“Beware of the power rangers!!”

Marhaba Palace Hotel
Ranked #8 of 33 Hotels in Port El Kantaoui
Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed here 1st 2 weeks aug and just returned home. I normally find the 2nd week goes far too quick when on holiday but to be honest it dragged! The hotel, food, staff and thomsons rep we couldn't fault as all excellent. Our 1st week was quite lovely apart from the frequent rows/screaming in different areas of hotel from Sudan arabics starting on Tunisian staff. It was awful to sit through almost every meal listening to it all! I found the sunbed situation was a bit of a con for most as pool staff would start work at 5am and place their own towels on 90% of beds therefore basically forcing most to pay him to have beds! We managed to have a deal with him and paid him 10 dinars a week to save the same beds. Yes it's cheap but still inappropriate, he must have his own little stash of money building very well indeed. It seemed to be from the day the 4year old Arabic girl nearly drown that it started gradually going downhill. Her parents were nowhere to be seen and my 10 year old daughter, her friend and friends dad were the ones who noticed this poor little girl at the bottom of the pool! Luckily after observation at hospital she was fit and well. We then had a power cut one night at around 11.30pm that lasted till 1.20am. We had helped a young couple by opening the lift between floors and pull them through. (final destination flying through my mind!)
Special mention to Christine the rep, Mr Ali food and bev manager, souguir our waiter and all the animation team. Billy and willy kept my retired parents well entertained with activities as well as my 10 year old daughter. Zumba is a must really good laugh! Just as the title says beware of power ranger ladies ( you will know what I mean if you are in the pool) very rude Arabics from Sudan. In the 2nd week that's when we were finding these rude, arrogant people were actually starting to ruin such a lovely hotel. It's only a shame really that certain customers can spoil such a good holiday destination.

Stayed: August 2014
3  Thank Jinny1977
Write a ReviewReviews (2,070)

Reviewed 15 August 2014

Another great stay.Had one of the newly refurbished rooms this time.I expect it will take time before all rooms are finished.Loved the omelettes for breakfast served with a lovely friendly smile everyday.Maids & cleaners work from early morning till late at night.All staff we have dealt with have been very helpful & friendly.Have booked again for June next year!

Stayed: June 2014
3  Thank byjm
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Myself & My wife stayed here for 2 weeks from the 30th July till 13th Aug. On arrival when walked into lobby our first impression was the hotel looks good. We went to our room which was on the first floor it looked ok until we moved back the sheets of the bed to find long black hairs in the bed. We got up next morning and went for breakfast. We were shown to a table, has we sat down we noticed that birds were coming in from the outside and flying round the room dropping pooh everywhere so we got up and walked out. Then we went for dinner later, this is in a separate room and I have to say that this was a lot better. There is always something to eat and plenty of it to. The Booklet in your room states that the piano bar is open till 01.00am but it closed at midnight and they switch the lights off. A bit later in the week we had a power cut at night were a lady got stuck in one of the lifts for 1 hour 10mins. They did not even check the lifts to see if anyone was in them. They were told she was stuck in the lift at the desk and the reaction was that I am a porter nothing to do with me. Firemen turned up after about 1 hour has they were sent to the wrong side of the hotel to the other lifts. They did get her out (they are Known to have power cuts so don’t use the lifts). A young girl nearly drown in the pool as it is very deep for a small pool, she was save by guests in the hotel as there are no life guards monitoring the pools. A young child had a number 2 in the small pool this was fished out with a net while people were still in it and not closed to clean it. This happened again in the big pool and the same thing was done nothing just fished it out. Do not leave things around in your room i.e. Nail clippers a maid was found in the guests room clipping her toe nails over the bath with the guests clippers, she did not stop just carried on cutting them and guest walked out shocked. When changing money at desk always check it as they are known to short change you. We did go for breakfast again were waiters were seen tipping left over juice onto the table and using to clean it. There is only 1 toaster and you have to put your bread through twice to toast it. When going outside the hotel you do get bothered by the locals trying to get you into their shops so you have to be firm and tell them no. There are not enough sunbeds to cater for all the guests so be ready to get up early or tip the pool guy to save you one. If you go down the beach watch out for the jellyfish in the sea a lot of guests got stung. Keep your eye on your children while you are there as a child was nearly taken out of the lobby by someone. Now some good points the omelette lady is excellent very polite and does a good job. The animation guys work really hard all day doing Zumba and all the games through the day. They also entertain you at night and get the children involved. The drag show in the hotel is a good laugh at 20 dinar about £6 to watch. The weather was outstanding very hot 40s could not fault that. I will not be going back to this hotel again or Tunisia.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank siewolves
Reviewed 14 August 2014

