I chose this hotel based on trip advisor reviews as the best in Port el Kantaoui. Stayed here mid February solely to play golf. This is my second visit to Tunisia, stayed in Hammamet the first time to play golf too. Due to winter time the hotel was only half capacity so we were given a free upgrade to a sea view room. I wouldn't recommend to book and pay extra for seaview. Due to the trees you'll hardly see the sea. We stayed on all inclusive basis. The location is excellent for the purpose of our holiday, the golf course front gate is just 15 minutes walk and at the back of the hotel by the pool you can see some golfers playing the back 9 holes on the Sea course. Although the hotel is a bit dated what i noticed was the manner of cleaning the rooms once vacated by previous guests. The cleaning staff turns the room inside out, the floors washed down with buckets of water and even the top of the doors are wiped. I've never seen such exaggerated manner of cleanliness. Our beddings were changed 5 times out of our 7 days stay. We had a minibar in the room but unlike all hotels we've stayed in where it gets refilled daily with water, juices, chocolate bars and lager, this hotel leaves you with 2 bottles of water the entire week of stay and it's up to you to refill it by going down the bar. So if you forgot to refill your minibar and woke up feeling thirsty during the night you'll probably have to drink the tap water in the bathroom because the bar closes at midnight.
The breakfast: i was surprised they serve boiled aubergines, boiled cabbages and other boiled vegetables. No one touches them so i wonder why everyday they kept them on the menu when it's clearly nobody want to eat them. Such waste. The cheese and cold meat are not like what you are used to. The lowest class. Perhaps the catering budget cannot stretch to import cheese and cured meats from mainland Europe? I didn't go hungry, i ate doughnut and omelette the whole week. We go out from 9:00 every morning and back by 3:00 everyday. Between lunchtime and dinnertime The only food available are cold pizzas, little salad selection, olives, bread and endless cups of coffee. There is only one guy serving all week and he is so attentive and friendly. I think they don't have weekly day off. Menu at dinner time is hit and miss so when it's miss there is the wonderful pasta dishes cooked to your liking i fall back to. It may be they have good available ingredients but if the chef is not creative enough to put all excellent ingredients together he won't be able to produce quality food. I always do away with quantity for quality. Perhaps they should send their chefs to Turkey to train in their Iberostar chain.
The wifi is available only in the public areas. Safes are not free, you have to hire them. Taxis you have to agree on fare before you get on. They don't use seatbelts so be prepared to dig out dirty seatbelts from under the seats if you value your life. We walked along the beach towards the port of el kantaoui and pleasantly surprised by the atmosphere there. From the port going back to hotel we rode horsedrawn carriage for only £5.00. Unbelievably cheap. Going for a walk at night after dinner is quite safe and pleasant. We never got hassled by anyone.
If you want a place for a quiet holiday this is the hotel to stay. It's not perfect but got its positives if you try not to be over critical. I tried to book this again for March 2015 for one of our winter golf but Thomas Cook took it off from their brochure because i believe the hotel is going to do some refurbishment? I ended up booking Marhaba Palace instead.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Tunisians are masters of the art of flavour. That’s why, at the IBEROSTAR Diar El Andalous hotel you’ll find that secret ingredient to make your stay one to truly savour. Recently refurbished, this 5-star hotel in Sousse offers beautiful gardens to stroll around and direct beach access so you can enjoy a view of the Mediterranean throughout your holiday in Tunisia. A unique recipe with six secret ingredients. Starting with a privileged location. In Port El Kantaoui, 25 km from Monastir International Airport and 40 km from Enfidha-Hammamet, right next to a beach you can access directly from the hotel and see from the balcony of your room. Add to this the most exclusive service. You can choose from 372 luxury rooms, 82 of which are Star Prestige and give exclusive access to private areas such as the chill out terrace with Balinese beds, and personalised services such as late check-out. Unwind in the steam of the hammam. Enjoy complete oriental therapy at the SPA Sensations, and with the help of the waters and our experts, reach a new level of relaxation. Massages, relaxation pool and 5-star beauty treatments designed to stop time in its tracks. Sweet delights for the kids. The little ones will find a genuine treat here in Sousse: the Miniclub. A specially-designed area where they’ll have a whale of a time splashing in the children’s pool, dancing or being creative with some painting. Garnished with Tunisian spices. Relish the best North African cuisine, such as couscous or stuffed phyllo pastry; be amazed by the skills of our chefs at the show cooking; and visit remote areas of Asia and Italy without leaving your table in the themed restaurants. Give your taste buds a treat. And, repeat. Because between days spent by the pool, the live music at the bars, water sports, afternoons on the golf course in pleasant sunshine, or fitness sessions, there’s bound to be one thing you haven’t done - the perfect excuse to make this hotel in Sousse a destination you keep returning too. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Iberostar, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Iberostar Diar El Andalous reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Iberostar Diar El Andalous Hotel Port El Kantaoui
- Mercure Hotel Sousse
- Accor Diar El Andalous
- Diar Andalous
- Iberostar Diar El Andalous Tunisia/Port El Kantaoui