“Not that bad!”

Ranked #2 of 33 Hotels in Port El Kantaoui
Fife Scotland
“Not that bad!”
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for a week at the end of June/beginning of July with my husband. We have stayed in iberostar hotels before (which is why we booked) and this definitely didn't match up. However - it was quite reasonable for what we paid.

The queues at the airport security were very long as previous reviewers have said - they seem to have all flights arriving and departing at the same time and no staff to deal with it! There are 'porters' in the airport grappling to take you suitcase - unless you need a hand - hold on tight! They're after a tip!! The transfer to the hotel is around half an hour and the rep on this bus will ask you to leave a tip for the driver. (He accepts sterling - and probably most major credit cards too lol). On arrival we were taken to the piano bar, given a cocktail and asked to fill in forms. This didn't take long and then we were shown to our room.

Room - The room was lovely and spacious if a little bit dated. It was on the ground floor overlooking a garden area and nice and quiet. There's a fridge (empty) a TV (bbc world news) and the roomy bathroom with fantastic shower and hairdryer. If like me you like a hot drink when you first wake up, take a travel kettle with you and some tea/coffee as there are no facilities for this. Air con in our room was excellent though and the nice 'safe man' will come and show you how to work the safe ( around a pound a day I think). The room was kept well by the housekeeping staff.

Pool - nice pool - not very big but adequate for the size of the property. We didn't have any problem getting a lounger although my husband was out quite early in the morning. You will get towel cards at reception which you will swap for towels at the office next to the animation area. You just go back and exchange the towels whenever you need to. On leaving you just ask for towel cards back because you need to give them back to reception, or you will be charged! The animation team will periodically come around the pool asking if you'd like to join in with archery, pool games etc. if you don't want to, they won't hassle you.

Beach - gorgeous white sand and nice clear water. Loads of activities on offer - parasailing etc. passing traders offering cheap cigarettes etc (I wouldn't!) but no hassles.

Bars - first of all the spirits are likely to strip the enamel from your teeth so beware! The beer was ok but the white wine was yuk - can't speak for the red but others thought it was drinkable. The staff in the piano bar were lovely and would always remember your favourite drink. The bar itself is quite stuffy and old fashioned though. The pool bar staff not quite so good - I only ever went there for coffee (self service) but on taking my cup away one of the bar staff actually ASKED for a tip! Now I am quite happy to hand over a tip when it's deserved but really, to be asked for a tip for no service whatsoever is a bit of a cheek! The staff at this bar were a bit odd to say the least. On our first day I stood at the bar waiting to be served for ages only to be ignored, then three men rocked up behind me and the Bar staff fell over themselves to serve them! On another, I spent ages trying to get coffee out of the machine - the staff were all there but only when I was exasperated and asked if the machine was broken did they say 'yes - there is a problem with the electricity' very obtuse and unhelpful. These were the only staff I encountered to be like this though. Beach bar staff were excellent, always courteous and polite. We went into the 'shisha
cafe' and the gentleman in there was very nice as well as the guy in the coffee bar - that's where to go for a late evening snack too. There is also a sports bar which is billed as a typical british pub. It's actually more like a typical british community centre. We were in there frequently as the World Cup was on so they were showing the matches - three Tv's playing at three different speeds wasn't too good but the staff were nice and friendly.

Food - the buffet restaurant was excellent with very nice staff and varied food - the only time we were limited was when we were quite late one evening (8.30) but otherwise there were loads of different options, fish, chicken, beef, vegetarian etc., and beautiful desserts! Noticed someone always going around checking temperature etc too.

Rep - Thomas Cook rep Jennifer was very good - gave us good local info and didn't try to flog trips - she gave us leaflets about the trips and said if we wanted any info to get in touch with her.

Out and about - went into the port one evening - taxi from outside the hotel 5 dinar. The usual white knuckle ride. The port area is very nice - some lovely yachts moored here. The staff in bars/restaurants/shops will hound you for your business so be warned, you will be hassled constantly and have to haggle for everything. That was the only time we ventured out as we were really just having a relaxing holiday. A change of scenery from the hotel though!

Shopping - there is a jewellery shop in the reception area of the hotel and a couple of shops near the pool bar. The jewellery shop is selling Michael Kors watches, pandora bracelets etc which are clearly fakes - I'm surprised iberostar allow this! There's a shop selling Pringles, coke etc - not too expensive and the pool bar shops sell souvenirs (fridge magnets etc) and leather goods. I gather going to the shopping malls along the road is no better.

All in all we went for a week of R&R which is what we had - I wouldn't have wanted to be there with kids as I think that might've been a struggle to entertain them. The hotel is definitely in need to dragging out of the 1980's and not on a par with other iberostar hotels. Their best asset is their staff! (Most of them).

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Theresa269
IberostarHoteles, Online Reputation Manager at Iberostar Diar El Andalous, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Dear Theresa,

Firstly we would like to thank you for taking the time to share your personal impressions on your recent stay at our IBEROSTAR Diar El Andalous hotel. It is only through feedback such as yours that we are able to maintain and indeed, where necessary, improve upon the service that we provide to our valued guests.

