“Totally average” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #17 of 33 Hotels in Port El Kantaoui
Belgrade, Serbia
“Totally average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

I'd like to start by saying that this hotel has perfect location. It is situated directly on the beach, close to many shops and supermarkets. Beach is fabulous with lots of sunbeds. Also hotel has two outdoor and one indoor pool. Furthermore it has wonderful garden that is well maintained. Hotel building itself probably needs a little refurbishment.
Rooms are small with a fridge and a balcony. This biggest disadvantage of the rooms and corridors is that they all have very old and worn out carpets with lots of stains and holes.
The room I stayed did not have a hairdryer.
Rooms also don't have safe, however safes can be rented at the reception.
Now the reason I say this hotel is average is because of rudeness of hotel stuff, mostly waiters in the main restaurant. When you get to lunch or dinner most tables are already booked by waiters for people who tip them, so the first thing you need to do once you enter the restaurant is to fight for the table. Furthermore don't expect to be served a drink by waiters in main restaurant unless you tip them or shout at them.
On the other hand bartenders in bar next to lobby were the helpful. Animation was very good and did their best every day.
Another problem with this hotel is that its brochure says that hotel has five bars, which is true, however during my stay only two bar were opened.
Towels are changed daily, but be aware that maids take towels out of your room around 11 a.m. and return with new ones around 2 p.m.
Food was very good, lots of choice for everyone. At the beach bar they make pizzas, sandwiches and fries. The only thing I didn't like was that they don't start making omeletes and pancakes before 7.30 .
So to sum up: great location, wonderful garden and beach. Excellent food. However, very, very rude staff (main restaurant).
I tried to get explanations for all the inconveniences I experienced, however never got a reply from hotel management, which I think says a lot about their attitude towards guests.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Marakana

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Arabic first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
Geelong, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

I have travelled a fair bit and never before have I encountered a place with such mixed reviews as Tunisia! People either seem to love it or hate it, with very little in between.

So after taking the plunge and booking our trip, we gave up reading the reviews in favour of a 'suck it and see' attitude.

The beginning of our trip confirmed our worst fears - flight from Belgrade delayed for hours, and despite being told by our travel agent AND checking ourselves online (twice), it turns out Australians DO need a visa for Tunisia!

Another hour delay for us (and our fellow holidaymakers from Belgrade - sorry guys) and our transfer bus arrived at El Mouradi at about 1am. We opened the door to our room to see two cockroaches scurrying away under the beds, and within half an hour we had managed to lock ourselves out of our room due to the hotel's very unusual lock system. So far so good.

But the next day all that changed. We awoke to a beautiful sunny day, the sea was glistening, the pools were beckoning, and by noon that day we were drinking a (free) beer and dancing the macaraner around the pool.

I would highly recommend a holiday at this hotel, and in Tunisia overall.

Our room was spacious with a good sized bathroom and generous balcony. It was tired and in need of a paint and new carpet, but it more than met our needs.

The food is generally very good - you can add variety by having lunch at the lovely poolside restaurant and don't miss the a la carte dinner here too. There is always something fresh being cooked - eg. Swordfish for dinner, omelettes for breakfast, lamb koftas for lunch - but you do have to be prepared to wait in a queue.

The kids loved the pools and the daily activities, and we all enjoyed the evening entertainment. The drinks were full strength and plentiful and the wine surprisingly good.

And the service was excellent. We did tip our waiters, cleaning ladies, pool staff and bar staff, and no doubt it helped. But it's only a small amount to ensure you always have your favourite table reserved for you and plenty of wine being served. These guys work really hard and no doubt earn a pittance compared to us, their good work should be recognised.

As for the hassling outside of the hotel, this was no worse than I've experienced in Turkey or Mexico, and nowhere near what I was expecting after reading the forums etc. We did two day tours to Tunis (Carthage) and Sidi Bou Said, and to El Djiem, both of which were great days out. No one tried to scam us, no one tried to show us around and then demand to be paid for it - everyone did try to sell us something, and there's no such thing as "just looking"- particularly in the medinas.

All up this trip cost us around AUD $2,000 for 2 adults and 2 children for 10 nights from Belgrade. In Australia you'd be lucky if that covered your airfares from Melbourne to somewhere warm - let alone also your accommodation, all meals, drinks and entertainment! I find it mind-blowing that you can travel to another country - another continent even - and experience such a different culture and traditions whilst enjoying a relaxing beach holiday. It's unbelievably good value. My advice? Just do it!

