I was very close to giving this hotel/resort 5*. A couple of minor problems:
Arrived early hours and room not ready. We were put into a ground floor suite for the first night which was huge but we were not able to get to our 'own' room until 2pm next day so the first day was all about waiting for a room in the morning and unpacking in the afternoon. When we went to open the room door the electronic key did not work. At reception the room had been assigned to someone else. They reassigned a room to the other clients.
Pool towels are provided in the room. There were 3 of us. Only 2 towels provided. We reminded the room maid but she kept forgetting so we had to keep asking.
Staff. The staff in this hotel are fantastic. Helpful, smiling, chatty and - yes - a dinar tip goes a long way. We tipped our table waitress daily and she made sure our table was always ready laid up including our drinks. Bar staff are really efficient and memorise your drinks so if there's a queue they are multitasking and your drink is always ready before you get to the front. Never waited more than a minute. The hotel is constantly being cleaned to make sure the surroundings are perfect.
Rooms. Perfectly OK. Linen changed daily with a room clean. Beds were fine. Hotel quiet after midnight. There is a late night club but it is out of the way of the rooms and we heard no noise from this. Free safe. Word of advice. Our room was on the first floor NOTE that the main lobby lifts do not go to this floor. To get a lift with your cases to the first floor you must use the lift next to the indoor swimming pool area.
Bars. There are 4. All very efficient. My personal favourite was the beach bar sitting with a cold beer watching the water sports and enjoying the afternoon barbecue on offer. You can also use the bars in the sister hotel About Sofiane.
Food. I couldn't fault the food. There is so much variety. Even in the pool and beach bar there was a wide range of hot snacks, baguettes and salads to choose from including freshly made crepes. Breakfast included freshly made fried eggs or omelettes. Do try the 2 a la carte restaurants which you book with the services manageress. Good food (5 course) and waiter service (no charge for these restaurants but a nice tip is deserved).
Pools. Big enough but guests at the adjoining sister hotel (Abou Sofiane) tended to take up a lot of the sun beds. There were enough sun beds but you needed to be up by break of day to get the ones near the pool. We used to roll up about 8.30 and again with a dinar tip the lifeguards would get us beds and mattresses. Slide pool was excellent. They were on for 2 hours in the morning and 2 hours in the afternoon. Warning: the main pool gets deep very quickly from the shallow end so watch out if you have less able swimmers. Indoor swimming pool is a great facility and has sauna rooms as well
Animation team. Great, fun team. Always providing entertainment but not intrusive. If you don't want to join in then they leave you alone. Very cheesy and unexciting evening shows.
Other entertainment. French boules, crazy golf course, darts, tennis court, table tennis, football pitch (in Abou Sofiane hotel which was a shared facility). Fitness room with weights gear and treadmills. Loads of water sport activities on the beach (extra charge e.g. 40 dinar for a 5 min parasail).
TV. Sports TV in the Lobby bar showing as much football and sport as you can digest. All Premier League games shown.
Wi Fi. Available in the lobby and surrounding bar area. We had no problems but heard others complaining.
Money. Cashier/exchange in hotel lobby run by the most miserable scrooge like character you will ever meet. Never smiles unless he's counting money. NOTE: you can't use debit cards in the hotel to get cash. There is a cash machine in the El Hambra hotel across the road. Remember you can't take Dinar out of the country. Mr Scrooge will give you a receipt for Dinar you need to change into sterling but you do the exchange at the airport going home not at the hotel.
Would I return to this hotel. Yes I would but as my wife pointed out you really are a captive audience staying there as there is nothing much going on outside the hotel. Recommended for a great family holiday.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The all-inclusive Hotel Riviera is located in a splendid environment, just 250 meters from the beach and features beautiful and elegant 4-star accommodation. All of the hotel's rooms and suites are well furnished, stylishly decorated and equipped with modern en suite facilities. You are sure to enjoy a view from your room of the swimming pool, the verdant garden or the sea. For meals and drinks Hotel Dessole Riviera Resort features 4 restaurants and a selection of bars. Enjoy international and local cuisine and a variety of drinks, cocktails and wines. The hotel is located in Port El Kantaoui just a short walk from marina and near a 36-hole golf course and the famous Sousse Medina. Hotel Rooms: 295 ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Ebookers, Agoda, HotelsClick, TripOnline SA, LoveHolidays, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Cancelon so you can book your Hotel Riviera reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Caribbean Village Riviera
- Hotel Riviera Tunisia/Port El Kantaoui