“Beautiful rooms and terrible food”

El Hana Hannibal Palace Hotel
Ranked #25 of 33 Hotels in Port El Kantaoui
Prague, Czech Republic
“Beautiful rooms and terrible food”
Reviewed 23 August 2014

Weekly stay in hotel El Hana Hannibal Palace us quite enough. We arrived at 7 am and the room we are in the heat of 32 ° C waited until 1pm. The room was really beautiful with a beautiful terrace overlooking the sea and harbor. I have konststovat that the room was very clean and throughout our stay the maid well cared for.
AWFUL FOOD
Chef of the hotel should immediately throw out! She can not cook! Food disgusting, meat tough and overcooked every time. Tasteless salads and dressings, fruit often moldy. On the tables dirty tablecloths, cutlery grubby. In the dining room, everything was disgusting and neglected maintenance reluctant. This is perhaps nowhere have I seen in my travels.
SEA DIRTY
Swimming was possible only in the pool. The sea was terribly dirty, full of garbage. The beach was littered with mountains of plastic that anyone clear. But the pool was well maintained and clean, but full of people, because no one went to sea.
EXCELLENT LOCATION OF THE HOTEL
The hotel is a few minutes from the center of Port El Kantaoui, where there are plenty of entertainment, restaurants and shopping.
Overall hotel not recommended, 2 stars.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the sea. On the other hand, the funfair, which roared into the night.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 1000Pavel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Ljubljana
Reviewed 23 August 2014

Magnificent building that dominates the very center of Port El Kantaoui looks like it was taken from "The Stories From The 1001 Nights". Even more magnificent is the hotel lobby with almost countless light bulbs hanging from the ceiling. Stayed with the family of 6 for one week in the hotel. We took two rooms with three beds in each. Because we had two rooms in two different stories we asked if we can get two adjacent rooms - the hotel staff didn't make any problems. Rooms are big, but not cleaned so well, in the toilets the bath tub was almost jammed, it took ages before the water in the tub was gone. The food was OK, spicy, as expected, but the hygiene in the restaurant was poor. We had the same tablecloth for the whole week. The hotel complex (the yard and the pool area) is clean, but as soon as you come out of the complex there are piles of rubbish and all kind of waste lying around. To cut the long story short, a guest coming from Europe will have to lower his/her expectations in order to feel comfortable in this hotel. The hotel has 4 stars, which is an exaggeration.

Room Tip: Do not choose rooms with windows and balconies on the hotel front - there is an amusement park right...
Poulton Le Fylde, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 August 2014

Myself and my 15 year old son stayed at this hotel from the 13-20 August 2014. Our board basis was half board.
Upon arrival at the hotel I was greeted by a couple of visa type applications placed on the counter. We were not welcomed in any way, shape or form. I completed our forms and was then asked to wait in reception until our room was ready. First impressions of the hotel were not great and the place looked very dated and tired. Our room was on the 3rd floor above the outdoor entertainment area, which I didn't have a problem with until the horrendous noise (tunisian dance/rave music) which came from it until 1am. Most of the carpets in the hotel were stained and worn out, it really does need urgent attention. The room itself was atrocious, cigarette burns in the carpet and an awful musty, stale smell. The cleaner did come in and change our towels and bedding regularly. I will explain why: the air conditioning unit made a loud screeching sound when turned onto the 2nd out of 3 possible settings. This made the task of cooling the room near impossible at night due to the noise. Secondly the television in the room resembled something you may find in a refuse collection site. The front was missing and the hotel had the ordasity to ask for a 10 dinar charge for the remote. The only English channel was a movie channel with Arabic subtitles. I found this to be most inconvenient as I like to keep up to date with UK news daily. The hotel do not provide a safety deposit box in the room as you may expect. The procedure for this is a bank of security deposit boxes behind reception. The charge for this is 10 Dinar rent (£3.50) per week and 10 Dinar refundable deposit. Personally I was not comfortable with this as I like to know have my documents safe and around me while in the room.

When it came to meals I was presented with a small yellow card. Both of our names were on it, and meal times circled in pen. How did I know where to go to eat ? I was not informed of where the restaurant was and found it myself. I went for dinner at the time I was told and was presented with my waiter for the week. He seemed like he could be helpful, and I stress seemed. I ordered 2 bottles of water to accompany our food. The buffet menu was limited to say the least. Due to the huge number of multiple nationalities at the hotel I found the experience daunting and problematic. The hotel has a mixture of salads on offer along with chicken and pasta. Personally I opted for pizza. The chef cooked pizzas from his station and placed the pizzas on the counter for guests to help themselves to. I took a pizza to share with my son and recieved some very peculiar looks from the chef, as if I was not allowed to do so. Really ? 1 pizza between 2 people ! hardly greedy I felt.

Our waiter approached me the next night and asked me for money to cover the water I drank the previous night. The hotel policy is food only, you pay for all drinks. I informed him I was not happy being approached in the restaurant in front of my son and other guests and informed him I would pay the 6 dinar promptly at reception as I did not have dinar at that point. I paid at reception the following morning. The price was actually 5dinar 300. (5.3dInar). Why would he ask for 6 dinar ? I explained the following night I had paid he then proceeded to inform me I did not understand and hadn`t paid. I do consider myself as able to understand how to pay 5.3 dinar (£2) he told me all this while I was sat eating my pizza in front of my son and other guests.

