“Loved it & didn't want to go home”

El Mouradi Club Kantaoui
Ranked #12 of 33 Hotels in Port El Kantaoui
Wallingford, United Kingdom
“Loved it & didn't want to go home”
Reviewed 21 October 2012

This was my first time in Tunisia, but the friend I went with has been many times & this was her 2nd in El Mouradi Club.
First thing we did on arrival was head for our bungalow, it was very clean & well presented. Didn't worry about not having a TV remote (seems to be a big grumble on here) as we didn't go to sit in & watch TV but when we did we turned it on manually.
Bar staff were excellent & after the first drink they rememebered us and always had them ready. the whole place was clean and tidy and the restaurant staff were very attentive (rewarded with a good tip at the end of the holiday & not before!)
Spent most of the week at the beach as we didn't want the noise of the pool during the day but the beach staff were equally as good as the main hotel area.
If I have to put anything negative it was the amount of cats around the place (I am not a cat lover) but this certainly did not spoil my holiday in any way.
Can't wait to take my children next year

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Hannah C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (334)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
  • Slovak first
Ski Municipality, Norway
Reviewed 21 October 2012

This hotel sits about 2 kilometres north of the Port el Kantaoui harbour, and 1 km from a good golf course, which is why we picked it. Our group of five people consisted of my old mother, myself, my brother, his wife and their young son, and we had booked three rooms. I had contacted the hotel in advance and requested that my mother was given a room near the elevator as she is not a good walker, and the hotel had given her a special handicap room near the reception which solved that problem eminently. The rest of us were given adjacent rooms nearer to the sea. The hotel area is giant and sprawling. About half the rooms are in 3 or 4-storey blocks encompassing a mass of bungalows with vaulted ceilings, which separates the main buildings from the beach area. Also there are two big and splendid outdoor pools and two smaller for children plus one indoor pool. A rather haphazard plaza surrounded with bars, shops, a stage (for the animation programmes) fills in the rest of the area. Indoor the image is much the same, especially in the cavernous lower floor (underneath the reception). Unattractive, dark, random and gloomy are words I have to use to describe it. The entire hotel complex looks like it has been designed by an accountant, so if you are looking for beauty please look elsewhere. A lovely exception is the avenue leading down to the beach from the hotel plaza, which is lined with scented jasmine, rambling bougainvillea and other flowers, and which puts you in a good mood. The beach area is also big and in good shape, the tufted, grass-covered parasolls are particularly attractive. The (bed)rooms are of very good size, but in need of refurbishing (I understand that the superior rooms are being done now but I haven't seen them, nor have I seen the bungalows). I did not sleep well in my bed at all, it was too firm for me, and the pillow was lumpy. The bathroom was lovely, big, bright, smart, huge wash basin where a man can wet shave easily, plus a separate toilet area. Three large wardrobes and a fridge rounds off a very inhabitable room. The balcony/terrace was also big, clean (mostly) and inviting. There was also a very smart rack for drying towels and bathing trunks there, much appreciated. Curiously though, you have to pay a 15 dinar deposit to get the remote control for the TV, and pick it up from a small office at the central plaza, a very odd practise for a 4-star establishment. (The same place you pay a 10 dinar deposit for pol towels). Cleaning was sufficient, but not extraordinary, but the maids seemed to have a massive workload. Now for the food. We have never before travelled All Inclusive, but decided to do so this time because of an old mother and a picky child, plus great distance to external restaurants, and we were lucky. The food here is good and tasty, and I can hardly remember seeing the same items twice on the varied lunch and dinner buffets. There were lots of lovely vegetable courses and salads here, so even vegetarians can survive luxuriously here. And more fish and white meats that reds, so plus points also there. The free drinks are of course boring and cheap, but the rosé wine is passeable and the beer is good, so one survives. The dessert chefs here are particularly worth mentioning, the puddings and cakes look and taste great. (So weight was added during the stay!) When you arrive, find a table that you like and pay (tip) the waiter in charge of the area generously to take care of you and for the rest of the (agreed upon stay) he will. Your table will then be dandied up and your favourite drinks will already be waiting for you when you arrive if such action is taken (but keep up the tipping). If you run around from table to table you may on the other hand feel ignored completely. It is a somewhat curious practise, but entirely understandable. Due to the whole All Inclusive phenomenon waiters hardly get tipped anymore, and this is the only way thet can get a little extra. By providing added service for you they can get paid a little more. So make sure you always carry some 1 and 5 dinar coins with you. (It is after all about the only money you will have to part with during your holiday.)