Room Tip: Family rooms have two queen size beds and a large balcony, although they are right at the end of the...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank Caz C
Poole, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

Just returned today from two weeks at El Mouradi Port El Kantaoui. It was a last minute swap as our previous hotel fell through, so we were nervous about what to expect. Well, we couldn't have been more pleased. The hotel, I freely admit, could do with some room refurb, but honestly, how much time do you really spend in the room? Anyway, the rooms were cleaned everyday, to a good standard. The food was outstanding, with plenty of choice, and a gala dinner (which was excellent) included in the price. The restaurant staff (especially Hatem and Ben) were so friendly, and made us feel really special, Hatem even remembered our names after our first meeting. Our favourite table was always reserved for us, with our drinks poured in anticipation of our arrival. On our last night the table was laid out beautifully with flowers. It was truly lovely. The pool and surrounding area was cleaned everyday, and was spotless. Entertainment-wise there was something for everyone. Archery, pool gymnastics, Bingo, Darts, water polo to name but a few. You could even try your hand at learning Arabic, which my husband did, to the amusement of the staff. The animators put on a different show each night, goodness knows when they find time to practice after running the activities all day! The beach and beach bar were clean, and the gardens well maintained. You could try a pedalo or kayak at no extra cost, although there was a charge for motorised sport, but there was no pressure to try anything. We found that being polite and giving a smile goes a long way, and even the busy bar staff always had time for a chat and smile. I've seen comments that the drinks were poured in small glasses, but really every spirit I ordered was at least a double! And if you need extra water it's only 1 dinar for 1.5 litres (about 45p), so not too bad. You can walk outside the hotel to the nearby shops quite safely (although always accompanied by a symphony of taxi horns!), and Port El Kantaoui itself is approx 30 mins walk, which can be along the road or along the beach. The beach itself is frequented by various sellers (rugs? Who needs rugs on the beach?) who only stay at the shoreline, and although a little persistent are easily put off with a firm 'no thank you'. We found them to be colourful and entertaining characters who we enjoyed watching. Overall, if you want a relaxed, good value family holiday, with the option of 'joining in', you could do far worse! I guess the only thing I can think to grumble about slightly is the planned excursion to the Coliseum, which meant five hours on a coach, to spend 1 hour at the attraction, then being dragged off to the Medina in Monastir, which was quite stressful. But again, you aren't pressured to go. We had a great time. Thanks El Mouradi!

Stayed July 2014
4 Thank Janeybee100
Mechelen, Belgium
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

we stayed there from 16 june to 30 juni , i was there with friends, when we arrived they said you can in the room at 12 o clock, but at 12 it was not finish ... but after blabla they gived or a room , the room was not good ( not mutch places for 3 persons) so i asking for changing and it was oke :-) now was the room good.
the food it was oke but no mutch diffrents, ( im difficult for eating so it was oke)
every evening we had a very very nice barman, this was the first holliday it was so good :-)
Now there are more animation then in november. ( is normal) so and they do they job very well.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
      Cleanliness
1 Thank sabrina v
Mayo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

Stayed here with my husband from 21/06/14 to 05/07/14, following on from a successful holiday in 2013.

POSITIVES: (a) very friendly & helpful staff - Thanks especially to Hateem & Ben in the Dining Room; Said & Taoufik in the Bar/Entertainment Area; Sami at Beach Bar (b) lovely beach as part of the hotel with free sunbeds & umbrellas - thanks to Mourad who organises the sunbeds & mattresses on the beach. If you want a padded mattress it will cost Td2 per person, per day = €0.90 pppd (c) free air conditioning in the bedroom (d) great choice of food at all meals but of course it gets boring if you are staying for 2 weeks (e) Hassle-free - there are lots of activities on offer and trips to go on but we found that once we said no they didn't keep bugging us like what happens in other hotels (f) Check-in & Check-out was very efficient (g) Beach towels are available by paying a Td10 deposit, which is refundable on return of the towel card - towels are changed every 2nd day.
NEGATIVES: (i) Room 196, which we were allocated was fairly shabby and needs an upgrade (ii) Carpets in corridors to bedrooms are stained and need to be replaced (iii) Evening entertainment was still quite poor - it was definitely better than last year but I do think that the hotel management must consider employing professional entertainers for at least part of each week (iv) the Russian violinist that we were subjected to on 3 nights (with the exact same repertoire) was very hard to listen to and the high pitched notes hurt my ears so I had to leave the entertainment area and go inside.

You can hire a safety deposit box (which is located in an area beside reception) at a cost of Td2 per day plus refundable deposit of Td20 - for our fortnight the initial outlay was Td48 but actual cost was Td24.

If you want to buy a 1.5 litre of water for use in your room then it costs Td1 from the bar and there is a fridge in your room to keep it cool.

We did tip our waiters and maid and as far as we could see it was much appreciated but there didn't seem to be any distinction in the level of service if you didn't tip. Do bear in mind that the wages of staff are quite poor - another guest asked one of the waiters and the average wage is Td200 per month = €90 per month!!!!

We also heard from other guests that there rooms were of a much higher standard that what we had so it might be worthwhile insisting on a refurnished room when booking or checking-in.

We travelled with JustSunshine.ie and there were a number of problems - Firstly there were no reps when we arrived at Monastir Airport, as a result of our flight having been delayed; Secondly there was an unacceptable delay with the coach departing the airport, as there seemed to be some mix-up with which passengers were to go on which coach and then further delay with handing out packs about the information meeting the following day; Thirdly there was very little useful information given to visitors as to what to expect - water, electricity, sun etc which must have been very scary for 1st time visitors to Tunisia; Fourthly, the rep did not accompany passengers to the resort and it was left up to the coach driver to announce the stops but some people got confused as to which hotel they were staying in as they were all El-Mouradi hotels. There was also an issue on the outbound flight as it was free-seating and mayhem ensued when the last people getting on the plane couldn't be seated together! Return flight had seating allocated.

YES - some of the rooms and corridors are shabby but that is the only negative for us and as we only used the room for showering & sleeping this would not stop us recommending this hotel or returning to it again.

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank AchillIslandMayo
Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

I agree with a previous comment about the rooms requiring updating but I wasnt in it for long to let it bother me!

I found most staff extremely pleasant. Waitors in the restaurant occasionally saved a table for me, never left me without a drink and always smiled, waved or spoke. Even kitchen staff who popped out from time to time did the same.

I can be quite fussy with food but I had no complaints. There was alsorts to choose from and suiting to all tastes.

The animation team made it for me, speaking as someone who was there on her own and did not want to wander about outside the complex at night. The quality of the shows were fantastic, something different from the team every night and I think they pushed themselves to achieve lots more than what would be considered average. You would not be bored with their evening performances. I can also say they all smiled and made an effort to talk. The whole team clearly work so hard and such long hours, and they deserve all the credit in the world.

The main complaint for me is that the issue of drinks within the all inclusive package is a little irritating. All drinks are given in a small glass or plastic cup and you have to go to the bar and queue for one each time. I would think it more appropriate to have at least soft drinks on a dispenser and the option of a larger vessel to drink from. In a hot country, one or two mouthfuls of water from a small plastic cup is not enough to keep anyone hydrated and as I think I have read before, if you wanted any more, you had to pay for a bottle.

Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank Sarah W
manchester U.K.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014

I am not going to go into our complete itinerary on arrival etc. but would just say this hotel is not clean and certainly not 4 star. The carpets in the room had cigarette burns and a couple of burns where an iron had been put on the carpet. The general décor was poor and shabby and the whole place needs a facelift. The food was not very good, and the Saturday evening was like a feeding frenzy, as soon as food was brought out people were grabbing at it like animals, I decided not to join the push and shove that was going on so went to the shop and bought crisps and a bottle of water. The following morning we went down for breakfast and the place had not been cleaned from the night before, there was food on the floor and it was sticky and dirty under foot. Mind you the waiter did start sweeping the floor whilst we were eating. The worst thing I saw was a waiter in the bar collecting beer glasses from the tables outside, brought them in on a tray and without washing them filled them up again and re distributed them to various tables. Having said that the location is great and the beach is lovely as are the animation team who worked really hard, but no I would not go back, this place needs to clean up its act.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple