“Friendly hotel”

Ranked #9 of 33 Hotels in Port El Kantaoui
Tyne and Wear, United Kingdom
“Friendly hotel”
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Love this hotel very friendly staff can't do enough off you,make you feel very welcome,food was okay enough choice for everyone,animation team great with the kids couldn't fault them ,beach just five minutes away .would definitely recommend full body massage on the beach very relaxing.it s been my second time at this hotel and can't wait to get back .the only down fall is the entertainment could be a bit better ..shops very good and don't get hassled from shop keepers as it's all set prices.. about 15 minutes walk turning right out of the main gates ..nice thing about this hotel is that all of the staff remembered me which I thought was quiet nice ...opps one more thing shower weren't very good as the water flooded the bathroom every time you had one..

Room Tip: Choose balcony I was on the third floor ANC could see the ocean and lovely views
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
9 Thank Tracy M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (394)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Our first time in the Hotel Riviera and it aint gonna be our last. Before we booked i red a number of mixed reviews so was a bit dubious but thought we would give it a try. We were a family of 4. I advise anyone who is considering going to do so. You won't be dissapointed. i will give a detailed review on all aspects of the holiday, which I hope will rectify any doubts you may have :-)

Hotel Staff - These guys are an absolute credit. Zach who is the barman in the lounge is a absolute diamond. He had our drinks ready whenever we went to the bar. The breakfast and evening meal waiters always had our table ready with drinks already prepared. The pool attendant and beach attendant always had sun-loungers for us in a good spot. The beach bar staff were pleasant. Housekeepers always left our rooms with funky designs on the towels. Nothing negative to say about any of the staff.

Food - This was an area of concern for me when booking the holiday as I have a fussy 14 year old eater but I shouldnt have worried.
Breakfast was epic. Sausage, eggs, beans, pastries, freshly cooked omelettes and pancakes.Fruit coffee juice. cereals..... Stunning
Lunch - Fish, burgers, chicken nuggets, chips, chicken, freshly prepared baguetted, available in the main restaurant, snack bar by the pool and in the beach bar. yummy
Dinner - Obviously they have to cater for all people so there are questionable things available like eggplant lol, lots of fish, but they cook fresh paninis, meat ie beef, chicken, lamb. Chicken wraps plenty of choice so you never go hungry.
A la carte - There are 2 restaurants I urge you to try but be warned the servings are huge lol. The Tunisian and Italian restaurants. Stunning food

Weather - Absolutely stunning. Between 35 and 40 all week.

Animation team - For myself personally they were the icing on the cake. I have stayed in many places and met many entertainment teams but none come even close to these guys. They are absolutely fantastic. Tito, Zizo, Jimmy, Kiko,.Mano, Migo, Max, Ziggy, and the 2 ladies. they work all day to entertain everyone and they do a fantastic job at that.

i think the only 2 things during our stay that were annoying was the shopkeepers in Port el kantouie. They pester you to come into their shop. BE FIRM AND SAY NO and secondly we were a bit dissapointed in the prices the Thomas Cook rep were charging for excursions. eg a family of 4 to go on a galleon for the morning was £100 - approx 250 tnd. the guys on the beach of the hotel were running the same trip for 100tnd - £30 for the 4 of us.

So that wraps up my review. Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoy your holiday as much as we did. Carl Stallard

Room Tip: We had a room on the 2nd floor overlooking the tennis courts and surrounding area which was stunning...
13 Thank carl s
kantaoui72, Directeur général at Hotel Riviera, responded to this review, 5 May 2015
Dear customer,

We would like to thank you for trusting DESSOLE RIVIERA PORT EL KANTAOUI for your holiday in Tunisia and had the time to post a very nice review on Tripadvisor.

We are happy to read that you enjoyed your stay to such extent such like the room, the food, the service and with the staff who contributed to your well being and satisfaction which is our aim.

We are looking forwards to welcoming you back again during your next visit to our hotel
The management
Benfleet, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2014

We stayed in this hotel from the 10th to the 17th July. I had read lots of reviews about it before we went, and I had to go with an open mind, as the reviews were so mixed. This was also our first time in Tunisia, so we didn't quite know what to expect in general either.

The hotel itself is great. Its clean and tidy, with a Grand Entrance and Lobby area. On the night of our arrival, bearing in mind that we didn't arrive at the hotel until 12.30am due to our flight times, we were still greeted at the door by the staff, who took our luggage etc and showed us in. The hotel staff are excellent, right from the greetings at Reception, the Restaurant Staff, The Bar Staff and the Cleaning Staff. Nothing is too much for them and they are always willing to help you out with a smile! (possibly with the exception of the man running the currency exchange!). I had read reviews about there being a constant smell of smoking in and around the hotel, but I can honestly say it was not a concern for me or my family.

We had booked 2 rooms, and the hotel had provided us 2 rooms that were next door to each other (Rooms 467 & 469 I believe they were), that were on the top floor overlooking the central courtyard and had a great view of the pool and sea etc. The rooms were clean and tidy, and more than adequate for our stay. The fittings in the bedroom are showing signs of age (wardrobe door hanging loose and light fittings looking like they needed attention) but the rooms were air conditioned so that's a plus. Both of our rooms however had issues with the showers leaking - and I don't mean just a bit, but LOADS. The first time we used ours, we had to use all the bath towels to mop up the water and ended up having baths for the rest of the holiday. The beds and pillows were comfortable, and we all managed to sleep well during our stay.

The pool area is great, clean and tidy with lots of available sun loungers. The pool staff are always at hand to help locate beds and provide mats etc, again with a smile and a laugh.

We only went to the beach once during our stay, and although the beach area it self is clean, it is a bit cramped when it gets busy. We did however have an issue with the cleanliness of the sea water. It was full of rubbish - plastic carrier bags, bottles and even a polystyrene packing block. Not the beautiful blue sea I had been led to believe.

Tipping goes a long way in Tunisia. We tipped the waitress who set our table for breakfast & lunch, the waiter who set our table for dinner, the cleaners,the Bar Manager, the pool attendants and believe me it was worth it. You only need a couple of TD ( less than £1.00) every other day, but it means so much to them and the service you receive is worth the tipping. Obviously you can tip more - its up to you.

Now, to the points that we did feel let the holiday and hotel down.

The alcoholic drinks are awful. There is no other way to describe them. The beer, although tasted ok, gave us all stomach cramps so we stopped drinking that after the first night. Talking to other guests, we were not the only ones to experience this either.The spirits did the same, or worse ;-). The cocktails from the main bar were from a machine, so please do not drink these - go to the proper cocktail bar (at the opposite end of the lobby area from the reception desk). These cocktails were drinkable, but still not quite right. We ended up drinking the red and rose wine for 95% of our holiday, and not actually being a wine drinker, this got rather boring towards the end. We even asked if we could buy bottled beers, but the answer was no.

The food was 'OK'. I can say that we never really went hungry, however all the food was very bland tasting. I don't think they have heard of seasoning. All the food was labelled up so you knew what you were picking up, and there was always quite a variety to choose from. The best way I can describe the food is that it reminded me of a works canteen - a slight step up from a school canteen, but nothing that would blow you away. The deserts were nice though, and the melon was lovely!

One of the biggest gripes we had with the hotel, believe it or not, was with the constant loud music and pestering of the animation team around the pool. This is not a hotel you want to go to if you want to relax and read a book. The animation guys themselves are always smiling, and are a bit "laddish", which is fine, but they just don't seem to want to take no for an answer. If people wanted to join in they would - you do not need to keep pestering them if they say "no thank you"! I also did not like the fact that we had to explain to them WHY we didn't want to join in - I am on holiday, and it is my prerogative to do what I want to do (within the law of course :-) ) with my time. Towards the end of the holiday it really was getting on all of our nerves.

We would also like to mention to everyone, beware of the beach staff who are looking after the pedalo's. If you book this hotel through Thomas Cook / Airtours etc, ALL NON MOTORISED WATER SPORTS ARE INCLUDED WITHIN THE ALL INCLUSIVE PACKAGE. This includes wind surfing and the pedalo's. When we asked to go on a pedalo, we were told by the staff that there would be a cost of 40TD per hour! We questioned this with our Rep and he confirmed that it was free and that he would sort it for us. When we went back the next morning, the staff agreed that "SOME" of the pedalo's were free, however the 1 "free one" he had was "broken", and the only ones he had left were 40TD an hour! We gave up at this point.

So all in all, it was a break in the sun (the weather in July was superb by the way!), in a nice hotel with great hotel staff, with ok food, horrible alcohol and an annoying animation team and constant load music. Would I go back to Tunisia or to this hotel......... to be honest, I am not to sure either way. Having said that, this clearly is not the case for everyone, as we met a family there who had been going to this hotel for the last 9 years! .

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the central area of the hotel will give much better views. In our rooms, as they w...
4 Thank Andy P
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2014

we are never disappointed at the Riviera, fantastic hotel, all the staff are friendly and always willing to stop and chat, and help if needed. The food is plentiful and there is always lots to chose from, the bedrooms are bright and airy with a lovely breeze from the sea, the maids clean them daily and do a really good job, fresh towels and bedding every day. Now the important bit, the new animation team are fantastic, they do a fantastic job keeping everyone busy and entertained from 10am till very late, they work very hard and all deserve a pat on the back Midou is very good at organising them all and works very hard, and top choreographer Ziggy is a fantastic dancer and Zumba instructor, Soso is great at running the mini kids club everyday, Soso and her team will take the kids off your hands and do activities like games and face painting so parents can sit back and relax or join in with grown up games in or around the pool like water polo or water aerobics, or darts and French boules. Toto the animation manager has recently started to offer a weekly beach party which is a must for all the family, with great dj's and foam machine and fire dancers its brilliant, we cant wait to visit again next year as we feel it is our home from home x

9 Thank hazel640
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Just back from 2 week stay at hotel riviera, our best holiday ever.We went with our daughter and son in law, and our 2 granddaughters and we all had a super duper brilliant fantastic time.The hotel and all of its staff are superb.Absolutely gorgeous hotel, the dining room was always spotless and a huge selection of food available special thanks to freish , sonia and tony soprano!.Also special thanks to kareem for his absolutely fantastic desserts and to swy who made my granddaughter panini s and always had a chat with her.All of the staff were brill always chatty ,smiling, shaking hands, hi fives etc and made us feel so at ease and welcome from the first moment, Thankyou all.Our rooms were lovely, my daughters room had fantastic views , ours not as good but maybe next time!the rooms were cleaned , with clean bedding and towels every day by lovely lovely ladies.Thankyou.The pools and gardens were amazing, always spotless and maintained daily.The slides pool was always manned by 2 lifeguards when the slides were in use, and were super vigilant about the safety of all.Next, we would like to give huge thanks to the superb brill fantastic animation team.Our girls absolutely loved them all.childrens club, games, dancing, disco s, evening shows, wow, what a great time you gave us all, thankyou all so much.Special thanks to Jemme, Mano, Max, Sophie, SooSoo, mido and all, you really made our holiday fab!The beach was absolutely stunning, great staff for sunbeds etc and the sports available brilliant, and spotlessly clean.THANKYOU ALL so so much for a fantastic holiday, we cant wait to come back next year.

Room Tip: Room 374, is not as noisy as those overlooking pool areas, but overlooks tennis courts and neighbour...
2 Thank Dye L
Reviewed 29 July 2014

We arrived 13th july and sadly left 27th july.Myself, my husband, our 2 girls aged 4 and 7 and both my parents.We stayed in 2 rooms both cleaned every day with clean sheets and towels by a lovely cleaning lady.The hotel itself was perfect always clean and very family friendly.The dining room was just great with a lovely wide selection to eat for breakfast.lunch and evening meal.We found it to be great for our girls always something familiar for them to eat.They especially enjoyed the panini's made by a lovely lad named Swy and the desserts made by Kareem.The dining staff were faultless, always very attentive and working hard particulary Fraish and Sonia and the man we liked to call Tony Soprano!Thank you.Outside the pools were just lovely constantly being cleaned around poolside and slides always carefully monitored by the lifeguards.The girls loved being poolside and we always felt they were very safe.The beach was also very well looked after very clean and the staff very attentive.The watersports were very safe and managed very well.At the hotel our girls really enjoyed the mini club where they were looked after by 2 lovely ladies named Sophie and Soosoo, they played games, had face painting and learnt dances ect, they will be much missed by our girls.Every evening they had a mini disco ran by Jemmy who was excellent at this our girls would look for him coming into the dining room to collect the children with his chanting and great enthusiasm, thank you.After the mini disco the animation team or entertainment staff put on a family friendly show, we were there 2 weeks and never saw the same show twice, excellent.All of the animation team were brill always so enthusiastic to entertain both day and night, with poolside games and dances, Boomba and Nossa nossa are our firm family favourites!They held an olympic games day to celebrate republic day on the 25th which was just excellent to be a part of and to watch.All led by the talented multi lingual Toto who worked so hard and was great with the children, thank you.We would especially like to thank Sophie, Soosoo, Jemmy, Mano, Toto, Zizu, Ziggy and Max for making our holiday for us especially our girls we will all miss them all.I should also mention the excellent gardens, they were beautiful and always maintained everyday by the hard working gardeners remembering all these people mentioned are working hard day and night in extermely warm conditions,not easy and highly comendable.Overall this was our best ever family holiday.Would highly recommend to those families who want a safe, relaxing yet fun holiday
in lovely hotel with great food and top notch staff all around!We will most definately be going back Thank you

Room Tip: Our family room was 306, really good air con, mini fridge and beautiful veiw
8 Thank Emma L
Dear customer,

The management
Grantham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Just got back after a week at riveria.what a lovely place and people that work there.couldnt do enough for u .we had three fav staff members a lady doing breakfast .a waiter at evening meals in the main eatting hall and the bar man in main bar .sorry carnt spell your names.the down side was how other holiday makers were so rude to the staff and english people.entertainment staff were very nice people amd involved the holiday makers.
Beach lovely and the people selling on the beach were friendly and not to pushy.Deffo planning on coming back next year .for a 3* plus hotel resort excellent.Thank u riveria for a fab holiday.

• Stayed July 2014
Marhaba Royal Salem
Marhaba Royal Salem
#6 of 35 in Sousse
Hasdrubal Thalassa Hotel & Spa Port El Kantaoui
Hasdrubal Thalassa Hotel & Spa P...
#11 of 33 in Port El Kantaoui

Been to Hotel Riviera? Share your experiences!