“Excellent stay, great staff and a fun holiday”

Monastir Center Hotel
Ranked #30 of 43 Hotels in Monastir
“Excellent stay, great staff and a fun holiday”
Reviewed 10 July 2013

Arrived at the hotel with reservations after reading the reviews, however, we checked in the, the room was large, clean, nice view over the garden/pool had everything we needed. The staff were amazing, the Animateur team (entertainment) made us feel so welcome and the kids had a ball, they learned our names and made us feel welcome. The food is good, although not a great deal of variation day to day but for a weeks stay it was fine, the town itself has lots to see, but yes, there are done run down parts, if you look past that to the people, the shopping, the beaches, medinas, boat trips etc you'll have a great time if you're willing to get involved!

• Stayed July 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
southampton
Reviewed 10 July 2013

After arriving at Monastir Center we had to wait 5 hours for our room to be ready, this was by no means the hotels fault but because of the previous occupants. We had low expectations on arrival due to what we read on various websites and I think this made our stay more pleasurable. Our room was clean as was most parts of the hotel, and our towels were changed daily. I thought we were extremely lucky considering previous comments on here.

The surrounding area is not ideal but is safe to walk around during the day, with the beach and market center just a stones throw away and a supermarket and shops even closer ( I was surprised to find my daily newspaper!). Locals build as they can afford it so expect to see half built properties and rubble everywhere. Overall our holiday was made by the people, with the hotel team being very helpful.

Daily activities within the resort include Yoga, Aqua Gym, Table Tennis, Darts, Dance Classes at pool side and Much much more. If your not one for getting involved they will pester but only because they want you to be a part of this experience.

Willy, Max, Mario and Sam where all brilliant and are fantastic with the kids animation box. They worked so hard to keep us all entertained and must be praised for this.(although thier music selection is limited.)

The food selection in the hotel was okay, I am a very fussy eater and found I was easiily accomodated for. Its not a place that is filled with burgers and nuggets but there is a fair selection of salads, meats, fish and dairy produce daily. On your first day the hotel will issue you with a card for the restruant and you are allocated a table for the duration of your stay.

The resort caters for mainly German, French and English holiday makers, but in saying that, at weekends it has many Tunisian occupants, which for me says its a good hotel if locals stay there. The German and French holiday makers are mainly families and very easy going, we made several friends after breaking the language barrier even if we did struggle to understand tham at times lol.

The hotel also offers excursions, such as camel, horse and donkey riding, water sports and much more.

We had a fantastic time and would highly recommend this as a great place to stay, However you must remember it is a poor country and the streets are not the cleanest of places, they are slowly trying to build the surrounding area and make improvements.

Thanks for a great time Monastir Center !

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank deviantjoker
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 5 April 2013

The hotel is located in the center of Monastir and sea front line surrounded by shabby residential buildings. The vast majority of hotel visitors are either tunisians or from Algeria/Libia.Please expect noisy street, a lot of smoking people dressed into sportive uniform in the lobby and a high level of dirt.
Stay maximum 1 day taking 50g of strong alcohol before the breakfast otherwise food poisoning is guaranteed.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
5 Thank Alex F

Travellers are raving about these Monastir hotels

Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 November 2012

We had a very disappointing holiday Monastir Centre, Tunisia and would strongly advise you to avoid it. It is set in a remote, run down area; the small town, the roads and the beaches are full of rubbish and falling down. The hotel is also in a dreadful state of disrepair: tatty carpets, walls in need of painting, broken toilets and showers. The 'all inclusive' was very restrictive even to the point that if you wanted water you were given a really tiny plastic cup and in high temperatures that was far from enough........but be warned, the water is likely to make you ill and if it doesn't, then the water in the pool will..! Lots of people had upset stomachs and had to stay near to toilets when they should have been enjoying the sunshine! There were not enough sunbeds for all the guests so people got up at 4am in the morning to put their towels on them and then prompty went back to their rooms, leaving the towel as a sign that this bed was theirs!! So if you lie in and amble down to the pool after breakfast there is nowhere to sunbathe. Don't book through SUNSHINE HOLIDAYS either, as when you complain you won't get anywhere with them. Don't be fooled by the pictures on the web either!

