“Avoid this Hotel”

Houria Palace Hotel
Ranked #26 of 33 Hotels in Port El Kantaoui
Reviewed 17 May 2013

If you are from Britain, expect a very frosty reception and lack of hospitality from the staff. This is even worse if you are not Caucasian as we found out very quickly. The facilities are dated and the food is rubbish. Be prepared for French people to hog the power outlets for 5-6 hours at a time.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Tabbaranx

Reviewed 21 April 2013

Had a great holiday at this hotel, but the cleanliness of our room was absolutely terrible.
We had to complain after 6 days because our bedding had not been changed, we were there for
2 weeks. Eventually it was sorted, but waiters in resraurant were lovely, food bit samey but
always something to eat. Sometimes you had to warm it in the microwave. Bar staff good, some
very lazy. Entertainment rubbish, but if you meet nice peop[le you make your own entertainment.
One thing was had to pay for water even on all inclusive, find this extreme. Would not go to this
hotel again.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Carol L
Reviewed 9 April 2013 via mobile

This was our 8th stay in this hotel in 5 years. Staff are friendly and service is excellent.
Rooms are basic but cleaned daily with fresh sheets and towels. Its possible to get a fridge in your room for a small fee.
We always go B&B as we like to go out and about, so can not comment on food.
It was a quiet time of year to go so limit entertainment.
Excellent value for money if you just need a clean room, clean pool, sun lounger and want to be close to port/fountain. 5 minute taxi straight into Sousse.

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed 19 March 2013

We stayed in this lovely hotel for 6 days on a half board basis. It was very clean everywhere the room was of a good standard and we were more than happy with it. The hotel is very close to kantoui centre and a short taxi ride to sousse town centre.
The food was very nice, very European taste wise. There was ample choice. The staff were friendly.
The only downside was that the lifts kept breaking down and did not work at all for the last 3 days.

• Stayed: March 2013
3  Thank Catherine F
Reviewed 24 February 2013

Second time in Tunis this year. I arrived very early morning Monday 18th to a nice welcome by the receptionist and shown to my room which was well furnished and clean.

Unfortunately I was quite ill for the rest of the week so confined to my room 95% of the time.
When changing money he next day no receipt received from the surley male receptionist...an oversight perhaps? I asked was there an English channel he replied no. Fortunately Kamesh a general worker came to the rescue and tuned the television to get Fox movies which saved my sanity.

Food wise, can't really comment as no appetite but on about four occasions I asked for room service
ie milk and fruit as was unable to make it to the restaurant , there wasn't a problem until one evening I spoke to Mehmir I believe who was abrupt , told me room service wasn't provided , ring another number and who was very off putting. I think a customer service course might be in order.

One late afternoon, to have a break from my room sat in in the bar area where the piano is pushed up against the wall,I tried to read but I would say half the lighting doesn't work.Weirdly disco music started around 6.30 with laser lights flashing.... this is for a clientle of 90% over seventy , yes Germans but I knew that anyway from previous reports so didn't phase me. No idea what happens afterwards.

Yes lift broke numerous times, use the workers lift in the kitchen

Cannot comment on activities as not able to partake. The Tunisian people I have found very kind and helpful, pity I came upon the exception

One late afternoon

Room Tip: The above is a not a true reflection as sleep was bad but that was due to circumstances, location we...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 February 2013

WE- arrived at the Hourria palace mid afternoon- we were met by a very rude recepsionist- this was our 17th visit to Tunisia and never before have we been greeted like this,
The bell boy was lovely and showed us to our room- It was very shabby but we thought well it is clean so we will make the best of it, after getting washed and changed we went down for our evening meal - food cold plates cold and they only cater for Germans we had soup it was cold- so we said forget it,
So we went into the entertainment room to find only German music playing- and it was bitter cold but they would not close the door no matter how many times we asked, we were like fish out of water
after a night sleep we thought things might be better- so we went down for breakfast -I had a cup of tea and my husband did manage a cold hard boiled egg- we went to the reception and ask if they would ring our rep.as we needed to move-after lots of phone calls we did manage to get into the Marhabra palace plus another £350-it was worth it- wont make this mistake again.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank linnyloouk
Reviewed 30 September 2012 via mobile

Our 7th time at Houria Palace, upon arrival a warm welcome from friendly staff.
Again good value from money, unable to comment on food and entertainment as we did not use these facilities this time.
Only issue was our room was not being cleaned well, after complaining this was sorted out.
Pools as always were clean and well maintained each day, plenty of sun lounger avaliable.
Overall a pleasant stay and will be returning again.

• Stayed: September 2012