoui, get a train from station to Souuse and then get a taxi to marina, don’t pay more then 4 dinars. Expect to haggle for everything. another tip , Don’t pay more then 40 dinars for women leather bags, they will quote you a ridiculous price and say it is very cheap for you English people, always quote a ridiculous price back to them.

My experience in Tunisia was very nice and the hotel was very nice but I would say mainly due to the fact that I did my research before of what to do and where to go and how much to pay. You can save alot of money and time if you prepare.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank FandA_2010

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Polish first
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 November 2010

I am not one for writing reviews, but I read before I went. I believe that each persons experience is different so my recommendation would be to go and see for yourself. What you may like and love may be another's man/woma's poison, so always judge for yourself and be wise.
I travelled alone to Tunisia and embarked at Monastir Airport, I was advised to pay no more than 10 dinar for a taxi to the hotel that is about 5 mins in the car but is within walking distance may be 15-20 mins. The taxi driver wanted at least 15 dinar and tried to spin me a sob story but if you stand your ground in a non agressive way you will come out the winner.
The hotel was very welcoming and looked clean and bright. The hotel receptionist (Man) did not appear to friendly but I looked past that and smiled and was very polite. I want to believe that my politeness throughout the week I was there won over the hearts of all those who worked there to the point that the receptionist refered to me as Miss Kuriat Palace 2010 and I did not have to part with any dinars for that promotion. It was just smiles, kind words and politeness that got me what I wanted.
The room was clean, the bed was very uncomfortable, but i slept, the decor was a littled dated and I thought it could be brought up to the 21st century with the state of the art living. There was a litlle tv in the room and the only english speaking channel was BBC World News. My room was swept, moped, bed made every day including towel change and the maids again were very respectful even though they could not speak English, I understood their gestures and they mine.
The food was not that great...there was not a variety, neither was there a different menu for each day, but it was edible. The resturants were not far away and the most you would pay for a three course meal would be 10-11 dinars including a drink.
I personally found the staff very accomodating, friendly and helpful and I would go back again to Kuriat Palace for a cheap one week break. It was value for money and worth every penny.
I did not go out on the beach or swim so I cannot comment.
The only downside to this hotel from my observation and experience, is that there is no drainage system and when it rains the water settles. Therefore the day I left it was like a monsoon and everyone got on deck to sweep the water from the reception area.
It is rated a 4 star and i dont really understand the criteria for rating but I would give it a 2 star.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank Precious48
London
Reviewed 28 September 2010

On arrival at Kuriat Palace we were given a twin room as i forgot to book a room with a double bed. I asked to change rooms but as it was late i was told that tommorow we could change. The Receptionist showed us to our room. I was reasonably happy with the room apart from the shower holder being broken. In The morning i asked to change rooms and we were given another room straight away. We were given a family room at no extra cost and believe me it was Huge and we were very happy with the room.

The bed was huge..we had sofas...a dining table.a balcony..although t.v was tiny.

I have no complaints with the room it was cleaned everyday although they seem to change the towels late in the afternoon and not when the room is cleaned. The air con worked well and there was an empty fridge. No tea making facilities but we were aware of this and brought our own travel kettle and cups. The view was ok. Could have been much better if the gardens were better looking.

The major problem with the hotel is the food! the same thing everyday and no flavour and ingredients were not of good qaulity. We spoke to many guest and made friends and i would say 90% agreed with the food problem. The queues for eggs or omlettes were not at all bad however the omlettes were a joke....just plain even if u ask for something to be added they look at you like your mad..waiter service is hit and miss...sometimes u may get the napkin sometimes you may have a table cover and sometimes you may even get a clean table its kinda like that. The waiters rarely ask if your enjoying your meal im sure they know its because your not enjoying. on the other hand the People complaining about the waiters english levels make me laugh i mean the country is arabic and speaks french....do ou expect a tunisian person to compain that we dont speak arabic or french...dont be so arrogant....