All in all? More good than bad, but I do wonder why this is deemed worth 4 stars? It is certainly too random and unattractive looking to be 4 stars, if looks have anything to do with it. But on the good side, I liked the room itself and the food experience was well above expected. Good pools, good beach, but service sloppy and unsmiling (even when tipped). However, there were many guests there, and seemingly from all over, so it must have something. If is is redesigned and not just refurbished it has the potential for true 4-star power.

Room Tip: I really enjoyed my 2nd floor, north facing room in the 4-storey blocks near the sea. No sun but gr...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank DSS11
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 October 2012

went with my best friend in july and had a fabulous week doing nothing but relax in the sun.the room was huge and could easily have fit five of us in.we had a lovely view of the pool and of the sea.the beach was just a two minute stroll from our room and was beautiful.the food was absolutely lovely and there was plenty of choice at every meal time.the staff were very friendly and helpful.we enjoyed it that much we have booked again for august 2013.

Room Tip: choose a high room with a sea view
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
Eastleigh, United Kingdom

SIMON / CHELSEA & RYAN
Just come back from this hotel with my two children 3rd -17th October and let me tell you do not listen to any of the negativity of the hotel people put on here as we could not fault the place at all
The rooms were clean and the entertainment is second to none my children loved the mini disco which was on every night for them and all the staff there are so friendly and go out of there way to help you out.
The food was great to and there was always something for my kids to eat and there are fussy eaters lets face it you should not expects to go abroad and get English food all the time i tried a bit of every thing and it was all nice and no i was not ill at all.
I will say if you have got kids then i can not recommend this hotel enough to you and i will be booking up soon to go back next year

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 October 2012

My partner and I (23 & 24) stayed at El Mouradi Club from 16/09/12 to 23/09/12. It was our first holiday together as a couple and we had an amazing time! The hotel is lovely and by far the biggest I have stayed in. First impressions upon entering the lobby were very positive - there is a large lounge area adjacent to the reception area, with a bar. Our room was very spacious, and had three beds despite only having booked for two (it was a bit of a shame that we got twin beds rather than a double, but no biggie). I think perhaps a lot of the other reviews complaining about the rooms are just being precious. The balcony was nice, air con functioned perfectly, the bathroom was a good size and clean on our arrival. The maids cleaned every day and made the beds. Again, I fear those who are complaining about the food are mainly British people being precious and expecting to get a full English breakfast in every country they ever visit. I found the food lovely, there was a wide choice on offer at all meal times, the only bugbear I would agree with is the fact that it seems to only be British people who appreciate an orderly queue (and from our experience most of the other holiday makers were German! Which is no bad thing really, as a lot of 'Brits Abroad' are annoying - I actually almost got into an argument with a British lady at the bar who was complaining because she didn't get served straight away the second she got to the bar..seriously). Also, the waiters are really friendly, we made friends with on early in the week who was then 'our' waiter for the rest of the trip!
The pools are a good size, and despite the size of the hotel neither of the two main pools were overcrowded at all during our stay. There are a lot of fun activities provided by the excellent animation team - water polo (which the Animation Team often join in with!), darts, beach volleyball, football (the hotel has its own pitch), archery - you name it! Unfortunately, on the one day we decided to pitch up on the beach, we found that the sea was rather dirty (it had wrappers, fag ends, etc - although this is really the fault of the tourists rather than the hotel) so we mostly stayed by the pool.
There are a selection of shops on site, which are good for souvenirs etc but you will find more value if you venture out. I didn't investigate any of the shops directly outside the front of the hotel, however I did take a morning trip to Sousse, (the hotel reception booked me a taxi there, it only cost 10 dinar each way), and found some lovely gifts at good prices in the charming and traditional shops of the medina (old town). This trip was a little bit nerve-racking, as I went by myself (my boyfriend is not much of a fan of 'looking at old things', as he puts it, and the main thing I wanted to do was explore the Archaeogical Museum and the medina). As a young woman trying to navigate through the winding narrow shop-lined streets of the medina, I did feel a little nervous and 'hassled', and got lost a few times, however I eventually found the museum, which has a wonderful collection of mosaics from mostly 2nd C AD. I also visited the charming Great Mosque (7C AD) - be warned if you do this, the 4 dinar you will pay is just to look around the courtyard, unless you are a Muslim - non-Muslims are not permitted entry, also you are provided with garments with which to cover yourself and your hair (if you are female). Another one not to miss is the El Jem tour, which I booked through the Thompson rep Christina. A stunning 2nd C Roman ampitheatre!
We also booked a trip on the 'pirate boat' through the hotel (there are a couple of stalls offering various excursions as you come out of the building towards the pool - be warned, the guys that run these can sometimes be a bit 'hassley', so if you'r sure you're not interested it is best to say so straight away, as otherwise they will pounce on you every time you walk past!) - however the pirate boat was great fun. We also booked to go parasailing through one of the guys at the hotel - very reasonably priced - he gave us a ticket and we took it to the 'stall' on the beach. It was mildly terrifying but great fun and the views are excellent!!
The evening entertainment was a little hit and miss, and often very German (but that makes sense, many hotels that I have been to where the clientele are mostly British have delivered almost exclusively English-language entertainment, so I don't think its' very fair to complain here!) - it included karaeoke, a 'traditional' Tunisian night featuring belly dancing and a man balancing an impressive stack of pots on his head, the Animation Team performing their version of 'Riverdance', amongst other things! The beach is 'open' at night and is good for a nice romantic stroll. I have to give a shout out to the Animation Team as they are so hard working, friendly and excellent! Also, a stern-looking, suit-wearing man was prowling around at all times - I can only assume he is the manager, keeping an eye on things, which was reassuring.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Gabbycatface
Cannock, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 October 2012

AMAZING!!!
lovely people lovely weather lovely food, just loved it there. Me and my friend went october 3rd and weve booked again nov 21st. All these bad reviews are foney! and after spending a week there i didnt want to leave, i went for a massage which was amazing went on a pirate ship which was a great exprience. overall this holiday is the best ive been on and i would go back and i am, this time for 2 weeks!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Charlotte B
Scarborough, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 October 2012

we booked club el mouradi for our 10th wedding anniversary as a second choice because we wanted to go to rhodes .. anyway .. we arrived earley hours of the morning and the reception area was typical of a complex in tunisia as we went there 7 years ago .. the porter came took our bags to our bungalow that was basic but nice .. when we got to our bungalow we wer told we had to pay for our tv remote and our air conditioning remote 30 denas any way we got up next morning about 8.30 ish to 28 c .. hot.. walked around for a while and it looked great .. went for breakfast .. eggs on toast coffee on the varanda fantastic .. it got up to 38 c on an afternoon total sunshine everyday .. the beach was great brilliant white sand with all ya water sports and they have a pattio area where they do food ..pizza.. burgers ..and spag boll thats good stuff .. i struggled on a night with the food it wasnt my type.. went 2 days without eating with a dodgy tummy ... the italian night is good ..we went to the marina for a meal one night to the meditaranian restaurant it was great .. the entertainment was good most nights the animation team work very hard and involve the crowd all the time .. very entertaining.. it was a great holiday for me and my wife .. one little secret they dont tell you .. on the complex they have a restaurant called coconut island .. go there its fantastic its not in your all inclusive but it looks out on to the beach and the food is fantastic and very romantic we went on our last night .. so on the hole its worth the money .. go there.. see ya

Room Tip: we stayed in a bungalow .. very basic .. no outlook so stay in complex rooms where you get a view
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Marhaba Beach Hotel
#4 of 35 in Sousse
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,069 reviews
Hasdrubal Thalassa Hotel & Spa Port El Kantaoui
Hasdrubal Thalassa Hotel & Spa P...
#11 of 33 in Port El Kantaoui

Been to El Mouradi Club Kantaoui? Share your experiences!