“Good place to chill”
Review of Hotel Abou Sofiane

Hotel Abou Sofiane
Ranked #15 of 33 Hotels in Port El Kantaoui
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Stayed here for 1 week middle of may the hotel is about a twenty five minute walk to the port the hotel itself is average dated in some areas the food was ok bit repetitive after a couple of days but there is a separate restaurant which you can use twice for Tunisian food & Italian we did both the Tunisian is about six courses so make sure your hungry & it is rather spicey the Italian is three courses & not spicey out of the two I preferred the Italian , the pool area is very nice & only a short walk to the beach where there is a beach bar were you can get food & drinks all included there are also plenty of free sun beds ,but what really made the holiday was the animation team who were all excellent & very amusing there is also a disco which serves drinks till two am which is usually unheard of with all inclusive s the bars usually close at midnight all in all a good time was had by all

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank cglynis

Reviewed 28 May 2014

I've just returned from here with my mum, the animation staff made the holiday, Speedy, biggie, nino, bobo and the lady were amazing, always something to do not a place to go if you want a peaceful holiday! Russians spoiled it with there rudeness, however hotel promised they would not be back next year! Food was average however for picky eaters such as myself all I ate was pasta which became boring and bland. Over all room was tidy, smaller than expected and wifi is only available in parks of the holiday, would only go back for the animation team!

Room Tip: Get a room away from the front of hotel as all you can hear is coaches coming in and out!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Chloe M
Reviewed 25 May 2014

again another nice Holiday at my second home! this time with many up and downs, but in the Hotel was evrything good. since this year you can use both Hotels (abou sofiane and Riviera), i think there came much more guests from Riviera to abou sofiane !!! abou sofiane is a fantastic Hotel with always good Animation, i was a bit sad that some of them left the Hotel during my Holiday (Special about Gogo) . the Animationteam worked really hard and like always : they made our Holidays. the Food was good (sometimes to cold but ok). evryone can find something there ;) we booked again for october and maybe we will come between now and october again ?! the Hotel is still a lovely place and i am always happy there ! hope it will go on like this (and i hope the guests are next time more mixed again and not 90 % russian).

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank belladonna30w
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Ive read all reviews on this resort, but
I like to form my own opinion & I speak as I find.
You can have two types of holiday
one where you tip everyone = good service.
One where you tip only when deserved = not so good service.
They expect a tip for just about everything..getting you a drink..taking your suit case up the lift! Serving your drink at the bar..cleaning your room!
I'm sorry but haven't I already paid for this in the cost of my holiday??
In my view you get a tip for extra special service not before you've even done anything!!
Marina not worth a visit as you get hassled so much you can't even look round the shops properly & when you don't buy they abuse you!
Weather was rubbish pretty much which meant nothing to do!
Cleaners spent most of the time gossiping, our room was not properly cleaned on our whole visit!
The Russians were probably rude to avoid having to tip all the time..we met some lovely people who were Russian & experienced no problems from them. Food was terrible I am a Chef so I think my judgment is worth listening to unless your used to greasy un seasoned food & desserts that all taste exactly the same!
Oh & the cleaners have an obsession with cleaning the floor about a million times a day is seems that's all they do even if your walking on it!
Glad to be home.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Eparkin
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Hotel Abou Sofiane. Port El Kantaoui. Tunisia.
When we arrived at the hotel we were welcomed with a cold glass of fresh orange juice and had a room within ½ hr. reception / bar area and garden area are good to sit in at night, with free wi-fi and lots of soft chairs.
Rooms are a bit dated but ok and very clean.
Restaurant and food are very good and there is a nice large open area connected to the restaurant were you can eat.
Large outdoor pool with lots of sun beds plus bar, pancakes, ice-cream an excellent indoor pool which was hot but no were to get changed.
The private beach was clean with sun beds and a covered in open bar area. You can hire quad bikes for les than £20 for 2 hrs I went on them, very good value. (take some money with you for ½ time drinks).
Staff at the hotel were very good, some were looking for tips but most were ok.
It was my wifes birthday and the hotel prepared a dining table with flowers on it and made a birthday cake for her and the friend we made in the hotel.(thankyou hotel for doing that).
There is a large town called Sousse with a Medina (walled market) about 7 mile from the hotel. You can take a taxi 12 dena, but try and do it like we did by taking the local bus it was great. Go up to the main road and cross it then flag down a yellow mini bus with a blue stripe round it, and ask to go to the Madina not Sousse it costs 1 dena, and it is great. (taxis do not have the blue stripe). When you want to go back just go to the bus at the front of the line of busses you went on and show them the name on a piece of paper the of the hotel Reviera which you can see when you were standing for the bus at the resort. Try it, it was great.
On the whole holiday we did not feel frightened in any way, we did not go out at night but lots of people did.
Only bad things-
There is a very nice entertainments room but the speakers are turned up so much that it hurts your ears and you cannot talk to each other or order at the bar, and it would have been nice if they had left the tea and coffee maker on in reception for people that were leaving to go home or trips before the restaurant opened for breakfast.
I will definitely be going back to Tunisia.
If this is a help to you please tick the box.

Room Tip: Just talk to the staff and they will try to give you a room for your needs.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
9  Thank NewcastleRabbit
Reviewed 24 May 2014

i cant find a thing wrong with this hotel (apart from one thing which i will go into later)..stayed here last October for 2 weeks and had such a good time i booked for another 2 weeks for March...enjoyed it so much again i booked another 2 weeks within 6 weeks (just got home)and had another great fortnight....the staff are great the beach and pool are almost perfect and the food although a bit samey is excellent....the animation team work their socks off to ensure you have a great time and there's always plenty to do....now the one thing i mentioned.....6 weeks ago i asked to have a late check-out and paid 50 dinar and hey presto 6 weeks later it had gone up 100% ....now 100 dinar...the Thomas cook rep was telling clients at the welcome meeting it was 50 dinar...i have made a complaint to the hotel and Thomas Cook asking for a explanation...but i wont let that put me off and am planning another visit to this hotel later in the year.....

Room Tip: all rooms are good but pool or garden view rooms rooms are nicer
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank twicer16
Reviewed 21 May 2014 via mobile

Just thought I would add my review because before I travelled I was regularly checking here for new reviews and was getting a bit worried.

I have to say myself and my boyfriend had a great week. We didn't really leave the resort and spent most of our time by the beach. The Marina is about 15 mins walk and the shop owners do really bother you so that put us off going out. The Irish Bar was a ten minute walked and we spent one afternoon there watching the football.

I'm a very fussy plain eater and was worried what I was going to eat but everyday I found something.

The hotel was clean, the staff were great and the beach was beautiful. We really did have a great week and would visit again.

• Stayed: May 2014
#14 of 33 in Port El Kantaoui
Marhaba Royal Salem
Marhaba Royal Salem
#6 of 35 in Sousse

Been to Hotel Abou Sofiane? Share your experiences!