“Execelent value for money”

El Mouradi Palm Marina
Ranked #5 of 33 Hotels in Port El Kantaoui
Reviewed 16 June 2014

We just came back 2days ago from two weeks stay in room 511 and it was our first time in Tunisia and what a great experience . We booked through Secret Escapes and thoroughly had a great time , weather , food,beach plus entertainment . Hotel offers excellent value for money all inclusive. I had the opportunity in meeting Mr.Dhifallah Fredi (Sous Directeur ) where he explained how the hotel is going through upgrading process without sacrificing and upsetting the guests and always welcoming opinions and suggestions.
Definitely going back there for second time...

Room Tip: Superior Sea view room
3  Thank Terri1408
Write a ReviewReviews (1,441)

Reviewed 16 June 2014

My partner and I have just returned from a two week all inclusive stay at El Mouradi Palm Marina.

I would highly recommend this Hotel, we had a lovely time and were very impressed with our overall experience.

You could see the hotel are always making improvements, replacing sun loungers, sofa's. The rooms were a little dated but not unclean which is what matters most. Towels and bedding were changed everyday, and fresh water provided in the mini fridge.

The pool area was lovely but we spent a lot of our days along the beach where there is a nice heat but with a breeze. I would highly recommend parasailing for a lovely view of the beach area and hotel surroundings from above, we got this for 50 dinars and only ever changed our money up bit by bit as the rate is great and if you are all inclusive probably would not need a lot of money anyway. to one english pound the rate was around 2.66 dinars.

One thing I wasn't so impressed with was the lack of tipping I saw from other holiday makers. It is clear that the staff of this hotel rely heavily on tips, they aren't grabby at all and the service is great, my parter and I were especially fond of two waiters in the main dining area called Salal and Rafik. The service were recieved from them as well as a friendly smile and chat was great.

Food was good, lots of choice throughout. Always a selection of meat, rice, fish, vegetables to please all. Drinks were plentiful wines, cocktails in the piano bar, spirits, beer. Food was served all day so there is no chance of going hungry, people will always moan about food but there were lots of choicesand we had two trips to the a la carte upstairs for lebanese and tunisian food to break to holiday up. A nice touch was that you are allocated a table throughout your stay at dinner so were never trying to walk around to find a table in the evenings.

During my stay here my partner and I had some spa treatments, which were very relaxing. Booking through secret escapes we received 20% off but even without this the prices in the spa were more than reasonable.

We took a trip one evening (around 6ish as this is the best time to go) to the Port, had a little walk around, and a bite to eat but was unimpressed with the food there, so we didn't go back. Worth a wander round for some photo's at least but expect a little hassle from shop owners, some are happy with no thankyou, but others a little more challenging, after this I was happy to chill out around our hotel.

If you are looking for a relaxing break in the sun that isn't too far from the UK to hop on a plane, then this is a great choice!!

Room Tip: A sea view room is definatley worth it if you can.
3  Thank chelsea w
Reviewed 15 June 2014

This was a quick cheap week in the sun for us and it was very hot and sunny every day. If you can afford more, pay more to go somewhere else as you really do get what you pay for.

Money: be aware that there is no longer a 30 Tunisian Dinar note - these have been withdrawn and the final date for exchanging at bank has passed but we were warned shopkeepers may try and give to you in your change. Also you should only accept the orange 20 TD notes - others also old and withdrawn.

Taxis: you should pay no more than 8 TD to Sousse during the day and at night add 50%, so 12 TD. To Marina, 4 TD day time, 6 TD night time. When returning always tell the driver it's the El Mouradi PALM MARINA, as there are other El Mouradi hotels. Always agree price before you go. If driver says it's on meter, refuse, as there is a button they can push to make meter display more. Take photo of his taxi number on roof and let him see you doing this. If you get ripped off you can report him and he knows this.

Buses are unsafe and zebra crossings a waste of paint.

