“An excellent vacation”

El Mouradi Palm Marina
Ranked #5 of 33 Hotels in Port El Kantaoui
Reviewed 10 August 2014

I loved the hotel ,it is an ordinary hotel with a nice view of the beach ,food is really nice
But what makes it superb is the staff each and every one is extremely nice and helpful .I loved .the spa Hana , Bassma and Affaf excellent in their jobs .and you have to try drinking the Tunisian tea with Habib in the garden after 10 pm just beautiful ...I really loved the place and plan on coming again

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank ninotchka20

Reviewed 10 August 2014

I just came back from a week long holiday with my mother, grandmother and brother. We arrived on the 2nd of August and left on the 9th. We weren't originally planning on going to Tunisia, but it just so happened that we ended up going and I can honestly say I don't regret it!!
I APOLOGIZE IN ADVANCE for the extremely long review.. I like to go into detail..:)

The weather was great, plenty of food choice and many activities to get involved in!
On the first night, our flight from Dublin was delayed by 2 hours and we were the last people to get dropped off at the hotel. By the time we filled out all 4 of the visitor cards we had just missed dinner. There was also a problem with our check-in as our names couldn't be found, but I think that was the fault of the travel agency that we bought our holiday from. The reception staff were very helpful and dropped everything as they began searching the computers and documents for our names. They showed us the way to the late dinner room as they looked for our names and our room. We were relieved as we haven't eaten for a good while and we had just missed the regular dinner.
We got our room as we returned from the late dinner (234). It wasn't a sea or pool view room, in fact it was facing the other side of the hotel, with a half-built building and what looked like a chicken farm in the middle of a large sector of land. There was a really annoying rooster that would crow all night. From 2am until maybe 7am. We could see a strip of the sea, but no beach or sand. However, it didn't bother us that much as we didn't spend much time in our room. The room was very spacious, even with four of us sharing one room. The beds were very comfortable and the bathroom was very clean. The bathroom was split into 2 rooms, one room had the toilet and the other had the sink and shower. I wasn't used to this, but hey.
The room was also just about in the wifi coverage zone, so that was handy.
The cleaning staff was great too. On our second night, after exchanging some euros into dinars at the reception, we left a couple of dinars on the pillow in the morning before heading to the beach. As we got back in the evening, we were surprised to find that we were given better blankets than before and a double amount of towels you would usually get. We ended up having three towels each and we even had spares left over. There were flower-like designs made out of the blankets which was very nice too. However, they also made a butterfly-like design out of my brother's pajama bottoms which we found kind off odd and a little bit creepy so a tip: Do not leave your clothes on the ground when you leave for the beach or the pool. ;)
There was a 1,5L bottle of water placed in our room everyday, whether you leave dinars or not, and there is also a mini fridge where you could leave the water and drink it cold after a while :)
However, there was one day when we had just run out of dinars and we were going to change a few more euros into dinars that evening. We had none left to give to the cleaning staff so we thought we would give them some more the next day. As we returned to our room at 5pm to shower and get changed for dinner, we found that the better blankets had been immediately been taken away, most of the towels were taken away and there was no design made out of blankets. We weren't impressed.
If you are ever short on water, you can go down to the pool bar or the indoor bar or even in the food hall and ask for water and they would give you a whole bottle.
I also got a sort of nasty surprise as I had left a packet of shortbread biscuits on the shelf next to my bed from my flight, for two days, and as I came in from the pool I found a huge group of ants on the packet! There was a huge hill of them! They had come out of nowhere as there really wasn't any bugs or anything of the sort in the rooms. There weren't even flies around the beach or pool area!!
The entertainment staff was fantastic! Every night there was something different! They would always start a mini disco type of thing for the kids at 8:30 pm which would run for an hour and then the entertainment would start at 9:30pm and run for about an hour or an hour and a half. Even during the day the animation staff would host many different activities around the beach and the pool, such as volley ball on the beach, darts, water basket and water polo, that everybody could get involved in, not just kids. They were very good at getting people to join in. in particularly Mohamed, he made a great first impression and was always trying to get as many people to join in as possible. He really made our stay that much more enjoyable as I am a very shy person, so I would always want to join in but I could never bring myself to do it. I played water basket for the first time, and It was so much fun! I even scored ! :) Mohamed would also ask me to dance every night. I remember standing in front of over 100 people doing the macarena the first time and I was just waiting for it to be over, but then it got so much fun that we ended up dancing every night. Even my mother and grandmother joined in, as did my brother which was very surprising! A sign of a job WELL DONE! I have traveled a lot and it was the first time I had joined in in any hotel activities, because the entertainment staff wanted their guests to have fun! And we certainly did!
The beach is great too, with plenty of sun beds and activities and soft white sand! However, as much as we love the beach, we spent a total of one out of 7 days at the beach as my mother and grandmother had been stung my jellyfish, that had left a mark for the next few days and was very painful. So we spent the rest of the days at the pool, which was fine as it was always cold and it never got too warm, perfect for those hot August days!! Very refreshing!
We went parachuting (or whatever it was, I don't know the name they gave it). My brother and I were tied to a huge parachute that was pulled by a boat, and we were lifted into the air. It lasted for about 7 mins and we got to see the many resorts from up above. It was 40 dinars for one person or 60 for two people, so If you can afford it I would recommend it. :)
We also took an overnight excursion to the Sahara desert. You just simply cannot go to Africa and not visit the Sahara desert! It was a lifetime experience that I will remember forever! Not many people can say they have been to the Sahara! We left at 6am on The Thursday morning and got back at around 7:30pm on the Friday evening. It is an extremely long trip with lots to see and many, many hours spent on the bus. We were gone for a total of 28 hours. With the many bathroom and coffee stops and the sight seeing stops, we spent maybe 23-25 hours on the actual bus. We got to see the Colosseum and then the ber ber's (people who live in actual caves in the sand mountains/hills). We got to see a berber type of home, where they literally lived in a huge dug out hole, with many caves in the walls as rooms.We also had lunch in a long cave-type room in a village 20 mins away from there, where we got served Tunisian food that I have never seen before. It was ok. After that we spent another few hours in the bus going into the Sahara where we rode camels for around 40 mins. Trust me, 40 minutes is enough. It was super cool and they even let you hold the ropes attached to the camels yourselves.
We saw many desert oasis's and mirages, I couldn't believe my eyes. You have to see the real thing! You would be looking straight out onto the desert's horizon and you could swear you see water or cities that aren't even there!!
We stayed in a 4 star hotel in one of the desert oasis, the food was good and the room was fabulous, 2 bedrooms, a kitchen, a bathroom and a hall.
Word of advice: Bring a lot of extra dinars as even though the trip is paid for, it doesn't cover the camel rides or the horse and carriage ride through one of the desert oasis (It's a must) and the food is all included in the price of the trip, except for drinks! They charged us for drinks, including water!!!! We found ourselves in a very nasty situation, when we weren't expecting to pay so much for the camel ride and the horse and carriage, and my mother had thought that my grandmother brought extra euros and vice versa. So after maybe 4 hours into the trip, we had the great total of 10 dinars, which is a grand total of about 4 euro. We had brought 4 bottles of water, but by the time we got to our hotel in the oasis, we had finished them all. We had absolutely no idea what we were going to do, as the water in the hotel was also charged for and you cannot drink water from the tap. We also had to buy souvenirs for someone, as it was our last few days in Tunisia, since we left on Saturday morning. Long story told short, we survived :) but DON'T make the same mistake, bring plenty of money. I would definitely recommend this trip if you don't mind extremely long bus journeys. The salt lakes and the water fall are sights you have to see with your very own eyes!! It was surreal!!
The hotel was great overall. I don't usually go to the same places as I like to travel to new places that I have never been too every summer, but I can really see myself coming back. There was so much to see in such a limited time!! The hotel staff was fantastic and on the Friday evening that we got back, we went to dinner to find it decorated with flowers for our last day there. It was such a nice surprise after a long day! :)
Would definitely recommend this hotel for anybody ! :) However, do not rely on the doctor. My brother had gotten a severe ear ache that was most likely due to water in the ears, and we went to the ''doctor'' only to be told that we should go speak to an actual doctor, for 40 dinars. I'm willing to bet that thousands of guests had had this same problem, ear aches are very common when on holidays and swimming a lot, so the fact that he didn't really care, we found very rude. We ended up going to the pharmacy 20 mins away to get ear drops and some oil.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view room when booking, so you can wake up to the view of the sea and the sound of wav...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Karolyte0x
Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

