“Enjoyable holiday, but Hotel could do with a refresh.”
Review of Hotel Abou Sofiane

Hotel Abou Sofiane
Ranked #15 of 33 Hotels in Port El Kantaoui
Upton, Wirral, United Kingdom
“Enjoyable holiday, but Hotel could do with a refresh.”
Reviewed 1 August 2014

We've just got back from a holiday here a few days back - 2 adults, 2 kids (10 and 12) and heres my review. Ill try and break it down in to sections to make it easier to read :)

HOTEL - Bedrooms This is about the only criticism I really had about the whole holiday, so best get it out of the way at the start. The rooms are basic, but very clean, the cleaners do a great job everyday. We had a family room which was basically a double room with some bunk beds pushed in, so it was a bit tight for the 4 of us. The beds are very hard, great if you have a bad back maybe, but I didnt find them comfortable. The bathroom, again, whilst functional and clean, it could have done with a bit of a refresh / refit, all the fittings had seen better days, tiles had been repaired with silicone etc. The Air con in the room, in comparison to other Tunisian Hotels, was the best Ive experienced (although its still not an icy blast) and with it on at night, we found you had to get under the sheets on the bed to stay warm - with no air con youd be on top of the bed sweating all night! Wifi is offered, but only available in the lobby. It was very tricky to connect at busy times (meal times and evening), but ok at other times of the day.

HOTEL - Resturants This hotel has the main resturant and many bars located around, the beach bar the only other place to do food. Breakfast was served in the main resturant and had a massive selection, fresh crepes, omlettes, pastries, fruit, plus other cooked items, After breakfast the pool bar offered snacks (fresh crepes) until lunch, and ice cream all day. The main resturant again served a good variety of food, but we chose the beach bar - here you could get burgers, hot dogs, chips etc. Main meals were served in the main resturant, Ive read the reviews about lack of choice, but I guess that is more lack of not wanting to try other things. Your not going to get a KFC / McDonnalds menu here, but you did get a salad bar, with 15-20 different items, plus breads and sauces. On the hot platters again you had 10-15 hot dishes, from stuffed peppers, to beef stew, to whole fish, to filited battered fish, meat balls, burgers etc to name a few. They also had a pasta bar with 3 different pastas and sauces to mix and match, plus a fresh counter were they had a chef serving / slicing something fresh every day. For pud, there musy have been 10+ different cakes and mousses to choose from, plus fruit. We were there 10 days, and I dont think I ate the same thing twice!

HOTEL - Location This was pretty good, only a 30 min transfer! We walked about 20 mins to the Marina in Port El Kantaoui and got a taxi back. Sousse is also only 20 mins away in a Taxi (10 dinars ~ £3.50). The hotel also sits on the beach, so its only a 50m walk from hotel to the pool, and then another 50m to the beach.

All the staff at the hotel are very friendly and helpful. Tipping will get you a much better service and its pretty much expected. A couple of dinar is normally enough (60p) but for this waiters will keep topping your drinks up, reserve you tables and even sun loungers!! The latter is a must as no matter what time you get up, someone has already been round and thrown towels on the loungers! The Animation team are also great, and work to everyone entertained. They generally start at 10am with some aqua aerobics, then water polo, volleyball, darts, archery etc etc, and finish the night off with a show!

I hope this review has been helpful, and as mentioned my only criticism is of the bedrooms, and to be fair you dont spend that much time in there anyway - and when you do you have your eyes shut!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
18 Thank Stuart M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (313)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Bristol england
Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

I came here for a week with my friend and my mum and dad and i had the best time. We were welcomed with drinks when we entered the hotel and getting the bands was quick and easy.
The hotel was very big so it was easy for me and my friend to go off and be away from my parents and feel comfortable and safe in the grounds.
The biggest asset to the hotel are by far the animation team they made our holiday. They worked all day to make our holiday special and they worked to make every individual happy. There was activities held all day. My favourite people were sam and chouchou they were always happy and smiling and very friendly. Made me feel really welcome and comfortable. My brother is very shy and he says how he helped him make his friends in the hotel. The animation team should never change they are so strong because they have such good friendships and they are the reason we are coming to the hotel next year.

