“My second time and I loved it again”

Golf Residence Hotel
Blackburn, United Kingdom
“My second time and I loved it again”
Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

Many people give mixed reviews about this hotel. I have stayed here twice in the last 2 years. This time we stayed for 2 weeks. 14-28th May 2014. Weathers brilliant, some overcast days but you can expect that anywere. Quads 35 dinar, boat rides 20 dinar 2 hours. We did the Sahara experience this time and I would do it again. Just short of £100.. you get picked up outside the hotel early, around 6.30. You travel 700miles in total down south. Many things to see. El Jem a magnificent old roman empire building, Both sets of the star wars, Cave houses, Salt desert lake, the huge mosc, 4x4 off roading and of corse the sahara desert camel experience the best part. Theres more included but I have covered the main things. You stay over night at a 5 star hotel. Its brilliant. You also have a amazing lunch in a 5 star hotel on the way back home for lunch (best food I ate in tunisia). The hotel its self (golf residence) I love. Not too posh not too out dated. We had a ground floor room below reception with a beautiful balcony view of the pool. Although we suffered with cockroaches we had 3 then decided wr wanted to move rooms. We had 2 choices and they brought us complimentary fruit and wine for the inconvenience. Staff were very helpful will do anything you ask of them. Food, okay. I am a fussy eater and managed fine. Spaghetti, chips, chicken, turkey, fish, french bread, soup. I could go on... I enjoy Tunisia so much. I am a young girl and my friend too. 20-21 years, so yes we received hassle from a few tunisians. But you learn to deal with it, they are polite and just want to say hello... absolutely harmless. The beach is great, pedalos, banana boat, jet ski alsorts. Staff there friendly too. Theres a horse and cart to take you there and back but its a 10 minutes walk. Not far, I give the horse a break its not fair on it carrying so many people including a huge cart. Walk its a nice walk. Water park across road open this time. 25 dinar for an adult. Brill. Lazy river, slides, wave pool. Loved it, spent a few days there. I hope this review has helped and I will answer any questions new people who haven't been before want to know. I am like a local now. Hope you enjoyed

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Katie W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (331)
  • Polish first
Clydebank, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We stayed at this hotel some 5 years ago and the standard of the food was a big issue, presentation, quality, and not very warm in some cases. We were glad to see that in all these areas this had vastly improved during our stay, and the snack bar at the poolside was a huge improvement all round. Some people still complained about the choices available, but we must remember that this hotel not only caters for us 'Brits' but Dutch, Poles and of course their own people who use the hotel, so it is not exclusive to UK holiday makers. The rooms are clean but do not have tea making facilities which would be better than a TV in your room as some guests seem to have a hearing problem. One guest commented on the 'grey' towels which does happen to white after a while, but they were clean. In general we had a good holiday and no complains to speak of. Go with an open mind and enjoy, remember their standards are not ours.

Room Tip: When booking your holiday ask for a room overlooking the pool or at the back of the hotel, avoid roo...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rodmcneil
Nottingham
Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

Have been in much better hotels at same cost.
Room cleanliness and comfort was poor, change sheets once per week, bed was like sleeping on a bag of rags do not look beneath the pillow slip or sheet as I did there was nowhere to sit in the room. TV would not tune in, Bathroom falling apart loose toilet bowl cracked tiles, grey off white towels. Feet marks on walls removed one easily with cloth rest still there when I left, cleaner was really poor, but nice lady. No sun beds available after 6.am all had towels on them and most not even used for most of the day. Food was very basic, table clothes never changed just turned. Hotel is ran on a fix by complaint basis so will always be low standard. Don't expect European standards for the same hotel cost, expect the worse and hopefully be surprised. If your a smoker then you will love this joint because smoking is accepted anywhere.
On an high note the local people are very nice and friendly and polite and we felt safe wherever we went.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Port El Kantaoui hotels

Beverley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Rooms. They are average, little dated spacious and clean but all you want is a comfy bed. sheets and towels are changed daily. although you do have to wait till late afternoon for towels to arrive. I would recommend e mailing ahead to request a QUIET pool view room unless you want no sleep with the disco noise from next doors building. a lot of people were changing rooms and they were happy to oblige.

Restaurant. Meals ok always something to eat sweets lovely, also we had strawberries every night, don't be afraid of the food they must employ a food inspector and we saw him taking samples every day, never ever seen this before in hotels. never heard of anyone with tummy troubles.

Private beach. this is a 10 -15 min walk but there is a courtesy horse and carriage that takes you there every half hour which would be good to use first day to see the way,(the driver a lovely old man would welcome just a 1 dinar tip) rep tells you left right and left again from hotel but when you see the beach you take the other left this leads you to Cancun Beach. Think you would struggle to get a sunbed in peak season so make sure your down early, there is also water sports down there lovely blokes not too pushy neither.
It is 1 dinar (38p) for sunbed and parasol all day cant be bad.

Port El Kantanaoui has a lovely harbour full of expensive boats, I would have liked to see more inviting pub types with the prices of drinks outside felt it was more restaurant type, Was told there was only 1 supermarket in the whole town which sells beers wines and spirits, so I will tell you where it is. (next door to the zoo) There is also a largish funfair with big rides and opposite the Golf there is a large splash water park.

Hotel beer is Pint of draft 6 dinar (£2.27) and a bottle 330 size is 4 dinar (£1.52) and supermarket price for beer was 6 small cans 6 dinar

To sum up would we go back? yes if the price if right again.

Room Tip: all pool view rooms would be quieter because of the disco next door.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank yorkshirelass69_11
Ayr, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Just back from a two week holiday, this is my third time in the golf, never met so many whingers.This is a great hotel, nothing fancy, but that's all you need, my theory is if you don't like it,well don't go back, we will be back again this year and will be greeted by the best staff ever

Room Tip: If you don't like loud music ask for a room at the back of the hotel
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Kath1949
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

We booked this as a last minute short break in 2011. Stayed here for a week, the location was good as it was only a 10 minute walk to the port and the donkey cart to the beach wasn't bad either. The entertainment staff were friendly but the performances were repetitive. The water park over the road was a little noisy at times.

Not bad for a last minute beach break but would not be my first choice of destinations.

Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rebecca B
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 May 2014

Sat in reception waiting for transfer, the hotel itself is good didnt care what it looked like aslong as clean as wasn't in it much!, food was good, evening meal was excellence and different, only eggs for breakfast and pancakes. The animation team were very good they tried their hardest to please and all really talented dancers. The night club was good when busy but very Loud, luckily didn't hear it much in our room 143, the people in tunisia do pester you but just
Look ahead! The only thing that I didn't like was having a massage which was excellent but she kept answering her phone in the middle of it!
I am coming back in July so hopefully will have the same experience :) !

• Stayed May 2014
Jinene & Royal Jinene Hotels
Marhaba Beach Hotel
Marhaba Beach Hotel
#3 of 35 in Sousse

Been to Golf Residence Hotel? Share your experiences!