I stayed at Palm marina for the last 2 weeks in July, with my partner and 2 children aged 13 and 2, on arrival we was upgraded to a 2 bedroomed apartment with a sea view, it was a great size with very comfortable beds. The hotel staff were all very attentive and very friendly, the food in the main buffet restaurant was tasty and always plenty of choice, we also ate at the restaurant by the pool area at lunch and that was also delicious. There was snacks throughout the day pancakes and ice-cream. The entertainment team Work very hard and there was always something to be involved with if you choose to. We did a few day trips I especially recommend the camel riding and the quad biking, we took a trip to the water park, it's not massive but well worth the money plus food and drink inside are very cheap. We also went on a pirate ship which was great value for money. There are a lot of comments regarding the carpets but to be honest it didn't affect my holiday! We tipped the waiters and the bar staff a couple of dinars a day and we was really looked after. The beach is beautiful and the weather was glorious we had a fantastic holiday Thank you palm marina

Stayed: July 2014
14  Thank Sonya P
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Great hotel. Deserve all 5 stars. Very friendly stuff. Rooms comfortable. The best in the season is that you have your own table in the restaurant. Hotel is in the beach. Pool is large. Food tasty. I recomment this hotel!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank anejka
Reviewed 5 August 2014

This was one of the best value holidays we have ever had. The hotel was very clean and our room was very nice (although we didnt have a view of the pool or the sea, which doesnt really matter as you only sleep in there). The food was plentiful and there is something for everyone to choose even picky eaters. Our evening waiter Walid was very friendly and tentative. The pool area was very clean and the pool staff work very hard to ensure that everyone has a sun lounger, Rihad the pool waiter was also very good, we tipped him a few dinar each day and he brought us our drinks, sometimes without even asking if we wanted one. We had a meal in the A la Carte restaurant, we chose Italian night once again we were not dissapointed, we were stuffed when we left there. Overall we had a really good holiday.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank Julie B
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We have just returned from our holiday and we wished we could have stayed longer. We went with our 15 year old twin boys and they felt the same. When we arrived, we did not have the junior suite that just sunshine had assured us, but the hotel management sorted it out for us straight away. Everyone is extremely friendly and helpful, even through ramadan. The reps are amazing and there are activities throughout the day to suit all tastes and ages. Evening entertainment was ok, but there were other places to go if it wasn't to your taste. We loved the piano bar. The food in the restaurant was always good with a good salad bar and lovely desserts. Food available in cafe till 2am, The pool area is lovely. The lifeguards hand out the cushions for the beds and we always had space for four of us under a parasol. Plenty of activities on the lovely sandy beach too. Would recommend the massages too. Go into Sousse for a shopping trip. If you don't want to haggle for prices in the medina, there are plenty of fixed priced shopping centres where everything is so cheap. The whole holiday, if we had a question or wanted something, someone would always help. Not all aspects of the hotel were 5 star, such as the carpets in the corridor, but all the key ingredients for an enjoyable holiday were 5 star for us. P Waddell - Bedfordshire

Room Tip: Worth booking a suite.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Pascale W
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I stayed in the hotel from 18th June until 2nd July this time. It was almost like getting back home except for the fact I always have to do some cooking and cleaning at home but in Palm Marina I am supposed only to enjoy.

After the holiday, I had two ''complaints'' - the weather and a few rude guests. Not all the days were as hot as I had expected either because it was June (I definitely prefer August) or because the climate is changing globally. Not to be misunderstood: It was warm all the time but but there were a few rainy or windy hours that made me leave the beach. It happened twice or three times. Considering the rude guests, you can see them wherever you go - in Greece, Italy, Spain, France, Turkey..., unfortunately. But neither of the mentioned has spoiled my holiday.

Regarding the beach, room, restaurants, everything was excellent like last year and the year before - sandy beach, warm sea, room cleaned daily, towels and sheets changed regularly, food delicious and plenty of it. I have to point out that this time, again, the staff was great, friendly and helpful.

