“Amazing holiday!!”

Hotel Abou Sofiane
Ranked #15 of 33 Hotels in Port El Kantaoui
“Amazing holiday!!”
Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

I would definitely recommend this hotel to anybody, not just to families but to couples and friends too. The food was lovely and had a lot of variety and staff were very friendly. Although, I have to say that animation team really did make the holiday. They were absolutely amazing, they were so energetic and enthusiastic and really tried to get everybody involved with activities. We got on really well with the whole team, they were so friendly and easy to get along with and had such a good sense of humour. The entertainment at night was also really good and the beach party was really fun! Arbi, Biggie, Nino, Bobo, Anis, Coucou, Wili and Sam were amazing entertainers and I really hope that when I come back next year, it is the same animation team.. although next year, I will be spending two weeks there rather than one as it just wasn't long enough! I advise that the hotel keep these members of the animation team as they were fantastic and don't think that our holiday would have been the same without them.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Megan M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (313)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Would totally recommend this hotel. I have never been to Tunisia before but would absolutely visit there again and stay at this hotel. It was clean (although some areas a little tired), the food was plentiful and with good choice. We had BBQ at bar on beach every lunchtime which was good with a nice glass or two of wine. Animation team were excellent and kept everyone entertained day and night. Hope to be able to return very soon.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank Barbara A
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Well i visited the hotel for the 2nd time only this time with my elderly patents.The warm welcome we received really bowled over my parents The fact that a year later many of the staff remember you means the care you receive is genuine From the bar staff all the catering staff and the hotel manager the warmth was really felt.The whole Animation team change from the year before .But as last year they where tremendous. The food was slightly different from the year before it was very good .But the year before was the best ever .It is suitable for families and couples .not for groups of young boys or girls as the area has quiet nightlife .The rooms ate fab as are the cleaners . perfect place to eat well be well looked after and spoiled and entertained .I will be back again

• Stayed May 2014
6 Thank topbannan
Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 July 2014

I've been to Tunisia many times before this one and this was the best holiday I have been on. All the staff were friendly, the rooms were clean, the food was amazing.
The animation team made the holiday for me and my family and friend. They got me and my friend to join in with the activities during the day, they persuaded us to go to the shows during the evenings which I'm glad they did and they got me up to dance even though I told them many times I can't dance. Thank you to Biggy, BoBo, Nino, Willi, Rina and the rest of the animation team for making my holiday the best holiday I have been on!

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Megan H
Leeds
Reviewed 19 July 2014

The animation team made our holiday they are the best animation team we have ever had on any holiday especially BOBO, Biggy, Nino and Anis!! We would definately come back just because of them!! The hotel was really nice and very clean all very helpful

• Stayed July 2014
6 Thank Gabi1231
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Like most people, I read tripadvisor reviews at length before booking and decided that the positives about this hotel just about outweighed the negatives. Thank goodness I did! Having now stayed there, I can honestly say that I have absolutely no idea where some of the more negative reviews come from.

My husband, 2 young daughters and I arrived at the hotel on 2nd July 2014 and stayed for two weeks.

The reception staff were very friendly and had a room available for us almost immediately even though we were checking in fairly early at 11am. You have to complete a short form for each guest before getting your room key but this is standard practice in all Tunisian hotels and a barman immediately brought us over cold drinks whilst we were filling them out.

Our bedroom (80) was very clean but quite tired. I'm not particularly upset by a little bobbly bedding, and the odd frayed rug, but I know some people are. The carpets in the corridor leading to the bedrooms were pretty old and don't look their best - these could do definitely do with being replaced.

The food was very good.
Fantastic buffet selection and such lovely, hard working staff. Yes their were a number of rude, greedy guests that would basically expect the chef to give them half a dozen chickens off the rotisserie (I exaggerate a tad!) but in my experience the staff handled them exceptionally well. A few negative reviews have said the food is very repetitive if staying for a fortnight - I suppose it could be but I'm not entirely sure what more the hotel could do. The quantity of different dishes each night, to allow everyone to be able to get something they like, would leave it impossible to do any more. I guess you just need to pace yourself!
I didn't experience any shortages of glasses or cutlery (as some other reviews mentioned) for the duration of my stay.

Our breakfast/lunch and and our dinner waiter Sabri were both just the most lovely guys. They work so hard and during Ramadan I have absolutely no idea how they manage to be so attentive, helpful and friendly.
With our children being so young, we didn't use the a la carte restaurants but we heard good things about them both.

The beach is beautiful and very clean. There are plenty of sunbeds, parasols. The lifeguard/beach security men are incredibly friendly and helpful.

We ended up spending most of our time at the pool because my youngest decided sand wasn't for her!! There are plenty of sunbeds but you might struggle to get a parasol if you decide to go in the afternoon.

The animation team.
The hotel's biggest asset.
What can I say?! When on holiday I'm really not a 'games' and 'activities' kind of girl - all I want to do is a bit of people watching and read my book but my goodness - these boys (and the lovely Mia) are absolutely wonderful. They never push you to take part in activities and are just fantastic at their jobs.
How they can work a 13hr + day, 6days a week and still be so happy and friendly is really quite marvellous.

Biggie - an absolute professional and a total gentleman. His experience shines out.

Bobo - really made us smile. Constantly twirling around the poolside. Great dancer. Lovely, lovely boy. Under Biggie and Speedy's wing he is undoubtedly a rising star.

Mia - Incredibly friendly. Sincerely hope that she is not left out with the arrival of more female Eastern European animation staff...

Chauechau - lovely, professional, unassuming man.

Speedy - the full package. My older daughter (4) is really shy and he really brought her out of her shell in a lovely, quiet, caring way. She literally lit up every time he called her name. Of course lots of the reviews on here comment on aqua gym and what a pleasure he is to watch for the ladies (and yes!) BUT do the hotel actually see and value the other side of him too? He is the best dancer and performer the hotel has, but his warmth and his ability to talk to children and make them feel great is by far his greatest strength. A credit to the hotel, a professional and an absolutely sweetheart. He needs to be there when we return next summer, the hotel would really would not be the same without him.

Go to this hotel, ignore rude people, talk to the lovely staff and have a great time!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
11 Thank lyndsay m
Saxmundham
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Amazing place, hotel was lovely, food was good, right on the beach which was lovely, all the staff were friendly too. The animation team made our holiday!! Especially biggie and nino! Dali was also awesome and very friendly. Would recommend this hotel to everyone!!!!

• Stayed July 2014
#26 of 33 in Port El Kantaoui
Marhaba Royal Salem
Marhaba Royal Salem
#5 of 35 in Sousse

Been to Hotel Abou Sofiane? Share your experiences!