We also found the lighting in the hotel poor they did not switch on the ceiling lights and this made for a dim light. Another major thing was the swimming pools. Outdoor pool - Spacious but very cold.....Indoor Pool - advertised as heated and i can assure you it was freezing cold.....Jacuzzi - first time was fine second and third time.....my eyes were on fire as i was not the only one to realise the bleach was way too much u could smell it and it burned ur eyes...it has also whitened my shorts! The Spa ....Not bad....not good but price is reasonable....we had the full service and my wife is a beautician but even i could tell these people are not the best trained in the world. Even so i recommend the seaweed and Hammam but dont bother with anything else. I also got my haircut in the hotel...WOOPS...big mistake.

The Hotel also needs renovation as most people have said it is outdated and i dont know if its the solution they use to clean but it kinda smells.

The staff themselves are absolutely fine...helpful and friendly

the tunisian people are crazy and will try all sorts of tricks to get your money....some people find this very annoying....but not me. The world would be a boring place if we were all alike...you need to be firm and have your wits about you but also enjoy the experience.

The beach is just beautiful...im half mauritian...ive lived in mauritius for 3 years and the sand on the beach at monastir was incredibly soft and pure. The water was very clear too however i found it a little bit cold but im used to the warmer waters of mauritius.

We did not pay for sunbeds or matresses...we went parasailing which was nice and wasnt to expensive.

The activities and evening entertainment was very good.

We also tried the chica but the lights kept going out ...some sort of electrical problem.

Dont get me wrong i loved Tunisia...Liked the poeple....Loved My hotel room itself.

But the food was sooooo bad its incredible. I can live with the out of date decor and the hit and miss waiter service but the food was way below what you expect from a 4 star.

Buy your spirits duty free if you like a drink as 2 red label whisky costs £7
Beer is not so expensive and nice too around £1.40

We stayed at Kuriat palace for 7 days .....ate twice next door...incredible food and hotel...but expensive at £35 for two plus drinks

We spent one night in another hotel.

We ate dinner twice at the Kuriat both times was horrible.
And had around 4 Breakfasts at the Kuriat...again horrible.

My advice is Go to a newly built hotel dont go here it has a bad reputation for food and its very true......i read the reviews and it was worse than i had anticipated.

Do a desert Safari it was amazing but tiring.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Monastir hotels

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2010

Having read some of the reviews before going on my trip I was a little apprehensive, however it really wasn't that bad. Decor is a bit outdated, we had a garden view room. The room was quite large n clean not quite up to four star standards, no irons or hairdryers and poor lighting, but the a.c works well in the rooms. It is very close to the airport, walking distance and the taxi drivers will rip u off from the airport. Don't be afraid to haggle with the taxi drivers from the hotel to Monastir we paid about 6-8 dinar and to Sousse about 8-10 dinar, but expect to pay up to 5dinar extra at night. The food at the hotel isn't brilliant but for 12dinar per person for the buffet at dinner its not too bad. The food at the bar by the beach is a bit better. There is a variety of entertainment throughout the day and the staff were really friendly and try to involve everyone and considering the hours they work it was amazing to see them remain so enthusiastic the whole week. There are also reps at the hotel that sell activities like quad biking, again don't be afraid to haggle with them, as we managed to knock up to 10-20dinars off the price. The pools were clean, but it was a bit hard to get sun loungers, however we didn't have to pay for the mattresses etc as mentioned in previous reviews, so maybe question them about that. The shopping in Monastir and Sousse was an interesting experience, you will get hassled a lot! Lots of ceramic items and an immense amount of fake stuff! Monastir was cheaper and more friendly. The restaurants are better in the marina's than the medina's - couscous was really nice - pizza is awful! Really would not reccomend the henna tattoo's at all, the women are rude and demand a ridiculous amount of money, for henna that made my skin itchy! Overall, we had a great relaxing holiday with a range of activities but not so much sightseeing and a week was about the right amount of time to spend there.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Saf22
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2010

