“Thoroughly enjoyed ;)” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #23 of 33 Hotels in Port El Kantaoui
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Thoroughly enjoyed ;)”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

I completely loved this place, the pool was fantastic, food was okay, outside the hotel looked a little like a dirty track but I loved Tunisia ;) The staff were so friendly even tho they have so little themselves!!

go, you won't be disappointed!

• Stayed September 2013
4 Thank princesscinders

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (308)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

First I'd like to warn you about airport porters! Want to take cases to coach for sizable tip! Say no! One couple had to pay £20!
We arrived at hotel just after 10, check in 2, but were given our wrist bands while we waited. Our room was ready just after 2. We were given our keys and asked for directions but were told a porter will take you. One appeared and we were last to go, so he put our cases on his trolley and gave us directions. He then appeared at our room and waited outside till another porter came and they each brought in a case! Double the tip! And quite unnecessary. The room was very dated and in a bad stated of repair. Light switch in toilet not working, cupboard containing fridge corroded and safe needed to be manipulated as prongs fell down. Room was clean enough and beds comfortable. We were in gold block, balcony over looking quiet pool, and shaded for most of the day.
The all inclusive bar was very poor looking and drinks, were served in plastic beakers for most of our stay( some had been chewed with teeth marks), there never seemed to be glasses! Drinks were served hot as diet coke not kept in fridge! The cola on draft was flat and very syrupy. They did do cocktails, or should I say 1 cocktail so if you don't like it, tuff!
The restaurant resembled a works canteen and it was like feeding time at the zoo, with a lot of pushing, queues and food on the floor( not hotels fault), and lots of flies. The food was bland and not to my taste, even pizza and panini tasted of nothing! So as a result we only had breakfast in hotel. Omelettes and fried eggs, but queues horrendous and only before 9.30.
We had 1 a la carte, which was lovely, served in restaurant behind the pay bar! Was like stepping into another world, lovely decorated and food was excellent and the staff very attentive.
We never managed to get a lounger at main pool as you have to be up at 5 am to put your towels down!
Snacks seem to be left overs from lunch and dinner, you could get a donut at pool but you had to pay for them( strange in an all inclusive).
Beware of the constant hassle from spa staff and people trying to sell excursions. Boat trip half the price if you book yourself at the marina.
The shop selling bags, very overpriced! Better to go to shops outside hotel, nice family shop on road outside think called Aladdin, very good prices and lovely people.
We found the staff to be unpleasant and seemed to be bickering amongst themselves a lot. Maid was nice although came into room several times a day without knocking! Counted 6 times on last day. Gave her 20 dinar tip, but she seemed unimpressed!
Although this was supposed to be a cheap all inclusive, it wasn't for us as I feel part of my holiday is to eat nice food, so eating out, although cheap all added up.
We were told the hotel had been sold whilst we were there and they planned to improve the dinning, talk of having a British restaurant but don't know if that's true.
If your going for a good drinking session and don't mind that drinks are hot, served in children's beakers and not fussed about what you eat, you might think it's ok. This was my first time to Tunisia, and last, so I'm not sure if this is what all hotels are like, but this hotel was by far the worst hotel I've ever stayed in.

• Stayed June 2014
5 Thank Carcam71
SovivaManagemement, Director of Sales at Soviva Resort, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for choosing Soviva Resort Hotel.
Thank you as well for your comments and remarks.
Would you please note that all Management are taking this review and these remarks on consideration and working on them in order to improve our service.
Hope that you are changing your mind and book again to be a repeat guest to our hotel and see the improvement.
Best regards

Travellers are raving about these Port El Kantaoui hotels

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

I came back today (july 5th) from a 10 night stay at the Soviva.
Room was a bit outdated but was clean and was only used for sleeping. Pool was amazing, always sunbeds and staff happy to help find one for you.
Had the most amazing waiter who looked after us everyday and made sure we had drinks and a table.
Staff always happy to have a conversation and are the best thing about this hotel. Even during Ramadan and in the heat, they did not disappoint.
Overall, nothing bad to say. Can't be petty about such a well priced.
Couldn't tip the staff enough!
Would 100% recommend and will definitely return! Brilliant holiday.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
11 Thank CaitlinWalters
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014

We stayed at this Hotel for 2 weeks in August 2013 with 2 Kids. We arrived late at night and were greeted by a receptionist who looked miserable to say the least, we were given our room keys and a bottle of water for the room and the porter took our cases to our room which was in a block of it's own near the back of the Hotel, there was a small pool at the side of our block which was a lot quieter than the main pool and was a great sun trap, we managed to get loungers there every day and the pool is shaded in the afternoon, so I wasn't worried about the kids getting burnt in the afternoon sun.

