“Horrible service”

Ranked #16 of 33 Hotels in Port El Kantaoui
Bergen, Norway
“Horrible service”
Reviewed 14 August 2014

this is not a 5 star hotel. in the first room we got the toilet was not working, could not lock the terrace windows and the minibar did not work. we switched rooms and got a much nicer room, in this room with a view over the highway. there was much noise from other hotels and the traffic. we found insects in our roof many many small crawlers. I called the reception two times and the never came. so we had to take care of it ourselves. the next day the insects were back and we tried the reception again, we had to get really angry to make them come up and take care of the problem. and the way they did that was by brushing them down to the floor, they returned to their point in an hour. in the room service they took our order and called back 15 minutes later and said they didn't have what we wanted. next day when we called them i told them what we wanted and how, they told me to call back in 10 minutes. and it was miniature portions. overall a horrible experience. and when we asked the reception for directions, they mislead us and we had been walking for 20 minutes in the wrong direction. this happened 3 times. really unhelpful employees. the overall personnel are not helpful and pretend to listen just to get you away from the reception. we are two 26 year old people who has been traveling around the world, and we have not ever experienced this kind of bad service. we both have been working in the hotel business for ten years, and this is not how a hotel is supposed to be. we rate this hotel at a 2 tops.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Hilde F

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
  • Arabic first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Romford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Ok. Just back from a week stay with my 3 yr old daughter and my wife. Would I stay here again?? Yes, I would. Here are my top comments:-

1. The accommodation we had allocated was clean and acceptable for a weeks' stay. Some of the decor was dated and we did not look at the superior upper level rooms, but heard from a couple who insisted on getting an upgrade after facing huge delays waiting for their standard room to be made up, and said the more modern rooms were to a high standard.

2. The all inclusive restaurant was acceptable and the waiting staff were all friendly and went out of their way to help. Yes, there were queues for the eggs/omelette griddle, but you didnt have to wait for ages. The chef would do fried eggs on request. People have grumbled about the food being spicy, bland, unappealing etc...... this is not a 5 star european hotel and do not expect the standard of all inclusive that you would get in spain, majorca, etc..... however, the food is of good quality and as a meat eater i always found plenty of choice for main courses, with nice north african style stews, braised meats, couscous, rice and tunisian specialities. Chips and pizza were on hand to keep my daughter from going hungry, and there was always a good selection of pasta, spaghetti, meatballs, pasta sauce etc......salads were plentiful, fresh and varied but started to get a bit samey at the end of a week, but salad is salad right.....

3. Some of the reviews on here have been very negative about the food and the standard/quality but I dont think these are justified. If you want an english fry up and chips every day then Tunisia is probably not for you. If you are prepared to be a little adventurous wit your tastes then you will not go hungry. Bear in mind that you wont find a bottle of hp brown sauce or tomato ketchup on the table, and some of the main dishes are spicy, but this is North Africa so what do you really expect? Keep an open mind and you will not go hungry.

4. Even my wife who is a vegetarian and does not eat fish or sea food found something to eat at breakfast, lunch and dinner, so it cant be that bad!!

5. Breakfast was fine. There is cereal available, plenty of bread, croissants, fresh fruit, yoghurt etc. A tip if you have fussy kids.... pack a tesco variety pack of cereal for them at breakfast!

6. Towards the end of the week we found the 2 other restaurants that served snacks/pizza / drinks etc down by the beach and nr the pool. Use these as it does break up the manotity of using the main restaurant all week, and it is quite nice to eat outdoors from time to time.

7. I cannot comment on the a la carte restaurant as with a 3 yr old we didnt get opportunity to sample this side of the hotel.

8. I felt that on balance there were things that could have been improved, but on the whole I was happy with the hotel, the food, the standard of accommodation and had a great stay.

9. The evening entertainment was fine. My daughter loved the mini disco. Be warned the cheesy dated music will drive you mad after a week of the same every night but all in all it was ok and kept us occupied.

10. You can walk out of the hotel to port el kantoui and this takes about 25 mins. Beware the traffic and crossing the road though. You dont get major hassle from shop keepers - certainly no worse than i experienced in turkey or other resorts! But do keep your wits about you!! If you get hassled be prepared to be firm in your dealings with people and walk away.... but generally you can deal with the banter in a good humoured way and keep smiling!!

11. We heard negative reviews about one or two of the organised excursions and we only went on the medina ramble and a 1/2 day camel trek. Both were ok and good value for money. I would recommend the camel trek- very close to the hotel and good fun. Medina ramble was ok to see a medina / market but was too hot for my little girl and we ended up breaking away from the group and catching a cab back to the hotel, - beware no child seats in taxis; driving and taking a cab trip is abit of an eye opener as no one seems to follow any highway rules! One taxi ride to get my daughter back to the hotel was enough and I would not recommend getting into vehicles other than tour coaches etc.

12. Go to tunisia, keep your mind and eyes open and you will have a fantastic time. Bear in mind it is a different holiday experience to mainland spain or other westernised resorts, but the more that us brits go to these places and tell hotels and tour operators what standards we expect from our holidays then things will only get better. I am overall very pleased with my booking and my holiday in Tunisia and would go back again, but probably would opt for ibiza/ spain, next year and perhaps
Try tunisia again in a year or two!!