Hotel is OK. Comfortable and clean.Lots of pink marble and nice receptoin area. It just seems to be struggling to keep up with the times. It also seemed so qiuet during peak season. I went with my partner and three teenage kids form the UK. The main problem are the Gadaffi like reception staff. There was a trio of them on rotation the week we stayed there. First I thought they were unhelpful and uncommunicative cos they couldnt speak english but after a week we came to the conclusion that they were just rude and seemed to look down there noses at all british travellers. They did not give any advice - we had to figure everything ourselves.Difficult as we couldnt find any other british to compare notes with. Most of the reviewers have been very accurate about food and taxis so heed their advice.
Lovely,lovely beach - nice pools too.Shops need a taxi ride and haggling every day does get you down so you need to create your own entertainment if you stay at the hotel for a day or more and not go out. So please take a cd player and your own music, and your own kettle/mug and adaptor plug (the tea is awful and costly and served in very small cups.) Satellite channels are all german,french and tunisian. You have to pay for wireless connection -1/2 hour costs the eqivalent of £ 2.50 - you can get a 10 hr pass though which we found out on the last day via another kid. If you dont take your laptop -you have to share 1 computer with all the other guests which you have to pay for.

Go to Monastir centre the second day of your visit -taxis right outside hotel gates - and go to Yasmina Shopping Centre -there is a supermarket there and stock up on crisps,biscuits and drinks as you have to pay for these at the hotel and it is more expensive at there. There are some fixed price shops here if you dont like haggling.
If you have teenagers go to nearby Port Al Kantonia.. there is a zoo,water park and themepark. Nice marina with boat rides - about 45 min drive away via Sousse. Easy to get round foot and nice places to eat. Lively at night till midnight - easy to get a taxi back to Kurait Palace in Monastir. More than 4 passengers need two taxis so bear that in mind when budgeting and it gets more expensive after 7pm.

Maids were lovely - there is a little old women maid there if you see her leave some money for a tip cos she is the only one who welcomed us and said BonVoyage at the end...the reception staff did not even bat an eyelid when we left. No goodbye - we even had to ask them about checking out - they didnt seem bothered. We never saw them smile once.. Sack them and promote the maid!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
Kendal, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2010

This was my 1st trip to Tunisia, and was really looking forward to it. Hoping to have a lovely time from start to end...this was however, not the case!

Thankfully told by a Thomson rep that the hotel was actually across the road from the airport and was within walking distance! And to pay no more than 7dinar for a taxi. But we were told by drivers it would cost 20dinar for a journey which was less than 400 meters way!
Upon arrival at the hotel, initial room was twin bed and overlooking a tin roof when we had paid for a double with a sea view. Complained, and staff at reception were useful enough to give us a room which actually met those requirements...until further inspection the next day!

On the 1st morning, we went to breakfast to find limited food to eat, much of it had flies on it and did not look up to a good standard, juice offered was horrible also. Later that day we both had diarrhea and were ill from breakfast and decided not to eat there anymore!
We ventured out to look for other places but found Monastir town was very built up and NOT a tourist area, we furthered to Sousse and this also was NOT - except a few shops and markets.

After a fortunate spot, we got a train car from Sousse to Port El Kantoui which was lovely! Plenty of places to eat, lots of english tourists, shops and a beautiful beach and all within walking distance.
Annoyingly Kuriat palace was at least 45mins to an hour away in a taxi and costs 20 dinar, so we would have found it hard to travel there every day for food!!

After returning to the hotel that evening, we realised the room had dead mosquitoes which had clearly been there before we were given the room. There was an ants nest, mould on the shower curtains, air conditioning which did not work for the whole night before and lots of noise from airplanes flying over! A rather sleepless night for two days at this hotel.

We ended up switching to Houria Palace in Port El Kantoui, and never had a problem! We finally enjoyed our holiday after 2 days of stress.

Overall, the hotel was not a 4*, i would say it was a 2* or 3* at a push! Food terrible, room unlivable, location was terrible, nowhere to eat (unless you stay in hotel or travel to Port El Kantoui) and airport across the road was very noisy.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Brilliantbrunette5
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2010

just returned from kuriat palace we were the only english couple there and not very good english spoken there. lovley beach lots of jelly fish in sea was very hot .no evening entertainment apart from kids disco had to get cabs everywhere had great time but wouldnt recomend it to anyone .hotel was very clean just bit dated staff were nice.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple