“Brilliant family holiday defiantly recommend it”

Marhaba Palace Hotel
Ranked #8 of 33 Hotels in Port El Kantaoui
Reviewed 26 August 2014

Had a fab 2 weeks! Plenty of choice either relaxing by the pool or on the beach, varied activities throughout the day for all ages. Animation team work very hard to make the whole experience fun and worthwhile! Near to the marina within 10mins walk via the beach with beautiful sceanary. Can't fault anything all staff very friendly! Definatly come back again!!

• Stayed: August 2014
Write a ReviewReviews (2,070)

Reviewed 25 August 2014

I'll start with the positives because there are only a few.
Food - a good choice of food, very clean and the waiters were fantastic when being tipped and when they weren't arguing.
Entertainment team - a great group of boys, very entertaining and really friendly and helpful.
First aid - when my 6 year old cousin cut his foot the hotel was very helpful and caring.
Now for the negatives:
Rooms - very basic, out of our 3 rooms, even the best air con wasn't cold. The hair dryers in two of our rooms didn't work, the rooms were not clean enough and despite complaining twice and being told that the cleaners would give the rooms a 'really good clean' we still had hair in our baths and snot on one of the sinks! No tea or coffee making facilities in the rooms which is really annoying when breakfast doesn't start until 6 and u are in a room with just children who u cannot leave. We had 3 single beds in our room (2 of which were under lamps so the kids kept hitting their heads) and with 3 beds in a small room there was no space at all!
Tipping - perhaps I am old school English but having pool guys, waiters, cleaners and bar men holding their hands out for tips is very rude. I tip every where I go but it should be my choice to do so, I don't expect to be told to tip in such a rude manner!
Bar staff - we arrived at 11pm, 4 adults and 4 children. We were not offered any drinks or food and when we tried to ask for drinks, all of the lights were switched off on us! The next morning (after not having any water for 9.5 hours) I was told that we were not allowed water until 7am and only one bottle per guest per day! In 44oc heat!!! Disgusting! I have never been to a hotel where there is a limit on water! Finally the bar staff were rude and unhelpful every single day. Commenting on our choice of drinks being very expensive and banging our glasses on their tips. This was all when we could get them to serve us, if they were not too busy talking to each other! (This was the main bar, not the pool bar, the guys there were very helpful).
Restaurant - whilst the food was good and clean, u either have to eat at 6 or 8. At 6pm the ques are not terrible but getting the kids out of the pool, showered and dressed by 6 is a challenge and we felt that this was too early and rushed so we changed to 8. At 8pm u have to que for 20 mins at each area so by the time u sit down, half of your food is cold! There is no organisation within the restaurant and out party of 8 was split onto two tables if we ate at this time. Why the hotel cannot open at 6-10pm and let people decide when they want to eat is beyond me because then it might not be so busy. The problem is that the restaurant is not big enough to take the amount of guests at any one time yet the hotel cannot see that by deciding what time we eat for us, creates more mayhem.
Pool area - the pool is lovely and clean and there are plenty of sunbeds for everyone (at a tipping price) my only negative is that the main pool isn't big enough for the number of guests in high season. The beach is lovely though and hassle free.
As a party of women and children (3 teenage girls), we had a lot of hassle from men everywhere we went (including from the guests at the hotel who were locals), most of the hassle was harmless expect from one guy who was drunk day and night and followed my two teenage family members everywhere day and night. If we change seats, so did he, if they got in the pool, so did he, if they joined in with the children's day time entertainment, so did he. He followed them to the bar, to the lifts, to the toilets. Everywhere! It became very intimidating and when we told hotel staff, as he had not spoken to them there was nothing that they could do. I understand this in some respects but it ruined our holiday, the girls were petrified to leave our side, they wouldn't join in with the day time games, they would freak out at night when having to go to the rooms in case he had followed them and we as the adults could not relax as we had to watch the girls 24/7. It was not only us that had this issue at the hotel, one lady had said that a local had kissed two girls (4-7 in age) in the pool. How is this all acceptable!!!

I hate the fact that I am having to complain so much about this hotel, my family and I have travelled the world and stayed in a range of hotels from 3-7* so I feel qualified to know what to expect when I pay this much money for a holiday. This is not a 4* hotel, it is more like a 3*. The facilities are not good enough and the hotel is not clean enough. This holiday was a complete waste of money and time! We would never return to this hotel or Tunisia even if it was free!

5  Thank Lollylou1982
Reviewed 25 August 2014

My First to Tunisia .. as all have said yes hotel is dated, and when next door opens it will be knocked out the water unless a big improvement made.
Staff excellent as said before ,have no problem with tipping as they work so hard for so little..if anyone has stuff not wanting to take back please offer to them as it really is appreciated.
Chefs will prepare anything if you ask I have a garlic allergy and often they grilled chicken for me.
All inclusive should be just that not pay extra for certain evening events
Be wary what you book re insurance and who you book through although not our rep Christine is fantastic.
Sousse very intimidating
I needed a Dr while there who was excellent, big boo to hotel never asking if I was ok but charged me for calling him for me.
Hotel pool ,beds and tables are filthy beds and tables never cleaned in our 2 week stay yes the pool looks lovely but it was dirty, and tiles cracking if I ever return I would just book a sunbed for 2 weeks as easier than the daily 5am trip to get one.
Where to start with the boys! they worked so hard every day and made our holiday,my grandson of 6 is heartbroken to have left them especially Smiley and Paola(sp).all of them made such a fuss of him even spending time off with him and my son ,building sand castles and healing jellyfish stings,if any of you were my boys I would be beaming with pride billy is 16 and so very good watch out older ones! MoMo just great fun and thanks for explaining a lot of customs to us.
the Algerians hmmmm spoiled it for a lot treated the Tunisians badly ,rude ill mannered yes generalising in a way but that's how they were.
Pool music was loud at times , but not a complaint from us we had a good sing to the oldies! and could go to the beach if wanting peace
Best hotel we saw position wise
Did we have a good holiday...yes
would we go back.. no

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank tizerlily
Reviewed 24 August 2014

This is the second time we have went to tunisia but the first time we have stayed in this hotel and I have to say its been the best holiday ever due to all the hard work the staff put in such as the maids that make sure the rooms are always spotless when you enter your rooms, the waiters always making sure your happy with everything and always refilling your drinks so that theres not a moment where your glass is empty and last but not least the amazing ANIMATION TEAM!without the animation team I don't really know what anyone would do as they work hard all day and night and help to keep everyone happy. We stayed here for two weeks and we were happy with the food a variety from pizza to fish and the desserts were also extremely nice. We will definitely be returning again next year but only if the animation team are the same as they played a big part in why we enjoyed our stay so much so hopefully they will still be there by next year, therefore a big shoutout to; Smiley, Billy, Mario, Momo, Willy, Pawlo and Adel!

1  Thank Hanyeh16
Reviewed 24 August 2014

We have just come back from a great time at the hotel. We stayed from 15- 22nd august. We went as a group of 5, 3 mums and 2 daughters aged 16 and 22. The two girls really enjoyed it as did all us mums.

The animation team were excellent especially Mario and Billy. They were always coming over to check we were ok and have a chat. Billy was a typical 16 year old boy, cheeky and playful which made it all more fun. Mario was such a sensible 22 year old and was so lovely to us. We would give them all 5/5.

Not sure why people have complained so much about it. We could always get sunbeds, we would be down at 8 to eat breakfast and beable to get a sun bed. 8 am is a great time and I wouldn't consider that early to get sun beds. We've stayed in other hotels where you would have to be up at 5 am to get a bed and have to stay with it Untill 7. Even at 9 there were sun beds left.