Room Tip: There are just a few rooms like the pictures shown on the web; the rest are a much lower standard. W...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Christine K
Kendal, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 October 2012

I've always taken Trip Advisor reviews with a pinch of salt, thinking people only write to complain and seldom to praise. But this hotel was a bad as they say - and more!
After a 12 hour light dely and a horrendous transfer I arrived (alone) at 3am with only one cabin-sized suitcase which the porter insisted on carrying (it weighed all of 5 kilos). On entering the room which smelled rank, he refused to leave until I gave him 'kroner'. I didn't have any £ coins so I turned out my purse to show I had only silver and he spat on the floor. I pointed at it but he stalked out saying he'd see me tomorrow, so I covered it with toilet paper and left it for the cleaner (it was still there next night).
The wash hand basin was coming off the wall, the shower plug was clogged and filthy and the whole place STANK. The fridge didn't work at all and it took three days for management to install a new one. The bed was ultra hard. The hair dryer had no cover so the wires were exposed. I tried twice to talk to the manager but he ignored me and turned to talk to a group of Germans both times - a really rude man.
Instead of a garden view I overlooked a decrepit falling down bomb site of a hotel with rubbish piled high and a sagging verandah, boys on mopeds used the road outside as a speed track. Having said that, the people who did have a room overlooking the pool area were kept awake at night by the 'animation' and singing in German which went on till late.
All the 'entertainment' was in German or French and the drinks resembled nothing I've ever tasted in a British bar, vodka, gin and bacardi all came out of the same bottle of a filthy-tasting white spirit - quite vile.
There were too few sunbeds for the number of guests even though it was late September, but the pool was clean enough and nicely warm. There was a small portion of beach set aside for the hotel which was very clean and pleasant, the beach is in within easy walking distance even for me at age 73. I could have walked to the Ribat but being lazy just took a yellow taxi for 3 dinar.
I'll post some photos later.
All in all I'd say don't go there.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
5 Thank Barbara S
Croydon, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 October 2012

A group of us travel to tunisia to a hotel call Monastir Center the rooms smell so bad we could not sleep we call down to reception but was told there was now more rooms available the food was so bad i had to go to the hospital because i developed salmonella i was told i was not going to get any of our money we paid £3000.00 and had the holiday from hell the travel agent in London said they wrote to the company and they said now one else was sick in the hotel which was not true we had to pay an extra £530.00 to spend at least the weekend in hammammett do not go to the hotel Monastir Centre because they do not like when you complain

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Lorraine M
X
Reviewed 17 September 2012

The hotel is very old and desperately needs renovating. According to the brochure from Tunisian Tourist Office, the hotel has 3 stars (not 4, like some travel companies state). The room I was in, was nice, but the lavatory was not functioning very well, everything was old and pretty much worn out (including the air-conditioner, which hardly functioned). The staff were friendly, but the service is not very good unless you tip. The room and the hotel facilities were clean (for local standards). The room itself was non-smoking, but people smoked in the bar and reception area.

The food was OK, most of the dishes either did not look fresh to me or were not tasty, however there was enough choice and you did not stay hungry. The dessert was good (fruit, cakes). I did not have any stomach problems, but I was very selective with food and did not mix many foods in one meal. There was also grill at the pool at lunchtime, you could have your meal there. As I have understood from people who had checked in a couple of weeks before me, there were huge problems with food supply and cleanliness of the restaurant, but at some point the management started controlling the restaurant and it improved significantly.
All-inclusive drinks were good (wine, beer, soft drinks, etc), but coffee and tea were horrible (unless you happen to like instant coffee).

The pool is nice and is cleaned every day. I was lucky to travel after the main season, so the hotel was not very full, and there were no problems in getting a spare seat by the pool. There was animation program or disco every day, but I did not take advantage of this offer.

A big disappointment was the beach. It is a city hotel, so the beach across the street is extremely well attended by the locals (is OK with me) and was covered with trash (is absolutely not OK). As a way out, I took a train to Mahdia Beach a couple of times (a two-way ticket is slightly more than 3 dinars and the travel time is around 1 hour). Another opportunity is Skannes (10-15 Minutes by Taxi, train,or bus), but the beach in Mahdia is nicer.
The whole city of Monastir (as well as Sousse and most other places I saw) look very worn out, and are covered with waste. I do not know if this is true of Tunisia in general nowadays.

I found the local people friendly and helpful, however, one should never forget about common sense and caution when traveling.

All in all I would not recommend Monastir/Scannes and this hotel for people who are used to European standards of vacations/hotel. But if you still go, go off-season, not in July or August.

Room Tip: I had a room on the fourth floor overlooking the pool (main building), the room and the view from th...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled solo