We had a family room which was spacious, basic but had everything we needed including. Small fridge and a wardrobe with a full length mirror. We had a double bed and a bunk bed in our room. The balcony was spacious with 2 plastic chairs, the only down side to the Balcony was that the sun wasn't on it for very long, so we didn't really make use of it. We were told that you could use the tap water to brush your teeth, but I wouldn't recommend this as the water was orange. The room itself was clean and the maids were very good changing the bedding and towels.

During the day the animation team worked extremely hard keeping the guests entertained, with pool games, dancing and various activities throughout the day on the stage. They are extremely talented guys and put on some excellent shows at the night time. The main let down was the Thomas Cook entertainment team, it was embarrassing watching them and I was cringing every time they got on the stage as all the guests were laughing at their attempts to sing and dance. Chelsey the poor guy thought he was amazing on the stage singing lady gaga and abba songs, I felt bad for actually watching him. The only other times we saw the Thomas Cook reps were during slide bingo, which in all honesty the kids loved, however the Tunisian Animation Team were amazing and much more entertaining and hard working.

We booked some excursions with The three men who sat in reception who took it in turns to pounce on us on our first day in the hotel. We booked the pirate ship, quad bikes and the camel trip. The trips were only half a day and to be honest, although I'm glad we did it to break up the holiday, I wouldn't do it again. The camels didn't look very happy and we spent most of the afternoon on a horse carriage driven by a small child because there wasn't enough camels to go round. My daughter was really sea sick on the pirate ship because it was so rocky, so we didn't really enjoy it, although the pirate show was very good. The Quad bikes were very old and mine broke down after 10 mins so I spend the rest of the afternoon riding on the back of the guide.

We did however opt to book the African experience with the Thomas Cook tour rep. It was quiet expensive for 4 of us, but it was our wedding anniversary so we decided to splash out. We spent the afternoon in the zoo looking at the fabulous animals and we got to feed the elephants and giraffes and the turtles. We got some amazing pictures and this was the best day of the holiday. We then went to a huge teepee and had an evening meal followed by Africa Zulu dancers and traditional Tunisian dancers and then taken back to the hotel. It was an amazing day that the whole family enjoyed and I would definitely recommend doing this trip over anything of the others on offer.

The food wasn't amazing, it was difficult to put a meal together as nothing seemed to go with anything else. It featured stews pretty much each night with some veg, and due to the hot weather and open doors the salad did have flies around it, but what do you expect in a hot climate, I just avoided this section of the dining room. The soup was nice and there was always something to edible, I think you have to be really fussy to complain about the food because they cater for a lot of people and there was plenty of choice and I didn't hear one person complaining while I was there, it was also Ramadan while we were there, so it would have been hard for those preparing our food and serving us throughout our stay. Outside they made pizza's and panini's to order which the kids had most of the time and the desserts was really nice. We had one meal at the a la cart restaurant, the food there was lovely and the service was amazing, well worth the visit.

The drinks did get boring, the beer was very watered down and the spirits were like drinking paraffin, so I stuck to shandy because it tasted nicer, it was refreshing and we wouldn't have got drunk on the lager anyway. They had bottles of diet coke behind the bar, so we had that throughout the day time, my only criticism is the plastic cups during the daytime, I fully understand why they have them, but they weren't very clean and I left a few drinks because of the state of the cups. We had a great waiter at night time, who was very attentive and remembered what we were all drinking at our table and kept everyone topped up all night.

On a whole the Holiday was good and we would go back there again in the future.

Room Tip: Buy from the market in the Hotel rather that the shops in port el kantaoui, we got ripped off at the...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank Leanne H
manchester
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014

we had 2 weeks in june and we really enjoyed it,hotel is similar to many 3* hotels all over europe that ive stayed in i.e some very good points,some points not so good that could be improved nothing that should stop enjoyment of a holiday i.m.o. and at least you could actually see the management trying out ways to improve even if all the attempts were not successful,starting with the mozzies.. only saw 1 in 2 weeks so the arsenal of repellants i took went completely unused,the food i found to very good and no complaints at all in that respect,yes i missed a full english in the morning but i found plenty to keep me happy,staff i found in the vast majority to be really friendly with particular mention to the happy older gardener,the guy making the omelettes in the morning and the very friendly photographer,apologies to any i missed cos 99% of you were great if your reading this,room was perfectly fine for our needs,tv was dated and a remote would have been good ,,the usual bbc world news channel but i also found an nbc channel that showed films all day long and good ones at that so that was a plus,bar service occasionally took a while but nothing to get excited about imo and generally acceptable for a 3*,they tried a couple of solutions to the early evening post dinner long q problem that sometimes occured at the bar so that may be resolved soon,the animation programme seemed to be clicking into gear in our 2nd week so i expect that will be good for those who want to be involved and the big slide alone should keep most kids happy for a while each day, the trips offered by the reps working within the hotel seemed to be enjoyed by all i spoke to,we did the camel ride and it was good plus my partner had the full spa treatment which she really enjoyed, overall i thought the hotel was great value for what we and most of the people i spoke to paid .now for the 'however'... if you are like us and enjoy exploring the area you're in plus maybe going for a stroll at night then think carefully because no matter if its the road outside the hotel or the harbour or the city of sousse you will get hassled constantly or have people try to scam you,it got to the point that if i did leave the hotel i trusted and spoke to no one if possible and that for me is the sole reason i will not be going back to tunisia in a hurry which is a shame,the only time i could seemingly go out for a walk and speak to genuine nice people not out to rip me off was early morning before the shops opened and the scammers got up, hope this is a fair review and helps someone and feel free to ask me if i havent covered anything

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank blue025
Nottingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

Just returned a week ago after a one week stay at the Soviva Resort. The first thing to say was that we enjoyed the holiday. Regarding the hotel the pool area was great and the food was very good. Whilst our room was clean and obviously recently redecorated some areas of it still remained tired (rotten door casings, dirty tile grouting, cracked toilet seat, etc). It also had one of the oldest working TV's sets on the planet that could only muster 9 channels (the only English one being a very grainy BBC World). The A/C worked well however and the beds were very comfortable. Speaking with several other guests however it would appear that not all of the rooms were as comfortable as ours. Re: the entertainment there had obviously been some disruption with the prior animation team being sacked / walking out (dependent upon what rumours you believed). However the shows / entertainment that were put on were still a million miles better than anything you would - for example - in Eygpt. The service levels generally throughout the hotel could best be described as 'fair'. For example the room maid service was variable with several very minor issues occurring over the holiday. Having experienced what I thought was every variation possible with regards to these minor errors I thought that they couldn't get it wrong on the last day: wrong again... On the last day they took all the towels (without leaving replacements) and didn't make up the room at all!! Also there were occasionally long queues at the bar in the evenings (which they tried - with only partial success - to resolve by opening the pool bar at night) and the level of waiter service in the Restaurant clearly deteriorated during the week, to the point where we started fetching our own drinks from the bar. The A La Carte restaurant surroundings were nice, the service good but the food only passable (I preferred the buffet food). A key gripe for me was the yellow card system for reserving tables during our stay. The idea is that you find and reserve a table in the buffet restaurant for the whole of your stay by placing and keeping your card on the that table. THIS IS CRAZY and resulted (when the weather was nice) in all of the unreservable outside tables being full with diners whilst the virtually all of the inside tables were empty due to them being reserved!!! Lunacy personified!!! They should scrap this system immediately!!!

If you like the beach then I would suggest that Soviva Resort isn't for you. Whilst it does have a private beach (complete with beach bar and snack bar) its a good 300 metres away and is only accessible via a side road (there really ought to be a minibus service to take you down / bring you back). Whilst the beach itself was OK there was a huge amount of dead seaweed at the water's edge that was around 1 metre in depth and 300mm in height all along the beach (something which I certainly didn't fancy walking through to get to the sea). IMHO you are far better off sticking to the pool!!!

One of the reasons for some of the disruption was the fact that the hotel was actually sold whilst we were there. We met the new hotel General Manager when we were dining in the A La Carte restaurant. He stated that he had been in post for a week and asked our opinion on our stay. In only wanting to hear about things that we would want improving it is possible that things will actually improve in the future. I guess the acid test for any holiday is whether you would go back there. Our experience of Soviva Resort is that, whilst it wasn't a perfect holiday I wouldn't be totally against giving it another go next year at the right price. However it would definitely need to improve next time on it performance this year.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Garry44
washington
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

Just returned from Soviva Resort and it has to be the worst holiday we have had, arrived at ten and had to wait four hours to get our rooms which were just basic, the beer was very watered down and the soft drinks were like syrup, the food was disgusting always cold and you were forever waiting for plates, forks spoons etc, the entertainment was rubbish, the staff were ok when they were being tipped. I would advise anyone who is booked into this hotel to change it if they want to enjoy their holiday.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank janice077
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your review of your stay at our hotel. We appreciate all guest feedback and we are disappointed that you were not one of those guests who walked out satisfied. Please know that we are very sensitive about the guest satisfaction. We’lI always take time to talk to our guests. We are also sorry that you did not find our hotel as good as your past experiences.
Your feedback was addressed to our executive team and we are working very hard to take immediate precautions to make sure all of our guests are very happy.

Kind regards
Thank you again for your comments and we sincerely hope that you visit us once more to see the improvements.

Greetings from sunny TUNISIA!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Port El Kantaoui
Seabel Alhambra Beach Golf & Spa
#4 of 33 in Port El Kantaoui
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,417 reviews
Hasdrubal Thalassa Hotel & Spa Port El Kantaoui
Hasdrubal Thalassa Hotel & Spa P...
#11 of 33 in Port El Kantaoui
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,876 reviews
El Kantaoui Center
El Kantaoui Center
#14 of 33 in Port El Kantaoui

Been to Soviva Resort? Share your experiences!