Food:
We enjoyed the food. Breakfast lovely especially the omelette lady, never had such a smiley friendly lady and breakfast before. Always made them to perfection. Donuts and pancakes were also delicious. We were never hungry always plenty to eat. We always ate lunch at the beach bar which has a fantastic view and reminded us our holiday in Cuba. Pizza was served at lunch along with lots of other options like meat and fish. Even you were a picky eater there is something to eat for everyone, chips are always served and they were lovely.
Dinner was also great our waiter was lovely and always had our drinks ready before we got there. The pasta bar at dinner was very good along with the garlic bread and roasted veg! The pasta was the girls favourite. Always lots of options every night. On our last night there was a lovely crumble for desert just as good as getting one in england.

We went to the water park it's just a 5-10 minute walk from the hotel. I'd recommend getting for opening a 9.30 as it does get busy with locals. We spoke to locals who said august is it's busiest time. We are the sort of people who can deal with queues if you don't queues don't go but that's what you get at water parks!!! We had to put a few locals straight when the pushed in but would leave if we told them to go back. So stand up for yourself as it does work ! Apart from the bit being busy we had a great time there. The slides were great especially the black whole. It's not big water park but for tunisia I thought it was pretty good. Don't expect Florida water park European water park. Over all we had a great time there don't see why people complain so much about it, we stayed from 9.30- 3 in the after noon.

We went to the port about 3 evenings, it's very nice but can get busy. Lots of shops and restaurants, 26 dinar for a fillet steak meal which is £10!! As we were a group of women we did get some harassment but mainly banter, never felt in danger. However wouldn't go out of the hotel alone. Shop owners are very friendly.

Evening entertainment. We only saw 3 shows as we liked going to the port so much. We saw the drag show at the hotel "golden girls" in the Monday evening. Was very funny and a good bit of entertainment. Another night was just a rest night and watched karaoke. Then our last night was the knife men which was a very good show they get lots of people on stage including our 22 year old girl and she said it was great. They then do fire eating after.

Our room:
There were pros and cons to the room. We did have a bit of a rubbish shower that just trickled however the other room our friend was staying in had a shower that worked fine. The plug socket our tv was in had to power so couldn't have that on however we didn't come on holiday to watch the tv! We were hardly in our room. The rooms are ones where you have to put your key in a power thing on the wall and everything would work. However ours didn't work like that which meant we could have our air con on all the time and come back to a nice chilled room which was great! So ask for room 121!
The rooms were clean and couldn't fault apart from the shower.

Over all our stay was great and would Go again. The service was fantastic and can't really
fault it.

2  Thank pink_teresa
Reviewed 22 August 2014

Had mixed reviews on Tunisia but after a week there it was just perfect, the locals were entertaining not as bad as I thought they would be and all friendly. The staff very helpful, rooms spotless and plenty of choice of food. As it was difficult to get a sun bed by the pool, the beach was a short walk away complete with beach café with a good variety of food. The staff would get to know you and your drinks would be ready on the table for you although we did tip them but any amount they were pleased with.
Would I go back to Tunisia and this hotel? in a heart beat.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank thefivespicegirls
Reviewed 21 August 2014

Have just returned from a family holiday to Port El Kantaoui. This hotel was fab. From the minute we arrived at the hotel, tired after a night of no sleep due to travelling, we were welcomed by a friendly lady at reception and a welcome drink. In the restaurant you choose your own table on your first day then keep this table for the duration of your stay. Our waiters, Atef and Makrem, were fantastic. They remembered our favourite drinks and put them out in time for us each night and were quick to top us up without us having to ask. They were professional, friendly and efficient at all times. They went the extra mile throughout the duration of our stay. The pool was lovely although disappointingly there were often no sun beds available, however, there were always beds available at the beach which was just as comfortable. Beach buffet was fab and the food at all meal times was great...something for everyone. I don't usually write reviews but felt so strongly that this was a fab hotel that I decided I would write a review this time! The hotel is close to the marina (less than 5 minutes walk) and is close to Sousse too ( either by taxi or mini train).

Room Tip: Choosing a room with a sea view was great but if you want to be able to view the entertainment from...