We read your comments on our pool bar staff with our utmost attention and although it doesn’t seem to be reflective of the usual feedback we receive on their service, we will not fail to share your review with our head of department for revision and improvement; as pointed out in reviews related to tipping issues, we would like to stress that our staff is trained to offer the best service possible to all guests, regardless of being tipped or not; we will make sure to enforce this standard at all times.

Our hotel is designed to accommodate families; children are always very welcome among us and are kept entertained by our professional Mini Club staff who organizes a wide array of activities for our little guests to take full advantage of their stay, with enriching games and fun sport activities designed to expand kids’ horizons and create new friendships in a multicultural environment and we want to reassure you on this point.

The souvenir shop within our grounds is managed by an external company and not by IBEROSTAR; we will however pass on your comments to their Manager for information.

On the other hand, we thank you for pointing out the comfort of the room we accommodated you in as well as the efforts of our housekeeping staff to keep our accommodations spotless on a daily basis.

We also appreciate your praising comments on our buffets because at IBEROSTAR we know that meals are a very important aspect of our guests' overall holiday experience, this is why our professional Chefs strive on a daily basis to prepare a wide variety of typical local dishes as well as the best international delights in order to please all palates, it is very enjoyable to read that we could conquer yours.

Our staff strives to welcome each guest with the IBEROSTAR spirit and assist in any way possible to ensure everyone has a pleasant stay. Thank you for pointing out their genuine kindness and attentiveness; we will make sure to share your comments and let them know the positive impact they had on your overall holiday experience.

Once more, thank you for making us your choice hotel when visiting Tunisia; we hope that you had a pleasant journey back home and remain at your entire disposal through our call center to help you choose your next IBEROSTAR destination among more than 100 hotels in the most beautiful destinations worldwide.

Kindest Regards,
Online Reputation Manager
IBEROSTAR Diar El Andalous

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Carnoustie, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Sea view room honoured as requested and support from porter on arrival. Hotel and rooms cleaned to a high standard. Well done Samuel for your effort in getting to know the holidaymakers really well. I loved the club dance and was inspired by you, to join in with aqua aerobics every day. My favourite reggae music around the pool made the holiday extra special. Big thank you to Hamdi our waiter in the restaurant , who topped up the red wine with a smile every mealtime. Food plentiful and some tasty desserts. Pool games fun to watch and loved the dance show from around the world. Super dance moves by Jamaica. Big shout out to Kim for help with our sunbeds. You always had time for a chat. Reception staff lovely both on arrival and departure. You don't need to leave the hotel as all staff assure you are well looked after. Last but not least thanks to Ricky and Sharon and Dot and Ian for two fun filled evenings, great company.

Room Tip: Rooms on second floor
2 Thank Jane M
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 July 2014

We have just returned from this hotel and just cant understand the terrible reviews we have just read. They must have been at a different hotel to us or dreaming after a long day in the sun.
O.K here goes with our review.
The airport is a bit of a shocker if you are not expecting the long queues at immigration but you have to accept that you are in Africa not Spain where they just wave you through.
The coach trip was only 30 minutes from the airport and the thomas cook rep was very good.
At the hotel we were worried about the amount of time we would be waiting to get our room after reading bad reviews about the wait and having to fill forms in. Nothing to worry about though. We were guided to the piano bar and given the forms and a cocktail. Within 10 minutes the lady came and took our forms and we were told our room was ready. Bear in mind this was only 11am so i was impressed.
The room was amazing, really spacious. Apparently it was one that had just been refurbished.
The bed was huge and so comfy, the t.v was ok, not too much choice but who cares you only watch it while you are getting dressed to go out at night.
The maid cleaned it to a very good standard everyday even arranging our clothes on the bed. She cleaned the bathroom to an excellent standard even arranging our shower gels and body sprays into size order.
The breakfast was ok, standard continental stuff but all well prepared and a chef cooks the eggs while you wait so its clear everything is fresh. Lunch was good too, we enjoyed it best downstairs in the poolside dining room. Pizza and chips a plenty and freshly cooked tuna and chicken was excellent. The only problem was dinner at night. Sure it was nice but it became pretty repetitive. Eating out though is so cheap. go to the marina (5 dinar in a taxi). the choice is good. we found a great restaurant called la serina where 2 steak meals with beer was 50 dinar (£20 tops).
The animation team and staff were faultless always saying hello and working so hard (again i cant see what other people are on about when they say they don't do much)
It would have been better if one of the bars stayed open longer than midnight as we weren't getting back from the marina till 11ish. As for the reviews about no mineral water in the fridge surely its not hard to ask for some bottles in the bar.We asked for 2 on our first night and after that the waiter kept giving us 2 every night without us even asking.
The only bad experience was coming home . The queue for immigration is huge so bear that in mind when going home. Dont spend too long in the shops as you might miss your flight as some people did when we were there.
on our last night we both agreed we didn't want to come home that's how good an impression it made on us. All these bad reviewers must be expecting more than the hotel could offer. we went with our eyes open and we wern't disappointed. We would definitely go back.
TOP TIPS: TAKE A TRAVEL KETTLE AS YOU DON'T GET ONE AND GETTING A HOT DRINK FIRST THING MEANS A TRIP TO THE DINING ROOM. ONLY USE THE WIFI IN THE COMMUNAL AREAS AS YOUR MOBILE PHONE WILL COST YOU A FORTUNE AS WE FOUND OUT (£20 in the first day)