11.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
10 Thank andrew l
Tralee, Ireland
Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

I stayed in June, not my choice as I was with a group. I had stayed before (4 other times) and can only say it has deteriorated. Although marked as a 5 star, I appreciate it is a different rating system to Ireland. Main problems- dirty pool area, plastic cups in pool, unimaginative food buffets, insufficient water at breakfast, it was brought to buffet a bottle at a time. Its hidden under table cloth if you need some. Also only two bottles of shampoo doled out over two week stay. Worst problem were the obnoxious reception staff with exception of one very efficient woman. I found I had to argue with them over any issues. On one occasion I was kept waiting in lobby in full view of reception for 20 mins to be told by male receptionist he had forgotten me. Animation aqua gym staff are not trained and someone could get hurt. Plus points- professional and very helpful doorman, nice waiting staff, excellent facials and masage, clean rooms and friendly housekeepers. Internet is very expensive and businesd centre has no printers.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these Port El Kantaoui hotels

St Austell, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

First comment is this is not a 5* hotel. Check in was efficient and quick and room was ready on arrival although our junior suite did not have 2 beds for our children, this was however rectified straight away without any fuss. We did have a small issue with our our room door lock which took a few days to sort. The room was clean and large over looking the pool and out towards the sea and was cleaned every day. A tip to the room maid however did not seam to achieve anything extra so to speak. Food was ok with something to eat every day, although still don't quite understand carrots and cauliflower for breakfast. The poolside restaurant for lunch was the worst for service with a very grumpy head waiter who has obviously not been taught how to smile. Beech restaurant was nice to eat in as there was always a cool breeze and food was good and main waiter was lovely. Be aware that as all inclusive customers you will be second best to half board customers even after tipping!! At busy times you will queue for drinks in the main bar unless you are half board!! The al a carte restaurant food was good although the experience was ruined by extremely poor service. Evening entertainment was poor compared to other resorts we have been to recently. Nice to be able to walk to shops and marina in the evenings. No real hassle outside the hotel we all felt very safe. Overall we had a pleasant holiday which provided value for money for what we paid as a family but would not return to this specific hotel but would come back to Tunisia again.

Just returned from this hotel following a 2 week family holiday. Check in was efficient and quick, although if took 3 days to get a problem with our door lock fixed. Our room was a junior suite which over looked the pool. A large room although dated. Cleaned every day. Food was Ok but as previous reviews a bit repetitive and not sure why carrots and cauliflower where needed at breakfast. Service in the main buffet restaurant was good once you tipped a specific waiter each day. Service in the pool side restaurant at lunch time was poor with a miserable head waiter!! Evening entertainment was again Ok. Pool area was fine with plenty of sun beds. Beech was good with again plenty of sun beds. Be prepared to

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Paul Prophet B
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Booked this hotel without much thought, the arangement was for 14 nights, which I loved, and it was a 5 star hotel with a nice value for money on paper. I took the all inclusive as I got addicted to it in Egypt.
I wasn't dissapointed, rooms were clean, view of the pool was nice (if you get it), pool was really nice.
The beach sand is perfect - almost white and very fine, your feet will love it. The sea is ok, nice temperature, but some jellyfish may spoil it.
Food was great, and there was lot's of it, so you won't go hungry.
The service is a bit slow and lacking, but if you start tipping the staff, it improves at the spead of light. That's maybe my only serious complaint.
Wifi is free, but very slow. Very. Slow.
The animation team is...well...they're ok, Rabii Toutou is the best of them all.
You have golf and tennis courts, animation team organizes some activities during the day (darts, archery, waterpollo in waist deep part of the pool).
In the evenings there are also some activities, but every week is the same. Sunday is karaoke - best thing ever.
I liked it, and will probably return, maybe even next year.
Port El Kantaoui is a small town, 25 min on foot, but there are taxis and line taxies (louage) so there's no hassle.
Hassle in and around shops is managable, Egypt was much worse

Room Tip: Tip the guy that shows you to your room to get a room overlooking the pool
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank svrdlans
Bielefeld, Germany
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Booked this through Alltours and had a very nice week. We paid around £400 for one week HB including flights and transfers and I have to say for what we paid it was well worth the money. We could have paid an extra £100 each to upgrade to All Inclusive but I am glad that we chose not to. I believe we probably spent about £25 each on stuff that were not included in the Half Board package and when you are paying for drinks you get served much quicker.
The rooms were well maintained and clean even if the whole hotel was a little dated.
The private beach was lovely and the pool area was beautiful but was occasionally spoilt by activities. On one occasion an OAP lady sunbathing was smacked across the face with a flying waterpolo ball and the staff seemed to find it funny. The evening entertainment was atrocious and the local area was not really up to much which is why I have only given a 3*. Wifi was not very good but was free. Hassle in shops is much worse than Turkey.

Room Tip: Buy 8 litres of water in local supermarket for price of 1 in hotel.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank charlie r
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

Just spent 2 weeks all inclusive here with the kids. Superior room with pool/sea view. Fabulous hotel, room was beautiful, fantastic view. Room cleaned every day, service was great. Good selection of food at buffet for breakfast, dinner & tea. 2 outdoor restaurants, one beside the pool & the other at the beach serving pizza, Chips, burgers, salad etc. The one beside the pool was very slow service. Plenty of activities throughout the day for adults & kids. Aqua aerobics, water polo, archery, crazy golf, tennis, darts, pool, table tennis. Fab pool & only a 5 min walk to the lovely beach at the back. Plenty of water sports to do. Indoor pool & jacuzzi also available & Spa which is great value. Evening entertainment every night, was ok, could do with improving. 5 mins in taxi to the Marina, lots of shops & restaurants in the area (lovely). Overall a fantastic holiday. Amazing bargains to be had with a bit of haggling. Would defo go back.

Stayed August 2014
Iberostar Diar El Andalous
Iberostar Diar El Andalous
#2 of 33 in Port El Kantaoui
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,637 reviews

Been to El Mouradi Palace? Share your experiences!