Stayed July 2014
6 Thank emilyluxtonxo
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Me and 6 others, 2 being children have just come back from 2 weeks at Abou. We all loved it the animation team are fantastic always made sure we were all happy and that the kids had as much fun as the could.
Food was a bit repetitive and sometimes cold but overall ok.
Bar staff and waiters were great always remembered are orders and had them ready and waiting for us.
Returning in October

5 Thank Lauralo92
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Great hotel, very chilled atmosphere. Animation team fantastic, well done Ardi, Biggie, Nino, Bebo and the rest who all made myself, daughter and "nanny" very welcome and entertained everyone the whole time. Small tips go a long way. Pool lifeguard had sunbeds ready for us every morning and always made sure everyone had one (even dragging them up from the beach if necessary). Bar staff lovey (couple of dinas every few days made everyone happy), restaurant waiters lovely - tip; pick a waiter & stick with them, small tip and your restaurant experience will completely change with drinks ready for you. Join in entertainment if you want to and just watching was sometimes entertaining enough. Only down side was little low on glasses so sometimes had to wait for them to be washed. Would definitely return. Thoroughly enjoyed.

Room Tip: Small tips and you will have a ball.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Jill A
Reviewed 29 July 2014

I would recommend this hotel to everyone I meet, because it is amazing. I have just come back and I will certainly be coming back. Great service from morning till midnight and beyond and the animation team are an awesome credit to making a holiday very special. The choice of food was great and the restaurant staff made every effort to ensure we were well looked after (something I have not experienced anywhere else). The bar staff were brilliant and remembered what we want from day one. It's the animation team that a lot of reviews talk about, and I now know why they are amazing working tirelessly to fill the day with a sense of fun and fulfilment Arbi, Bobo, Biggie, Nino, Mya, Anis and the rest are a credit to why I will definitely return to this hotel. They all worked throughout the day to run many varied activities and to put on superb evening show. It was four star and each of them very deserved. As for any negative reviews I would say bite the bullet and see cause I went with no expectations and found myself blown away. And for anyone worried about rude Russians at least half the guests were Russian and I never saw any bad manners or queue jumping and found all to be very friendly. So go with a smile and come back with an amazing feeling.

5 Thank VaughanW
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Myself and my family visited tunisia for the first time recently.

We were unsure what to expect & had heard mixed reviews. Fortunately the abu sofiane resort excelled in every way.

The hotel itself isn't a huge complex, but there's always something to do. The rooms are basic but very comfortable & the food was absolutely out of this world - always a huge variety to choose from.

The biggest asset to this hotel though, is the animation team. They were so friendly, kind & entertaining - they really made our holiday special.

Not only have we come away having had an excellent time, we have all made friends in the animation team & will definitely be returning next year

6 Thank chris_benham1
Stourbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2014

my husband and myself did a week here didnt think much of the food and the spirits were the weakest ive ever tried after 8 vodkas i could still walk a straight line i should have been blotto as i only have alchol when on holiday.The room we were given was like a marathon to reach and the corridors were very dark.The room was clean aswas the bathroom.A new owner turned up on our 3rd day and let the staff in the kitchen that the food was not up to scratch threw a few tantrums at them.The hotel was being fitted with new card key doors as the keys were massive to take out with us.The marina down the road was beautiful and people were lovely.Met some lovely people in the hotel and there were a lot of English.Entertaiment was a bit crap and the little man in animation took things a bit to far ie(dressing up as a prostitute in the middle of the day with a sign round his neck asking 50euros)Not done when children are around but all in all we had a good week and would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: ask for a sea view were the rooms are located you will not hear a thing.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
El Mouradi Palace
El Mouradi Palace
#16 of 33 in Port El Kantaoui
JAZ Tour Khalef Thalasso & Spa

Been to Hotel Abou Sofiane? Share your experiences!