The matter was resolved at reception, after I managed to speak with one of the team. Incidentally we ate out from day 2 onwards, lunch and dinner. We used the restaurant for pizza aound 6.30pm before eating out around 9pm each night. The restaurant is hot and humid most of the time. There is no air con.

Before travelling to this hotel be aware the website states the hotel has direct access to the beach. This is true in a fashion. The beach the hotel has is about 30 meters long, The charge for a mattress for your sun lounger is 1 dinar per day. I found the beach to be untidy and the smell from the port next door was disgusting.

After visiting Tunisia earlier this month with my partner, I found this hotel and staff to be lacking in many areas. The hotel is not an reflective of all Tunisian hotels and my other reviews confirm this. It is certainly worth spending the extra and selecting a hotel that knows about how to look after paying guests. If you are comfortable with multiple Nationalities on your holiday and very few English, this hotel would be great for you. I will certainly not be returning to this hotel and would urge anyone thinking of visiting to reconsider.

Room Tip: Choose another Hotel
7 Thank Peterjw76

Travellers are raving about these Port El Kantaoui hotels

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Just returned from a 7 day stay at Hannibal Palace on 09/08/2014 on Half Board basis .

This was our third trip to Tunisia staying previously at 4 star hotels in Sousse and Mahdia and so far the accommodation has been fine. However; we did not enjoy the holiday this time as we both felt the hotel was a big let us down .
We travelled to Tunisia during High Season so one would expect all the facilities advertised in brochures and websites to be available sadly Hannibal Palace doesn't measure up to that promise . The hotel appears to be reliant on facilities available in bygone days rather than present day ie: out of four restaurants advertised only two restaurants were open . The Atlas and the Grill were closed and spying through dirty windows we could only deduce from their neglected appearance they had not been open in some considerable time . Food in the only main restaurant The Aida was second rate and at times inedible . We did try the beach restaurant for lunch and the food was quite good but there was only one person to wait on all the tables , serve drinks and clear them away . On one occasion we waited up to two hours for our order to arrive whilst sitting amongst the dirty tables . After that we dined on the Marina where the food was perfectly cooked and delicious .

The hotel which looks as though it had been something in its day is rundown and badly in need of updating . The electric sockets were hanging off the wall in the dining room a good five inches and dangerously close to diners particularly children .Security boxes in the room behind reception do not look very safe as some appeared to have been broken into .Two out of the four lifts were not working and sometimes all four were not working . Power cuts were frequent and we were forced to walk down unlit corridors Garden and walkways are poorly lit . The outside fire escape was littered with rubbish and the emergency lighting had all been broken on our side of the building and not working . A bed frame cluttered the corridor to our room and the carpet in the corridor was so sodden it stank .Although our room was spacious and clean we did report a problem earlier in the week as every time we turned the shower on it flooded the adjacent toilet area . Staff on reception took note but no one bothered to come out and we were left with the problem that I felt we were staying in a low budget /hostel accommodation rather than a 4 * hotel . The indoor pool was unusable . The level of service was poor .The reception staff appeared to be rude . The staff were dismissive and at time ignored me making me wait even though I was the only person standing at the reception. I felt this was because I was an English speaker very few members of staff could speak English .The main language used is Arabic and French . I felt we had been miss sold this holiday and we will never go back there or recommend this hotel to anyone else.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank cgb62
Reviewed 14 August 2014

El Hana Hannibal Palace Hotel is a good place to stay around the Port El Kantaoui. This hotel offers quality services (good entertainment, good services staff room and the reception service). A stay satisfying the needs and expectations that we may have in coming to discover the famous harbor. We will come back;)

• Stayed August 2014
2 Thank MariemTouness
Galway, Galway, Ireland
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Just home after lovely relaxing at Hannibal Palace.Would love to go back.Two guys for mention.Guy at pool bar, thanks for all the lovely cocktails and for being so friendly.The other young guy worked around pool area,was very pleasant to two ladies from Ireland.Thanks guys. Pauline.

Room Tip: Had lovely room on fourth floor with sea view. Very quiet.
1 Thank Pauline S
Haverfordwest, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Stayed at this hotel for 11 nights, reception staff I found very rude, pool is really nice but cleanlinesx awent down hill as the pool was not cleaned daily, rooms very outdated but had a lovely view from our room, view was the marina with fantastic yaughts & catamarans, no entertainment the 1st 7 days we stayed, cleaning staff we found were very polite & always greeted you with a smile, food in the restaurant was very poor, very little choice, didnt have a toaster, no jams, very disappointed!!!!! Although we were half board we found ourselves eating out most nights!!!! Would not visit or stay at this hotel again, must say the animation boys were very polite & talked to all the guests wich was nice, really nice boys, even in the bar in the evenings sumtimes u had to w a it 20 min for a coffee or drink & then was short changed every time!!!! Really this hotel needs to refurbish the bedrooms honestly a big let down considering the reception area was all marble & looked classy, also only 1 lift working, 3 lifts were out of order, the food needs looking at, needs more choice of food !!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends