“Marharba Palace or is that Faulty Towers”

Marhaba Palace Hotel
Ranked #8 of 33 Hotels in Port El Kantaoui
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Myself & My wife stayed here for 2 weeks from the 30th July till 13th Aug. On arrival when walked into lobby our first impression was the hotel looks good. We went to our room which was on the first floor it looked ok until we moved back the sheets of the bed to find long black hairs in the bed. We got up next morning and went for breakfast. We were shown to a table, has we sat down we noticed that birds were coming in from the outside and flying round the room dropping pooh everywhere so we got up and walked out. Then we went for dinner later, this is in a separate room and I have to say that this was a lot better. There is always something to eat and plenty of it to. The Booklet in your room states that the piano bar is open till 01.00am but it closed at midnight and they switch the lights off. A bit later in the week we had a power cut at night were a lady got stuck in one of the lifts for 1 hour 10mins. They did not even check the lifts to see if anyone was in them. They were told she was stuck in the lift at the desk and the reaction was that I am a porter nothing to do with me. Firemen turned up after about 1 hour has they were sent to the wrong side of the hotel to the other lifts. They did get her out (they are Known to have power cuts so don’t use the lifts). A young girl nearly drown in the pool as it is very deep for a small pool, she was save by guests in the hotel as there are no life guards monitoring the pools. A young child had a number 2 in the small pool this was fished out with a net while people were still in it and not closed to clean it. This happened again in the big pool and the same thing was done nothing just fished it out. Do not leave things around in your room i.e. Nail clippers a maid was found in the guests room clipping her toe nails over the bath with the guests clippers, she did not stop just carried on cutting them and guest walked out shocked. When changing money at desk always check it as they are known to short change you. We did go for breakfast again were waiters were seen tipping left over juice onto the table and using to clean it. There is only 1 toaster and you have to put your bread through twice to toast it. When going outside the hotel you do get bothered by the locals trying to get you into their shops so you have to be firm and tell them no. There are not enough sunbeds to cater for all the guests so be ready to get up early or tip the pool guy to save you one. If you go down the beach watch out for the jellyfish in the sea a lot of guests got stung. Keep your eye on your children while you are there as a child was nearly taken out of the lobby by someone. Now some good points the omelette lady is excellent very polite and does a good job. The animation guys work really hard all day doing Zumba and all the games through the day. They also entertain you at night and get the children involved. The drag show in the hotel is a good laugh at 20 dinar about £6 to watch. The weather was outstanding very hot 40s could not fault that. I will not be going back to this hotel again or Tunisia.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank siewolves
Write a ReviewReviews (2,069)

Reviewed 14 August 2014

We have just returned from 10 days at the Marhaba Palace, this is our 3rd Visit to Tunisia but our first to Port El Kantaoui this has been our best holiday by far and with plenty to do in and out of the hotel. All the staff work extremely hard especially the animation team even though you go to relax they make you feel like you want to get involved because they are always so full of life and happy. The food was lovely you always have someone who moans but every night in the 10 days I had something different to eat. If I had one complaint it would be I think with the entertainment being outside in the evening you should be able to get spirits at the pool bar in the evening in plastic glasses to stop people taking glasses near the pool. But other than that it was a fantastic holiday I have been home 24 hours and have already looked at prices for next year see you soon!!!!!

Room Tip: I wouldn't pay for a sea view we stopped on the opposite side 4th Floor and you could see for mi...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Med82
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Holiday good for what we paid. The main bar allowed smoking on the one side until after about four days when it was stopped. As a none smoker I appreciated this. The biggest problem we had was that a new hotel is being built next door and the noise from the construction did disturb us and this was not mentioned before we arrived. Also some of the trips were against Foreign Office advice, so I would you suggest you check before you book. The area was very pleasant particularly by the harbour and cheap.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 August 2014

My sister in law and myself (both in our 50's) spent 2 weeks in July in this hotel.

The hotel was excellent rooms are fairly big, fresh towells and bedding changed daily and the room very clean. the whole hotel is very clean and the staff are friendly and helpful. The food was very good although a little repetative but we always found something to eat. Breakfast was very good with plenty of variety and the omelettes were fab. Lunch was good there are 2 choices of places to eat 1 was the bar on the beach and the other inside the hotel - both were good. Evening meal was fab also, plenty of choice.

We learnt that if you tip the pool boy or beach boy 10 Dinas they will reserve the sunbeds of your choice so you wont have to get up at 5am to put your towells on them - this was worth every penny.

Pool is excellent always clean and the water was warm. The beach is also fab and although there are a few sellers back and fore if you say no they dont hassle you again.

We did 2 trips with Thomson/First choice - Market Fever and the Lights and laser - The market was very good although the 5 * hotel they take you to for your lunch was disappointing as the tables were not set out and the table cloths were dirty, the food they served was cold and covered in flies. The lights and laser show was fantastic, the food and the entertainment was well worth it and I would recommend. Christine the holiday rep was excellent and was always on hand to help.

The hotel is only a 5 minute walk to the marina which is lovely to walk around at night but the only thing I wasnt keen on was the shops the assistants would get you in and get really annoyed if you didnt purchase anything. You have to learn to be strong and just say no.

The animacion team were excellent, they worked extremely hard in entertaining the guests and were not bothering people who did not want to join in. this is the first hotel I have been to where there were at least 50 people doing Zumba in the pool.

The only thing I was disappointed in was the bar - there was not much choice of drinks and certainly no choice of mixers - the cocktails were also bad and tasted of wahsing up liquid ... they had the ususal local produce of Beer, Vodka, Gin, Brandy and Whisky but if you are like me and like a lamumba (brandy and chocolate milk or a baileys) then you will be disappointed.

We had a sea view room on the 1st floor over looking the pool and found it to be very noisy until 11pm when the entertainment ended.

All in all an excellent holiday and would return again.

My only fault with this hotel was the choice of drinks at the bars

Room Tip: I heard that they are upgrading the rooms but are starting at the top floor so I would try and opt f...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 August 2014

We stayed here from 27th July to 7th August and had a fantastic time. We could not fault anything about the hotel at all. The rooms were clean spacious and comfortable. We were on the first floor facing the pool so view was great. The food was excellent, probably the best all inclusive food weve had - lots of choice, freshly cooked. My 14 year old daughter, who is very fussy with food and usually eats little when on holiday, was spoilt for choice. The hotel staff were all friendly and helpful. Entertainment was fine if you have small children although somewhat limited. Check out the Golden Girls on a monday evening :-) It was a short walk to Port El Kantaoui marina where there are lots of shops and a few bars. There's also an Irish bar over the road from the hotel (although no guinness), so you are not confined to hotel either. I would definitely recommend this hotel and we will be going back at some point.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the sea have better view but if you go to bed early may be rather noisy as the stage is...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 August 2014

My husband and I along with four members of our family have just returned home after a 2 week stay at this hotel. We were very disappointed as there were no sun beds left to use at the beach or pool on many occasions. Beds were often reserved and not used all day which was very annoying. The animation team worked very hard all day, ensuring that lots of people and children got involved in the activities. The maid also worked hard and the rooms were always made up beautifully.

The food was a big downfall for many people as it was very repetitive and boring. My daughter and I are vegetarians and chips, pizza and the same salad every lunch and dinner was not ideal. The staff were always helpful and friendly and nothing was too much trouble.

This our second time at this hotel and last time we came in June. We had a really good time but I think it was a bad idea to return in the main school holidays as it was very noisy and there seemed to be children shouting and screaming everywhere.

We won't be coming back to this again ever!!!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Just returned from this Hotel on Sat 9th August good points and a couple of bad ones first Bad point is the Emergency procedures I was stuck in a lift for 1hour and 10 minutes the first 15 minutes in total darkness on my own with no air con after a power cut that happens quite often it was the most terrifying experience that ended up with me being dragged through lift doors that were half open by the Fire Brigade and Police who were so slow it was unbelievable it took lots of British holidymakers to try and console me and attempt to pass some water down after they had pulled lift doors open The Management were USELESS it took over 3 attempts to find someone in charge not a good end to my 40th Wedding celebrations Food is good always hot and something for everyone Breakfast is brilliant the Egg lady was Fab would cook you anything you wanted lunch we had at the pool bar where only soft drinks wine Ughhhh
Beer if you can call it that were served the drinks come in tine blue containers more like toothbrush holders The Animation team are amazing they do everything even the so called entertainment in the evening which in all fairness they did try there best during the day they didi Aqua Aerobics, entertain the children darts volley ball boules so they really do work very hard Evening meals were very good and tasty and you have the same table every evening the service is good as long as you tip the waiter regularly otherwise it goes down hill fast you also need to tip the towel boy/life guard if you want a sun bed for the week otherwise you would have to be up at six in the morning little disturbing is the fact that the towel attendant should also be watching both tots pool and main pool on the Thursday before we left a little girl nearly lost her life a British person pulled her from the bottom of the pool and called for help it took the lifeguard a minute or so to get from the other side of the Hotel where he did eventually revive the little girl she was out for ages so when she did come around started fitting they had not idea how to handle this situation which is scary Emergency services did eventually turn up but with no rush they took her off to hospital So please if you take children with you dont let them out of your site the big pool slopes very quickly into deep end
Our first room on 7th floor was average owing to situation we were moved to 1st floor to a suite it was ok again the hair dryer blew up on first use the fridge did not work properly so I am glad in a way we only had that room for 1 night In my honest opinion the Hotel need a lot of work doing to it the electrics have a lot to be desired they need updating also check your air con when you get to your room all that keeps it on when you shut patio door is blue tack in right hand corner if that gets squashed the air con goes off as the contact is lost we spent 2 nights in temperatures of over 29 degrees that in the early hours of the morning
Also the drinks are not that good which is a pity really as the food was excellent a good wine to go with it would of made the difference
They do have power cuts quite often in the evening so be mindful when using lifts

Room Tip: Rooms with sea view only get the sun in the morning Garden view nearly all day 7th floor rooms are q...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
JAZ Tour Khalef Thalasso & Spa
El Mouradi Palace
El Mouradi Palace
#17 of 33 in Port El Kantaoui

Been to Marhaba Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!