Room Tip: ask for one of the new rooms as the size hasn't changed but they are much brighter.
5 Thank jasonbiggin
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Hotel is well run and kept clean and tidy
Food is good I enjoyed the fried eggs for brekkie. Ice creams , yummy pancakes at 4 o'clock cottage pie for tea
Rooms are big the TV is big the bathroom is big the beds are big! And comfy
Our room was quiet on the ground floor by the garden
Entertainment could be better I enjoyed the piano man though
If you want a late drink go to the Irish bar they have a singer
All the staff are friendly even the gardeners waved ,the cleaners ,porters ,chefs,managers
The staff make you welcome in fact they make your holiday special
We loved the piano bar lassaad Jamel and co a good night in the local feeling
Only downside was the annoying what is my name man and I had my e reader stolen whilst sat in the grassy area and ball throwing in the pool

Room Tip: 107 to 121 quiet
4 Thank Charmaine M
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 July 2014

I can't fault this hotel.

I was here at the same time as a terrible review I've just read and really don't understand how any of that could have happened to them. I've been going to this hotel with my family for a long time now and every time we go, we're made to feel very welcome and everything is great.

All the staff are lovely, the food is excellent and I've never struggled to find something to eat even in my brief adventure into vegetarianism. The bars are always fully stocked, and I've never had a problem getting a drink.

As a 20 year old, the bars closing at 12 does give me a good excuse to get an early night, although there's plenty to do in the area if you want to.
Entertainment team work incredibly hard and do a great job, always managing to keep smiling even when they've been rehearsing till 2am.

I don't really know what else to add because for me there's nothing bad I can really say about this hotel. I just think people need to remember that to gain respect you have to give respect and then i'm sure you'll have a lovely holiday.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank tallywaa
Ely,Cambridgeshire
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Arrived at the airport with what seemed to be at least 4 other flights, queued for 2 hours before we even reached passport control, baggage collection was a mess, wrong flights named on baggage carousels, chaotic to say the least, the return flight was as bad, we arrived on our homeward flight flight 10 minutes before departure dispute bring in the sirport for over 2 1/2 hours!!!! We feel that the airlines should take some of the blame here as there were 8 flights scheduled to leave within a 1/2 hour slot!
On arrival at the hotel we were greeted by a very pleasant receptionist who suggested we had lunch while our room was being prepared, after lunch we were shown to our room, very clean, alight and cool!! Huge bed!!
The hotel is very clean but some areas require updating, the pool and beach are lovely, the lifeguards on the beach are very friendly and helpful,
The hotel is a little dated but always clean, our room cleaner was a lovely young lady, she was friendly and helpful and left beautiful decorations on our bed
This is our 2nd visit to this hotel, the only downside was being stung by a jellyfish after a thunder storm

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms are lovely, particularly room 182
3 Thank KarenN19
Dartford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 July 2014

This all inclusive holiday has been my best one yet. The arrival into tunisa was a little waiting around on the bus but hey what do you expect if you are so impatient to wait then a taxi would be a more suitable option for me. But I didn't mind the wait. The coach trip from Enfihda to Hotel was only 30mins.

On arrival at the hotel we was given a small cocktail which was just what was needed! I was impressed by the staff and we got checked in and given a wristband. Off we went to lunch.

Our room was on the 3rd floor with fantastic sea views, I could just not fault it.

Breakfast, Lunch and Dinners had large varieties, the wine was lovely and the overall staff are all very pleasant. Our room was chilled and lovely, the balcony was always cleaned and the maids are so polite.

I can't see where the bad reviews of this hotel are coming from, you book an all inclusive package and the drinks are local and the food is local but I could not fault it one bit.

If you are booking this hotel or already booked. DO NOT be put off by the bad reviews, they are just typical holiday makers with nothing better to do than post a bad review.

I would visit Iberostar and Diar El Andalous in the future. Thanks for a very pleasant holiday!!!

12 Thank Sophie P
Royal Kenz Hotel Thalasso & Spa
Royal Kenz Hotel Thalasso & Spa
#4 of 33 in Port El Kantaoui
Hasdrubal Thalassa Hotel & Spa Port El Kantaoui
Hasdrubal Thalassa Hotel & Spa P...
#11 of 33 in Port El Kantaoui
#6 of 35 in Sousse
Concorde Green Park Palace
Concorde Green Park Palace
#10 of 33 in Port El Kantaoui

Been to Iberostar Diar El Andalous? Share your experiences!