“Economy inn = Underdeveloped inn”
Review of Economy Inn

Economy Inn
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Alfred
Economy Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Alfred
New York, NY
“Economy inn = Underdeveloped inn”
Reviewed 24 August 2008

This is a family owned business. The mother and daughter are very nice and attentative. However, the amenities are very poor. We had to stay in Alfred, NY for one week. The rooms are NOT newly renovated as stated in the local advertisement circulars. There are stains on the mattresses, unfinished plywood baseboards, stains in the drop ceilings. The furniture looks very cheap; as if they were picked up curbside on garbage collection day. You have to bring everything you will possibly need. I suggest that you bring your own pillows, sheet, toiletries, iron, etc.). Act as if you're going camping. On the last day of our stay the sewer backed up into the bathtub around 5 in the morning. The stench was unbearable. We had to gather all of our belongings and place them in the car. Thankfully, we never unpacked because there was no closet and as mentioned before the furniture was undesirable. We had to get ready in another room located on the other side, upper level of this inn. Two days prior, in the afternoon there was very low water pressure which turned out to be that there was no running water. I notified the front desk, which I had to walk to because I was unable to reach them via phone. I was told that they were having problems with their plumbing and that they called a plumber to rectify the problem. I believe that we should have been informed of this problem in order to plan accordingly. I found that their communication/ customer satisfaction ability was very limited. The father seems to be the head of this operations and he seems to have the final say. His English skills also seem very limited (he speaks Urdu). Therefore it was difficult to convey what was going on with our stay to him. He came across as a take it or leave it type of person. We stayed at this location because we weren't planning on being in the room other than to sleep. Needless to say we slept fully clothed and regretted staying at the Economy Inn.
I visited several rooms including the house and apartments for rent and they are all in need of renovations. My recommendation is to pay extra money and book early in order to get a reservation at the Saxon Inn, located right on AU's campus. I hope that the daughter will be able to utilize her future education in hotel hospitality/ management and transform her family's inn to a less seedy and more pleasant establishment. I wish them well. However, as for you my fellow traveler, be warned if you are considering a stay in this establishment. My husband and I were extremely disappointed with our stay at the Economy Inn.

• Liked — The best thing about the accommodation was the proximity to AU and the friendliness of the daughter.
  • Disliked — The ACCOMMODATIONS!
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank nxj321

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Connecticut
Reviewed 20 February 2007

I've never been motivated to write reviews of places I've stayed at in the past, but my experience at this inn was so positive that I feel obligated to write a short note in hopes that it will encourage more people to stay there. I arrived quite late at the inn in the midst of a snow storm, and the hotel owners were working hard shoveling to try to to keep the driveway clear of snow. I got into a conversation with them and they unexpectedly invited me in to share a delicious dinner with them. I tried to give them some homemade applesauce I had in my car in return, but they wouldn't accept it. It's rare to find people who are so warm, friendly and generous - certainly above and beyond what I was expecting when I arrived that night worn out from a night of driving in the snow. On top of that, my room was very clean and carefully maintained, and this inn was by far the cheapest around - but most importantly the owners are genuinely wonderful people!

• Stayed February 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
3 Thank Kristen64
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alfred
Best Western Maple City Inn
#3 of 4 in Hornell
Budget Inn
Budget Inn
#2 of 3 in Wellsville

Been to Economy Inn? Share your experiences!