As I am going back to the same hotel in two days, for another two weeks, I was planning to write my review when I get back but I have been provoked to start writing earlier after having read some comments probably written by members of some royal families. I guess they deserve golden spoons and bird's milk while being entertained by a symphony orchestra or Madonna, Moet champagne to get relaxed and a group of private servants. Yes, all these are possible (except for the bird's milk ;)), but at home only for those who can afford it. I simply cannot believe that the grumblers have really travelled so much without realizing that a price usually tells about goods and services a lot. It is simply not true that there are any bugs in the rooms, the beach towels are not hired but a deposit is given for them and returned in all as soon as you give back the towels (you should read the info paper you are given at the reception on the arrival), it is not true you have to wait for the waiters too long or that the staff are not there, it is an absolute lie that the waiters are trying to ask you to change money, not true that there is no furniture on balcony and I can't remember what else I read here.

I am sorry I have never counted the number of different dishes per meal, so I can't say for sure, but say, there are at least 8 different salads, 10-15 different things as main courses, about a dozen of different cakes, FRESH fruits... for both lunch and dinner. Breakfast is my favourite. But I am sorry, I am not a vegetarian so I can't say if the meals are balanced enough for those who are. Considering the tastes - they should not be discussed. For example, my husband prefers pizza in the USA to pizza in Italy.

Regarding the variety of things to be done around the hotel... hmmm...before I decided to go there, I had first consulted the Internet finding out what I really needed - a summer resort far enough from a city to get rest from a city life and close to a city enough to get to it in 10 minutes if I started feeling bored. Souse can be reached in 10-15 minutes either by taxi or bus. You can get to Port El Kantaoui slowly on foot in about 25 minutes along the beach. The hotel has its own beach what makes me feel better as I dislike walking to the beach longer than 5 minutes or crossing a road to get to one. I never consider places that offer any other type of a beach but sandy.

The offered excursions are great, but before going to Tunisia for the first time, I tried to get informed about the country, so I realized there were places I would be interested in and I was not wrong. I did not expect to see the Eiffel Tower or Big Ben in Africa, but the Colosseum and Dougga are at least as great although totally different.

Clean towels, sheets, clean room and bathroom are very important to me so they make a big plus for the hotel in my opinion.

And once more - the staff make this hotel very special as they are very hard-working, kind, polite and friendly. If you send a smile (a real one), you will get a smile back (a real one), if you don't send a smile nothing happens. If you need something, just ask and you will get it. So, if you need a drink on the beach, you are supposed to ask the guy for it. If you asked him for a soft drink at 10a.m. it doesn't mean he can read your thoughts and guess that you want the same at noon. He will bring exactly what you order in 15 minutes. 15 minutes is too long? Don't forget it is a big hotel with lots of guests and you are not the only who is thirsty. So it takes time. You believe that 10 waiters are needed on the beach? And then you would be complaining that they make the beach more crowded.

You can't open or close your safe? Call the reception and someone will appear in 10 minutes. 10 minutes is too long, then you should look for a much smaller hotel with 50 rooms that are reached through 4 halls. If you need something, just ask for it. If you don't understand ask again. Don't forget that the Tunisians speak Arabic and French and their English or some other language is not perfect. Although I can't speak Arabic and French, I have always been able to communicate with them normally.

And one more thing. This time I took my Mother to Palm Marina. She is 67 and in January she had a terrible accident so she spent months with doctors. She basically recovered before Tunisia but still, when we arrived she was not able to move her toes at all, her feet were half functional (different doctors claimed that it wouldn't ever be better than that), she was half-depressed (logically). After 7 days the thing improved and after 14 days she was smiled again with her toes moving and feet functioning. Once she even forgot to take her walking stick from the room. I don't believe in miracles, but even the doctors are puzzled. Some people claim (not the staff but some guests) that the send on the beach and in the sea have some special characteristics... I still don't understand, but I don't mind as long as it works.

Stop thinking about the carpets, please, and start enjoying. They have some stains here and there, but they are not dirty, you don't sleep on them and do your best not to make a new stain.

Both my Mother and my niece(11) hope to go back to the Palm Marina next year and I can't wait 6th August for my new 2 weeks there this year.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
#4 of 33 in Port El Kantaoui
Iberostar Diar El Andalous
Iberostar Diar El Andalous
#2 of 33 in Port El Kantaoui

Been to El Mouradi Palm Marina? Share your experiences!