We have just returned from 10 days at the Marhaba Palace, this is our 3rd Visit to Tunisia but our first to Port El Kantaoui this has been our best holiday by far and with plenty to do in and out of the hotel. All the staff work extremely hard especially the animation team even though you go to relax they make you feel like you want to get involved because they are always so full of life and happy. The food was lovely you always have someone who moans but every night in the 10 days I had something different to eat. If I had one complaint it would be I think with the entertainment being outside in the evening you should be able to get spirits at the pool bar in the evening in plastic glasses to stop people taking glasses near the pool. But other than that it was a fantastic holiday I have been home 24 hours and have already looked at prices for next year see you soon!!!!!

Room Tip: I wouldn't pay for a sea view we stopped on the opposite side 4th Floor and you could see for mi...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Med82
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Holiday good for what we paid. The main bar allowed smoking on the one side until after about four days when it was stopped. As a none smoker I appreciated this. The biggest problem we had was that a new hotel is being built next door and the noise from the construction did disturb us and this was not mentioned before we arrived. Also some of the trips were against Foreign Office advice, so I would you suggest you check before you book. The area was very pleasant particularly by the harbour and cheap.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 August 2014

My sister in law and myself (both in our 50's) spent 2 weeks in July in this hotel.

The hotel was excellent rooms are fairly big, fresh towells and bedding changed daily and the room very clean. the whole hotel is very clean and the staff are friendly and helpful. The food was very good although a little repetative but we always found something to eat. Breakfast was very good with plenty of variety and the omelettes were fab. Lunch was good there are 2 choices of places to eat 1 was the bar on the beach and the other inside the hotel - both were good. Evening meal was fab also, plenty of choice.

We learnt that if you tip the pool boy or beach boy 10 Dinas they will reserve the sunbeds of your choice so you wont have to get up at 5am to put your towells on them - this was worth every penny.

Pool is excellent always clean and the water was warm. The beach is also fab and although there are a few sellers back and fore if you say no they dont hassle you again.

We did 2 trips with Thomson/First choice - Market Fever and the Lights and laser - The market was very good although the 5 * hotel they take you to for your lunch was disappointing as the tables were not set out and the table cloths were dirty, the food they served was cold and covered in flies. The lights and laser show was fantastic, the food and the entertainment was well worth it and I would recommend. Christine the holiday rep was excellent and was always on hand to help.

The hotel is only a 5 minute walk to the marina which is lovely to walk around at night but the only thing I wasnt keen on was the shops the assistants would get you in and get really annoyed if you didnt purchase anything. You have to learn to be strong and just say no.

The animacion team were excellent, they worked extremely hard in entertaining the guests and were not bothering people who did not want to join in. this is the first hotel I have been to where there were at least 50 people doing Zumba in the pool.

The only thing I was disappointed in was the bar - there was not much choice of drinks and certainly no choice of mixers - the cocktails were also bad and tasted of wahsing up liquid ... they had the ususal local produce of Beer, Vodka, Gin, Brandy and Whisky but if you are like me and like a lamumba (brandy and chocolate milk or a baileys) then you will be disappointed.

We had a sea view room on the 1st floor over looking the pool and found it to be very noisy until 11pm when the entertainment ended.

All in all an excellent holiday and would return again.

My only fault with this hotel was the choice of drinks at the bars

Room Tip: I heard that they are upgrading the rooms but are starting at the top floor so I would try and opt f...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 August 2014

We stayed here from 27th July to 7th August and had a fantastic time. We could not fault anything about the hotel at all. The rooms were clean spacious and comfortable. We were on the first floor facing the pool so view was great. The food was excellent, probably the best all inclusive food weve had - lots of choice, freshly cooked. My 14 year old daughter, who is very fussy with food and usually eats little when on holiday, was spoilt for choice. The hotel staff were all friendly and helpful. Entertainment was fine if you have small children although somewhat limited. Check out the Golden Girls on a monday evening :-) It was a short walk to Port El Kantaoui marina where there are lots of shops and a few bars. There's also an Irish bar over the road from the hotel (although no guinness), so you are not confined to hotel either. I would definitely recommend this hotel and we will be going back at some point.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the sea have better view but if you go to bed early may be rather noisy as the stage is...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
JAZ Tour Khalef Thalasso & Spa
El Mouradi Palace
El Mouradi Palace
#17 of 33 in Port El Kantaoui

Been to Marhaba Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!