Beware if you are asked to exchange £1 coins for a note, they just want you to get your purse out so they can snatch it and run, especially on the beach. Same if they are selling fruit.

Tipping: Tip 1 or 2 TD each day for maid and waiters - they rely on this to survive as wages are poor - don't wait til end of your stay. This is approx 20p or 40p.

Pros:
* Mehdi, our Just Sunshine rep was amazing and gave us some VERY helpful info, especially re current scams etc. Well worth attending the welcome meeting.
* Unlike many other reviewers, we had our 2 best meals in the Lebanese and Italian a la carte restaurants and thought it was far better food (and atmosphere) than the main restaurant
* Pool is lovely with some nice shallow parts where you can sit back and read
* Activities: the usual aqua exercise, beach volleyball, water polo etc - well organised and the animation team work hard are are always smiling and friendly
* Cappuccino from machines was good
* If you like fish you will be well catered for

Cons:
* If you are a veggie you will probably live on pizza, chips, potatoes and salad like me
* Orange juice tastes soooo artificial, like one of those 1970's powder type ones mixed with water. Tasted once, then stayed on water. Such a shame when fresh oranges are plentiful for dessert. Almost all the desserts look delicious but are very bland.
* Yes as others have said there is a weird smell - kind of aniseed/lemon/disinfectant smell
* Our balcony door lock was broken on arrival, they sent a man to repair/replace it which he did but then the maid left it unlocked every day anyway. (Nothing was taken).
* Everything seems to take ages at reception as it's all written out in long hand (e.g. booking the a la carte restaurants and you choose what to eat when booking) - until you check out when suddenly your room bill is from a PC and printed off.
* 2 pool tables in bar, one broken, the other had one ball missing, 2 cues, one without a tip and no chalk - we persevered through one game only.
* Cocktail list v limited - no creamy cocktails or standards like Pina Colada
* Unnecessarily complicated towel procedure - see below.

General Info:
* Towels - you need to go to the cashier at reception and pay 15 TD per towel card. They will give you a handwritten receipt - KEEP THIS .You then take these to the towel 'kiosk' (next to indoor swimming pool) and exchange for towels. This is open 09.00 - 17.00. You can exchange wet for dry towels here but can only get your cards back upon showing receipt. Money back upon giving cards to cashier at main reception.This confused so many people. My advice is, if you have room in your case, take your own.
* Like many other countries, absolutely no regard for health and safety, lots of sharp edges at child head/eye height particularly in the reception area
* Main restaurant: sit wherever you like for breakfast and lunch but same numbered table at your chosen sitting for dinner, where you leave a card with your name etc on it.
* Smoking - allowed in downstairs bar, Piano Bar is smoke free
* Good selection of brand name whiskies, vodkas, gins but only white rum, no dark
* Spa - I had a good massage, although I had booked a back only so was surprised to get a full body massage, but just went with it. My husband did not have a good massage, so think this is luck of draw with who you get. I had a good pedicure.

As other have said, this is not a 5 star hotel as you would expect, but it is the best Tunisia has to offer, so if you want proper 5 star maybe go somewhere else.

7  Thank CarolGuildford
Reviewed 13 June 2014

We are currently on holiday in the Palm Marina, its a great hotel, with great staff, very friendly, always there to help. The hotel has in parts, been renovated, looking very nice, some parts still looking a little tired though. We have a superior sea /pool view room, which is lovely. food has been very good something for everyone, although in the beach side cafe, some of the meat can be very tough ( A little extra cooking time I think) Overall the holiday has been great value for money, and booking with Secret Escapes was very easy. We still have a week to go, and I hope our 2nd week is as good as the 1st. We have been to Tunisia before, and enjoyed it very much, so seeing the Marina in Port El Kantaoui, looking very run down, was a bit sad, but I guess thats what happens, when the hotels change from half board to all inclusive. The hotel and all its staff are great, and its a nice place to spend your holidays.

Room Tip: 300 and up are great rooms, pool and sea view, are the ones to go for, its worth paying the extra
2  Thank jan1966448
Reviewed 13 June 2014 via mobile

We have just returned from a weeks stay, the hotel is spotless, the staff are excellent, we stayed in room 654, special thanks to fairhair our young man who made our room lovy, I spent my birthday there, and the hotel got a birthday cake and the waiters sang happy birthday, I would recommend this hotel. Also a big thankyou to our rep he also was very honest and excellent at his job.

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank Steve W
Reviewed 13 June 2014

I write this review as a frequent visitor to the hotel, and we have just returned from two weeks at the Plammarina its not 100% perfect to a lot of people as you can see from some of the previous reviews, but for my wife and myself the hotel is excellent and the staff are even better, so go along and enjoy yourselves, I am sure you wont be disappointed, and we will be returning soon

Room Tip: pool views are better
1  Thank MrJohn88
Reviewed 12 June 2014 via mobile

My sister in law and I have just returned on Sunday from a weeks holiday at this hotel. For the money we paid which was £470 (with Secret Escapes...ultra all inclusive with superior sea view room) I cannot complain ! Room 622. View over the pool and looking out to sea.. Perfect. The room had a separate bathroom and separate toilet. The wardrobes are in the hallway way of the room which made the room huge. Very clean, sheets changed everyday, beds comfy, nice balcony, but our room was hot at night and the air conditioning wasn't working well but that might have been just ours? Last couple of days were unbearably hot at night. Safe is free to use and large bottles of water are left by the maid daily.

My only complaint of the holiday was we arrived at the hotel at 11.30am and didn't get our room keys until 2.30pm, although the hotel said, go eat, drink and enjoy the sunshine I couldn't relax as I was still in 'UK' mode until I got my keys.

Food plentiful, served day and night and a good mix.. I have a stomach complaint but had no issues with the food. If you can't find anything here then I'd say you're a picky eater!
We booked into the Lebanese speciality restaurant which I enjoyed (not the desert though) they also had Tunisian and Italian,need to book these when you check in though as they get booked up quickly.

Didn't use the beach as there was a lot of seaweed and sea was very cold but we walked up and down hassle free. Mainly stayed by the Pool which had waiter service for the drinks (a dinar helps with good service)

Our rep Medhi? Was really informative and very helpful. Go the welcome meeting for handy tips ; )

The animation team were friendly and worked very hard, activities were taking place all day, archery, darts, table tennis, aerobics water polo ect .. No problem if you didn't want to join in. Never got to see evening entertainment as we were so tired we were in bed by 10.30pm!!! someone said about the rooms over stage being noisy ? The music/entertainment outside finished at 11pm and then it fell silent. There is a piano bar and disco open late.

Port El Kantaoui Marina is close by and worth a wander, couple of quid in a taxi or you can walk, about 40 mins.

We went to the laser light show and history of Tunisia evening, interesting but over lengthy show,food at show not good.

Spa was excellent we had 20% off booking through secret escapes, reflexology was £16 and a 30 minute back massage the same price. I thought the prices in general were good but book early as they were busy.

Loved the little open air shisha cafe with the hubbly bubbly pipes at entrance to hotel ..... Nice to try... Go on and have a go : )

All in all a good week away.

• Stayed: June 2014
5  Thank govs
Ahmed G, Responsable relations publiques at El Mouradi Palm Marina, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2014

Dear customers,

We read your very good review posted on Tripadvisor after your holiday spent at El Mouradi Palm Marina.

We are glad to read that you enjoyed your stay to such extent such like the room, the food, the SPA and the chichi bar with the famous “Habib”.

We would like to apologize for the discomfort due to the air conditioning which was operating from mid June.

We are going to share your satisfaction with the entire team and looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Yours

Movenpick Resort & Marine Spa Sousse
Iberostar Diar El Andalous
Iberostar Diar El Andalous
#2 of 33 in Port El Kantaoui

Been to El Mouradi Palm Marina? Share your experiences!