“Fantastic Fun Holiday”
Review of Hotel Riviera

Hotel Riviera
Ranked #12 of 33 Hotels in Port El Kantaoui
Reviewed 18 April 2012

The building of the new pool caused very little disruption or noise(should be ready for summer season) the main pool and the indoor pool are still open and unaffected by the work.
As usual the staff and animation team make the holiday, my 8yr old daughter loved going to the kids club morning and afternoon.
The bathrooms could do with updating but the hotel and rooms are kept very clean by the hard working staff. Can't wait to return next year.

8  Thank timbo67
Write a ReviewReviews (1,704)

Reviewed 16 April 2012

Just spent 12days with my family at the Riviera and had a fabulous time. All 5 of us were so sad to leave and we met lots of lovely, like minded people whilst there with whom we had lots of fun with, day and night.

Restaurant: lots to choose from for breakfast, lunch and dinner including cereals, fruit, yoghurt, pancakes, omlettes, fresh salads, rice dishes, fish, chicken, tegine's, cakes and ice cream to name but a few. The waiters were lovely (particularly Hosni) very friendly and attentive and were always refilling your glass!

Rooms: As a family of 5 we had 2 interconnecting rooms on the 3rd floor with a view of the pool and the sea. Rooms were basic, in need of a coat of paint, however were very clean and we had fresh towels every day.

Bar: staff were always attentive, and within a couple of days knew what we were drinking! Children loved going to the bar to ask for a 'kiddy cocktail'!!Free wifi in the bar (and reception). Whenever I walked around the hotel, or was in the bar on my own the staff were never over-familiar, and at no point did I ever feel uneasy with anyone.

Entertainment team: initially was only Smiley and Samuel as the season was only just starting, however they were joined after a couple of days by Kimo, Midou, Doudi, Slim, Thouraya and Memo. What can I say, other than, BRILLIANT TEAM!!! They made the holiday for us, day and night. My children particularly loved Smiley (as he was in charge of the mini-club, although I think the children were in charge of him really!) and Samuel who just had the ability to get you up around the pool every day and joining in the games. My husband and I had our reservations the first day, however by day 2 were joining in with the water polo, darts, golf, french boule (which hubby thoroughly enjoyed) and which culminated in most days dancing around the poolside to Waka Waka and Bomba!!!!! The team had a couple of hours off late afternoon, and were back at it on the evenings in the bar or disco. Every evening there was something new. Each night started with a mini-disco for the little one's, however once again Samuel and Smiley came into their own and managed to get lots of adults up too. The disco was followed by either a show, quiz, bingo, karaoke, dance night followed again by everyone up dancing to Waka Waka and Bomba. Believe me....you'll be up doing it within a day or so of you being there!!

PEK: nice place to visit, walked along the beach which takes approx 1/2hr, however 10mins back along the road! The marina is lovely, and the shop and cafe owners are very friendly. Just be polite and say no and they soon leave you alone. Be prepared to haggle in the shops, roughly pay 1/3 - 1/2 of the starting price!!

The friendliness of all the staff far outweighs any reservations regarding the decor needing updating. The building of the new children's pool did not interfere with the enjoyment of the holiday, and was hidden behind wooden boards.

In conclusion, we loved it and can't wait to go back. So many people we met said they had been there year after year, and we can see why!!

7  Thank bishopheath
Reviewed 16 April 2012

When we first heard about the building work at the hotel it said that the pool was closed :( we decided to go anyway as we had been once before and knew that there was an indoor pool. when we got there the only evdence of building work was a wooden screen at the far end of the pool, (which was open) they are actually building another pool. no noise from any work that was undergo. an amazing holiday again, going back in 2013.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank lotti f
Reviewed 15 April 2012

Hotel - well presented hotel with good facilities. The indoor pool is lovely (warm) and the indoor gym was small and basic but had good working equipment. The hotel's bureau de change opened at funny hours. The outdoor pool was big with plenty of space to sunbathe however was really cold! The entertainment, although basic, was really good fun (however was held in the smoking area). The night club (include in AI) was open until 1am.

Food - the restaurant is open nearly all the time. We also used the snack bar daily and booked into the a la carte restaurants. I am a vegetarian and was very happy with the food. Every day there was fresh salads and fruits, a good selection of cooked foods - both tunisian and more familiar cuisines.

Staff - as you will have read from other reviews the staff are very friendly and very helpful. The entertainment team were the best Ive ever met. There were activites and kiddies club every day and of course dancing and entertainment in the evening. The team made the best of what little they had, little money to spend on big shows, but fun ideas and captured the enthusiam of their audience. They were very professional and friendly and made our holiday the best experience ever.

Room - the room was very clean although quite basic. The bathroom and balcony (both clean) could do with a bit of renovation (the shower/bath leaked all over the bathroom floor every time it was used). Towels/sheets changed daily and maids were very friendly too.

Weather (April) - Perfect. Mid 20s and sunny. Couple of days of cloud / rain - no big deal.

Beach - lovely beach although the rubbish and seaweed was cleared regularly. The water was too cold to go in. Take care of the locals that walk up and down the beach (I heard one of the guests was pestered). If you walk to Kantaoui along the beach, allow 45 mins.

Kantaoui - Lovely port, great cafes, pubs and clubs to visit. Easy to get to Taxi 3d or 10 min walk. Most of the locals we met were really friendly after the initial meeting - once they got the idea you didn't want to buy or get a taxi they were happy to just talk to us pleasantly.

Sousse - The medina is definately worth a visit and a good experience. The locals are friendly and are fun to barter with. Taxi is 7d.

Room Tip: If you ask for a sea view you will overlook the main grounds of the hotel
5  Thank VixseyVixen
Reviewed 12 April 2012

I travelled to Hotel Riviera in April 2012 with my Husband and 21 month old son. I booked up and flew with Thomas Cook. First time I have travelled with them and I have to say that their leg room is despicable. As my son travelled free we had him on our lap for the 3 and a half hour flight, which was fine, but on this occasion it was far too cramped. The airport porters try to take your luggage off you, politely say no as they expect a tip for this. We had not changed money yet and they didnt take too kindly to us saying this.

Anyway, back to Hotel Riviera - Its a nice hotel, food is good, although not an awful lot of choice. My Husband is quite fussy and he usually found something to his taste, I always went for the rice, pasta etc and the soup was always nice.

Hotel Rooms - A bit dated, definitely not 4 star! Average but always clean as the maid came every day to change towels, beds etc. We asked for a cot, which was provided. We stayed on the 2nd floor. We had no issues with our room at all.

Staff - Staff are generally nice. Although, I have to say that when I went about the hotel on my own at times, male staff were quite 'sleazy' in their mannerisms and attitude towards me. I think they are like this with all females judging by past reviews. They were very different when my Husband was with me. The Animation team were so friendly though - big credit to them as they put a lot of effort in and tried their best to get people up and doing things. My son especially liked dthe kids disco at night. They made the hotel the nice place that it was in my opinion.

In all, Hotel Riviera provided us with a generally good stay, the beach is beautiful, we spent most of our days there and the pool area is nice. I would not class it as 4 star but I would go back there again. You have a 20 minute walk along to Port El Kantoui Marina which is lovely. We didnt venture far out as we were only there for a week.

A nice stay!

Room Tip: Higher Floors have a good sea view.
7  Thank e_doch
Reviewed 7 April 2012

Good sized rooms, very clean everywhere if not a liittle dated. Does what it says on the tin. Food good and always something for everyone. Beach nice. Pool ok and building new fun pool. Entertainment standard family routine with darts, stretch, polo etcetc. Friendly staff and nothing too much trouble. Certainly worth coming

Stayed: April 2012
7  Thank Mark G
Reviewed 4 April 2012

A you will see from the previous 5 reviews of this hotel I have written I love this hotel!!!! And that has not changed this time round. The staff are just as good, welcoming, happy and do a really good job to make sure your stay at the hotel is comfortable and deal with any problems that you may have quickly to ensure your stay is perfect
At the moment there is building work going on as they are building a new pool but there is no distrubtion to the main pool and you can still sunbath around it, but there is some noise I am afraid but then what do you expect if they are building a pool. I have heard that they are looking to finish it at the end of April, but I would not be sure on this myself since when I left I could not see any signs of a pool at all.
The animation team...well what can I say. Usually I cannot fault of them as they work so hard all day and night to entertain guests. But unfortuantly this time I was not as impressed with how things were run! Usually the animation team are fun outgoing having a laugh etc but this time they seemed to be watching over their shoulder everything they did, and I feel this is due to a new boss causing problems. At the start of the holiday there were three members of the team there and then a few days later the new boss arrives and the team goes down to 2. I am sorry but there is not much you can do with 2 members of staff and for that I feel like some of the shows suffered. You could obiviously see by the quality and the style of shows that they put on reflected the lack of management. But still....the team did their best to keep a smile on everyones face and they certainly did just that so I would like to thank Smiley, Samuel and Monica (and Slim even though he was not working) for making some lovely memories for me and my friends...you truely make the hotel what it is along with all the other staff who work so hard.
I would still recommend this hotel to anyone who is wanting to go to Tunisia as it does have a lot of lovely qualities and the food is lovely. The hotel setting is perfect....not too far away from things but near enough that you dont need to spend a fortune on transport. You will go home with some fantastic memories here that I can assure you!

Room Tip: Sea view higher floor is the best
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
#17 of 33 in Port El Kantaoui
El Kantaoui Center
El Kantaoui Center
#14 of 33 in Port El Kantaoui

Been to Hotel Riviera? Share your experiences!